Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Boston Red

Massengo The Midfield General

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

Three examples.

1. City kick off the first half away to QPR. The ball gets played back to Liam Walsh. A QPR player starts charging like a headless chicken towards Walsh. Massengo, standing on the half-way line, sees this and quickly runs between the QPR player and Walsh to block him off and protect Walsh. 3 seconds into his Bristol City career, and he is already reading the game perfectly.

2. Away at Hull, Brownhill picks the ball off the back four and Hunt starts to trot forward. Although Hunt is still ten yards inside his own half, Massengo sees there is going to be an overlap and points to Brownhill to play the ball up the right wing. Then Massengo goes over to the right side to provide cover. Brownhill plays the ball up to Weimann coming deep who sets Hunt away down the right, and the own goal is forced. But it was Massengo who saw it all and set the play going and provided cover. 

3. Two minutes later at Hull, in the same position, again Massengo points to Brownhill to play the ball up the right wing to Hunt. Massengo is again providing cover and occupying two Hull defenders. Hunt is man-marked so Brownhill plays it square to Taylor Moore. Massengo is not happy and again points to Taylor Moore to give it to Hunt. Moore finally gives the ball to Hunt who sets Weimann away and Afobe scores. Massengo, having provided cover on the right wing then runs 70 yards to celebrate with Afobe by the left corner flag. Weimann, Hunt and Afobe rightly get the credit for the goals and assists but neither goal would have happened without Massengo.

This kid is mature beyond his years. 

Best pointer I've seen in years!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember back in the day when we lost the LDV to Stoke, they scored from a quickly taken free kick which was taken whilst our experiences pros were dawdling and moaning to the ref? 

When Hull won a free kick on Saturday I noticed that Massengo instantly ran to block the taker from taking a quick one. As a kid, he could have switched off but he's very tuned in.

  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, mozo said:

Remember back in the day when we lost the LDV to Stoke, they scored from a quickly taken free kick which was taken whilst our experiences pros were dawdling and moaning to the ref? 

When Hull won a free kick on Saturday I noticed that Massengo instantly ran to block the taker from taking a quick one. As a kid, he could have switched off but he's very tuned in.

The kick was taken so quickly, in fact, that the ball was still rolling. Where's a fussy referee when you need one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Tinman with hair

And a right foot 😀

49 minutes ago, mozo said:

Remember back in the day when we lost the LDV to Stoke, they scored from a quickly taken free kick which was taken whilst our experiences pros were dawdling and moaning to the ref? 

When Hull won a free kick on Saturday I noticed that Massengo instantly ran to block the taker from taking a quick one. As a kid, he could have switched off but he's very tuned in.

TBF, they took the free kick while the ref was still booking Carey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

And a right foot 😀 TBF, they took the free kick while the ref was still booking Carey. 

I’m still not over that free kick

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alexukhc said:

I’m still not over that free kick

Sorry, didn't mean to bring it back up, I just wanted an example and that's the one that sticks in mind!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mozo said:

Sorry, didn't mean to bring it back up, I just wanted an example and that's the one that sticks in mind!

😭

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, myol'man said:

Tinman with hair

Tinman developed into a classy midfielder but it probably took him several seasons to hone his skills.

This lad is only just 18 ffs.........and what a signing!

In a couple of seasons if he continues to develop he’ll be playing for a top PL outfit - I can see him at Anfield. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that does seem to be happening with out players is their muscle mass is increasing year on year with training. A year or 2 of that for massengo, along with his natural talent and his body growing into an adult, and he would be unplayable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Leading us out

I wish! 

Unfortunately I can’t see it happening.

  • Confused 1
  • Rovers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's face it, Massengo is with us for this season only, he will be off in the summer for at least £25m. Unless, of course, we can make the promised land with him.

Sheer quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, myol'man said:

Tinman with hair

Wow ... so seems quite good then?

 

After all the moaners on here who said he was a massive risk, cos he never lived in bristol and didnt know the culture 

(not aimed at you myol'man)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, soultrader said:

Wow ... so seems quite good then?

 

After all the moaners on here who said he was a massive risk, cos he never lived in bristol and didnt know the culture 

(not aimed at you myol'man)

Monaco is a shithole to live in too, so not surprised he came here! 👀👀👀👀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, i_am_red said:

I’ve not been this excited about a young midfielder since Frankie Artus 

I liked Fartus too.

  • Flames 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Let's face it, Massengo is with us for this season only, he will be off in the summer for at least £25m. Unless, of course, we can make the promised land with him.

Sheer quality.

