IGNORED

Nigel Pearson

Alan Dicks

6 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Can you not recollect just how shit we were under Holden?

Until about six matches from the end of Holden’s tenure we were in contention and playing decent football.  A shocking run of defeats hugely affected by the worst injury crisis we’ve ever had (and in empty stadiums) did for him, but I don’t recall us ever playing as badly as we did tonight.

Edited by The Dolman Pragmatist
  • Like 2

I actually think the coaching is as much to blame as the players. These guys are not all "L1 standard" as some claim. We've seem most of them perform far better, both here and at other clubs. Lets face it, we've seen most of them play better earlier in the season.

It's in this respect, I wonder if Pearson isn't someone who talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk.

As Leicester fans have told us, Craig Shakespeare was crucial to his success there in their opinion.

Do we need better replacements for Simpson and Downing?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I think this the concern for many now.

Have to agree with this we are not improving which is niges first priority.  Organisation and set up is niges remit no one else end of. I am gutted to start thinking that nige has just not got the fire in him anymore i am really in his camp but hey he is not improving at all. Stressed  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

He is a dinosaur. Those older managers living off past successes are all failing. Forest and Cardiff were smart enough to get rid. Middlesborough aren’t exactly flying either. Without looking I reckon the top 10 teams don’t have a manager older than 50. Fresh faces and fresh ideas is the way forward. 

LJ got us into this mess. Along with MA.

Pearson's signings are the only ones barring a handful of individuals who seem to care, we're still bogged down by the likes of O'Dowda, Palmer, etc on the books who shouldn't even have a career at this level imo.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Redpool said:

It is an awful squad filled with journeyman and league one standard players. It’s not difficult to see 

It really isn’t. 

Bentley most would say is a top keeper in this division.

Tanner been a good buy. Simpson NP signing

Kalas would get into most top 10 sides in this division. Atkinson has made the step up well enough if not spectacular. Baker a good defender when fit and resigned by Nige.

Dasilva probably not up to the levels he was pre injury. Pring been one of the surprises of the season

Massengo one of the best young players in the division. James I am not a big fan but one of NP signings so on him. Bakinson I like but a lot don’t. King a NP signing. Williams a good player and his man Rennie not got him fit. 

Ok up top is lacking quality. Though I think it is easily arguable he isn’t getting the best from any of them. In some cases flogging them and in others often playing them out of position or both. 

So even if we take your statement at face value, how many here are ones he has brought to the club or brought back that you speak of? 

• Like 1

God love us as City fans... Who are we honestly going to get that is better than Pearson? He's the most proven manager we've had in decades. The reason we're s*** is because the squad we have is s***. 

We had a good couple of years and SL and Ashton got over-excited and over-confident and thought we could sell these great players and replace them with cheaper, but just as great, players. Spoiler alert; they were wrong.

Through multiple bad decisions, we've accumulated a squad that is simply not good enough and laden with players that are falling down the pyramid (Wieman, Martin, Wells, etc.) Is it a coincidence that all of those players are strikers and our biggest struggle on the pitch is scoring goals? I think not. 

Basically, Pearson is the best Bristol City are going to get. I'd be happy to stay up this season and have some continuity with Pearson for at least another 12 months before suggesting we sack him. The focus for me is on Lansdown to put some serious money in to turn this ship around, otherwise I worry for us...

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Pearson's signings are the only ones barring a handful of individuals who seem to care, we're still bogged down by the likes of O'Dowda, Palmer, etc on the books who shouldn't even have a career at this level imo.

Lansdown has got us in this mess. Carbon copy of after Gary Johnson had left

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

It really isn’t. 

Bentley most would say is a top keeper in this division.

Tanner been a good buy. Simpson NP signing

Kalas would get into most top 10 sides in this division. Atkinson has made the step up well enough if not spectacular. Baker a good defender when fit and resigned by Nige.

Dasilva probably not up to the levels he was pre injury. Pring been one of the surprises of the season

Massengo one of the best young players in the division. James I am not a big fan but one of NP signings so on him. Bakinson I like but a lot don’t. King a NP signing. Williams a good player and his man Rennie not got him fit. 

Ok up top is lacking quality. Though I think it is easily arguable he isn’t getting the best from any of them. In some cases flogging them and in others often playing them out of position or both. 

So even if we take your statement at face value, how many here are ones he has brought to the club or brought back that you speak of? 

You have to wonder where we'd be if NP had managed to buy the striker he was looking for.  I understand the reasons he couldn't, but a half-decent goal poacher up front would have given us momentum and, although there are still lots of weaknesses in the squad, we'd be in a much better place.

