IGNORED

Dean Holden Post Match

Red Army 75

3 minutes ago, Swede said:

Exactly this. He is tactically clueless.

Riley Towler has been in the squad for several weeks and only plays because reluctant left back Mariappa is total dogs in that position. Nothing of a master stroke at all.

How Diedhiou plays is beyond me.

He hasn't signed a contract. Can't trap wind and his tracking back is so woefull

34 year old right sided centre backs tend to be

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

No, not true.  The difference now is that we have a very rich owner and a lot of good young players, really good in some cases, and therefore something to build on for the future.  The problem is in the present, but don’t kid yourself that the club is in a perilous state.  What we need now is leadership, which seems to be sadly lacking.  The present structure clearly is not working, and what we need is a manager, but if we can get the club back up and running again, there is a lot to build on.

A rich owner that won’t take the necessary risks to build a competitive championship club. You’d be crazy not to consider the risk of relegation next season.

Some of our best performers are basically gone already in Mawson and Fam. Paterson and Weimann out of contract. Kalas and Nagy going into their last 12 month(have options I think). 

I don’t know if it is likely but we will certainly be missing a lot of experience that we have this season. I think it is fine saying we have some good prospects coming through but they are only as good as the guy calling the shots. For example, we have a lot of high energy players who are comfortable on the ball especially in defence and midfield and forwards who aren’t pacy. Yet we play a defensive counter attack style and put our more ball playing defenders and midfielders in defensive situations which most are not necessarily the best at. This team should be better but every season is a wasteand telling prospective players not to come

33 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

One thing I never get is how people always say things like he is a good man, do they know him? he might be a horrible man away from the public eye 

Having met him a few times and spoken at length with him about all manner of things, I can categorically state he is bloody top bloke.  He doesn’t do things for effect, he’s straight up.

He looked and sounded gutted tonight.  This was a huge opportunity for him.  He won’t have earned loads throughout a journeyman career, has a family....and a strong family unit by the seems of it, so if he is sacked he will be like many others in football....wondering where his next gig will be.

There’s a human side to this.

But that also can’t get in the way of tough football decisions either.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not in numbers or games missed comparable to us they don't.

Agree with varied parts of your post but that section- not comparable to us. Even recalled loanees seemed to have got injured- and though it's not necessarily an excuse, when you do have injuries you have to restructure the team a bit and you lose that little more cohesion- and it's cumulative.

Mawson and Kalas could have been a fine partnership...

DaSilva and Paterson could have been a passable left side.

Hunt and Weimann  could have been a reasonable right side.

Martin and Weimann- for some games- could have been a useful partnership.

Could go on...sure there are many more examples.

I take it, then, you're  familiar with the injury situation across all 23 other championship teams??

13 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I take it, then, you're  familiar with the injury situation across all 23 other championship teams??

I look around- if it was the PL you would probably get a lot more coverage, but from what I can see first team, and first reserve players- our list is farcical.

To date, I make it 245 matchdays missed in the League- largely due to injuries, with some Covid on top. If any are that comparable, let alone in excess I'd be surprised...

Put it this way, in the Times at least twice they've been making a big thing of Liverpool's injuries missed per game- ours outstrips theirs and no mistake. Their list would appear to be the worst in the top flight. I just look at other sides and think their 1st XI don't seem to be missing as much as ours...in the Championship I mean.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Ah Ipswich was Taylor Moore! Just remembered!

That was when he didn’t put his head between the ball and their strikers foot which resulted in a goal.

He then entered the ‘twilight zone’ joining the likes of Watkins et al.

2 minutes ago, wittydisplayname said:

Bbc Bristol have posted their interview clips on twitter, Holden said “this is a transitional season for the club” that’s not the message we were getting last summer! 

Ashton and Holden do seem to be incapable of putting out consistent messages.

But should the follow up question not be transition from where to where? Transition suggests a known destination. So what is it? At this rate we could transition to League 1.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Having met him a few times and spoken at length with him about all manner of things, I can categorically state he is bloody top bloke.  He doesn’t do things for effect, he’s straight up.

He looked and sounded gutted tonight.  This was a huge opportunity for him.  He won’t have earned loads throughout a journeyman career, has a family....and a strong family unit by the seems of it, so if he is sacked he will be like many others in football....wondering where his next gig will be.

But that also can’t get in the way of tough football decisions either.

Completely agree.

It’s up to SL & MA to do the decent thing now and put him out of his misery for his own well-being. Despite whatever Dean might think.

