IGNORED

It's not about age.

Port Said Red

I am approaching my 57 birthday and as far as I can work out, I have been going to Ashton Gate since 1965. 

I have seen posts from some of our more pessimistic posters that are countered by the "moany old git" moniker and I take exception to the "old" bit in that description.

Why? Because in the the 53 years I have been following my club, I honestly think this is the best time to be following City. Sure there has been a more successful times on the pitch in the 70's, but I think the current Championship is almost the equivalent of the old 1st division so it's not too far apart in that respect.

There have been players in my time that would have walked into this team, but not as many as those with rose tinted specs would have you believe.

We have a chairman who has matched the ambition of our greatest ever benefactor and is now getting crowds that are approaching and often exceeding the ones in my era, and they are turning up to a ground that we could only dream of when on our away trips in heady days. The fact that every trivial incident in the crowd is analysed to death on here, just shows how much safer for the younger supporters it has become and it's a place that people want spend more and more time in on match days.

So if you want to criticise the critics, feel free, (I certainly do) just try not to lump all us middle aged/oldies into the same category if you don't mind, as some of us are very positive about the present and the future. ?

2 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Yep. Anyone who used the toilets in the East End would certainly agree with that.......and queuing up for cup tickets for hours in the rain !

When we got really big crowds back in the day, the East End often WAS a toilet. :shocking: 

It's not about age but experience. Experience that tells us when someone is bullshiting , not giving their all for the shirt etc .

Therefore more mature folks have the comparisons that youngsters don't.

Equally older people , generally, give less of a hoot as to what others think so feel more comfortable airing their opinions.

Rock on the Silver Red Army !

:cool2:

15 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It's not about age but experience. Experience that tells us when someone is bullshiting , not giving their all for the shirt etc .

Therefore more mature folks have the comparisons that youngsters don't.

Equally older people , generally, give less of a hoot as to what others think so feel more comfortable airing their opinions.

Rock on the Silver Red Army !

:cool2:

Indeed wisdom does come with age, but also so does cynicism. Because you have seen something similar in the past, it doesn't always mean that the same thing is happening in the present.

Both young and old are guilty of the arrogance of knowing the 'truth'. 

40 minutes ago, downendcity said:

When we got really big crowds back in the day, the East End often WAS a toilet. :shocking: 

So many used to piss into a rolled up newspaper and just throw it on the floor.

54 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I am approaching my 57 birthday and as far as I can work out, I have been going to Ashton Gate since 1965. 

I have seen posts from some of our more pessimistic posters that are countered by the "moany old git" moniker and I take exception to the "old" bit in that description.

Why? Because in the the 53 years I have been following my club, I honestly think this is the best time to be following City. Sure there has been a more successful times on the pitch in the 70's, but I think the current Championship is almost the equivalent of the old 1st division so it's not too far apart in that respect.

There have been players in my time that would have walked into this team, but not as many as those with rose tinted specs would have you believe.

We have a chairman who has matched the ambition of our greatest ever benefactor and is now getting crowds that are approaching and often exceeding the ones in my era, and they are turning up to a ground that we could only dream of when on our away trips in heady days. The fact that every trivial incident in the crowd is analysed to death on here, just shows how much safer for the younger supporters it has become and it's a place that people want spend more and more time in on match days.

So if you want to criticise the critics, feel free, (I certainly do) just try not to lump all us middle aged/oldies into the same category if you don't mind, as some of us are very positive about the present and the future. ?

Harder times back then...but no one knew any different.

I think many of the 'older' over 40's struggle to understand the 'softer' generation.

So much has changed in such a short time. Society is so different.

It's incomparable in many ways.

Truly glad I grew up when I did...and experienced footy and society as it used to be. It wasn't perfect by no means...

As for the Club now and the Championship....couldn't agree more. It's such a great League to play in. I have no interest in the Prem at all.

I'd personally be happy to play in this division for a very long time.

The only things I'd change and wish for, are an easier way of getting to the ground and finding parking....or better public transport facilities. It's the one major thing that stops me going.

Far cheaper ticket prices for pay on the day...£20 for a game of football is plenty imo. I so wish we had the German mentality and set up.

I'm in the camp that thinks Season ticket holders shouldn't have a cheaper rate than fans who can't make every game.

A season ticket imo...should be just a guarantee, that it reserves the seat you want every game and enables you to choose where you want to sit every game. Nothing more.

Imo...a ticket on the day, should be the same price as what a season ticket holder has paid in that part of the ground.

A fan shouldn't be financially burdened, if he or she can't make every game, often down to work or family commitments.

I would also make it that if a season ticket cannot be bought and never used. Which apparently some do to keep that seat for the future.

All empty seats in the ground should be used on the day imo.

Nothing looks worse or makes any sense, when you see most of the seats in the lower central Lansdown empty on match day.

I don't think anything football wise would beat the excitement and anticipation of standing in a 30 yard queue, 3 abreast, outside the juvenile turnstile at the old covered end with the East End already in full pre match voice inside.

Couldn't wait to get in there, and always an edge wondering if there would be away fans in there too.

