IGNORED

Tour de France 2018

Had another epic day at todays stage 4 finishing about 30 minutes from where I live.

Managed to get 3.5k from the finish in Sarzeau.

A couple of photos one with Peter Sagan in the green jersey and one with Andre Griepel in red.

Early start tomorrow with the next stage starting in Lorient about 45 minutes away hoping to get to the start for a change.

IMG_7601.jpg

IMG_7604.jpg

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

How did Cav look mate? He`s looked out of sorts to me and I personally think this is a tour too far for him. The heart and mind are still there but the legs can`t deliver any more.

I can see him retiring in the mountains and this being his last one.

He was put in a great position by his team for the sprint, but circumstances beyond his control led to him to make 2 decisions that exacerbated those circumstances, basically a bad day at the office but pretty much beyond his control, he looked strong today.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

He was put in a great position by his team for the sprint, but circumstances beyond his control led to him to make 2 decisions that exacerbated the circumstances, basically a bad day at the office but pretty much beyond his control, he looked strong today.

That`s good to hear - I thought he got blocked off a bit today but probably not enough to justify a complaint.

I`ve thought in his interviews he`s been doing his best to sound his normal bouncy self but he knows deep down it`s going to be coming to an end soon. I just don`t want to see him abandoning in tears after all the good times he`s given us down the years.

Hopefully he`ll get a stage win soon and all will be good again.

13 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

He was put in a great position by his team for the sprint, but circumstances beyond his control led to him to make 2 decisions that exacerbated those circumstances, basically a bad day at the office but pretty much beyond his control, he looked strong today.

Good to hear Es, great pictures as well. Would love to see Cav break the record but after his bad luck for the last couple of years I don't think we'll see it now. Another chance for him today anyway.

3 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

My mistake. I somehow got a bit behind myself and thought that yesterday's stage was today. It really would be something if Cav won today!

I called it at about 1pm today when the peleton paased me and my mate at Guidel Plages, it was always a Sagan stage today and maybe even tomorrow with the wall of Brittany finish. Tailor made for him.

Photos of todays stage later once I have a chance to process what I have taken.

I must say that I don't really follow cycling closely, even the Tour de France, although I do monitor regularly both English and French media reports of the TdeF and, of course, have watched the final stages these last few years when there has been a strong British interest and it has looked like Chris Froome might win - I never much cared for Bradley Wiggins, based more on (my perception of) his personality rather than his obvious cycling ability.

I live in the Yvelines département just west of Paris, and the final stage of this year's Tour passes within a few hundred metres of my house, and what I have really noticed for the first time this year is how much the towns and villages through which the tour is passing seem to have spent on the general 'tarting up' of their municipal buildings in preparation for the inevitable worldwide television coverage of the TdeF.

I have no idea whether this is mere coincidence or, as I suspect, a common and longstanding trait - perhaps @Esmond Million's Bung might be able to advise - but, in my immediate vicinity and in the past few months alone, I have noticed several kilometres of road freshly relaid, Town Halls/Mairies power-hosed clean and numerous burgeoning flower pots, blooming and watered daily.

Long may the sprucing up of my neighbouring villages continue, but I just wonder whether us local 'Contribuables' are helping to finance the Tour de France.     

22 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I must say that I don't really follow cycling closely, even the Tour de France, although I do monitor regularly both English and French media reports of the TdeF and, of course, have watched the final stages these last few years when there has been a strong British interest and it has looked like Chris Froome might win - I never much cared for Bradley Wiggins, based more on (my perception of) his personality rather than his obvious cycling ability.

I live in the Yvelines département just west of Paris, and the final stage of this year's Tour passes within a few hundred metres of my house, and what I have really noticed for the first time this year is how much the towns and villages through which the tour is passing seem to have spent on the general 'tarting up' of their municipal buildings in preparation for the inevitable worldwide television coverage of the TdeF.

I have no idea whether this is mere coincidence or, as I suspect, a common and longstanding trait - perhaps @Esmond Million's Bung might be able to advise - but, in my immediate vicinity and in the past few months alone, I have noticed several kilometres of road freshly relaid, Town Halls/Mairies power-hosed clean and numerous burgeoning flower pots, blooming and watered daily.

Long may the sprucing up of my neighbouring villages continue, but I just wonder whether us local 'Contribuables' are helping to finance the Tour de France.     

It is a great way to share money the tour generates and almost certainly a lesson for UK government/councils who would waste any money made, viva le tour.

Yesterday I spent my 3rd day at the tour at St Aignan (Brittany), I have a couple of photos to share one of Sagan in green and the other showing how incredibly narrow the approach to this 90° turn actually was, we were about 20k from the finish and the peloton were bombing along reeling in the breakaway about 30 seconds ahead, I am amazed that they made the turn without incident.

IMG_7730.jpg

IMG_7736.jpg

On 12/07/2018 at 12:50, PHILINFRANCE said:

Luckily the tour was a regular visitor to the a Carcassonne area when I lived there, I say luckily because it was about the only time our roads got resurfaced, they were scattered with “nids de poule” most of the time. Having to cope with such a massive temperature range didn’t help. Having a swimming pool in your garden and snow chains in the car we’re both very normal in the area

I see this year Carcassonne hosts a finish stage, a rest day and a start, so a good time to go on a cycling/ driving tour of the Aude or Languedoc 

13 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Jesus this is brutal today on the cobbles, crashes, blood, snot and tears and Richie Port out of the tour,

Yup, am watching. A few ouch moments happening for sure. 

59 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well thanks for that enlightening piece of prose.

You're welcome Es.

I've just witnessed France win the wc in Toulouse... So I am a bit sour :)

and I'm tired and all I can hear Is a allez bleus and bastard  car horns 

12 hours ago, TRL said:

You're welcome Es.

I've just witnessed France win the wc in Toulouse... So I am a bit sour :)

and I'm tired and all I can hear Is a allez bleus and bastard  car horns 

Try living here for 16 years, then I will say I feel your pain.

The only saving grace for me was losing to Croatia, it saved me the inevitable pain of losing to France in the final.

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

A fine finish, and Well Played Sky, especially GT - I imagine the whole SKY team will be happy at this afternoon's outcome.

A shame for Adam Yates, who tailed off in the closing stages, and, of course, an awful outcome for R Bardet :laughcont:.

Just listening to Bardet and he looks absolutely distraught. Ain’t Karma a bitch :laughcont: 

Archived