IGNORED

Goodbye and Good luck - Aden Flint gone, official (Merged)

Davefevs

Be gutted to see him leave but not surprised, he really was a colossus for us in the last few seasons, i think we will miss him on and off the pitch.

My one worry now is if Aden moves to Boro surely that's to far away from his best mate Marlon?

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I have a q too.

Middlesborough just signed McNair for £7m also as well as this Flint deal- presumably FFP isn't a concern for them this season? Even though parachute payments being Year 2 definitely see a drop.

In FFP terms Mags may well go down as a profit...there seem to be a lot of different fees ventured for him though so it's hard to say.

Ben Gibson is pretty much a done deal to either southampton or Everton. Both have bid £20m. 

McNair is £5m plus add ons.  Happy with flint if he signs, offers a lot more than Gibson from set peices. Him and Ayala should have a field day at set peices. 

24 minutes ago, lenred said:

I cant believe that he wouldn’t have any say. If he’s Manager surely he would have the majority of the say? Agree that we need to hold tight to see who will come in but with Joey and Bob also looking like they are going then it’s going to be a tricky task for the management team that’s for sure. 

Massive difference between manager and head coach, which is what he is.

Just now, Boro5707 said:

Ben Gibson is pretty much a done deal to either southampton or Everton. Both have bid £20m. 

McNair is £5m plus add ons.  Happy with flint if he signs, offers a lot more than Gibson from set peices. Him and Ayala should have a field day at set peices. 

Ah yeah- Gibson, yeah that will solve those issues for you.

Flint- our loss is very much your gain- given he had 3 years left though, unsure why we sold him and for the price we did and to a probable big hitter at this level for next year...

1 hour ago, Bedred31 said:

So fee rises to £7m from 5 if Boro. get promoted. Instead of us. So, get this, we've negotiated a financial incentive for a rival to beat us. Utterly bizzare and, if true, beyond negligent.

Well, no.

That add on doesn't disappear if both sides go up.

It's an extremely standard clause to put in when a player joins one of the bigger sides in the division.

What is bizarre is why you felt the need to manipulate a standard clause into a stick to beat the club with.

Few things:

- For those who think we’ve undersold, clearly the market (or a clause) has dictated the fee here. If the other mooted clubs (particularly Burnley) were in, then they’d have offered comparable or more. Reality is, at Flints age, the fee is a decent one for someone with 3 seasons of champ experience

- I agree that we’ll miss AF as a figurehead, and for his goals. However, I don’t immediately hold we’ll miss him in defence. I’ve said numerous times he plays very well but is so focussed on his own game that I don’t think it always has a positive impact on the team. End of the day, we haven’t been great defensively for 3 years and AF has been part of that defence. Maybe, without saying he’s played badly, because of the whole he’s an inadvertent cause? 

- If you’re Flint, even if you loved Lee Johnson, if you can get a significant wage increase in what is likely to be your last contract, why wouldn’t you? No issue with him personally for taking the move on a purely financial basis.

So, for me, on balance it makes sense for the player, the fee is about right and I’m not convinced it’s a catastrophic loss bearing in mind our defensive record. How we spend the cash is another question, but as a deal in isolation, it ticks many more boxes than it doesn’t 

3 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Massive difference between manager and head coach, which is what he is.

So you think he had no say then? Sorry I can’t believe that’s true but respect your thoughts.  Pretty sure it’s been documented here that he has the final say on transfers but happy to stand corrected on that. 

Players come and go, we will look back and understand that we saw the best years of Flint's career. Boro fans wanted to buy Boom Boom after those cup games, they were lucky they didn't get their wish. They may think they have pulled out a signing here, but I think they might be disappointed.

I for one will be greatly saddened to see the giant go, he has been a massive credit to the club.. always thought he could clinch a place in the Top 10 Most Appearances for City but guess that will never be.

He does deserve PL football and with Boro good favourites for promotion next season, he can help them achieve that, he's been a good boy and for one will clap on his return to the Gate and when I travel to the Riverside (from Southampton mind you!).

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Just a thought...

How long was left on Flints OLD contract before he signed his new deal?

Is it possible that he signed that contract on the understanding that the club would listen to sensible offers without a formal release agreement?

He signed a new deal until 2019 in June 2015.

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

How we spend the cash is another question... 

Yes. It is. And it’s a pretty important question. 

You could reasonably argue that 4 of our 5 best players last season were players that LJ inherited. 

