IGNORED

Oh dear Devon and Cornwall police....

phantom

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I like to think I’m fairly balanced with my consideration of all things policing, but I think i’m missing the point here. 

Booze is trouble and booze and disappointing football is double trouble. Why wouldn’t they run this campaign?

I don’t often agree with coopers but you’re alright @Fordy62

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I like to think I’m fairly balanced with my consideration of all things policing, but I think i’m missing the point here. 

Booze is trouble and booze and disappointing football is double trouble. Why wouldn’t they run this campaign?

I've read about spikes in arrests etc, but also read that this was tied in relating to football even though many similar alcohol related crimes increase around the summer. 

My point was really how it's always football fans that get a bad reputation, I've lost count of the number of times the FSF have taken umbridge within someone's tweets where it implies it's only football fans that play up. 

I wonder If the Met police do a similar tweet about Henley regatta, or Glos police about Cheltenham races? Well we all know the answer to that! 

2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Cornwall have really had a raw deal. Fully support a Cornish assembly, an astonishing amount of housing is now second homes to Londoners, it's one of the worst paid areas in the country, and opportunities are so limited round there. Not to mention local fishermen have been royally ****** by Rick Stein.

Beautiful area, beautiful history, fascinating local customs.

If Cornwall has one, why not Devon? Then where does it stop?

2 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

Nowhere in England (or even the whole UK) beats it for that. You won't find better beaches around than those on the North Cornish coast. 

Ermmm *cough* *cough* think again, Kernow...

• Admin
1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I still can’t get over that font. Why, @phantom, why?!?! It makes every tweet look like an invitation to a birthday party at a soft play centre. Horrific!

I got paranoid about people reading my phone over my shoulder on a bus / train, this seemed the hardest to read 

1 hour ago, phantom said:
1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I still can’t get over that font. Why, @phantom, why?!?! It makes every tweet look like an invitation to a birthday party at a soft play centre. Horrific!

I got paranoid about people reading my phone over my shoulder on a bus / train, this seemed the hardest to read 

I don't think it's hard to read.

But your plan probably works because people choose not to read things in that font. It makes me want to look away as soon as I see it!

2 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

I've agreed with Tommy and Henry in the past......but my favourite has to be Terry.

9 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yeh, them damned coopers and their barrels.....

38 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

That's because there's hardly any barrel makers nowadays to agree with.

Damn autocorrect 

3 hours ago, NOTBLUE said:

Will be down there in August as per usual,but last year went to west/north Wales, their beaches are a close second,was really surprised.

West Wales has some absolute gems. Harlech for example. Thankfully half the country don’t seem to go there for each May bank holiday 

4 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I’m curious about that too. What’s he done? 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Me too! Any update @ZiderEyed on the ‘evil’ Mr Stein?!

55 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

And I’m a big fan so if you say anything that makes me think less of him I’ll be devastated forever. 

No pressure. 

Ahh come on just one look at him and his beady little eyes should be enough to make you aware theres something fishy about the evil Mr (Lan-Gou) Stein...

He can't wait to get his claws into ya... Arggghh .

He's a monster, like his brother Franken.

(PS:  I like the fella, enjoy his programmes, would love to taste his food, & unless anyone knows differently, I'd say he has done more than most to raise the already impressive public perception of the wonders of Cornwall … just hearing the words Padstow or Cornwall automatically makes me think of Rick Stein, and the same vice-versa.)  

6 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Still, at least after a slight delay - caused entirely by the EU - the Cornish fishing fleet will be allowed to reassemble and fish British waters unfettered again for the first time in 40 years plus.

The majority of the Cornish fleet having been forcibly scrapped over that time due to the EU of course

Regaining control of British waters is a massive plus for Cornwall, and Cornishmen.

The UK has the second biggest "fishing licence" allowance within the EU.

UK ship owners have chosen to sell most of these licences to foreign operators.

The reason for this is that Catholic Mediterranean countries have much bigger per capita markets for the kind of fish caught in UK waters. Most Brits these days only eat cod -predominantly caught in Norwegian, Icelandic or  Greenlandic waters - hence the decline of the non-cold water adapted Cornish fishing fleet.

If we all started eating more mackrell, John Dory, langoustines etc, then Cornwall would again see a fishing boom. 

RE: @BS4 on Tour...

Well aside from the destruction of Cornwall's identity and trying to turn it in to a sort of rural London, Rick Stein doesn't actually buy fish from local fisheries. He buys from a fish merchant and ignores the actual fishermen that have lived in Cornwall their entire lives. 

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jun/16/no-fishermans-friend-rumours-surface-of-bitterness-against-rick-stein-in-cornwall

The bitterness against Stein is so pronounced that a terrorist organisation in the mould of the IRA called the Cornish National Liberation Army (CNLA) attacked one of his restaurants.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/jun/14/terrorism.ukcrime

It is hard to argue that Stein isn't trying to gentrify and eliminate the customs of an area that is fundamentally different to the rest of England.

"The celebrity chef already owns four restaurants and four hotels there and has now bought the Cornish Arms in St Merryn.

Mr Stein said the move was to "help preserve the Great British local" but has prompted residents to dub the area 'Padstein'.

5 hours ago, devoncider said:

If Cornwall has one, why not Devon? Then where does it stop?

Along the Tamar.

Point though is that culturally Cornwall is different to the rest of England. It's heritage is Celtic. It's no different to Wales imo.

1 minute ago, ZiderEyed said:

Along the Tamar.

Point though is that culturally Cornwall is different to the rest of England. It's heritage is Celtic. It's no different to Wales imo.

The idea that some areas of the British Isles are "Celtic" and others aren't is something that is rubbished by most modern historians.

