IGNORED

Tonights ref

GTFABM

Just now, GTFABM said:

I am not for one second blaming him entirely for tonights result. But honestly, how bad was he. Even the decisions he got right were wrong because there were advantages to be played. Truly abysmal display.

I feel that taken in isolation the referee is not why we lost tonight.

However, persistent foul play and cheating by Swansea was largely allowed to go on with only light punishment. 

How they didn’t end up with all 10 outfielders on yellows I’ll never know.

1 minute ago, grifty said:

I think he was bad for both teams. He fell for the easy falling over with no contact many times. God I miss the Euros where refs ignored that.

Agreed. First couple of games they were letting things go, it had to be meaningful contact for them to blow for a foul. Judging by tonight that isn't going to last long and they are going to revert to type.

Not sure ? what this ref was playing at Swansea were allowed to get away with tackles that would have been seen in an all star wrestling ring I lost count of the number of times Martin and Wiemman were dragged down and as for the shoulder charge off the ball outrageous!!! Talk to a swans fan as I left the ground he also commented on how bad he was !

2 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Worrying that in a game that didn’t really have a serious foul he dished out ten yellow cards!

And yet that was one of the few things he got right.

At least 3 of the Swansea bookings were for cynical fouls to prevent a break which are yellow cards all day long.

Another was for time wasting, just minutes after the same player had been warned about time wasting.

2 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Worrying that in a game that didn’t really have a serious foul he dished out ten yellow cards!

Yeah! Surely he must get appraised for his performance & would like to be a fly on the wall of his appraisal after that.

Felt like he got so much wrong all game.

Hopeless, not the reason we lost but really naive, bought the soft stuff but fails to see or appreciate some of the darker arts, Swansea holding players on the floor after a challenge, Wiemann got booked reacting to one, Hands in Martin’s head to stop him jumping, lots and lots of shirt pulling. Never a 10 booking game.

we always seem to get shit refs on the live sky games, tonight’s clown was just another to that list.

IMO in the first half he was not that bad, but in the second he gifted them some freekicks and ignored some clear fouls on our players, so I disagree with ''for both teams''.  Shame because we would have had more chances with more freekicks, especially after the changes in the 2nd half.

It happens...

Would like, even if just a test, to see the rugby stop the clock approach introduced, to reduce  endless time wasting. He added 2 1/2 mins for stoppages in the 2nd half (assuming it’s still 30 seconds for a substitution), but they were delaying everything, endlessly. 

Overall thought he was terrible, but in terms of decisions, agree with most that he was impartially terrible and they broadly evened out. 

14 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

I am not for one second blaming him entirely for tonights result. But honestly, how bad was he. Even the decisions he got right were wrong because there were advantages to be played. Truly abysmal display.

Eltringham. Only better ( if thats the word ) by ‘Sir Keith’. 
He actually started ok to be fair but wow, what a shambles. 
Thought he set a benchmark with the early 2nd half yellow for time wasting, then conveniently forgot to carry on. 

He’s consistently one of the worst Championship refs, Keith Stroud gets stick but Eltringham is a total clown.

As for the post about not a serious foul, Bidwell and Latibeaudiere were fouling all night & loads was going on off the ball, holding Weimann & Martin down, pulling them back.

Both could easily have been sent off for repeated misconduct.

What would be good to allow managers to be able to comment publicly about the referees performance without being fined. This would help highlight how poor the the standard of refereeing in the championship is the referees seem to be beyond criticism and yet continue to ruin our beloved game. Awarding free kicks for Oscar winning performances instead of genuine goals such a shame 

6 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

What would be good to allow managers to be able to comment publicly about the referees performance without being fined. This would help highlight how poor the the standard of refereeing in the championship is the referees seem to be beyond criticism and yet continue to ruin our beloved game. Awarding free kicks for Oscar winning performances instead of genuine goals such a shame 

I'd say the blame for that lies with the players (and rules) rather than the ref. The sooner players start getting banned for diving the better. 

Geoff Eltringham was truly dreadful. A MK 2 Trevour Kettle. From memory he booked six Swansea players many of whom rolled around time wasting. Martin and Massengo were persistently fouled all game and Martin was elbowed off the ball in the centre circle……..neither linesman saw it.

I can understand why Colin rants and raves about officials when their mistakes cost his team points - although that wasn’t the case tonight.

I thought City played some nice stuff particularly in the 45 and really deserved at least a draw.

Massengo was awesome and my MoM by quite a margin. He’s beefed up and looked really classy tonight.

Thought the ref was ok for 20 mins but once he realised he had a yellow card in his pocket he then lost the plot 

I would say there were 3-4 genuine yellow card fouls and the time wasting one was long overdue 

Couldn’t believe he booked Weimann and gave a free kick after he’d been grabbed around the neck and pulled back, on top of that it was probably the 3rd time their defensive had body checked/blocked him off and nowhere near the ball 

Probably rate the ref a 5 on his performance as he probably realised he was on TV and his parents were watching ?

6 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Thought the ref was ok for 20 mins but once he realised he had a yellow card in his pocket he then lost the plot 

I would say there were 3-4 genuine yellow card fouls and the time wasting one was long overdue 

Couldn’t believe he booked Weimann and gave a free kick after he’d been grabbed around the neck and pulled back, on top of that it was probably the 3rd time their defensive had body checked/blocked him off and nowhere near the ball 

Probably rate the ref a 5 on his performance as he probably realised he was on TV and his parents were watching ?

Probably had “hello mum” on his cards

He was dogshit. I assume the EFL is applying the PGMOL’s lighter touch but wouldn’t know it from tonight. Gave some soft as shit stuff yet had no consistency with it and couldn’t wait to get a card out. I’ll be honest, I don’t think he was especially bad for one side or the other, just didn’t manage the game at all well

Most bizarre was booking Bidwell for time wasting quite early and then just letting Laird on the other side get away with it.

Looked to me as if most of the cautions were justified to be fair. Swansea clearly commiting deliberate fouls every time  we looked dangerous.  With so many players on a yellow, I felt sure that we would see a red before the end 

Whether you feel that the ref was good or bad, he was equally as good or bad to both teams.

Also, the ref's performance had no bearing on the result.  Whilst it was nice to see some effort for a change, we created very little again and clearly need a striker and a couple of decent full backs along with some midfield creativity.

On a more positive note, Pring and Scott played well again and Massengo put in one hell if a shift.

Based on 4 points from the first 4 games, it looks like being a tough season with the top half of the table seeming like a pipe dream.

Ref was horrendous but don't think he affected the result at all. Some strange yellows for both teams.

However I do sometimes feel sorry for refs when they get no help from linesman. The guy Lansdown side was too busy sorting out his hair and winding up the crowd to keep up with play.

Archived