IGNORED

Joao carvalho

MC RISK77

Also signed a striker called Hillal Soudani, an Algerian international, 30, who has been absolutely prolific in Croatian football for Dinamo Zagreb.

One of those signings that will either be spectacular or will flop badly, I’ll be very interested to see what he is all about.

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

But you can’t just say that Man U game because it wasn’t their full starting eleven that had been playing as much as we all loved it,take your City blinkers off

Ibra, Rashford, Martial, Lukaku, Pogba. Even if a couple of the defence were not regular first teasers, thats a hell of a front line we kept quite apart from a deflected free kick. You can play that game down as much as you want, you'll be in the very small minority!

2 hours ago, Scrumpylegs said:

I've had a quick look at Carvahlo's history and am convinced that Forest got seriously mugged off with this one. The guy has been sold on the basis that he's probably the next Neves (and for the same money) but he's got nowhere near the pedigree that Neves had. Neves was a full international and had been playing for Porto's first team for the previous two seasons!! This guy has played a total of 9 games for the Benfica first team!! We'll see how he does but on paper Forest have overpaid to the tune of about £10 million. For the same money they could have bought proven Championship quality - big gamble - let's hope it doesn't work out for them.

Hi mate,

Forest fan here.  I too was sceptical to begin with, I don’t think anybody here expects him to be Neves, not only because he’s a different player but as you said; he doesn’t have that kind of pedigree. We have been linked with Nikola Vukcevic, now he would be a more of a Neves signing.

Like I mentioned, I was sceptical but after seeing him in the flesh a few times I’m absolutely not anymore. He’s a step ahead of everybody else on our team. 

All 3 of the Portuguese lads are about the same level, (we have deals for all of them in place at £13.5m each so the spend is over £50m if you count future deals) and will probably all play tomorrow behind the striker and are a huge ability jump compared to our other players in those positions. 

The whole “can they do it in the Championship” will come up, especially when a typical journeyman is booting them all game. But technically, and there graft/hard work  I have absolutely no doubts all will be a success.

Gil Dias is the one to watch for instant impact though. He’s tall, strong, lightning quick and never stops working.

Enjoy the game tomorrow.

Forest have spent shedloads, but my concern is our back 4.  I've not seen enough of Hunt and Webster to have confidence in them yet and I'm not convinced that Baker is going to look quite so good without Flint alongside him. Even so, I'm looking forward to the game in the hope that we can emulate our start to last season.

1 hour ago, grifty said:

Ibra, Rashford, Martial, Lukaku, Pogba. Even if a couple of the defence were not regular first teasers, thats a hell of a front line we kept quite apart from a deflected free kick. You can play that game down as much as you want, you'll be in the very small minority!

Think you missed my point old son,you can’t just chuck top players together and expect them to perform 

Forest have 1 win at Ashton Gate in their last 10 visits and Karanka has never beaten Bristol City (1 draw, 2 losses).

10 of the last 16 games between City and Forest have had under 2.5 goals, and City have scored twice in 4 of the last 5 games against Forest (at AG I think, might be overall).

Stage is set for a 3 or 4 nil away win.

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not sure I’d agree with that, they won 5 of their first 7 games and won 13 and drew 1 of their first 17 games, up to the end of November...

I do remember listening to an early season football phone in after they’d lost their opening two games. They were discussing whether Newcastle were going to struggle that season.

I remember thinking how ridiculously premature it was.. They turned it round soon enough but I think those couple of early results is probably what the poster was referring to.

7 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Forest have spent shedloads, but my concern is our back 4.  I've not seen enough of Hunt and Webster to have confidence in them yet and I'm not convinced that Baker is going to look quite so good without Flint alongside him. Even so, I'm looking forward to the game in the hope that we can emulate our start to last season.

I never thought Flint and Baker was that great a combo actually, even though they obviously played well together at times. On paper, Webster-Baker should work well, though of course the game is played on grass...

