IGNORED

A Millwall fan's view

old_eastender

One of my work colleagues (based in West Sussex) is a Millwall fan who regularly watches them. Talking about Sunday's game his expectation is that we will win comfortably 2 or 3 nil.

He says Millwall have been particularly poor away from home, having lost 7 out of 9 and drawn the other 2. For him this season is all about survival, finishing out of the bottom 3 will be an achievement. They have had little investment and lack any real quality but have had some good home results with battling displays.

I told him we have been playing really poorly recently, even the win at Ipswich came with all 3 of our goals having a big slice of luck and that I'm still concerned that under LJ we could be dragged into a relegation battle.

His summary statement, "well, if you can't beat us at home, then maybe you are relegation candidates as we will definitely finish in the bottom 6". 

From looking at a number of Championship team forums it is amazing the number of forums with many fans predicting relegation after a poor run of results. At the moment about fifteen teams will be relegated from the Championship this season if we believe these forum 'experts'. Millwall always put up a fight and City won't have an easy ride of it on Sunday. City have spent the bulk of this season in mid table or above so we don't automatically become relegation candidates if we don't beat Millwall. Luckily some fans on here have a bit more perspective than constantly having knee jerk reactions to the previous handful of results.

Millwall are a physical team who I think will come to the gate on Sunday looking for a point.  We find these type of teams very hard to break down.

If we can't beat teams like this though, I don't rate our chances in the second half of the season.

This is a game for using the right formation,right tactics and getting creative rather than getting the ball and lumping it up to Diedhiou.

Preston have a hoodoo over us whereas Millwall don’t. In fact, if anything we have a bit of a hoodoo over THEM. 

Superstitious nonsense? Well, there is no science behind it but it affects the psyche and morale of a team.  I think of it a bit like the ‘Home Advantage’ - it’s real, but psychological, because the ball is the same size, shape and weight, the rules are the same, and the playing surfaces don’t vary much these days wherever the game is held. Transportation is comfortable and efficient - and accommodation is 5-star if the team has to stay overnight.  The crowd may be more hostile but that’s just noise - sticks and stones etc. Despite this, results stats show that on average playing at home gives you an advantage.

Its a funny old game......

45 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Millwall are a physical team who I think will come to the gate on Sunday looking for a point.  We find these type of teams very hard to break down.

If we can't beat teams like this though, I don't rate our chances in the second half of the season.

This is a game for using the right formation,right tactics and getting creative rather than getting the ball and lumping it up to Diedhiou.

I'm not a big Didhiou fan but with Millwall putting 11 behind the ball & playing 'hard to Get I would play him with two wingers..

An attacking formation/attitude from the off and try to stretch/get in behind.....

So its 4-4-2 then Lee..!

4 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Preston have a hoodoo over us whereas Millwall don’t. In fact, if anything we have a bit of a hoodoo over THEM. 

Superstitious nonsense? Well, there is no science behind it but it affects the psyche and morale of a team.  I think of it a bit like the ‘Home Advantage’ - it’s real, but psychological, because the ball is the same size, shape and weight, the rules are the same, and the playing surfaces don’t vary much these days wherever the game is held. The crowd may be more hostile but that’s just noise - sticks and stones etc. 

First game of season David James debut wasn't.....

44 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I think your first sentence is spot on.  It is these types of teams that drag us away from playing our game (whatever that is these days), frustrate us and our fans and make getting a result difficult.  We don’t seem to be able to win the battle and impose our football.  It disappoints me that a team can stop us just by what appears to be more effort and organisation.  We need to be strong, play our way, and almost ignore we’ll get roughed up a bit.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I think your first sentence is spot on.  It is these types of teams that drag us away from playing our game (whatever that is these days), frustrate us and our fans and make getting a result difficult.  We don’t seem to be able to win the battle and impose our football.  It disappoints me that a team can stop us just by what appears to be more effort and organisation.  We need to be strong, play our way, and almost ignore we’ll get roughed up a bit.

Spot on Dave. But it doesn’t seem we can play that way, we don’t have the personnel who are happy to ‘take it and give it’. We can all see that’s what’s ‘walls tactics will be tomorrow so its going to be interesting to see how Johnson tackles it. 

