IGNORED

SIGNED: Kasey Palmer ( 4 years, Undisclosed fee)

The hand of RO'D

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Assuming there is some accuracy in the Wales Online article

Am I reading it right ?

Swansea want to Loan him

We want or are happy to buy him

and according to them 

The Swans are currently looking for a loan move, but it's understood the player himself is keen to ensure that his next club can offer a more stable long-term future. That means Swansea will now almost certainly have to dip into their pocket if they want to land their man.

if that’s correct and , even if the Swans agreed to buy, he preferred a move here then that appears fair accompli

In that case why has it not happened - if true , as I see it , that would indicate Palmer is waiting to see if the Swans or someone else decides to put an offer in and atm sees that as his preferred option if they are willing to take him perm ?

Possibly believes he will lots more game time there ?

All a bit strange 

Personally I would take a lot of persuading signs of enthusiasm etc from Palmer before I’d consider signing him - Where is he going to fit in ?

Don’t we have enough (Numbers at least )players able to pay a 10 role ?

Pato for sale ? 

Could see us going with no striker on the pitch if we signed Palmer either that or no big striker. Lineups like we saw with Paterson and Reid but perhaps being Palmer and Szmodics. Especially at home with Fam getting more minutes away from home. Be my guess but I am not sure. I’d be all for it to be honest but comes with risk but just as much risk as spending 10m on an out and out striker or other scenarios. 

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Could see us going with no striker on the pitch if we signed Palmer either that or no big striker. Lineups like we saw with Paterson and Reid but perhaps being Palmer and Szmodics. Especially at home with Fam getting more minutes away from home. Be my guess but I am not sure. I’d be all for it to be honest but comes with risk but just as much risk as spending 10m on an out and out striker or other scenarios. 

Blimey that’s one hell of a gamble that there’s enough goals from those two ( Accept you are only offering a possible explanation Joe not selling it as genius)

The real reason why Swansea are in pole position is that 50 Swansea fans have pledged their wives to KP as part of their offer to the player, whereas City can only offer 15 fans' wives on a similar basis.

:) 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Well said @Cardy, @BobBobSuperBob and @JoeAman08.

Just one other thing, LJ said on Palmer’s arrival in January that he thought he could play #9 too. 

I do see a bit of 460 being an option with Szmodics, Palmer, Brownhill breaking the lines. 

Interesting to see how this develops. 

Do you , or anyone else see potential in him as a 9 Dave ? 

(accepting we are not talking traditional 9 of various types)

Not sure I can  tbh 

I understand the idea of a fluid front three / six but you need some focal point of sorts 

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yep I have said about this in the past. It is something that could be brilliant, but I would guess it wouldn't work due to Palmer being nothing like Bobby in his pressing and movement. He has everything else though, so if only he could improve on those parts of his game.

It would be great to have 2 ballers up top. Balls being rolled into their feet and each able to turn and create their own openings or create for others. It's the kind of thing I would love to see.

If there is any truth in the Palmer rumour then I think it might suggest we are bringing in Nketiah. As Palmer behind Diedhiou never looked right. It would appear from what we have seen that Palmer needs a player like Nketiah playing in front of him.

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not sure I can  tbh 

I understand the idea of a fluid front three / six but you need some focal point of sorts 

Not in the typical / traditional sense, no, but as a partner, yes. 

We’ve seen a lot of 4231 in the Champ, but could we go 4132 or even 4312?

I dunno. Dack played pretty close to Graham for example. 

I can worry about this if he signs. 

From a quick check it doesn’t look like Cooper coached him directly in England age group, but he will have certainly been aware  

Just now, JonDolman said:

Yep I have said about this in the past. It is something that could be brilliant, but I would guess it wouldn't work due to Palmer being nothing like Bobby in his pressing and movement. He has everything else though, so if only he could improve on those parts of his game.

It would be great to have 2 ballers up top. Balls being rolled into their feet and each able to turn and create their own openings or create for others. It's the kind of thing I would love to see.

If there is any truth in the Palmer rumour then I think it might suggest we are bringing in Nketiah. As Palmer behind Diedhiou never looked right. It would appear from what we have seen that Palmer needs a player like Nketiah playing in front of him.

Bobby wasn’t renowned for his pressing until 17/18, he either kept it hidden all those years or was coached into getting it right....backed up by fantastic fitness levels. 

@BCFC Richard sent me a Tifo link yesterday re Liverpool and Firminho and it’s not all about running round like a headless chicken.

Perhaps LJ thinks he can do the same with Kasey. 

47 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Why does it have to be a Championship striker ?

It doesn’t have to be a Championship striker, the point is that Championship clubs aren’t signing or selling strikers, we aren’t the only club struggling to strengthen in that department.

20 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Who would you  sign or are you content with the strike force as it is. And would you only consider Championship strikers, another Kodjia would suit me.