9 hours ago, man in the middle said:

Think it may be a good time to play them as they may not click early on, on paper they have a very good team,

We may not "click" till Christmas; Forest have spent money and are clearly going for it this season, Grabban/Dawson etc they look like top 6 finishers as a result.

We have brought in a couple of unproven in this div, lower div strikers, neither of which is likely to start anytime soon; big changes in our defence including goalkeeper and losing one of the best defenders in this div.........and now is a good time for us......ok yes maybe, but not likely in reality.

8 hours ago, Forest187 said:

Hi mate,

Forest fan here.  I too was sceptical to begin with, I don’t think anybody here expects him to be Neves, not only because he’s a different player but as you said; he doesn’t have that kind of pedigree. We have been linked with Nikola Vukcevic, now he would be a more of a Neves signing.

Like I mentioned, I was sceptical but after seeing him in the flesh a few times I’m absolutely not anymore. He’s a step ahead of everybody else on our team. 

All 3 of the Portuguese lads are about the same level, (we have deals for all of them in place at £13.5m each so the spend is over £50m if you count future deals) and will probably all play tomorrow behind the striker and are a huge ability jump compared to our other players in those positions. 

The whole “can they do it in the Championship” will come up, especially when a typical journeyman is booting them all game. But technically, and there graft/hard work  I have absolutely no doubts all will be a success.

Gil Dias is the one to watch for instant impact though. He’s tall, strong, lightning quick and never stops working.

Enjoy the game tomorrow.

Avoid m5 it will be chocka around Thornbury and M4 junction; sensible trees will already be here.

9 hours ago, Forest187 said:

Hi mate,

Enjoy the game tomorrow.

Must be a bit of a worry if you don’t go up this season with that potential cost hanging around the neck of your club and FFP 

Look at Villa, Brum and Norwich to an extent. Also Forest being bigged up by the press means other clubs will be looking to turn over a big spender!

Should be a good game as both play football the right way 

Last season I thought that was the best Forest side I've seen for a while so it will be interesting to see this Portuguese version.

And before the match is played I am concerned as to where all this money Forest are spending has come from and how on earth are they going to comply with FFP.

1 hour ago, Bri Stool City said:

We may not "click" till Christmas; Forest have spent money and are clearly going for it this season, Grabban/Dawson etc they look like top 6 finishers as a result.

We have brought in a couple of unproven in this div, lower div strikers, neither of which is likely to start anytime soon; big changes in our defence including goalkeeper and losing one of the best defenders in this div.........and now is a good time for us......ok yes maybe, but not likely in reality.

Reminds me why I’m glad we are doing things differently. COYR  

11 hours ago, Forest187 said:

Hi mate,

Enjoy the game tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply. 

Glad to see that these lads look the business (from your point of view anyway) but still believe that Forest have missed a trick with their spending this season. £50 million (if that what it is) would almost certainly fund the purchase of a 'core' of 100% proven  Championship promotion winners. They've gone instead for a few 'risky', potential ' Worldies'. Don't see the logic personally - both strategies could work but plan A carries much less risk!

12 minutes ago, Scrumpylegs said:

Thanks for the reply. 

Glad to see that these lads look the business (from your point of view anyway) but still believe that Forest have missed a trick with their spending this season. £50 million (if that what it is) would almost certainly fund the purchase of a 'core' of 100% proven  Championship promotion winners. They've gone instead for a few 'risky', potential ' Worldies'. Don't see the logic personally - both strategies could work but plan A carries much less risk!

The ability is there and the wages aren’t. FFP shouldn’t be an issue for a good few years yet, on the “accounts” our spend this year is about £12m overall and our wage bill is down. We have a very savvy group of owners and they seem to know what they are doing (much more than the last clown).

The Villa approach, proven players on huge wages seems like the less risky one but it’s also much more expensive, if this goes tits up for us we still have big resale value in any of the Portuguese lads and have a fallback. As we have all seen this summer, a Villa approach doesn’t.

