IGNORED

LJ to West Brom?

Jacki

45 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I thought I was the pedantic one?! Mick McCarthy has done an amazing job at Ipswich under harsh budgetary constraints that haven’t applied to Bristol City managers over the same period....he’s spent £5.5m on transfers in six years, we spent almost that amount on Fammy this season.....that says it all....Mick performs miracles despite having hardly any money to spend on transfers...he’s a wily, wise, experienced, proven manager...I’d love to have him here...but he will probably be the West Brom manager next season...

Don't disagree what a good job MM has done at Ipswich spending very little, but that doesn't mean he would do a good job if given bigger funds...GJ did a great job spending very little, then when he was given more dosh we made a series of really poor value signings (the infamous Styvar and others)...

That said I agree with those that have commented on spending £5.3m on Fammy, who although has shown he can hit a great strike, at other times appears 'Bas Savage' like. I doubt we would get our money back for him if he was to move on...

5 hours ago, nickolas said:

Yes we’ve also had income of c£20m, but i didnt say nett spend did i!

Ok - so just let us know how this is "wasteful"

Your comment is almost Russian in a fake news type of way.

LJ gets to spend less than what he's been told to sell.He may not be the right Manager for many but at least keep to the facts please . If you had said he's had a dire run and pretty unacceptable run since Christmas then fair enough but please don't descend into last season's - 'every thing he does and everything he is is shit'.

Just now, old_eastender said:

Don't disagree what a good job MM has done at Ipswich spending very little, but that doesn't mean he would do a good job if given bigger funds...GJ did a great job spending very little, then when he was given more dosh we made a serious of really poor value signings (the infamous Styvar and others)...

That said I agree with those that have commented on spending £5.3m on Fammy, who although has shown he can hit a great strike, at other times appears 'Bas Savage' like. I doubt we would get our money back for him if he was to move on...

I think we’d make money on Famara.  That’s the market.  Think he could easily go for £7-8m.  Although I think he’s not always pleasing to the eye, there are times when he does some excellent stuff.

Pre-injury, league games only, he’d started 11 (2 sub), scored 5 (plus 1 from the bench) and in those games he started our record was P11 W4 D6 L1 Pts18.  If you include the subs it was P13 W5 D6 L2 Pts21.

So he was part of an effective points scoring team, contributing a good ratio of goals to games during that period.

I think that looks attractive to potential suitors, plus he’s only 25 too.

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think we’d make money on Famara.  That’s the market.  Think he could easily go for £7-8m.  Although I think he’s not always pleasing to the eye, there are times when he does some excellent stuff.

Pre-injury, league games only, he’d started 11 (2 sub), scored 5 (plus 1 from the bench) and in those games he started our record was P11 W4 D6 L1 Pts18.  If you include the subs it was P13 W5 D6 L2 Pts21.

So he was part of an effective points scoring team, contributing a good ratio of goals to games during that period.

I think that looks attractive to potential suitors, plus he’s only 25 too.

The ten games before his injury vs the ten games before he came back....?!

45 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Ok - so just let us know how this is "wasteful"

Your comment is almost Russian in a fake news type of way.

LJ gets to spend less than what he's been told to sell.He may not be the right Manager for many but at least keep to the facts please . If you had said he's had a dire run and pretty unacceptable run since Christmas then fair enough but please don't descend into last season's - 'every thing he does and everything he is is shit'.

He is wasteful!

hes got millions of pounds of signings out on loan or not in the squad. 

Wasteful!!

17 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The ten games before his injury vs the ten games before he came back....?!

Just to clarify, do you mean compare the 10 games before he got injured versus the 10 games after he came back....or the 10 games (before he came back) when Pato was partnering Reid?

7 minutes ago, nickolas said:

He is wasteful!

hes got millions of pounds of signings out on loan or not in the squad. 

Wasteful!!

Another who simply doesn't get the recruitment policy at City.............:disapointed2se:

Jeez.......it's bloody hard work on here sometimes..........:facepalm:

I see some think MM would do a good job at City. Well.........he was severely criticised by the faithful Tractor Boys for his dreary and turgid football he produced at Ipswich. They had enough of his uninspired style and turned on him. Now he's gone and the fans played huge part in him leaving the club. MM was certainly not impressed by their attitude towards him.

