IGNORED

Goodbye and Good luck - Aden Flint gone, official (Merged)

Davefevs

23 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Sadly Bailey Wright began to make the Magnússon type mistakes so it was probably empathy and by then Baker IMO had adopted an almost couldn't give a shit attitude, that even managed to piss LJ off.

Wright unselfishly played through injury, ultimately needing an op and probably cost him his World Cup place.  Was solid as a rock at RB (not great on the Ball admittedly) until Leeds away.

Now reported as £7m....about right imho.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I've been beaten to my point but...
The one thing you haven't taken into account is Flint himself. Rumours of his head being turned with Brum, a struggling Championship side, throw M'boro into the mix and it goes up a scale. It's probably his last chance of a pay day, double your money+signing on fee type payday that we can't compete with. 
Absolutely agree with your point, but there are other things at would I would guess.

Although said as a joke the old , how do you make a small fortune owning a football club, start with a large fortune , is a truism . As @chinapig has mentioned a couple, there is one other way, but I'm not sure we should follow Oyston at Blackpool as a role model either. 
The well reported £100m a year just for being there, soon gets swallowed up if you actually want to stay there. Found some figures (2 years old now) Bournemouth got £75m from TV and their wage bill was £60m + Then you want signings etc.  Lansdown has got the ground in place to try and up our turnover, Bournemouth are totally reliant on the owners. I think he's tried to do it the right way, although maybe he needs someone outside of the club to set up the recruitment side of it.

Sorry fella but that is simply nonsense.

A PL team that finishes fourth bottom gets £140m minimum from the U.K. TV deal add in the worldwide TV money and to break even they don't even need to charge people to get into the ground!

The big boys have all the other revenue streams too.

Bournemouth are a bad example however as they their match day money - which is not insignificant- is based on a capacity of 11k.

It doesn't matter which way you spin this, we , and clubs like us, have a very short window left to get promoted. There will be a time soon when the Championship will be populated by clubs, the majority of whom will have had the benefit of the TV money and the parachute payments, making an already difficult task of promotion, near impossible.

The secret is to get there, accept you may well get relegated, but spend the money WISELY, to allow the opportunity to build and grow. 

Villa are a great example of a club, who never thought they could be relegated and carried on regardless when they were - we don't have that sense of entitlement, that is a big difference.

IF, and in my opinion, it is a big IF, the owner really wants to get there, he needs to make some moves

7 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

A PL team that finishes fourth bottom gets £140m minimum from the U.K. TV deal add in the worldwide TV money and to break even they don't even need to charge people to get into the ground!

Bournemouth are a bad example however as they their match day money - which is not insignificant- is based on a capacity of 11k.

It doesn't matter which way you spin this, we , and clubs like us, have a very short window left to get promoted. There will be a time soon when the Championship will be populated by clubs, the majority of whom will have had the benefit of the TV money and the parachute payments, making an already difficult task of promotion, near impossible.

The secret is to get there, accept you may well get relegated, but spend the money WISELY, to allow the opportunity to build and grow. 

Villa are a great example of a club, who never thought they could be relegated and carried on regardless when they were - we don't have that sense of entitlement, that is a big difference.

IF, and in my opinion, it is a big IF, the owner really wants to get there, he needs to make some moves

95% in agreement here SR.....just wonder if the Villa debacle might see a “correction” and clubs coming down find they are now in a bigger pool of clubs, potentially 9, still on parachute and not taking promotion straight away for granted.

It may just be hope though.

We won't be able to buy an equivalent for 5m quid. As Ole said his value to the team over the 4 years left on his contract is worth way more than that. 

LJ and Ashton have been utterly hopeless in the transfer market in the last year I really don't know where to start with all this, feels like a complete waste of time putting money into this club now. 

Chucking a robin on an away kit won't paper over this, unless we buy done proper quality players this summer were going to be in for one hell of a shite season. 

Selling our best defender to ******* Middlesbrough.... what is wrong with this club, ******* hell. You've just taken ten goals out of our team and given them to someone else, clueless absolutely ******* clueless. 

27 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair play, but I’d argue Cotts brought in Baker....even though that was only a loan, he introduced Baker to our club and made him want to come back...

Cotts brought him in but LJ was manager from Jan/Feb onwards, if Baker didn't like Johnson I doubt he'd have come back

2 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Just like when we sold Kodjia?

We had Tammy already and Kodjia was playing on the wing to accommodate both in the side

25 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

After our owner announced he wouldn’t sell Kodjia to another championship club....

Given 99% of our fan base were thrilled with how much we got for him I think SL can be excused with that statement

Just now, WolfOfWestStreet said:

And what was it spent on? 

Irrelevant, the comment was about SL's statement of not selling to another championship club, who we spent money on has nothing to do with how much we received. 

1 minute ago, hodge said:

Irrelevant, the comment was about SL's statement of not selling to another championship club, who we spent money on has nothing to do with how much we received. 

I understand the point you were making and i agree, whether its relevant or not what has the kodja money been spent on?

Can someone help?

2 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I understand the point you were making and i agree, whether its relevant or not what has the kodja money been spent on?

Can someone help?