I ignore what the majority of championship fans say when it comes to things like this. I spent an hour drunkenly arguing with two leeds fans about who was going to lose our game against them. They honestly couldn't see themselves winning.... 

Truth is the old cliche that any team can beat any team in this division. (except preston... We never beat preston.) 

28 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

A staggering stat about Millwall, is that the biggest transfer fee they have ever paid is £800,000 to secure Paul Goddard from Derby County in December 1989.

Almost as staggering as the one about Andy Tilson..! 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Surely after a confidence boosting win at Portman Rd that tomorrow’s performance won’t be as dire as the PNE game? 

Lets hope not.......

The 'Heroes' return!!   (hmm, we'll see) 

….will we be hearing a certain Bowie classic booming out of the speakers pre-match I wonder? .. Hope so, I like ironic humour!

(sadly if they do play it you probably won't notice @Robbored , bloody PA system eh? still not sorted either arrrgh! )  

4 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

(sadly if they do play it you probably won't notice @Robbored , bloody PA system eh? still not sorted either arrrgh! )  

The music is fine over the PA system, it’s the verbal stuff that’s inaudible but I’m not going to complain about it any longer after MKelly spoke at Senior Reds and explained (eventually.......:cool2:) what the difficulties are and that it won’t be sorted anytime soon.

I got the impression that it’s a financial issue.

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Superstitious nonsense? Well, there is no science behind it but it affects the psyche and morale of a team.  I think of it a bit like the ‘Home Advantage’ - it’s real, but psychological, because the ball is the same size, shape and weight, the rules are the same, and the playing surfaces don’t vary much these days wherever the game is held. Transportation is comfortable and efficient - and accommodation is 5-star if the team has to stay overnight.  The crowd may be more hostile but that’s just noise - sticks and stones etc. Despite this, results stats show that on average playing at home gives you an advantage.

It must be psychological, what other reason can there be, most games of skill there is a large element that is played in the head. As an example playing darts down at my local on a Sunday lunchtime I would beat practically everybody and look a very good player, Monday night in the league players that I would normally wipe the floor with would beat me, it was very frustrating. Of course it was all in my head and I would tell myself that but just couldn't overcome it. 

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

If you look at that stats there isn’t much of a home advantage anymore 

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The music is fine over the PA system, it’s the verbal stuff that’s inaudible but I’m not going to complain about it any longer after MKelly spoke at Senior Reds and explained (eventually.......:cool2:) what the difficulties are and that it won’t be sorted anytime soon.

** I got the impression that it’s a financial issue. 

** It certainly would be 'a financial issue'  if 'restricted audio areas' in the stadium like 'restricted view seats'  in theatres etc meant reduced priced tickets for paying customers who cant enjoy the full matchday experience … It'd quickly become a priority fix 'financial issue' then Robbo if it inconvenienced the club coffers rather than it's supporters. 

2 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

** It certainly would be 'a financial issue'  if 'restricted audio areas' in the stadium like 'restricted view seats'  in theatres etc meant reduced priced tickets for paying customers who cant enjoy the full matchday experience … It'd quickly become a priority fix 'financial issue' then Robbo if it inconvenienced the club coffers rather than it's supporters. 

Indeed it would....but from what MKelly said the club have had two quotes from companies to sort out the problem, one considerabley cheaper than the other so rather than immediately take the cheaper one they’re going to see why there is such  difference between the two for what is essentially the same job.

i suppose you could could that due diligence.

4 hours ago, When the river runs said:

I expect the game to be a bit of a dull affair like the last couple of home games we have played them , however they are there for the taking and 6 points over possible relegation contenders, which many view us will be will be massive after our recent bad patch.

Every home game at the moment is a dull affair. Other than the second half v Blackburn I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed watching City. 

5 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Does it though?

90% of the past record will have no bearing at all on the players or manager.

In today's trigger happy world, the average tenure of a manager in the English league is 1.23 years (from a report in 2015, so not fully up to date).

So each squad might face another side, with the same managers in charge 3 times at most (excluding cups).

Add in player turnover and the relevance of previous games lessens even more.

Archived