IGNORED

Martin out for 12 weeks . . .

AshtonRobin21

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

according to Holden - felt it during some set piece work at the end of a session

Another strange one - end of the session ? So not a case of not stretched / warmed up

Usually indicates more towards fatigue - which considering as you say he’s played little recently is strange

Something not right 

As you say, something not right.  'Felt it at the end of a session' implies tweak, rest it for three days now, suddenly perhaps out for yonks.  Either a bit more than 'felt something' or misinformation.  Twinges do not requuire months of rehab.  Wish they would just be honest with us, while I am on the subject, what TF IS going on with Walsh?  Cannot be an injury.

52 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I would agree we aren't playing well but if you are suggesting the players aren't giving their all I can't agree with that. The problem is our players are putting their bodies on the line far more than they should be doing because we spend so much time in a "typical" game defending for our lives. That alone tells you that our lads put in a shift.......just not in the most effective way!!

I agree, we aren't playing badly, just nowhere near the level we all know they can do. Years gone by you'd see them busting a gut to get all over the pitch, presently we're sitting back more and trying to counter.

Busting a gut, is what is different compared to previous seasons, and we've not had the injuries we've had this season in previous years.

Whilst on the subject of not playing badly, the best comparison I can think of is Man Utd in recent years before Fernandes was signed - everyone knew what the team could do, but it wasn't consistent, or pretty. He has come in and sparked the side to life. We're missing our spark.

51 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I said it early on when Williams, Walsh and others were out early in the season. There is definitely a good chance it's something we do wrong. Whatever that is I don't know. Some people said that is a ridiculous opinion and it is just bad luck. But I've always thought teams that get ridiculous amounts of injuries have probably been doing something wrong for that to happen. 

Just like Arsenal years ago under Wenger. The injury problems they had back then was ridiculous. I think they had the fitness guy we have now!

That's the concerning thing!!

12 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

As you say, something not right.  'Felt it at the end of a session' implies tweak, rest it for three days now, suddenly perhaps out for yonks.  Either a bit more than 'felt something' or misinformation.  Twinges do not requuire months of rehab.  Wish they would just be honest with us, while I am on the subject, what TF IS going on with Walsh?  Cannot be an injury.

It’s also yet another injury at the ‘end’ of a training session. That must be the third or fourth serious injury sustained at the end of a session. Working them too hard?

3 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

Just flicked up on Sky Sports News that Russell Martin at MK Dons said a Championship side bid for Cameron Jerome on deadline day.

I would not be surprised in light of this news if this was us.

Another one, like Wells and like Lansbury that would have been fantastic 5 years ago but way too late now - though that might be a bit harsh on Lansbury as he hasnt kicked a ball yet, but he hasnt kicked one much for the last few years

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

according to Holden - felt it during some set piece work at the end of a session

Another strange one - end of the session ? So not a case of not stretched / warmed up

Usually indicates more towards fatigue - which considering as you say he’s played little recently is strange

Something not right 

Weimann was end of the game too wasn't it?

Over worked in training? Maybe too much for the amount of games they're expected to play. Recovery sessions not doing their job?

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Five minutes here and there is what we have been doing in the main. Yes, Edwards started the other evening but my point is once we have enough points get Bell, Towler and Pearson involved. You only need to find ONE player from that lot. A gamble worth taking once we are safe.

Enough points? Safe?

We're 3 points from the playoffs? I don't know why anyone seriously thinks we might get relegated

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

Another one, like Wells and like Lansbury that would have been fantastic 5 years ago but way too late now - though that might be a bit harsh on Lansbury as he hasnt kicked a ball yet, but he hasnt kicked one much for the last few years

5 years ago?

If we were going down that route then we should have kept our side from 5 years ago (with a few additions).

Bentley

Ayling, Flint, D.Williams

Hunt, Smith, Pack, Freeman, Bryan

Kodjia, Diedhiou

Wonder where that side would finish this season?!

Obviously a few have wanted to leave and been sold for good money (Ayling, Smith, Freeman aside), but worth a whimsical pre-friday beers ponder!!

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Enough points? Safe?

We're 3 points from the playoffs? I don't know why anyone seriously thinks we might get relegated

I think there is more chance of us going down than going up the way we are playing and with the injury crisis.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I said it early on when Williams, Walsh and others were out early in the season. There is definitely a good chance it's something we do wrong. Whatever that is I don't know. Some people said that is a ridiculous opinion and it is just bad luck. But I've always thought teams that get ridiculous amounts of injuries have probably been doing something wrong for that to happen. 