Not that I actively hoped there would be, but the whole match experience was exciting and unpredictable in my youth in so many ways where it lacks now.

Mind you, the same could be said for almost every aspect of life when you get to my age unfortunately. :(

As for the football, always been up and down, both in terms of which league we're in, and the standard on the pitch, but the lack of tackling and genuine aggression now and also the uninhibited, often amusing shouts from individuals in the crowd (for which they'd probably be pinpointed and chucked out now) make the whole occasion far more mundane these days.

Also the pitches - far too pristine now. I enjoyed the varying conditions throughout the season, sliding tackles, defensive mistakes from muddied players, not a chess game played out on a gigantic snooker table.

Nothing will ever beat the 75-76 season afaic., a fantastic City team fighting every week for the club, the fans and each other, and I was just the right age to really enjoy it. :yes:

49 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think many of the 'older' over 40's struggle to understand the 'softer' generation.

Truly glad I grew up when I did...and experienced footy and society as it used to be. It wasn't perfect by no means...

As for the Club now and the Championship....couldn't agree more. It's such a great League to play in. I have no interest in the Prem at all.

The only things I'd change and wish for, are an easier way of getting to the ground and finding parking....or better public transport facilities. It's the one major thing that stops me going.

Far cheaper ticket prices for pay on the day...£20 for a game of football is plenty imo. I so wish we had the German mentality and set up.

I'm in the camp that thinks Season ticket holders shouldn't have a cheaper rate than fans who can't make every game.

A season ticket imo...should be just a guarantee, that it reserves the seat you want every game and enables you to choose where you want to sit every game. Nothing more.

Imo...a ticket on the day, should be the same price as what a season ticket holder has paid in that part of the ground.

A fan shouldn't be financially burdened, if he or she can't make every game, often down to work or family commitments.

I would also make it that if a season ticket cannot be bought and never used. Which apparently some do to keep that seat for the future.

Nothing looks worse or makes any sense, when you see most of the seats in the lower central Lansdown empty on match day.

Then  no one would buy a season ticket, as there is no discount. The money from season tickets is important to the club as they get it in one go as opposed to two weekly subject to the unknown such as how well, or not, we are doing and the weather, and TV coverage etc.

Your suggestion is just not practical

16 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Then  no one would buy a season ticket, as there is no discount. The money from season tickets is important to the club as they get it in one go as opposed to two weekly subject to the unknown such as how well, or not, we are doing and the weather, and TV coverage etc.

Season ticket holders should be obliged to turn up so as to avoid the embarrassment of empty seats.

There should be a sort of club press gang who go out and about rounding them up .

27 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

All that said, it is hard to forget the good old days - the Tizer lorry, white dog poo and @Bristol Rob's personal favorite....tuberculosis.

Thought that was one of the Greek teams Liverpool beat on the way to one of their European Cup wins.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

In those days supporting your team was an emotional commitment that cost relatively little compared to incomes and other costs of living. These days supporting your team is primarily a financial commitment due to the relative cost. 

40 years ago football was the working mans' game. These days it has become the corporate mans' hobby, such have the costs risen.

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

In those days supporting your team was an emotional commitment that cost relatively little compared to incomes and other costs of living. These days supporting your team is primarily a financial commitment due to the relative cost. 

40 years ago football was the working mans' game. These days it has become the corporate mans' hobby, such have the costs risen.

My Dad I guess back in the 50’s and 60’s, long before I was a twinkle in his eye, used to go and watch us one week and the Gas the next. Never had a ST just used to go and watch to see a game of football. He worked on  building sites and that’s what they all did, pint and footie then last bus or walk home.

I was pretty horrified when he first told me he watched the Gas, but he assured me it was quite common then. Fans didn’t travel to away matches like we do now,  almost no football on tv, that’s if you were indeed lucky enough to have a tv. He died a few years ago now but loved his football to the end. I don’t know what he would have made of all the coverage, being able to stream games to your phone etc. Certainly very different from some of my early experiences never mind his.

45 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

All that said, it is hard to forget the good old days - the Tizer lorry, white dog poo and @Bristol Rob's personal favorite....tuberculosis.

I think it is quite right that dog owners are fined if they don't clean up after their mutt has done its biz. However, I believe that if, and it is a big if nowadays, their dog produces a white turd then they should be fined if they do clear it up. This would encourage the production of the much missed white dog poo.

What's interesting is how the club and players views are so much more accessible now via social media - rather than an Evening Post article, but the games much less so, you used to be able to rock up on the night; pay a very affordable entrance fee and see the games.

I appreciate that allocated seating changes a lot of this, but that's the main change for me apart from the obvious stadium stuff.

PS Not sure I agree "the current Championship is almost the equivalent of the old 1st division" the first division still had England internationals and much better grounds then in comparison to the Championship now.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Very well written post. 

I agree that in many ways, we are watching a quality of football unlike almost anything that's gone before. Although as we were in the top league for four years, that still remains the pinnacle for me, even if some if the promotion teams from third to second tier still bring such warm memories.