As he’s on a rolling contract it will always cost 12 months compensation and no one can say he hasn’t earned that being thrown in out of his depth with inadequate support.

4 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

Completely agree.

It’s up to SL & MA to do the decent thing now and put him out of his misery for his own well-being. Despite whatever Dean might think.

As he’s on a rolling contract it will always cost 12 months compensation and no one can say he hasn’t earned that being thrown in out of his depth with inadequate support.

It doesn’t work like that - The rolling contract i believe would kick in again in August

14 minutes ago, wittydisplayname said:

Bbc Bristol have posted their interview clips on twitter, Holden said “this is a transitional season for the club” that’s not the message we were getting last summer! 

If this is a transitional season, I dread to think what next season is with about 10 of our first team squad out of contract

6 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

Completely agree.

I'm led to believe that is not how a rolling contract works. He would be payed the remainder of his twelve months.

18 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

All this “we will work harder” is total BS, top players and teams always work hard, that should be a given

It does rather imply they are not working hard enough at the moment. I'd suggest working smarter but I don't see any evidence that we have smart coaches.

3 minutes ago, wittydisplayname said:

Why on earth would it be a transitional season? Have we gone back some years?

When we were looking for a new coach in the Summer, Bristol City had never been more attractive on and off the field for a quality coaching set up to take us further. Everything is in place off the field, we were then promised a ‘breath of fresh air’ by the man in charge of this ‘project’.

Why does it suddenly feel like 2011/2012 again under McInnes talking about transitional football and building the club? Everything is in place for Holden and Ashton to deliver and they’re not doing it, not by a long way.

Pressure is on and this talk of a transitional season is well, bollocks.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don't disagree with you post Dave but the reality of life is that there's a 'human side' in everyone's life experience. Doesn't amount to a get out card for being rubbish at your job. The only reason any of us know who Dean Holden is, or his back story, is because he's managing Bristol City. 

That Dean Holden isn't a very good manager at Championship level is no surprise. That he's not going to get us into the top 6...which is what we were told he was appointed to do...is also no surprise.

He needs to go.

There is absolutely no defence for todays performance and indeed performances throughout the season have been totally unacceptable

from a team that was supposedly in with a shout of getting in the playoffs. The players should be ashamed of themselves for performing

the way they have and they appear to have thrown Dean under the bus.  However we all know it is always the manager that pays the price,

so it will be no great surprise if he does get the push.

However i would add rhe following to give it a bit of perspective - We are 7 points off the playoffs but heading in the wrong direction but we are 

only 1 point behind Cardiff who are in 7th position. Will the five managers of the teams above us get sacked - i doubt it.

4 minutes ago, Rob k said:

It doesn’t work like that - The rolling contract i believe would kick in again in August

Nope, a rolling 12 month contract is exactly that - it will always be 12 month form the date of termination, standard contract terms in a rolling agreement 

5 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I don't disagree with you post Dave but the reality of life is that there's a 'human side' in everyone's life experience. Doesn't amount to a get out card for being rubbish at your job. The only reason any of us know who Dean Holden is, or his back story, is because he's managing Bristol City. 

That Dean Holden isn't a very good manager at Championship level is no surprise. That he's not going to get us into the top 6...which is what we were told he was appointed to do...is also no surprise.

He needs to go.

He never hit high levels as a player either... Bristol city is not an easy job, He should never of been given the job neither should he of been still at the club at the time. Yes he does need to go but not just him!!!

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

That would just be a 12 month contract, not a rolling 12 month contract. 

I shall have to Google it, my first impression was as you say, but somebody on here posted a googled definition that described it as a 12 month contract that automatically renews unless opted out of by either party.

22 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

A rich owner that won’t take the necessary risks to build a competitive championship club. You’d be crazy not to consider the risk of relegation next season.

Some of our best performers are basically gone already in Mawson and Fam. Paterson and Weimann out of contract. Kalas and Nagy going into their last 12 month(have options I think). 

I don’t know if it is likely but we will certainly be missing a lot of experience that we have this season. I think it is fine saying we have some good prospects coming through but they are only as good as the guy calling the shots. For example, we have a lot of high energy players who are comfortable on the ball especially in defence and midfield and forwards who aren’t pacy. Yet we play a defensive counter attack style and put our more ball playing defenders and midfielders in defensive situations which most are not necessarily the best at. This team should be better but every season is a wasteand telling prospective players not to come

Can he put much more in under FFP- can the club expend much more under FFP? Has to be considered a grey area.

I'm hoping we will tap into the free agent market- will be a lot of good ones out of contract this summer.

Archived