IGNORED

It's not about age.

Port Said Red

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I agree, my jib means missing many a midweek game and I too missed Villa because of travel.  I do try to offset this by giving (not selling) my tickets to any friends who can make it.

Come on, at your age you should be able to manage your work diary to meet personal demands! ?

6 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

All that said, it is hard to forget the good old days - the Tizer lorry, white dog poo and @Bristol Rob's personal favorite....tuberculosis.

I'm told there was some social inequality back then, although I never really noticed it. BTW; I'm still waiting for one of those three urchins to pick up my case and carry it for me!

Image result for the picture of toffs and poor kids at lords

6 minutes ago, 22A said:

I'm told there was some social inequality back then, although I never really noticed it. BTW; I'm still waiting for one of those three urchins to pick up my case and carry it for me!

Image result for the picture of toffs and poor kids at lords

Is this you, Roger Red Hat? (Pre dullmoan stand!)

6 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

1950-60 Too early for me!

1960-70 Galley and Garland

1970-80 Gow and Merrick

1980-90 Walsh and Newman

1990-2000 Shaun Taylor and Goater

2000-2010 Murray and Basso

Great players but even some of them could have struggled with the pace of the modern game... although I'm sure they'd be fitter and sharper in todays game we can only guess how they'd fare..

15 minutes ago, Judda said:

Great players but even some of them could have struggled with the pace of the modern game... although I'm sure they'd be fitter and sharper in todays game we can only guess how they'd fare..

Exactly if Players of the past had the regimen of today there is no telling where they would be. In both a good way and a bad way o suspect. 

21 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly if Players of the past had the regimen of today there is no telling where they would be. In both a good way and a bad way o suspect. 

Subject to modern dietary regimes, training methods, modern tactics, lightweight football, modern boots and billiard table pitches, the great players of the past would be also be great players today.

Some, like Best, would be even better.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Belisha beacons.

Pig bins, the lorry with the wire cage to collect the paper sacks, balaclava's in winter, duffle coats, tricycle's with a boot o the back, home made trolleys, marbles.

1 hour ago, Judda said:

Everything football related is far cleaner these days. Quite rightly so and I’m an oldie!  Like other oldies I miss certain elements of the old days but then I’m older now and far less accepting of things I’d never really thought about in my youth. 

The AG match day experience these days is far,far better than it’s ever been. Decent beer and food outlets ( still overpriced imv)  clean toilets and the fanzone is a fantastic creation.

9 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Always concerned when an oldie doesn’t finish a post.  Hope that was a typo and nothing more serious.

or have I been whooshed?   I’m guessing the 2nd...

Probably forgot what he was going to type next.

Policeman finds an old boy in tears and asks him if he's upset because he's all alone.

" No" says the old boy " I'm married to a gorgeous 30 year old, who is beautiful and has a fantastic figure"

"Ah, so you are upset that at your age you cannot satisfy her sexually, as she is so much younger" says the policeman.

"Not at all" replies the old boy, " she wants sex 3 or 4 times a day, in  every possible position and I am able to keep up with and satisfy her - better than younger  men,  she tells me. Not only that but she brews her own beer and is a top class cook".

" In that case, what the heck have you got to be upset about" says the copper.

"I'm buggered if I can remember where I live!"

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Everything football related is far cleaner these days. Quite rightly so and I’m an oldie!  Like other oldies I miss certain elements of the old days but then I’m older now and far less accepting of things I’d never really thought about in my youth. 

The AG match day experience these days is far,far better than it’s ever been. Decent beer and food outlets ( still overpriced imv)  clean toilets and the fanzone is a fantastic creation.

does that mean the toilet?

8 hours ago, 42nite said:

The small discount you get when buying a season ticket offsets the loss when you can't make any of the games during the season.

So, if you do miss some games the cost usually evens out.

(Not very well explained, but you probably understand what I mean)

I'm in Sweden at the mo, so missed Villa, which makes the average cost per game more expensive.

This Swedish beer is good stuff.  I will have every sympathy for Tommy in the future. ?

Isn't it bl***y expensive though?