Anyway......Its a moot point as there's no vacancy at City right now.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Another who simply doesn't get the recruitment policy at City.............:disapointed2se:

Jeez.......it's bloody hard work on here sometimes..........:facepalm:

It depends whether Engvall or Moore make it here and justify the £3m combined we spent on them.

As for the players not on loan, Eliasson, Diony (loan fee + wages), Kent (loan fee + wages + penalty clause), Hegeler, O’Neil, you could say we’ve spent a lot of money for not many games.  I’ve not included Walsh, nor Magnüsson....and Eliasson is on my list, because I think he should’ve been given more minutes if only from the bench.

The recruitment POLICY I'm very happy about....the EXECUTION of it current raises a lot of question marks!  You must agree with that, if not fully, to some degree?

3 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

I've read a few times that he currently has his dream job. I get the impression from a few of his interviews and press conferences that he might be getting a bit peed off with things. Perhaps the people running the club aren't matching up to his ambitions. 

Tbf it’s the same as a player, or any employee in any industry.

As a player, you may support the side you play for (Bryan, Reid), but you may not think the side can achieve a level up to your level in the time you have. So you move. Nobody is slating BR or JB for maybe moving.

It may be LJs dream job, as it may be BR/JB dream to succeed with BCFC. But if LJ doesn’t think he can achieve what he wants to with BCFC, irrespective of whether he wants to, why wouldn’t he move to a better bet?

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Tbf it’s the same as a player, or any employee in any industry.

As a player, you may support the side you play for (Bryan, Reid), but you may not think the side can achieve a level up to your level in the time you have. So you move. Nobody is slating BR or JB for maybe moving.

It may be LJs dream job, as it may be BR/JB dream to succeed with BCFC. But if LJ doesn’t think he can achieve what he wants to with BCFC, irrespective of whether he wants to, why wouldn’t he move to a better bet?

True.

Nothings forever and the thought of a difficult summer might just push him over the edge.

26 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

I've read a few times that he currently has his dream job. I get the impression from a few of his interviews and press conferences that he might be getting a bit peed off with things. Perhaps the people running the club aren't matching up to his ambitions. 

It wouldn't surprise me if he gets a lot of personal abuse when he's out an about from "City fans" and fears for his family again.

Looking at some of the posters on this thread, their comments here and what we know of how they feel about him, I could expect them to be the sort of people to do that.

16 minutes ago, grifty said:

It wouldn't surprise me if he gets a lot of personal abuse when he's out an about from "City fans" and fears for his family again.

Looking at some of the posters on this thread, their comments here and what we know of how they feel about him, I could expect them to be the sort of people to do that.

So you’ve conjured up purely in your imagination some current imaginary ‘abuse’ when he’s ‘out and about’

Then you’ve identified the likely offenders as OTIB posters or at least ‘those sort of people’

Anything else you’ve made up in your mind ?

Maybe a forum is not your sort of place

Think  you are the one with the problems 

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

A spelling error from me..........:disapointed2se:

Its Cherie Lunghi.

In her 60s now but used to be very fit............:wub:

I met her many years ago in London at the celebrity gala showing of a Star Trek movie.  She came up and started talking to me, and was very nice and polite.

9 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Putting aside the likelihood for a second. If someone said now that McCarthy would be in charge here in August with LJ at West Brom, who would take that?

I think I would.

Not in a million years - it would be a complete backwards step for me. 

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The recruitment POLICY I'm very happy about....the EXECUTION of it current raises a lot of question marks!  You must agree with that, if not fully, to some degree?

My understanding of the recruitment policy is to develop young players where possible either from our own academy - Bryan,Reid,  Kelly, Vyner or bring them in from other academies/clubs  like Moore, Smith etc...

Obviouly many of these youngsters are not used to competitive men's football so go out on loan to lower league clubs to gain essential experience. Some, like Vyner do well whilst others don't improve enough to teach the required level. Many young players simply don't make the grade. 

Those that fail to reach the required standard move on with a transfer fee to a club at their ability level, thereby retrieving part, if not all of the original fee.  Some you win, some you lose. 

Few, if any of us are qualified coaches and personally I leave the assessment of any young players ability to those who are qualified to make the call.