I would be more than happy for us to be for the Kodjia or Diedhiou & there’s nothing out there to say we haven’t tried that avenue, it could be now that the French clubs or any foreign club for that matter have caught on that we have been seeing them as bargain to buy from & have decided to raise their prices so they are getting a bigger slice of the profits & we aren’t willing to pay what they want?

The point is, I’m sure a new goal scoring striker was / is a priority but you can’t just sit around & wait for that priority signing to arrive because if you do that, you could potentially miss out on strengthening other parts of the team while waiting. Players rarely become available in the order you’d like to sign them, unfortunately.

Swansea link would be that he must have worked with Steve Cooper or his assistants at England level. I can't see them affording Palmer (either his loan fee or wages) and they have a couple of decent no. 10's in Celina, Byers, Grimes and even Mcburnie if he drops off.

I can't say I would be too disappointed if we miss out, particularly if asit  seems we aren't even Palmer's first choice.

7 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Swansea link would be that he must have worked with Steve Cooper or his assistants at England level. I can't see them affording Palmer (either his loan fee or wages) and they have a couple of decent no. 10's in Celina, Byers, Grimes and even Mcburnie if he drops off.

I can't say I would be too disappointed if we miss out, particularly if asit  seems we aren't even Palmer's first choice.

We might be Palmer's first choice, but not necessarily Chelsea's, if they would prefer a loan rather than selling him.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bobby wasn’t renowned for his pressing until 17/18, he either kept it hidden all those years or was coached into getting it right....backed up by fantastic fitness levels. 

@BCFC Richard sent me a Tifo link yesterday re Liverpool and Firminho and it’s not all about running round like a headless chicken.

Those Tifo videos are great. Seen that one before. Yeah you're right not all about just running around. But Firminho is very hard working too, as well as the very intelligent movement.

Palmer has the technical attributes and the speed and strength. Just wonder whether he can do all the other stuff. Seems fairly static to me when wanting the ball, and when trying to win the ball back he doesn't appear to press consistently.

Reid was always a bit deeper before that final season. So he generally wouldn't be chasing like he did when further forward. But no doubt his improved conditioning helped massively. 

Using Palmer as a striker would be a bold move, a bit like when relying on Reid as a striker.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I was just about to post about Liverpool playing without a recognised target man.

Of course Liverpool have Firminho in between Mane and Salah, who are both excellent goal scorers ( Firminho is not too dusty either). Palmer has good body strength, pace and can turn and get past defenders, so I think he could play that role. However, the real questions is whether, as Firminho does, he can open up defences and play in his colleagues and whether we have the players who can put away those chances. 

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Probably why Johnson said he'd like a pre season with him to coach him the skills Bobby gained in the pre season he moved up top. Palmer probably has better technique and strength then Bobby so could do a similar job,maybe better 

27 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not sure I can  tbh 

I’d personally see Szmodics as the more “striker” type player rather than Palmer. 

To the other post about being a gamble I would agree for sure would only counter Reid and Paterson was a gamble at the time too but out of necessity with Diedhiou, Djuric and I believe Taylor all had injuries at around the same time. At least this time we’d have Diedhiou if that was not working. 

I’d also say pace and agility gives defenders the most trouble in this league. A lot of the most successful scoring sides have smaller nippier forwards. Brentford have a small front 3. Leeds have a small front man and attackers behind. Villa had similar types but El Ghazi, Tammy and Adomah are also big. 

Not saying my preference because it isn’t. My preference would be to take 5-7m to Europe and see if I can find the next Maupay, Pukki or Kodjia. Also a gamble but those types cost 15-20m here whereas Europe you can get the value. Idk what will happen but Palmer and that set up would be better than nothing imo. 

While we still have Fammy, he will be regarded as a "big striker" whereas he actually isn't in the old fashioned sense.

A mobile attacking force with all players able to sit in the middle or to go forward as required, would be a very interesting format to play.

Would it come off? We won't know until we try it!

It may be very good or very bad against big and less mobile defenders. I would like to see us play with Fammy as a false nine like Firminho does at Liverpool.

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not in the typical / traditional sense, no, but as a partner, yes. 

We’ve seen a lot of 4231 in the Champ, but could we go 4132 or even 4312?

I dunno. Dack played pretty close to Graham for example. 

I can worry about this if he signs. 

From a quick check it doesn’t look like Cooper coached him directly in England age group, but he will have certainly been aware  

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I’d personally see Szmodics as the more “striker” type player rather than Palmer. 

To the other post about being a gamble I would agree for sure would only counter Reid and Paterson was a gamble at the time too but out of necessity with Diedhiou, Djuric and I believe Taylor all had injuries at around the same time. At least this time we’d have Diedhiou if that was not working. 

I’d also say pace and agility gives defenders the most trouble in this league. A lot of the most successful scoring sides have smaller nippier forwards. Brentford have a small front 3. Leeds have a small front man and attackers behind. Villa had similar types but El Ghazi, Tammy and Adomah are also big. 

Not saying my preference because it isn’t. My preference would be to take 5-7m to Europe and see if I can find the next Maupay, Pukki or Kodjia. Also a gamble but those types cost 15-20m here whereas Europe you can get the value. Idk what will happen but Palmer and that set up would be better than nothing imo. 

