IGNORED

Derby County v Bristol City Match Day 23

Septic Peg

Merry Christmas, Joyeux Noel, Feliz Navidad etc.

Today, we make the trip to 'a shithole oop norf' and visit east midlands sheep wranglers, Derby County.

Managed by the ex England star Lamps, sitting pretty in 4th spot, regular PO contenders (in fact, if they make the PO this season, it will be the sixth successive time) Derby hope this season will be the one.

Much coffee was spat in shock when it was announced that Frank would be the new manager. An ex pro walking into their first managerial job isn't a new thing. But not for a high calibre Champ team. The tried and tested formula is get a manager with experience albeit either in the lower leagues (LJ) or from abroad. A newbie walking in to a plum job like that is rarely heard of.

The last time I can recall an ex pro rookie manager taking the reins at a high profile club was Alan Shearer at Newcastle. Newcastle were struggling and looked likely for relegation. Shearer took the reins for the last 8 games of the season and whilst regular manager Joe Kinnear recovered from an illness, he saved them from the drop.

(Yes I know. What about Garry Monk at Swansea? - yes, he applies too but he was an internal appointment. Shearer wasn't on the payroll when he rejoined Newcastle).

All in all, young Frankie is doing well with the Rams. A club he had no prior links with, he has won 11 league games and they sit 7 points behind league leaders Leeds.

Could cockney Frank send the rams up to play against his old pals at Chelsea next year? One to watch for sure.

On to today.

Drawing 0-0 with their main rivals Forest a few days ago will have taken some wind out of their sails. We held Norwich to a draw too. So I'm putting money on a score draw today. 1-1. They are also without some key players through injury and suspension so I'll take a scrappy 2-1 win too. Fammy to score both.

Merry Christmas to all you guys on OTIB and I'll see you all on Boxing Day. Hope you all get lovely pressies and plenty of socks. A Lynx set is a bonus.

COYRs!

Just now, Septic Peg said:

So we are getting a French midfielder and Spanish striker in January then?

1 minute ago, Septic Peg said:

Merry Christmas to all you guys on OTIB and I'll see you all on Boxing Day. Hope you all get lovely pressies and plenty of socks. A Lynx set is a bonus.

Same back at you....have a great Xmas one and all.

I've always disliked Derby, maybe because my History teacher at school was a fan of them and always seemed a bit smug when talking about football.

I've got a feeling we'll get a point today, which would be a decent result (unless, of course, it involves us losing a 3 goal lead).

COYR

5 minutes ago, Offside said:

I've always disliked Derby, maybe because my History teacher at school was a fan of them and always seemed a bit smug when talking about football.

I've got a feeling we'll get a point today, which would be a decent result (unless, of course, it involves us losing a 3 goal lead).

COYR

I’ve always been a bit anti Derby since Brian Clough.

Yeah I know most people loved the old egomaniac, but not me.

3 minutes ago, Offside said:

COYR

I`ve always had a bit of a soft spot for them since I worked with a bloke in Tavistock who went to every game - even midweek home league cup games!

He eventually moved to Leicester to work to cut down the travelling and moved the week before one Christmas. The problem then was that they had Plymouth away in the third round of the FA Cup two weeks later!

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

We can win this game. I've noticed Keogh never seems to cope well with Diedhiou. My only worry is Pisano on Lawrence. I think our midfield cope with theirs. Pack is better than Huddlestone imo. I think the key is hitting them on the counter attack. I hope we don't try an expansive game as going toe to toe with them on their ground will play into their hands. 

Cue him having a stormer now but Keogh looks like an accident waiting to happen these days - he`s losing it a bit I think. The key to Huddlestone is not to let him have time on the ball and not to give away silly free kicks on the edge of the box.

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

We can win this game. I've noticed Keogh never seems to cope well with Diedhiou. My only worry is Pisano on Lawrence. I think our midfield cope with theirs. Pack is better than Huddlestone imo. I think the key is hitting them on the counter attack. I hope we don't try an expansive game as going toe to toe with them on their ground will play into their hands. 

Lawrence is a doubt according to Sky.

https://www.skysports.com/football/derby-vs-bristol-c/preview/392810

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Today, we make the trip to 'a shithole oop norf' and visit east midlands sheep wranglers, Derby County.

Managed by the ex England star Lamps, sitting pretty in 4th spot, regular PO contenders (in fact, if they make the PO this season, it will be the sixth successive time) Derby hope this season will be the one.

Much coffee was spat in shock when it was announced that Frank would be the new manager. An ex pro walking into their first managerial job isn't a new thing. But not for a high calibre Champ team. The tried and tested formula is get a manager with experience albeit either in the lower leagues (LJ) or from abroad. A newbie walking in to a plum job like that is rarely heard of.

The last time I can recall an ex pro rookie manager taking the reins at a high profile club was Alan Shearer at Newcastle. Newcastle were struggling and looked likely for relegation. Shearer took the reins for the last 8 games of the season and whilst regular manager Joe Kinnear recovered from an illness, he saved them from the drop.

(Yes I know. What about Garry Monk at Swansea? - yes, he applies too but he was an internal appointment. Shearer wasn't on the payroll when he rejoined Newcastle).

All in all, young Frankie is doing well with the Rams. A club he had no prior links with, he has won 11 league games and they sit 7 points behind league leaders Leeds.

Could cockney Frank send the rams up to play against his old pals at Chelsea next year? One to watch for sure.

On to today.

Drawing 0-0 with their main rivals Forest a few days ago will have taken some wind out of their sails. We held Norwich to a draw too. So I'm putting money on a score draw today. 1-1. They are also without some key players through injury and suspension so I'll take a scrappy 2-1 win too. Fammy to score both.

COYRs!

Oi...I love near Derby! Mind you, you may have a point.

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

The last time I can recall an ex pro rookie manager taking the reins at a high profile club was Alan Shearer at Newcastle. Newcastle were struggling and looked likely for relegation. Shearer took the reins for the last 8 games of the season and whilst regular manager Joe Kinnear recovered from an illness, he saved them from the drop

Incorrect Peggy. Shearer failed to save them - albeit they were doomed anyway. Newcastle can get in the sea. 

2 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

On to today.

COYRs!

Who is summarizing?

Archived