The terms "Celts" to refer to the people with a connection to Brythonic/Gallic languages in the Western part of the British Isles only came into widespread usage in the 18th Century. Actual Celts lived in Upper Austria and there is evidence they may have migrated across mainland Europe to northern Spain. There is scant evidence that they ever invaded Britain. Nonetheless, out of custom we use the term Celtic to describe the pre-Roman tribes of Britain.

What the prevailing theory is now, is that the Celtic culture - in terms if art-work, technology and so forth - passed along West European sea routes and was adopted extensively by tribes living in Britain and Ireland, where it stayed until marginalised by the next dominant culture.

Mitochondrial DNA analysis of ancient remains and modern people seems to confirm this. The Romans, Saxons,  Vikings, Normans etc provided only small overlayers to the mass British population. When you examine the DNA, Irish, English, Scots, Welsh and Cornish are practically identical, the bulk of our ancestors are Brittonic. Ratios vary according to location, but if your ancestry didn't arrive in the UK in modern history then it will be largely Brittonic. 

It's a pet subject of mine, largely because I was surprised when I looked into it, to find most of us were taught utter bollocks about our prehistory.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31905764

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22530134-300-ancient-invaders-transformed-britain-but-not-its-dna/

5 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

RE: @BS4 on Tour...

Well aside from the destruction of Cornwall's identity and trying to turn it in to a sort of rural London, Rick Stein doesn't actually buy fish from local fisheries. He buys from a fish merchant and ignores the actual fishermen that have lived in Cornwall their entire lives. 

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jun/16/no-fishermans-friend-rumours-surface-of-bitterness-against-rick-stein-in-cornwall

The bitterness against Stein is so pronounced that a terrorist organisation in the mould of the IRA called the Cornish National Liberation Army (CNLA) attacked one of his restaurants.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/jun/14/terrorism.ukcrime

It is hard to argue that Stein isn't trying to gentrify and eliminate the customs of an area that is fundamentally different to the rest of England.

"The celebrity chef already owns four restaurants and four hotels there and has now bought the Cornish Arms in St Merryn.

Mr Stein said the move was to "help preserve the Great British local" but has prompted residents to dub the area 'Padstein'.

Interesting article ZE. But you’d think the good done by his ‘presence’ in the area by far outweighs the odd bitter fisherman who has his catch overlooked.

500 odd jobs and millions in tourism revenue can’t be a bad thing for locals overall, whether an individual directly benefits or not. 

I believe he and his wife also do a considerable amount for local groups, charities etc. 

13 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

I did my homework, and voted Remain. Sadly as a populace we aren't known for being well educated...

So you are saying one formula fits all in Cornwall then are you? What if someone did the same as you and decided his interests would be best served leaving the EU? You think he is dumb I supppse. Wow.

13 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Still, at least after a slight delay - caused entirely by the EU - the Cornish fishing fleet will be allowed to reassemble and fish British waters unfettered again for the first time in 40 years plus.

The majority of the Cornish fleet having been forcibly scrapped over that time due to the EU of course

Regaining control of British waters is a massive plus for Cornwall, and Cornishmen.

I hear that by the time we come out the other side we will have waived away much of those clawing back of rights. Hope not and hope we tell the EU to stuff it.

During one of the tournaments a few years ago a man who lived a few doors away went and watched an England game in a country pub one afternoon, nothing too rowdy but a hot day and he got caught up with the drinking. Unfortunately for him he was pulled over and breathalysed when driving home, found to be twice over the limit. Instantly banned and as he was some sort of sales Rep he lost his job too.

He had a really flash car, which he loved. He would clean it all Sunday afternoons and chat to people as they passed, a real social thing for him. After his ban all this was taken away. He never recovered, got depressed couldn’t get another job, couldn’t drive, his marriage broke up as he was impossible to live with. People never saw him out, he wouldn’t answer the door. All this came out in the inquest after he committed suicide, he hung himself and left a note. 

So very, very sad. All for a couple of drinks. It was believed it was truly a one off. He had no history of drinking whist working/driving. It was pure chance the Police stopped him, but I guess they had reason to. He couldn’t live with the shame and his lifestyle changes.

its quite a few years now but I’ve never forgotten him once these tournaments start and I see pub car parks full. Stay safe people, it really isn’t worth taking a gamble, too much at stake.

To be fair, and returning to the original post, there is a serious and fairly unique issue in Cornwall, a county with miles of unlit cliff top paths and campsites. A few years ago, when I was still practising as a lawyer, I spent 2 weeks in Truro Coroners Court doing the 'spring break inquests'. Probably the worst 2 weeks of my life - and I was pretty experienced in death and catastrophic injury. Every year 2/3/4 teenagers go for a good time, get absolutely pissed, get lost while staggering back to their tents and stumble off the cliff edge. The inquests are generally held 2 years later, which is how long it takes for the traumatised parents/friends to be able to give evidence. I agree that the police post may be a bit preachy, but they are used to the association of drinking during specific events and the potential for fairly horrific consequences.   

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

The UK has the second biggest "fishing licence" allowance within the EU.

UK ship owners have chosen to sell most of these licences to foreign operators.

The reason for this is that Catholic Mediterranean countries have much bigger per capita markets for the kind of fish caught in UK waters. Most Brits these days only eat cod -predominantly caught in Norwegian, Icelandic or  Greenlandic waters - hence the decline of the non-cold water adapted Cornish fishing fleet.

If we all started eating more mackrell, John Dory, langoustines etc, then Cornwall would again see a fishing boom. 

If that did happen (which I doubt but you never know) then hopefully Cornwall will have enough UK workers willing to work in the processing of the fish - a genuine concern already of the fishing industry there at its current levels where apparently 70% of the Labour are EU migrants because British people just don’t want to do the work.  Same goes for the agricultural industry there as well. 

Archived