IGNORED

Sunderland fans loving POMO’s and USP’s

NickJ

3 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I never approved of our appointment of LJ. He was ill prepared at the beginning and only got worse with his confused mind. Made worse by having Ashton as his sidekick. I never cared that he played for us and never used to worry that his dad managed him. I just thought it was a terrible appointment and the football played for the majority of time was awful as he was making it up. I am not wanting to argue the issue, just to say I am far from his fan.

However. I have not followed Sunderland until today. Now I know he has the biggest budget (ever) in L1 and 5000 fans went to Bolton yesterday . But if I look at the table, they are 3rd 2 points off of the top. I can see others have games in hand, but the return of 5 points out of the last 15, and that terrible loss has clearly sent the board over the top. But, wow, that is his team, and even if they do not do automatic , play offs are certain. I just looked at their forum, and no shock, the same issues LJ rear their head again. He has not evolved with age or recognised his weaknesses. However, he has also managed to get Sunderland close, and he does have his coaching ideas and strategy, that has them that very close. They are in play and it is far from a lost cause. On the surface seems a little crazy.  You can only think he has not convinced them he knows what to do to keep them up there after such a battering. No idea.

For all of his lack of ability, LJ is very honest and a dedicated hard working person. He certainly does not steal a living. He is just not very good. 

Who has actually said he has the biggest ever budget in l1? Is it really bigger than when they had Rodwell there on 75k a week? 

5 minutes ago, One Team said:

Ipswich Town?

Had occurred to me! But Ashton's only just appointed a new chap to that role.

I'm not sure why LJ wants to be a manager. He appears to have a decent reputation as a coach but has zero track record of actually leading sides to league success, at any level. 

• Like 1

Their forum is quite a read. 

Lots of “enough was enough” type comments. 

Enough of what? One point off promotion, two points off the title? 

If they were outside the play offs or way off automatic and they had that defeat they perhaps I’d see the point. 

I’m not much of a LJ fan but it seems very harsh. 

• Like 1

What odds Paul Cook takes it on and gets them over the line?

LJ should never have got the job here and should’ve been given the boot much earlier than he was IMO. I’m not surprised to see him fail at Sunderland, even if the term fail is nuanced and it’s harsh given their position. 

His stock is only going one way, unless Ashton offers him a way out at Ipswich in the future. Always thought he’d make an excellent assistant, if his ego let him. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, tin said:

What odds Paul Cook takes it on and gets them over the line?

LJ should never have got the job here and should’ve been given the boot much earlier than he was IMO. I’m not surprised to see him fail at Sunderland, even if the term fail is nuanced.

His stock is only going one way, unless Ashton offers him a way out at Ipswich in the future. 

Cook second favourite at the bookies, Steve Bruce third! ?

Edited by One Team

Just now, Red Exile said:

Had occurred to me! But Ashton's only just appointed a new chap to that role.

I'm not sure why LJ wants to be a manager. He appears to have a decent reputation as a coach but has zero track record of actually leading sides to league success, at any level. 

Would his drive / ambition / ego whatever allow him to be a coach? I’m not so sure. Maybe if it was for one of the very best perhaps but they generally have their own right hand guys.  

19 minutes ago, One Team said:

Yes it was a bad defeat, but they are third FFS! 

Seems a mental decision but I guess they think they need a final push? 

If the new person gets them up does LJ get some of the credit? 

Either way his CV will still read reasonably well despite not having gained a promotion or trophy. 

He’s won a trophy, to be fair

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I never approved of our appointment of LJ. He was ill prepared at the beginning and only got worse with his confused mind. Made worse by having Ashton as his sidekick. I never cared that he played for us and never used to worry that his dad managed him. I just thought it was a terrible appointment and the football played for the majority of time was awful as he was making it up. I am not wanting to argue the issue, just to say I am far from his fan.

However. I have not followed Sunderland until today. Now I know he has the biggest budget (ever) in L1 and 5000 fans went to Bolton yesterday . But if I look at the table, they are 3rd 2 points off of the top. I can see others have games in hand, but the return of 5 points out of the last 15, and that terrible loss has clearly sent the board over the top. But, wow, that is his team, and even if they do not do automatic , play offs are certain. I just looked at their forum, and no shock, the same issues LJ rear their head again. He has not evolved with age or recognised his weaknesses. However, he has also managed to get Sunderland close, and he does have his coaching ideas and strategy, that has them that very close. They are in play and it is far from a lost cause. On the surface seems a little crazy.  You can only think he has not convinced them he knows what to do to keep them up there after such a battering. No idea.

For all of his lack of ability, LJ is very honest and a dedicated hard working person. He certainly does not steal a living. He is just not very good

I'm interested to hear the thinking behind some of these views? Some pretty bold criticism in there - what makes you think he was THAT bad/incompetent? (I'm not contesting you, just interested to hear the explanation)

8 minutes ago, One Team said:

If they were outside the play offs or way off automatic and they had that defeat they perhaps I’d see the point. 