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

How are the florists going to comply with FFP with that sort of spend if they do not go up (not sure if their can still be repercussions later even if they do)

They are one of a group of clubs who clearly don't give a monkeys about FFP, knowing full well that any penalty for breaching it will be puny.

Perhaps the day will come when we can dispense with FFP and just decide league positions on the basis of how much each club has spent. Then we needn't bother with the tedious business of actually playing games.

14 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Has Fatty Tomlin signed for Forest?

14 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

No. Last I saw he was playing with Cardiff U23s against Hereford ?

If that's Cardiff under 23 stone, he won't be in that side for much longer either.

Have a few Forest fans in my family and they are all very confident about the game today and season ahead, saying all signings look quality and how well Forest have played in pre season. Also heard a few on talk sport and they all seem to be beating the same drum.

Would love to put a little dent in their confidence, c'mon City

On 04/08/2018 at 09:55, Forest187 said:

The ability is there and the wages aren’t. FFP shouldn’t be an issue for a good few years yet, on the “accounts” our spend this year is about £12m overall and our wage bill is down. We have a very savvy group of owners and they seem to know what they are doing (much more than the last clown).

The Villa approach, proven players on huge wages seems like the less risky one but it’s also much more expensive, if this goes tits up for us we still have big resale value in any of the Portuguese lads and have a fallback. As we have all seen this summer, a Villa approach doesn’t.

I'm not entirely sure how accurate some of this is. No doubt your owner who also owns Olympiakos- well that's bound to help.

FFP wise, fairly sure it's more nuanced...unsure how well they apply it in Greece tbh so maybe he's working to what he assumes the rules are. Doubtless he's a bright, shrewd man but anyway:

1) Your write off of debt doesn't count towards FFP. New owner or not. Don't see how it can or it makes a total mockery.

2) Factor this out and Forest between 15/16-17/18 at best- despite big sales- were pretty close to the limit. Your losses could skyrocket this season.

3) Oh undoubtedly those players have a re-sale value. Amortisation helps too.

4) The Portuguese players won't have a big wage probably. Doubt Soudiani (sp) will either. Pantilimon, Grabban and potentially Colback? Could well be a different story.

On 04/08/2018 at 09:56, chinapig said:

They are one of a group of clubs who clearly don't give a monkeys about FFP, knowing full well that any penalty for breaching it will be puny.

Perhaps the day will come when we can dispense with FFP and just decide league positions on the basis of how much each club has spent. Then we needn't bother with the tedious business of actually playing games.

Not so sure tbh. Think the EFL are gearing up to clobber Birmingham a bit. Bolton's embargo restricted them majorly last season- amazed they stayed up.

@Scrumpylegs Unsure. Under that rationale Derby would have gone up in last 3-4 seasons, Villa last year and maybe Boro too.

@Sweden @INCRED @sh1t_ref_again

Basically punishments can be applied in season now. Forest could yet get a rather unpleasant surprise because I estimate (that's even before I factor in a likely wage bill rise) a loss of 25 to 30 million this year...if they make some good sales, that'll drop of course.

On the flip side- academy, community expenditure and all that- you knock that off the losses.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not so sure tbh. Think the EFL are gearing up to clobber Birmingham a bit. Bolton's embargo restricted them majorly last season- amazed they stayed up.

Your understanding of FFP is greater than mine and I appreciate that sanctions exist but I don't have much faith that they will be applied rigorously and without favour. I hope I will be proved wrong.

Birmingham's embargo has already been eased somewhat without any discernible change in their circumstances for example.

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Your understanding of FFP is greater than mine and I appreciate that sanctions exist but I don't have much faith that they will be applied rigorously and without favour. I hope I will be proved wrong.

Birmingham's embargo has already been eased somewhat without any discernible change in their circumstances for example.

Eased yes. Still fairly stringent though not stringent enough. Maybe they have presented the EFL with a viable business plan to start to rectify things...

Based on the 'extremely disappointed' statement by the EFL regarding Pedersen and his signing however...if they don't they don't make big moves they will face further punishment so to me they're on notice.