Many managers, like Cotterill for example are very unwilling to risk playing an inexperienced youngster when ultimately their job depends on getting as many points as possible. Some of us will remember Vyner making his debut. The opposition knew that and peppered his area of the pitch to try and take advantage and they did just that and it's fair to say that although Zac showed his footballing ability he didn't cope with it well at all and was at fault for one of the goals. That showed that he wasn't quite ready for the tough SBC. Not long after he went out on loan where now he's getting rave reviews. Next season he'll hopefully be pushing for the first team squad.

I get frustrated with some posters criticising the recruitment policy, which to me is yet another stick to beat LJ and the club with. If a poster needs to be negative then at least have an understanding of what they're being critical about.........

35 minutes ago, Robbored said:

My understanding of the recruitment policy is to develop young players where possible either from our own academy - Bryan,Reid,  Kelly, Vyner or bring them in from other academies/clubs  like Moore, Smith etc...

Obviouly many of these youngsters are not used to competitive men's football so go out on loan to lower league clubs to gain essential experience. Some, like Vyner do well whilst others don't improve enough to teach the required level. Many young players simply don't make the grade. 

Those that fail to reach the required standard move on with a transfer fee to a club at their ability level, thereby retrieving part, if not all of the original fee.  Some you win, some you lose. 

Few, if any of us are qualified coaches and personally I leave the assessment of any young players ability to those who are qualified to make the call.

Many managers, like Cotterill for example are very unwilling to risk playing an inexperienced youngster when ultimately their job depends on getting as many points as possible. Some of us will remember Vyner making his debut. The opposition knew that and peppered his area of the pitch to try and take advantage and they did just that and it's fair to say that although Zac showed his footballing ability he didn't cope with it well at all and was at fault for one of the goals. That showed that he wasn't quite ready for the tough SBC. Not long after he went out on loan where now he's getting rave reviews. Next season he'll hopefully be pushing for the first team squad.

I get frustrated with some posters criticising the recruitment policy, which to me is yet another stick to beat LJ and the club with. If a poster needs to be negative then at least have an understanding of what they're being critical about.........

I'm worried that I'm beginning to agree with some of your posts.

Is there some kind of medical treatment for this condition, or am I just getting old?

18 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Fair comment.

I don't dislike LJ at all, in many ways he is a good public figurehead for City.

I don't see him being successful here with his inbuilt inconsistencies, and I do think it would be healthier to have a coach/manager who is not a friend of the board. Sometimes a board needs to be challenged by a manager and they should be able to talk through differences for the benefit of the club without seeing it as any sort of confrontation.

We know any replacement would need to be someone SL ( and looking forward JL) could get on with personally, and would have to agree to the club's stated policies going forward, but surely such candidates are out there without having to be personal friends beforehand?

LJ being poached might be a great solution imo., it would save SL having to ever make the decision to dismiss a family friend, and I wouldn't see LJ going as any sort of setback at all if replaced well.

If a respected, experienced manager like McCarthy, for instance, was announced,  I think we'd be much more likely to make a genuine, consistent challenge next season.

Excellent post. I went to the Rugby Q&A last night and Pat Lam is exactly the kind of character you're talking about there. A strong one who will challenge the owners and board.  They had to convince him to come to Bristol by having a clear vision of what they wanted to achieve.  You can hear the effect he has had on the rest of the club in the terms in which they all speak about how they want to take the Rugby club forward. He was the one defending the decision about the change of name far more than the Chairman or Mark Tainton.  

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Some of us will remember Vyner making his debut. The opposition knew that and peppered his area of the pitch to try and take advantage and they did just that and it's fair to say that although Zac showed his footballing ability he didn't cope with it well at all and was at fault for one of the goals. That showed that he wasn't quite ready for the tough SBC. 

Yeah I remember Zak Vyner’s debut.

MK Dons away, we won 2-0 and he was our best player.

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

Excellent post. I went to the Rugby Q&A last night and Pat Lam is exactly the kind of character you're talking about there. A strong one who will challenge the owners and board.  They had to convince him to come to Bristol by having a clear vision of what they wanted to achieve.  You can hear the effect he has had on the rest of the club in the terms in which they all speak about how they want to take the Rugby club forward. He was the one defending the decision about the change of name far more than the Chairman or Mark Tainton.  

Both LJ and Pat Lam were appointed thru their commitment to SLs (BS) philosophy. 

Both talk the same language.

Archived