If we got £25m-ish for Webster then Massengo at 18 years old and with 3 years on his contract left at the end of the season we are surely looking at £35 - 40m?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dolman_Stand said:

If we got £25m-ish for Webster then Massengo at 18 years old and with 3 years on his contract left at the end of the season we are surely looking at £35 - 40m?

I said elsewhere, he will be our first £30m sale.

The only thing that can come between Massengo and greatness is Natch. For God's sake keep him off the Natch...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mozo said:

I said elsewhere, he will be our first £30m sale.

The only thing that can come between Massengo and greatness is Natch. For God's sake keep him off the Natch...

Apparently he already drinks it - with vodka ffs. Silly boy. 

  • Robin 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Apparently he already drinks it - with vodka ffs. Silly boy. 

Yep, with Leroy Lita in Oceana...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Monaco is a shithole to live in too, so not surprised he came here! 👀👀👀👀

Good for cars and boats, less so for pedestrians. I’d rather Clifton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, i_am_red said:

I’ve not been this excited about a young midfielder since Frankie Artus 

Simon Clist mate

  • Robin 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, CiderHider said:

Vodka and natch holy shit brb!

Well, there we go then...vodka and natch - the new lager and lime .   “I’ll have a pint  of Massengo please, mate”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

He has a wife you know ...

I hope her name also begins with F.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alexukhc said:

Simon Clist mate

Remove the S if you want excitement.  And not the one in Simon!

  • Flames 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Some would never be able to find him. 

Half his team mates judging by the passing.  Why bother having a clist if you cannot use him :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The boy is absolute quality and if he stays injury free and lets his feet do the talking then he could be the player who ends up being sold for a record breaking deal. Let’s just hope he doesn’t run his contract down and leave on a free!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Just can’t put my finger on it. 

I expect Tinman gave him a right tongue lashing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bcdc said:

Well, there we go then...vodka and natch - the new lager and lime .   “I’ll have a pint  of Massengo please, mate”

I don't even like vodka (traumatised) but that might succeed in making Natch fit for human consumption

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's got that baseline techincal ability you almost expect with players from the continent these days. What makes him stand out for one so young though is his reading of the game. He seems well ahead of anyone we have at the club already for his age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Robbored said:

Tinman developed into a classy midfielder but it probably took him several seasons to hone his skills.

This lad is only just 18 ffs.........and what a signing!

In a couple of seasons if he continues to develop he’ll be playing for a top PL outfit - I can see him at Anfield. 

Yes, for Chelsea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Porto Red said:

I don't even like vodka (traumatised) but that might succeed in making Natch fit for human consumption

If you haven’t got a tin hat, buddy, now might be the time to get one...😳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Yes, for Chelsea.

Not according to LJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

The boy is absolute quality and if he stays injury free and lets his feet do the talking then he could be the player who ends up being sold for a record breaking deal. Let’s just hope he doesn’t run his contract down and leave on a free!!!!

We'd have him for four seasons if he did so wouldn't be all bad

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, i_am_red said:

I’ve not been this excited about a young midfielder since Frankie Artus 

Haven't heard that name in years! He was tipped to make the first team if I remember correctly. Same generation as Tristan Plummer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love watching him play but I still hope Nagy gets back soon. Sometimes you can burn a young player out or wear their body down. Not saying it will happen just I’d personally protect him a bit when we can. I know we can’t right now and that is fine and also being out of the cup means he gets a full rest this week as does everyone which seems like we need right now

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I love watching him play but I still hope Nagy gets back soon. Sometimes you can burn a young player out or wear their body down. Not saying it will happen just I’d personally protect him a bit when we can. I know we can’t right now and that is fine and also being out of the cup means he gets a full rest this week as does everyone which seems like we need right now

Amazingly, he might become undroppable!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gazred said:

He's got that baseline techincal ability you almost expect with players from the continent these days. What makes him stand out for one so young though is his reading of the game. He seems well ahead of anyone we have at the club already for his age.

The continental game is more technical than the British game and the kids are coached to understand it.

That is changing in England now with the influx of foreign coaches and the young guns like LJ but the players are still a little behind.

In ten years you will need a degree in football to play it at pro level ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, mozo said:

Amazingly, he might become undroppable!

I wouldn’t say drop him just rotate a bit. LJ was reluctant to rotate Pack and Brownhill last season. In an ideal world over 46 games, start Brownhill and Nagy 34 times and Massengo 24. Protect all 3 of them just Massengo a bit more. Basically his first professional season and 46 games at champ pace could wear him down. 

Talent wise he is probably better than both but he can reach more in a couple years. Rather protect him as an asset a bit is all. 20+ starts this season and 30+ next. Work him into it a bit. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...