To be fair that summer was Tomlin (who most people agreed was a good signing and made the money back), Hörður (slight loss, but played a decent part in his 2 years), O'Dowda, Moore, Engvall (okay yes....), Paterson as fees and Brownhill's compensation. I'd argue 3 positives in O'Dowda, Paterson and Brownhill, Moore needs more time for a return on him, Tomlin equal given we got his fee back and I'd say Hörður's performances make up the loss we made on him, did well to get the fee we did with 12 months on his contract. I expect some was then left over for that January, Djuric (hit and miss, good player but too injury prone so far), Taylor (same as Djuric) and Hegeler (disappointing and injury). Not incredible but not terrible. Think we'll make good money on O'Dowda and Brownhill, Pato maybe if he can recapture his pre-christmas form could easily be a big profit on his (rumoured) £350,000 fee. I think Moore could end up being a first teamer too. 

Johnson admitted that summer we looked too much at the future so the potential benefits won't be seen for a while if they come. I think we'll see more windows like last summer 5 players or so with a marquee signing.

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Whilst there are many things to be grateful to Flint for, on the pitch leadership is not one of them. He did indeed tend to do a lot of shouting and balling and stamping of feet, but that was him letting out frustration as opposed to him ‘leading’ his troops. 

We’ll miss his goals, we’ll miss his aerial ability, and I’m sure he was a character in the dressing room, but he was never a ‘leader’ on the pitch. 

Never a truer word on this forum. He was exactly the sort of player the likes of Magnússon and Kelly didn't need alongside them. Doing nothing to support them, and then bawling out every mistake they made did absolutely nothing for their confidence - and in some cases merely sought to cover up his own shortcomings. 

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Whilst there are many things to be grateful to Flint for, on the pitch leadership is not one of them. He did indeed tend to do a lot of shouting and balling and stamping of feet, but that was him letting out frustration as opposed to him ‘leading’ his troops. 

We’ll miss his goals, we’ll miss his aerial ability, and I’m sure he was a character in the dressing room, but he was never a ‘leader’ on the pitch. 

well not provoking an argument who is in this team i would struggle to pick any other and he eas asked to captain the side but knew he was off something happened in that last three minths in that dressing room

48 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

well not provoking an argument who is in this team i would struggle to pick any other and he eas asked to captain the side but knew he was off something happened in that last three minths in that dressing room

He's never wanted captaincy, turned it down mid match plenty of times 

2 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Why don't we all wait to see who comes in and how we start the season before getting hysterical?

That's far too sensible, everyone should already have their torches and pitchforks 

19 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Flint was meant to have gone last summer, and his replacement was signed in Baker. Wright was the other player intended to make the pairing. So assume that, together with Vyner as one of the back up players. Kelly is going to play more at left back, and we assume Pisano will come back fit, this time on the right. And other defensive signings to back those 4 up. 

Reid, Bryan, Pack likely to leave too. Watkins is replacement for one  of them, though no idea which one. 

Don’t think he is directly, plays a different position to all of them. I think we might see a change of formation though that requires us to have an additional wide player in the squad.

No hard feelings from me that he’s going. Clearly it’s been a long time coming and he’s been somewhat a short term legend for us. All good things must come to an end. 

I’m more bothered about losing a big personality within the team and a proven leader amongst the squad.

7 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

I don’t necessarily disagree it could get harder but throwing money at it doesn’t garauntee success look at Villa last year.  couple of things though.

just checked and none of the relegated sides got £100m prize money  and even Utd as top earners ONLY got £149m. Of course you add sponsors etc.

at any time there will be at most 9 teams with parachute payments .

we are not a big club and have to strike a balance. It’s not straight forward. 

I will try and look into Huddersfield, because from the outside they look like the ones we should be copying.

9 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well one thing is for sure IMO, if this transfer goes through and Bryan and Reid follow, signings like (and with all due respect) Watkins will not cut it for me, January was an abject disaster and now we need a few 'quality' signings for a change.

There is a lot of time to make signings of course but I remain totally unconvinced by our recent signings and especially the January debacle.

I agree with the above and we may have to add Pack to that list. When I heard about the Flint medical, I honestly thought that it just shows the level of our ambitions. Selling to a 'rival' a rival that we have actually taken more points off than they have us since they came down. It beggars belief. If we sell all of the above to add to Flint and Maggs then that will probably generate 20 million in total. How much of that will be spent and will we get any where near the quality? The answer if January is any indication of ambitions or who we are able to attract, it has to be no.

Perhaps, we as city fans should just accept that we can't or won't compete where we want to and just rely on developing the young end of the market and continually sell on when we fall short.

Like others have said Flint does enjoy the high life, and a transfer to Boro will probably set him up for life with an increase in wages.

I hope I’m wrong but I do worry about next season, whilst others are right we’ve lost players in the past and in many cases as a team we’ve improved, it looks to me like we’re lossing the players Johnson turns to when the chips are down. 

Johnson’s success in the transfer market has to be fair been hit and more miss. The club needs to find a ready made replacement for Flint and not one for the future.  Whilst Vyner and Kelly look good prospects it puts a lot of pressure on them 

Interesting summer ahead, as I’m sure Flint is the first of a few to leave.

Archived