Just like Arsenal years ago under Wenger. The injury problems they had back then was ridiculous. I think they had the fitness guy we have now!

And as you probably know, just like at Arsenal (and West Ham prior to that) look who was involved

13 minutes ago, markcarter said:

We have got 27 points from our last 23 matches.  Or 15 points from our last 13 matches if you prefer a shorter recent history. That form is the equivalent of 54 points for a whole season.  Usually that doesn’t get you relegated, but it did for Peterborough once.  And a slight further drop off in form (surely possible as we’re generally pretty ?), CLEARLY puts us in danger, especially with teams around the drop picking up form and making the drop line total likely to increase.  It’s not probable, but it is eminently possible and anyone who thinks it isn’t is sleep-walking.

Yea but the season's going to be cancelled so why you worried?

36 minutes ago, markcarter said:

?, rambling, incoherent, nonsense, meaningless, cliche-laden, nothing update from Open & Honest Holden to the injury catastrophe: 

As a football club we're looking into everything to improve. From the way we coach the players to recovery, to the way we travel to away games. We're looking into everything. To keep striving to improve. That's the culture and the environment that we've created at this football club. We always search for answers to improve. And we speak to people far afield, away from football, from different sports, business, to keep trying to improve. And you're right: we can't shy away from the injury record this season. It's one department amongst other departments, as I say there, that we're looking to improve on. There's certainly no results or no answers on why we've picked up these injuries. That's ongoing. It's important that we take the right amount of time to get the right ansers from it. Otherwise what's the point in doing it. As I say, we can't shy away. We can't bury it under the carpet, it's not what we do. We're honest and we look at everything and think 'how can we improve'. There's no blame culture. How can we improve and find solutions to get better. And that will always be the way.

I have read that 3 times and can't see why anyone would complain about it. 

The conspiracy theorists on here are asking for "an independent review" and from this you can see that the club have not been insular, but have asked for help from outside the club. 

If he said "ah well, we are happy that everything we are doing is right and it's clearly down to a run of bad luck, so we just ignore it". Then you might have reason to complain.

Clearly you want him to say something that fits your view of the situation, but I can't see what that might be other than "I resign".

Mind you, you would probably complain then because he was deserting a sinking ship or something.

This sound like a staple House of Commons diversion tactics "we are going to hold an enquiry into it" in other words it will take months and months to look into it and most people would have forgot about it by then!
www.otibclothing.co.uk

As a football club we're looking into everything to improve. From the way we coach the players to recovery, to the way we travel to away games. We're looking into everything. To keep striving to improve. That's the culture and the environment that we've created at this football club. We always search for answers to improve. And we speak to people far afield, away from football, from different sports, business, to keep trying to improve. And you're right: we can't shy away from the injury record this season. It's one department amongst other departments, as I say there, that we're looking to improve on. There's certainly no results or no answers on why we've picked up these injuries. That's ongoing. It's important that we take the right amount of time to get the right ansers from it. Otherwise what's the point in doing it. As I say, we can't shy away. We can't bury it under the carpet, it's not what we do. We're honest and we look at everything and think 'how can we improve'. There's no blame culture. How can we improve and find solutions to get better. And that will always be the way.

57 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Enough points? Safe?

Quite right, it is crazy talk. All season we have been ravaged by injuries, covid etc and we still haven't been lower than 10th. With players returning to the fray it is nonsensical to think we're going to be dragged into a relegation battle. I can understand people lacking faith that we'll make 6th place, but relegated really???

22 minutes ago, Real Red said:

This sound like a staple House of Commons diversion tactics "we are going to hold an enquiry into it" in other words it will take months and months to look into it and most people would have forgot about it by then!
www.otibclothing.co.uk

I read a it a slightly different way. It sounds to me what people say when they know there is a problem but are watching their wording to avoid the risk of a wrongful dismissal lawsuit. I don't really believe Holden, nor anyone else at the club, is going to be happy with 15 injuries or dismiss it as a coincidence. It means the club are paying a fortune to players who aren't on the pitch, the manager is underperforming and the club are underperforming. 