As for your comment about yesterday's players making the current squad. Because fitness and tactics have improved so much, you may well be correct. However, I consider that all us oldies could choose two from each decade that we have seen, who would definitely improve our squad if they had today's fitness etc. So I'll broaden your post.

1950-60 Atyeo and Thresher

1960-70 Connor and Kellard

1970-80 Gow and Hunter

1980-90 Moeller and Bob Taylor

1990-2000 Cole and Tinnion

2000-2010 Murray and Marv Elliott

2010 - 2018 I'll leave this to the young ones

1 hour ago, Grey Fox said:

Of course fans would buy season tickets. Buying a season ticket guarantees you a seat where you want to sit every game. You get the prime seating...where YOU want to sit. You can also make it so that you sit with friends.

Not having a season ticket and paying on the day, means you often don't have the prime seating positions...and have to sit where the majority of fans don't want to sit. Plus you have to pay the top end price.

Would people buy a discounted season ticket if it guarantee you the same seat every game, and they were unreserved? A lot less would do so imo.

9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Very well written post. 

I agree that in many ways, we are watching a quality of football unlike almost anything that's gone before. Although as we were in the top league for four years, that still remains the pinnacle for me, even if some if the promotion teams from third to second tier still bring such warm memories.

As for your comment about yesterday's players making the current squad. Because fitness and tactics have improved so much, you may well be correct. However, I consider that all us oldies could choose two from each decade that we have seen, who would definitely improve our squad if they had today's fitness etc. So I'll broaden your post.

1950-60 Atyeo and Thresher

1960-70 Connor and Kellard

1970-80 Gow and Hunter

1980-90 Moeller and Bob Taylor

1990-2000 Cole and Tinnion

2000-2010 Murray and Marv Elliott

2010 - 2018 I'll leave this to the young ones

1950-60 Too early for me!

1960-70 Galley and Garland

1970-80 Gow and Merrick

1980-90 Walsh and Newman

1990-2000 Shaun Taylor and Goater

2000-2010 Murray and Basso

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Of course fans would buy season tickets. Buying a season ticket guarantees you a seat where you want to sit every game. You get the prime seating...where YOU want to sit. You can also make it so that you sit with friends.

Not having a season ticket and paying on the day, means you often don't have the prime seating positions...and have to sit where the majority of fans don't want to sit. Plus you have to pay the top end price.

Would people buy a discounted season ticket if it guarantee you the same seat every game, and they were unreserved? A lot less would do so imo.

I know what you're saying, but there is also the loyalty element to an S/T. Most holders go to every home game, rain or shine, and like loyal customers everywhere they deserve some sort of recognition for this  (more than 10% off an indigestible "pastie").

I often have to work on weekends with business trips etc, but I arrange these around our home games. If I got no discount I'd think "**** it" - and go to a lot fewer games. I'd not always drive the hour to Bristol and rearrange work if I had to queue for on-the-day tickets, and if there was no financial incentive to an ST I personally wouldn't buy one.

The small discount you get when buying a season ticket offsets the loss when you can't make any of the games during the season.

So, if you do miss some games the cost usually evens out.

(Not very well explained, but you probably understand what I mean)

I'm in Sweden at the mo, so missed Villa, which makes the average cost per game more expensive.

This Swedish beer is good stuff.  I will have every sympathy for Tommy in the future. ?

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

I think it is quite right that dog owners are fined if they don't clean up after their mutt has done its biz. However, I believe that if, and it is a big if nowadays, their dog produces a white turd then they should be fined if they do clear it up. This would encourage the production of the much missed white dog poo.

Nic Nak Paddy Whack Give A Dog A Bone...  white dog shit would then come home.

Great stuff for marking out Hop-Scotch squares...    

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Totally with you although thankfully I'm a bit younger ??

I can't help feeling that we would have an incredibly depressing season if we got promoted to the Prem. That doesn't mean I wouldn't take it if it was offered but losing game after game is a real possibility. Cardiff being the example.

Championship  games are often unpredictable and consequently entertaining. That's what I want from my football.

I don't miss the old Ashton Gate, I love the new one. Had some fantastic days on the old terraces but some utterly depressing days in the 80s. The pre-match atmosphere behind the Lansdown and South Stands is far better than anything in my supporting past.

I like seeing the club moving forward (plans for the basketball arena look superb even though I've never watched a league game) and I'm one of those rare people who thinks the Bristol Sport idea is good for the football club. Stronger together and all that.

My main wish is that in the rush to move on, the football club doesn't lose its heart. The changes to disabled tickets at the end of last season was a grim episode.

Enjoy remembering the good days in our history but always look to the future.

2 hours ago, 42nite said:

The small discount you get when buying a season ticket offsets the loss when you can't make any of the games during the season.

So, if you do miss some games the cost usually evens out.

(Not very well explained, but you probably understand what I mean)

I'm in Sweden at the mo, so missed Villa, which makes the average cost per game more expensive.

This Swedish beer is good stuff.  I will have every sympathy for Tommy in the future. ?

I agree, my job means missing many a midweek game and I too missed Villa because of travel. I would be less likely to  go if I didn't have a season ticket.  I do try to offset this by giving (not selling) my ticket to any friends who can make it.

Archived