In order or likelihood of them leaving I’d have said it was:

Pack, Flint, Bobby, Joe. 

Now we’re left with:

Pack, Bobby & Joe. 

Bobby and Joe are guaranteed to leave in my opinion. 

And I have absolutely no confidence in the current set up to adequately replace them. 

Very, very worrying times. 

This tells me a few things:

We have no real, tangible ambition for Bristol City Football Club.

If we did we’d have invested properly in January and shown that intent.

Lansdown is not only selling down in HL. He’s happy to take a dividend now on his investment in our football club.

We’re ******. Bristol Sport might make Bristol Proud but that won’t be through its football club.

But hey. You reap what you sow. If we don’t get better replacements for Flint (& Reid and Bryan when they inevitably follow) then that’ll be it for me and our season tickets.

Sad thing is we won’t be missed.

1 minute ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

This tells me a few things:

We have no real, tangible ambition for Bristol City Football Club.

If we did we’d have invested properly in January and shown that intent.

Lansdown is not only selling down in HL. He’s happy to take a dividend now on his investment in our football club.

We’re ******. Bristol Sport might make Bristol Proud but that won’t be through its football club.

But hey. You reap what you sow. If we don’t get better replacements for Flint (& Reid and Bryan when they inevitably follow) then that’ll be it for me and our season tickets.

Sad thing is we won’t be missed.

I don't think he is taking any money out of the football club.

2 minutes ago, Vil1 said:

Let him go I say.no pace.but a good reader.we can get better I believe.youth are what we want someone Hungary to prove themselves.pack will probably follow as everyone I see him he's hanging out of him.

Aside from all of the glaring errors in your post, what in God’s name have you seen to make you believe we can get better than Aden Flint?

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

So, for me, on balance it makes sense for the player, the fee is about right and I’m not convinced it’s a catastrophic loss bearing in mind our defensive record. How we spend the cash is another question, but as a deal in isolation, it ticks many more boxes than it doesn’t 

The issue is that the man who is behind this sale has now taken a public position on the league board, which substantially reduces his liability to this team in case his transfers backfire. 

3 minutes ago, Vil1 said:

Let him go I say.no pace.but a good reader.we can get better I believe.youth are what we want someone Hungary to prove themselves.pack will probably follow as everyone I see him he's hanging out of him.

:rofl2br:

Post of the thread.

Fastest player in the squad apparently. Don't think we'll sign a whole nation though.

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Yes. It is. And it’s a pretty important question. 

You could reasonably argue that 4 of our 5 best players last season were players that LJ inherited. 

In order or likelihood of them leaving I’d have said it was:

Pack, Flint, Bobby, Joe. 

Now we’re left with:

Pack, Bobby & Joe. 

Bobby and Joe are guaranteed to leave in my opinion. 

And I have absolutely no confidence in the current set up to adequately replace them. 

Very, very worrying times. 

I think, of the four, my order of concern in leaving from least to most were Bryan (only because we insist on playing him LB!), Flint (for the reasons stated), Pack, Reid. 

I think it looks likely we’ll lose all bar Pack. However, the only one that really really concerns me is Reid. 

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Thing is we’ve heard it all before. 

Well never replace Kodjia

Tammy

We’ll never replace Tammy

Bobby

We’ll never replace Bobby

Diony (just kidding ;) )

The hyperbole on here is unbearable at times. 

Simply put....

We are a relatively small fish. When players outgrow the fish bowl, inevitably more financially powerful and reputable clubs will come in to lure them into bigger waters. 

That’s just life with football and EVERY club is a selling club bar the handful of absolutely elite clubs. FFS even the champions of England couldn’t retain their best player in recent years. 

In the current climate, i think you define what fish you are.

Bournemouth, Brighton, Stoke, Reading, Watford, Huddersfield, Fulham, Swansea...

These aren’t big fish. But they dare to believe they are. 

In my lifetime we have dared to believe that if things fall right we might just get out of division 3 for a couple of years.

Please don’t cite our ‘off the field ambitions’, they hold little relevance 

1 hour ago, hodge said:

I think if it had been £7m even without add ons it would have been just about right, relying on boro to be promoted for another £2m is a risk. 

From what I can see there’s no confirmation that the 7mil has this or that add on just typical guess work , tbh no deal would have 40% add on for promotion  , sky say 7 million so why do we have to see it otherwise just to suit the agenda 

Archived