But clearly, if the club openly blame someone on the medical team and publicly undermine their chances of getting another job, that could get very messy if they could not prove what has gone wrong in a court of law. Hence a bland, waffely statement about wanting to improve but avoid blaming anyone.

The proof will be in the pudding but that statement makes me expect departures of changes by the end of the season. 

I've no doubt Holden is even more annoyed than the fans and would have plenty that he'd like to say, but he isn't going to chuck anybody under the bus in public.

As has been mentioned, you can bet the name of Andy Rolls has come up in the conversations between Holden and Allardyce. given the latter also has experience of working with him.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Enough points? Safe?

I've said plenty of times we won't get relegated but you also have to be professional and get the points on the board before you start chucking kids in. 3 points from the play offs. Yes, but we would get obliterated if we were to make them. No doubt about that whatsoever.

1 hour ago, markcarter said:

?, rambling, incoherent, nonsense, meaningless, cliche-laden, nothing update from Open & Honest Holden to the injury catastrophe: 

Holden is the football Manager not the Sports Scientist. The person in charge of that Department SHOULD be answering the question but strangely it’s Holden who has to face the music instead, not the bloke who has presided over the same issue at other clubs?

If you do some digging on the net there is one common factor with Andy Rolls.

Both at West Ham and Arsenal these clubs had horrific injury lists while he was there.

These are quotes from articles on the net during his time at these clubs.

West Ham (2009 - 2014)

"Rolls had overseen a department at West Ham that has been besieged by injury problems"

Arsenal (2014 - 2018)

"This isn’t something that’s happened overnight. Arsenal have been trying to deal with their injury problems since 2014 and, as you’ll see, they’ve steadily been succeeding. On average over the last five seasons, according to Cute Injury, Arsenal have had 30 injuries per campaign. Last season, Arsenal suffered 32 injuries. The season before that, 26, and during the 2014/15 campaign it was a whopping 35."

Seriously if you were to employ a leading figure in your medical Department then you would do your homework before doing so. A quick google search on him and you get the picture - He's not very good.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Holden is the football Manager not the Sports Scientist. The person in charge of that Department SHOULD be answering the question but strangely it’s Holden who has to face the music instead, not the bloke who has presided over the same issue at other clubs?

I thought he was Head Coach?

3 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

5 years ago?

If we were going down that route then we should have kept our side from 5 years ago (with a few additions).

Bentley

Ayling, Flint, D.Williams

Hunt, Smith, Pack, Freeman, Bryan

Kodjia, Diedhiou

Wonder where that side would finish this season?!

Obviously a few have wanted to leave and been sold for good money (Ayling, Smith, Freeman aside), but worth a whimsical pre-friday beers ponder!!

Agree it's a nice whimsical mid-Friday beer ponder. I like that snapshot once we'd sold Kodjia and replaced him with Bobby Reid. Could throw in Kelly for Williams. As an optimist it makes me ponder how far we've come on the pitch. Has progress kept up with the wage bill?

17 minutes ago, richyy66 said:

Both at West Ham and Arsenal these clubs had horrific injury lists while he was there.

West Ham (2009 - 2014)

"Rolls had overseen a department at West Ham that has been besieged by injury problems"

Arsenal (2014 - 2018)

"This isn’t something that’s happened overnight. Arsenal have been trying to deal with their injury problems since 2014 and, as you’ll see, they’ve steadily been succeeding. On average over the last five seasons, according to Cute Injury, Arsenal have had 30 injuries per campaign. Last season, Arsenal suffered 32 injuries. The season before that, 26, and during the 2014/15 campaign it was a whopping 35."

Seriously if you were to employ a leading figure in your medical Department then you would do your homework before doing so. A quick google search on him and you get the picture - He's not very good.

But, amusingly I found this:

13 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I thought he was Head Coach?

Fine if semantics mean that much to you. He also picks the team, decides on the formation, works out the shape we will line up with and if Ashton is to believed has the final say on transfers. So basically a Head Coach who is effectively the Manager. I can quite confidently say he ISN’T the Performance Manager, the Club Doctor, Chief Physiotherapist or Head Sports Scientist and therefore should not be getting pushed in front of the bus to explain the clubs atrocious injury and rehabilitation record.

26 minutes ago, richyy66 said:

West Ham (2009 - 2014)

Arsenal (2014 - 2018)

I bet the players think he’s a wonderful human being as thousands of pounds of appearance bonuses disappear down the drain??

Archived