There's one other potential scenario too. Clubs may take legal action in order to try to make the League enforce their punishments correctly- maybe those who comply if they lose promotion or relegation to those who flagrantly breach.

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Eased yes. Still fairly stringent though not stringent enough. Maybe they have presented the EFL with a viable business plan to start to rectify things...

Based on the 'extremely disappointed' statement by the EFL regarding Pedersen and his signing however...if they don't they don't make big moves they will face further punishment so to me they're on notice.

There's one other potential scenario too. Clubs may take legal action in order to try to make the League enforce their punishments correctly- maybe those who comply if they lose promotion or relegation to those who flagrantly breach.

Agree with @China Pig your knowledge on this exceeds mine, my feeling is the EFL utterly bottled the Brum situation.

All that does is open the door to the same type of challenges from other clubs.

Yesterdays opponents spent a large amount this summer......no significant revenue from outgoings and no parachute payments.....

A breach of FFP waiting to happen, but probably no real concern that it will hurt that much.

For us, who look like we are abiding by the rules, a real punishment for those who don't is vital, otherwise, this is the best it will ever get....

Unless we decide on the maxim of ' if you can't beat them, join them'.

13 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Agree with @China Pig your knowledge on this exceeds mine, my feeling is the EFL utterly bottled the Brum situation.

All that does is open the door to the same type of challenges from other clubs.

Yesterdays opponents spent a large amount this summer......no significant revenue from outgoings and no parachute payments.....

A breach of FFP waiting to happen, but probably no real concern that it will hurt that much.

For us, who look like we are abiding by the rules, a real punishment for those who don't is vital, otherwise, this is the best it will ever get....

Unless we decide on the maxim of ' if you can't beat them, join them'.

I'm on the fence about it so far tbh.

They had flaws in the original rules- they have rectified them and now we are in season 3 of the rolling 3 year judgement period, we might- I stress might- start to see some proper enforcement.

They were quite tough on Bolton embargo wise, so it seems to depend on a lot of factors. I think intent and good faith definitely plays a part.

Unsure the EFL really want to penalise sides unless it's blatant and in bad faith (aka clearly taking the piss with no proper effort to rectify). For a start it would weaken their own product!

22 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Unsure the EFL really want to penalise sides unless it's blatant and in bad faith (aka clearly taking the piss with no proper effort to rectify). For a start it would weaken their own product!

That last bit is the crux of it isn’t it. EFL have to strike a balance as there is no benefit in sending Club’s to the wall, it damages the product and will make people reluctant to invest, and that isn’t the point of FFP - as I see it anyway.

Hence the slight relaxation with Birmingham to enable them to compete - though I believe it’s free transfers/loan only at pre approved wage levels. People may not see that as fair and I wouldn’t disagree with that but that’s the league giving them every chance before they come down on them much harder.

Not an easy balance to strike TBF but Birmingham and Sheffield Wednesday aren’t two minnows they can bully so it will send a message out. 

2 minutes ago, jimmyb said:

That last bit is the crux of it isn’t it. EFL have to strike a balance as there is no benefit in sending Club’s to the wall, it damages the product and will make people reluctant to invest, and that isn’t the point of FFP - as I see it anyway.

Hence the slight relaxation with Birmingham to enable them to compete - though I believe it’s free transfers/loan only at pre approved wage levels. People may not see that as fair and I wouldn’t disagree with that but that’s the league giving them every chance before they come down on them much harder.

Not an easy balance to strike TBF but Birmingham and Sheffield Wednesday aren’t two minnows they can bully so it will send a message out. 

Agreed on this. I think it should be a bit stricter on Birmingham or perhaps they should have refused Pedersen registration for longer but yeah they don't want to damage clubs, let alone bankrupt them!

Investment aside, a table with a quarter, half the teams getting points deductions or transfer bans would look pretty bad, sponsors and international broadcasters...it would hardly look ideal would it!

Archived