Another 'old un' here.  Been watching since  late 60's and seen many a great player, and great teams, and plain sh1te teams with an equal number of poor players.  Seen the heights of the old Div One and playing the likes of Liverpool at the gate with 38,000 inside and also losing to Torquay united on a wet Tuesday night start of winter ( 0 - 1) which sent us bottom of the old Div 4.  (and  a gate of 3000 present). Chuck all that in the melting pot and compare to today . 

I do not think it has ever been so good.  The stadium is so good now,  the Match day experience is just great and the fan zone top drawer. Nice to see all fans mixing without incident (so far)  It reminds me of Reading AFC who used to play at Elm park in front of 5000 gates, and a new stadium transformed the club.  It is true 'build it and they will come!'  we are watching perhaps a half decent team, with plenty of scope for improvement, and gates averaging around £20K.  The facilities have moved us up another level.  

Do I miss the old days, No.  The Championship is a great league to compete in and i just hope that we can take the next step in the next few years.  Time will tell

55 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Always concerned when an oldie doesn’t finish a post.  Hope that was a typo and nothing more serious.

or have I been whooshed?   I’m guessing the 2nd...  At least I bloody hope so

Rumours of my demise have been wildly over exaggerated! ?

6 hours ago, downendcity said:

Subject to modern dietary regimes, training methods, modern tactics, lightweight football, modern boots and billiard table pitches, the great players of the past would be also be great players today.

Some, like Best, would be even better.

You reckon. I’m not so sure with many. But who knows. 

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

You reckon. I’m not so sure with many. But who knows. 

Turn it round the other way.

Playing on pitches that resembled Weston-S-M beach with tide out, using leather balls weighing half a ton when wet, players allowed to tackle from behind, players allowed to tackle properly, would today's great players have been so great were they playing 40 years ago.

Players like Best, Greaves, Charlton, Finney and Matthews did and were, so with that ability why would they not be as good if they were subject to modern dietary and training regimes and playing on billiard table pitches with lightweight balls and greater protection from referees in today's almost non-contact game?

7 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Another 'old un' here.  Been watching since  late 60's and seen many a great player, and great teams, and plain sh1te teams with an equal number of poor players.  Seen the heights of the old Div One and playing the likes of Liverpool at the gate with 38,000 inside and also losing to Torquay united on a wet Tuesday night start of winter ( 0 - 1) which sent us bottom of the old Div 4.  (and  a gate of 3000 present). Chuck all that in the melting pot and compare to today . 

I do not think it has ever been so good.  The stadium is so good now,  the Match day experience is just great and the fan zone top drawer. Nice to see all fans mixing without incident (so far)  It reminds me of Reading AFC who used to play at Elm park in front of 5000 gates, and a new stadium transformed the club.  It is true 'build it and they will come!'  we are watching perhaps a half decent team, with plenty of scope for improvement, and gates averaging around £20K.  The facilities have moved us up another level.  

Do I miss the old days, No.  The Championship is a great league to compete in and i just hope that we can take the next step in the next few years.  Time will tell

Was gonna contribute myself, but DT has basically said it all for me. 

No comparison at all with “the old days” at Ashton Gate. Modern experience far superior. My first City game was v Middlesbrough in 1959: two “Centre forwards” were Atyeo and Clough. With mates from school team, we played Saturday mornings, travelled by train and watched City/Rovers alternate weeks. Also saw full house v Liverpool and empty Gate v Torquay. Remember those heavy footballs and muddy pitches hugely restricting skill levels. 

The matchday experience at Ashton Gate is far better, now. The only downside is getting there, especially for fans living outside Bristol, and having to constantly change plans due to altered ko times!

The prematch  sight of a well aimed loo roll flying through the air,  leaving a tail stream  of tissue before it wrapped itself around the goal net,  or even better hitting a player was almost poetic. The officials then had to move a ton of the stuff before starting the match. When did this stop? *

* I’m not campaigning for reintroducing this by the way, it’s illegal to throw stuff on the pitch and not very eco friendly :laugh:

9 hours ago, Midred said:

Rumours of my demise have been wildly over exag

g

e

r

r

Archived