IGNORED

Bristol City v Blackburn Rovers Matchday Thread

wendyredredrobin

10 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Some in the Blackburn forum being disrespectful. 

“These sides?! or you for f..ing real.  this is bristol city,  an average championship side that might flirt with the idea of play offs at times but fall short and finish around 7th to 12th.   jesus christ if we cant compete with bristol city lets give up and go home”

better give up and go home then :D

really amazes me people can say things like that after we have tonked them. 

TBF I'm not worried about being called an average Championship side, even from a newly promoted L1 side. It's the fact they think they are well above average , I guess they expect automatic promotion , poor little deluded Northern Monkeys.

11 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

“These sides?! or you for f..ing real.  this is bristol city,  an average championship side that might flirt with the idea of play offs at times but fall short and finish around 7th to 12th.   jesus christ if we cant compete with bristol city lets give up and go home”

Pretty accurate summary of us though....

1 hour ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Matty Taylor MOM. Quite rightly, links a whole lot of the play together and is a right pest.

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Agree but also with an inconsistent first touch (that's probably partly why he's with us) that said he is improving.

Matty Taylor: a Championship pest, a L1 first touch, a ginger beard and a Conference price tag.

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

TBF I'm not worried about being called an average Championship side, even from a newly promoted L1 side. It's the fact they think they are well above average , I guess they expect automatic promotion , poor little deluded Northern Monkeys.

Perhaps I’m too thin-skinned but it seems as though every time we win a game the opponents say “well if we can’t even beat Bristol City...”. Wouldn’t kill them to acknowledge that we played well. 

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Pretty accurate summary of us though....

That’s not my issue though @BS4 on Tour... it’s more that a newly promoted side can presume they have an automatic superiority even when the direct evidence says otherwise. Didnt see Blackburn giving Man City two hard games last season. 

20 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Their logic seems floored to begin with, they admit we're a top half team who can flirt with the play offs, yet they may as well give up if as a newly promoted team can't compete with us away from home?

We were playing well until the goal from a corner which seemed to totally drain our confidence. Then for 25 minutes we played like a non-league side. brownhill rescued us from a slump and it was all City after that. Weird. The best and worst of this side in one game.

I thought Blackburn were actually a decent little side and reminded me of City when we got promoted in 2015. They had a lot of chances first half, played well but were not ruthless and ended up being punished by a more experienced side at this level.

2nd half we were well worth the win they did not eamt to know once we went ahead.

22 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What a coincidence, I’ve been painting my Ferrari all evening....

Ah, but when mine left the factory it didn't have a handpainted white gloss finish, a tiled roof and a letterbox in the drivers door.

50 minutes ago, GJS said:

Didn’t do anything with the ball.  No end product apart from his goal. Was slow and very unproductive .Thought Elliason achieved a lot more in the same position.

Hopefully he can improve.

He did some useful things with ball. Not everything is gonna end up with a cross or an assist for a goal. Good interchanges with Hunt. 

I certainly agree that Eliasson achieved loads more, just think Watkins made a contribution in his own way and not as poor as sone make out. 

Will watch the game back later and see if I change my mind. 

1 hour ago, Southport Red said:

Obviously stuck in the 90s, someone needs to tell him Shearer & Sutton don’t play for them anymore!

49 minutes ago, mozo said:

We were playing well until the goal from a corner which seemed to totally drain our confidence. Then for 25 minutes we played like a non-league side. brownhill rescued us from a slump and it was all City after that. Weird. The best and worst of this side in one game.

The 1st half defending had the look of the Boro game at times, so that's obviously something LJ was talking about when he talked about getting things better.

Overall, pretty good, bearing in mind the ref was their best player at times. Some superb blocks.

1 hour ago, INCRED said:

Well when you only get 2 shots on target and you think you should be 3 up and the opposition have 11 shots on target and score 4 then over 90 mins Mr Mowbray you are going to come out the wrong side of a result but who am I to comment on your view of the game

Disappointed by Mowbray, always thought he gave Fair post match interviews. 

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Disappointed by Mowbray, always thought he gave Fair post match interviews. 

Just read this myself. I think he's a really decent guy but he is totally wrong on this one.

Hey, just hold up your hands and admit you got turned over by a team who are just starting to catch fire.

Put the game to bed, my arse

16 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Just read this myself. I think he's a really decent guy but he is totally wrong on this one.

Hey, just hold up your hands and admit you got turned over by a team who are just starting to catch fire.

Put the game to bed, my arse

Yeah being a manager he would have seen this time and time again. The fact we came out completely transformed second half should be credited. 

I do laugh at post match interviews. Unless a goal was a worldy its always a "poor goal to concede from our point of view" and silly mistakes etc. Rarely crediting the opposition unlike SOD when every team was better than us.

3 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Anyone else still remember vividly when Blackburn won the Premier League?  I still see it as fresh as yesterday.  We're Bristol City, and we've just spanked former Premier League champions 4-1.

Happy days, what a time to be alive!

You are in a very good mood tonight judging by your last few posts ?.

One thing that I noticed yesterday was when COD was brought on he and Eliasson shared the right flank for a lot of that time and Diedhiou drifted wide left, it totally confused Blackburn and we were able to open them up quite a lot, I assume that until he went off the tactic was to create space through the middle for Wiemann and later Paterson.

13 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Yeah being a manager he would have seen this time and time again. The fact we came out completely transformed second half should be credited. 

I do laugh at post match interviews. Unless a goal was a worldy its always a "poor goal to concede from our point of view" and silly mistakes etc. Rarely crediting the opposition unlike SOD when every team was better than us.

In SOD's case he was probably right. 

Good game that.

Started off well but when they scored we seemed to go into panic and were lucky not to concede more than 1. Brownhill's goal and the half-time break seemed to steady the ship a bit and we played some lovely football. Good for Watkins to get a goal, hopefully that helps him get his form back on track. My MOTM would've been Eliasson, absolutely class in the second half, created 2 of our goals. Hunt not far behind as he had a very good game, hardly put a foot wrong, and Taylor certainly wasn't bad either. Diedhiou was a handful for Blackburn when he came on too, and O'Dowda looked superb. Think we're going to score a lot of goals this season, Diedhiou and Weimann (who didn't have his best game today but he didn't really need to) could well end up being the best strike partnership in this league, providing they both stay fit. 

Only negative was the poor spell we had after Blackburn scored and Pack's first-half performance.

Shame about the international break really but us and Sheffield United will feel the same so I suppose it's not too big of a deal.

More from the Blackburn forums:

I know some people get upset when you praise the opposition but BCFC have battered better teams than ours at Ashton Gate over the last few years. They've always looked a bit fragile whenever I've seen them but when they build up a head of steam they can be very difficult to stop. They get a lot of men forward and they have quality players including the lesser-spotted 'pacey winger' of folklore. There's no real shame in losing down there.

Bristol City are a club that have been rebuilding for a few years now - look at how the stadium has been transformed from what it was.  They have been steadily rebuilding on the pitch and played some decent stuff in the second half.  Why anyone should think that going to Bristol and winning would be a formality for a newly promoted club is beyond me.  The second half yesterday was the first time that we have looked second best in any game thus far and to be fair the last two goals came when we were chasing the game and took risks with the number of attacking players we had on the pitch.

Archived