No likes left but thanks for your thoughts

Im not sure KP can be likened to Bobby Reid

Bobby had a buzzing obvious desire and magnificent fitness levels and athletic shape in his season up top

He also struck a very sweet ball (I remember commenting on it before LJ moved him up) , had a younger history as a striker and was very busy and alert in and around the box

For all his clear technical ability I’m not sure KP can claim some of those at the present time

(I can see him off someone as you say @Davefevs and I agree with you @JoeAman08 that if we had a plan to replicate Pato / Reid with KP & Szmodics , at times , then Szmodics (Weimann seems the obvious Reid role to me) would have to take on a version of Reid’s role

Maybe Lee sees a plan to use KP or to change him 

its all very hypothetical of course and if we were in for him I would have expected to see more smoke than just Wales Online 

Would be interesting if nothing else !!!

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I see Szmodics as the more Reid type

Get him in, quality player with good headroom to develop if fit and focused. Smzodics looks a fantastic prospect but a big ask to expect him to be our main attacking central midfielder for whole season.

Fee is low for the potential. Any other bargains from Chelsea we can hoover up?

36 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

No likes left but thanks for your thoughts

Im not sure KP can be likened to Bobby Reid

Bobby had a buzzing obvious desire and magnificent fitness levels and athletic shape in his season up top

He also struck a very sweet ball (I remember commenting on it before LJ moved him up) , had a younger history as a striker and was very busy and alert in and around the box

For all his clear technical ability I’m not sure KP can claim some of those at the present time

(I can see him off someone as you say @Davefevs and I agree with you @JoeAman08 that if we had a plan to replicate Pato / Reid with KP & Szmodics , at times , then Szmodics (Weimann seems the obvious Reid role to me) would have to take on a version of Reid’s role

Maybe Lee sees a plan to use KP or to change him 

its all very hypothetical of course and if we were in for him I would have expected to see more smoke than just Wales Online 

Would be interesting if nothing else !!!

Think Palmer is genuinely talented enough to play anywhere from like a no 6(deeper playmaker) to a 8(box to box type) to a 10(creative type) or at a push a 9. Think that is what LJ sees too but anyone’s guess what LJ would actually do with him! People talk about target men as a club in the bag but think KP could be a club in the bag type. Not as dramatic off the field as a Tomlin or as lazy but can be that mercurial type to turn draws into wins. 

Also yes see Weimann in that Reid role of need be as well with Szmodics. Palmer and Pato as the “10s” but beauty of our recruitment is the versatility. 

21 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Think Palmer is genuinely talented enough to play anywhere from like a no 6(deeper playmaker) to a 8(box to box type) to a 10(creative type) or at a push a 9. Think that is what LJ sees too but anyone’s guess what LJ would actually do with him! People talk about target men as a club in the bag but think KP could be a club in the bag type. Not as dramatic off the field as a Tomlin or as lazy but can be that mercurial type to turn draws into wins. 

Also yes see Weimann in that Reid role of need be as well with Szmodics. Palmer and Pato as the “10s” but beauty of our recruitment is the versatility. 

He has the talent Joe

Its the desire to put the work required in to play various positions

At the moment , in his career to date he’s been very much the luxury player

As for ‘Clubs In bag’ - If I’m honest I think Lee has too many in what has become a very large squad 

He commented the other day about recruiting attributes he hasn’t got , and how every player has different attributes to bring

True ,-   but you can’t have every club that’s been ever been made - Personally I think he needs to be more incisive and coordinated with his playing plans and recruitment

If Lee was a golfer he’d want 8 wedges of varying degrees !

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

He has the talent Joe

Its the desire to put the work required in to play various positions

At the moment , in his career to date he’s been very much the luxury player

As for ‘Clubs In bag’ - If I’m honest I think Lee has too many in what has become a very large squad 

He commented the other day about recruiting attributes he hasn’t got , and how every player has different attributes to bring

True ,-   but you can’t have every club that’s been ever been made - Personally I think he needs to be more incisive and coordinated with his playing plans and recruitment

If Lee was a golfer he’d want 8 wedges of varying degrees !

Haha what a brilliant comment. 

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

FWIW - looks like Palmer is on £110k / month at Chelsea on his current contract 

I saw an online article where he claimed to be earning £110k per week. I know some salaries are crazy but £110k for someone who hasn’t played a first team league game for Chelsea is looney. I also saw another article that said he was on £20k per week. This seems closer to the truth considering he’s just been on loan to a series of clubs 

14 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I saw an online article where he claimed to be earning £110k per week. I know some salaries are crazy but £110k for someone who hasn’t played a first team league game for Chelsea is looney. I also saw another article that said he was on £20k per week. This seems closer to the truth considering he’s just been on loan to a series of clubs 

£110k a month would look about right

And it was sourced by a Swansea fan from some court case in 2017 when KP had to disclose his earnings

Archived