Well they've won 1 in 5 and already shipped 5 goals at Rotherham and 4 at Portsmouth this season...I would imagine they'd be looking at streaky Lee and think 'here he goes again' and have pulled the plug before they're on a club record losing streak. LJ has form when it comes to falling out of contention...and no form at all when it comes to seeing the job through. They've got a decent squad. They should be expecting promotion.

I was surprised he was appointed in the first place.

Just now, Red Exile said:

Well they've won 1 in 5 and already shipped 5 goals at Rotherham and 4 at Portsmouth this season...I would imagine they'd be looking at streaky Lee and think 'here he goes again' and have pulled the plug before they're on a club record losing streak. LJ has form when it comes to falling out of contention...and no form at all when it comes to seeing the job through. They've got a decent squad. They should be expecting promotion.

I was surprised he was appointed in the first place.

Good points mate. ?

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

I said when he got the job he was the nightmare appointment. At least that particular nightmare is over now. He survived losing 4-0 at Pompey and 5-1 at Rotherham this season but 6-0 at Derby was an embarrassment too far.

As you will be a bit more in the know, except for the fact they lost to Bolton 6-0 & not Derby! Did Sunderland spend a lot in the summer? Or big free signings? Generally interested. COYR 

3 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

As you will be a bit more in the know, except for the fact they lost to Bolton 6-0 & not Derby! Did Sunderland spend a lot in the summer? Or big free signings? Generally interested. COYR 

Yes Bolton of course, my mind's racing. There weren't any big fees as I recall but expensive Bosmans and loans. I actually said early on that surely even Johnson couldn't fail to win promotion with the squad that had been put together. But this month has seen additions which make ours the best group of players in League One. A Championship centre-half and two £10,000,000 rated midfielders either permanent or on loan. Any half competent manager/head coach should guide us over the line. As one of your fans has written the all too familiar Johnson signs were there that he would fall short again. We'll just have to see if we finally get it right this time. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I'm interested to hear the thinking behind some of these views? Some pretty bold criticism in there - what makes you think he was THAT bad/incompetent? (I'm not contesting you, just interested to hear the explanation)

I'm sure @billywedlock can explain what he meant but for what it's worth LJ's weaknesses were set out time and again by the sceptics (like me!) whilst he was here.

My take would be that he got the job because he was SL's vanity project...SL would pick a winner. LJ had no track record of achieving the promotion we were told was the club's ambition.  His best sides seemed to be picked by force of circumstance, when he had choices to make he often made the wrong ones. He seemed incapable of arresting losing streaks, paralysed on the sidelines watching the game go by. He loved another 'club in the bag' but the clubs never seemed to make a set. He had resources undreamed of by any City manager in my 50 years supporting the club...and squandered them. In my opinion, which I appreciate can be contested, he left us in a worse place than he found us...and we are suffering the consequences. Should never have been appointed. Not a bad man, I liked him as a player, and I felt for him at times, out of his depth. Thankfully it's in the past.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

If at any point in his career Lee Johnson works under Pep, give me a shout and I’ll have 10 bottles of Weston’s Vintage send over to you. 

The only place that’ll happen is in LJ’s mind. 

Does it count if he's on the catering staff at the training ground, or part of the cleaning crew?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

Seems harsh to me, but it's Sunderland so I'm not surprised.

Sunderland is such a weird job for a manager to take; if you get promoted then you won't get much credit as it's "expected" and if you don't get promotion then you're branded a failure.

I’d imagine anyone getting them up would get treated pretty well up there, even if it’s more expected than at most other places. They are absolutely desperate to get out of League 1. 

1 hour ago, steveybadger said:

Usually I’m all in favour of giving manager’s time, and the timing here does seem odd. However something doesn’t seem quite right there (a team In the top 3 losing 6-0 to modest opposition) and given LJ’s propensity for streaky results, maybe a new manager bounce might actually give them the push they need?

A bit like when we lost 6-0 at Ipswich when thundering towards possible promotion under Gary Johnson - I loved GJ’s comment after that one - “It was a bad day at the office, but we’ll redecorate the office and we’ll be back” ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...

32 minutes ago, One Team said:

I think they were a few points clear at the top not long ago and check out the numbers of games in hand some of the teams below have. 

Quite a few on their forum were remarking on the record of his teams imploding towards the sharp end of the season, so maybe that was on their board’s mind too.  We’re very well acquainted with his record on that score!.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

A bit like when we lost 6-0 at Ipswich when thundering towards possible promotion under Gary Johnson - I loved GJ’s comment after that one - “It was a bad day at the office, but we’ll redecorate the office and we’ll be back” ...

Yep had forgotten that, though in his case it was a bad day at the office.

• Like 1