IGNORED

Monkey off our backs or papering over the cracks?

Shtanley

You often end a run like this, a scrappy result.  It does feel like we can’t get excited yet….not a performance to say “we’ve turned the corner”.

On the flip a team who say get 5 or 6 clean sheets in succession often concede 3 or 4 when that run breaks.

• Like 3

It was scrappy.

Barnsley had better shape, but we still created chances and could’ve had 3.

I don’t know, I understand who we are and hope to finish between 12-15. 

As long as we stay up this year I would be happy.

I didn’t expect us to play great football or dominate teams this year.

I expect it will take a couple of transfer windows (assuming we have funds!) to begin to sort this out.

I think it’s going to become quite boring listening to the same narrative of whether we win, lose or draw, “but we’re not very good are we?”

No shit, I ******* know that.

Heres another newsflash, due to the cluster **** created by Steve and Mark, it ain’t going to be very good for a while and I don’t believe another coach somehow polishes the turd.

Lets just dig in, support the team and just try to manufacture some points here and there, like we have done to this point.

Edited by 054123
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

You often end a run like this, a scrappy result.  It does feel like we can’t get excited yet….not a performance to say “we’ve turned the corner”.

On the flip a team who say get 5 or 6 clean sheets in succession often concede 3 or 4 when that run breaks.

I've taken some time to let the win settle in, and have reflected on it today.

Honestly it just reminds me ever so much of the Huddersfield home game towards the end of Holden's time, in January 2021.

We'd lost 5 of the previous 7, including losses to Rotherham, Luton, and the limp 2-0 away loss to Norwich. 

Huddersfield laid siege to our goal, 27 shots to our 4. xG of 2.6 to our 0.5. It was a brutal watch and we won thanks to a quickfire first half brace from our striker (Diedhiou in that case). Huddersfield hit the woodwork several times, and we rode our luck, just as we did yesterday. At the time there was jubilation from some, and claims of a dramatic corner being turned. I counseled caution and restraint, as the win had been very poor.

We then lost our next 5 games, and Holden went.

I get that I'm being a slight party-pooper in this post, and I am not saying that I think or hope we will repeat that 5 game streak. I'm not even saying the games themselves were similar. However the context, the reactions, and the general themes are similar. Hence I feel there are more cracks being papered than corners turned.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Honestly it just reminds me ever so much of the Huddersfield home game towards the end of Holden's time, in January 2021.

We'd lost 5 of the previous 7, including losses to Rotherham, Luton, and the limp 2-0 away loss to Norwich. 

Huddersfield laid siege to our goal, 27 shots to our 4. xG of 2.6 to our 0.5. It was a brutal watch and we won thanks to a quickfire first half brace from our striker (Diedhiou in that case). Huddersfield hit the woodwork several times, and we rode our luck, just as we did yesterday. At the time there was jubilation from some, and claims of a dramatic corner being turned. I counseled caution and restraint, as the win had been very poor.

I get that I'm being a slight party-pooper in this post, and I am not saying that I think or hope we will repeat that 5 game streak. I'm not even saying the games themselves were similar. However the context, the reactions, and the general themes are similar. Hence I feel there are more cracks being papered than corners turned.

It’s not the same situation, we’d lost two games against two of the three best teams in the league and should have beaten Forest had we not suffered from our psychological issues at home. I don’t expect another losing run for a while now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shtanley said:

A bit of both you'd probably all say, like myself. 

@petehintonand @Davefevs join me this time around.

LISTEN HERE

I would like to think positively and  see at it is a massive monkey off of our back.I thought I was a pessimist until I started posting on here Let's enjoy the win at least until tomorrow night. Then a defeat will bring the usual Pearson out brigade back on the forum. They are noticeably absent as we won.

9 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

At the time there was jubilation from some, and claims of a dramatic corner being turned. I counseled caution and restraint, as the win had been very poor.

Kalas was furious and said something like we can't go on playing like this. The kind of thing the manager should have been saying.

At least Nige was honest about our performance. You can't fix a problem if you don't admit you have one.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

That win against Huddersfield was our last home win before the Barnsley game. Let's hope for a convincing home win soon.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 054123 said:

It was scrappy.

Barnsley had better shape, but we still created chances and could’ve had 3.

I don’t know, I understand who we are and hope to finish between 12-15. 

As long as we stay up this year I would be happy.

I didn’t expect us to play great football or dominate teams this year.

I expect it will take a couple of transfer windows (assuming we have funds!) to begin to sort this out.

I think it’s going to become quite boring listening to the same narrative of whether we win, lose or draw, “but we’re not very good are we?”

No shit, I ******* know that.

Heres another newsflash, due to the cluster **** created by Steve and Mark, it ain’t going to be very good for a while and I don’t believe another coach somehow polishes the turd.

Lets just dig in, support the team and just try to manufacture some points here and there, like we have done to this point.

So we won, it was a great feeling but the performance was one of the worst against a very poor team. We simply cannot keep the ball for more than 4 or 5 passes and we go long at every opportunity. If you have a Warnock team of giants with a couple of greyhounds this might work but with what we have the ball just comes back. How could a very average Barnsley team also low on confidence play virtually all of the second half in our half. To me our team organisation and plan is going backwards. I would love to know what the game plan of NP is. Perhaps it is lump it forward or perhaps it is different and the players can't/won't carry it out. Either way you cannot criticise the teams effort and commitment on Saturday but the organisation was awful. As to our salvation being based on youth, I thought Benarous looks way off the pace. On a few occasions Barnsley players simply took the ball off him and ran away, he could not keep up. It seems that our youth policy has been to create a set of LJ clones. 

I truly hope that we can find a couple of loans in Jan who can bring some calm and organisation to our midfield.

11 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

The three of us agreed on the pod.  We ended a run of defeats, we ended a run of games without a win at home.  We have not turned the corner of performances.  Two very different things.

4 hours ago, pl00peh91 said:

It’s not the same situation, we’d lost two games against two of the three best teams in the league and should have beaten Forest had we not suffered from our psychological issues at home. I don’t expect another losing run for a while now.

The next thing is to keep us solid / make us more solid, whilst we re-develop a way of playing with the ball.  Lack of confidence is a bastard to shake off.

Papering over the cracks.

We definitely need more in midfield and upfront otherwise it could be a long season. 

And by that I mean positional and style of play improvements via coaching. Recruitment would be an added bonus. 

We are just too “huff n puff” and industrial. We have some technically good players and also sparks with the likes of Massengo so the tools are there.