You cannot complete a jigsaw with a missing piece - and so we are... incomplete. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Negan said:

I’m just living in hope that it gets better when it’s 11 of his players on the pitch…. The manager of course takes blame but these useless bastards have seen off 3 managers in 18 months and the footballs not got any better. It WILL not change with ANOTHER manager. Players are more to blame. 

This all day long for me. 

2 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Course NP may walk.

Cannot imagine even he imagined or realised the culture of absolute mediocrity and comfort that has soaked through this club since about 1998.

Must be exhausting.

That's not really the point, is it. It's his job to motivate 11 players to play a half-decent game of football against a mid-table club. He failed to do that tonight.

1 minute ago, TomThumb84 said:

Course NP may walk.

Cannot imagine even he imagined or realised the culture of absolute mediocrity and comfort that has soaked through this club since about 1998.

Must be exhausting.

I actually think that is a real risk  that he may walk away.

God help us if he does.

Be very careful what you wish for Nige will sort us out BUT, as he has said, it will take 3 years.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I actually think the coaching is as much to blame as the players. These guys are not all "L1 standard" as some claim. We've seem most of them perform far better, both here and at other clubs. Lets face it, we've seen most of them play better earlier in the season.

It's in this respect, I wonder if Pearson isn't someone who talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk.

As Leicester fans have told us, Craig Shakespeare was crucial to his success there in their opinion.

Do we need better replacements for Simpson and Downing?

On what evidence?

Bentley, Kalas, DaSilva, Atkinson, James, Baker - arguably would agree, Championship Quality.

Massengo - likely too good for us.

Pring, Tanner  - Solid squad options, but only young and lacking experience at this level.

Note the common theme, no forward players anywhere have I listed. And barring Massengo and James, no midfielders.

The rest? - wouldn't touch any of them with a barge pole for the first eleven given a choice. Especially on their supposed wages.

Just now, Fuber said:

COD and Palmer aren’t playing though. And if I add some OTIB scapegoats like Vyner and Bakinson, they aren’t really holding us back financially. 

It is nice that some care but wouldn’t it be nice if they could play at a decent level? 

10 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Klopp , Pep, Conte , Moyes, etc etc all 50 or over. No fact, pure fiction in your comment. We have fresh ideas and fresh faces and zero patience or understanding of where we are and how we get out of it. But we have some fans who are the real prehistoric problem here. 

Did you just take world class managers and compare them to Pearson, Warnock, Houghton and McCarthy? ?

Go look at the top 10 teams in this league and their managers. Not much experience in the championship but all doing better than the dinosaurs. 

• Hmmm 1

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

You have to wonder where we'd be if NP had managed to buy the striker he was looking for.  I understand the reasons he couldn't, but a half-decent goal poacher up front would have given us momentum and, although there are still lots of weaknesses in the squad, we'd be in a much better place.

You cannot complete a jigsaw with a missing piece - and so we are... incomplete. 

His failure to get the best out of Wells is exacerbating the issue. He could be the striker we need if he had some confidence, but it was sucked out of him by not starting at the start of the season. Terrible man management in my view.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pigeon said:

God love us as City fans... Who are we honestly going to get that is better than Pearson? He's the most proven manager we've had in decades. The reason we're s*** is because the squad we have is s***. 

We had a good couple of years and SL and Ashton got over-excited and over-confident and thought we could sell these great players and replace them with cheaper, but just as great, players. Spoiler alert; they were wrong.

Through multiple bad decisions, we've accumulated a squad that is simply not good enough and laden with players that are falling down the pyramid (Wieman, Martin, Wells, etc.) Is it a coincidence that all of those players are strikers and our biggest struggle on the pitch is scoring goals? I think not. 

Basically, Pearson is the best Bristol City are going to get. I'd be happy to stay up this season and have some continuity with Pearson for at least another 12 months before suggesting we sack him. The focus for me is on Lansdown to put some serious money in to turn this ship around, otherwise I worry for us...

Don't be taken in by his previous reputation and hype....he seems to have lost the management skill he had back then.

Am I living in some kind of biazrro land compared to the "But Holden!!"ers where we didn't play like absolute shit half of last season with a far bigger and more expensive squad, then lose a load of our first team (including our top scored for the last 3 seasons and record signing) over the summer?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Are you blaming O’Dowda and Palmer for tonight?  There were eleven professionals on the pitch tonight and one manager (in the stand).  Can you honestly blame Mark Ashton for that second half?

Just now, Top Robin said:

Don't be taken in by his previous reputation and hype....he seems to have lost the management skill he had back then.

I'm not saying he's a world beater, I don't even have confidence that he'll get us promoted. But as of right now, in this moment, I really don't know who we could get in that is better.

2 minutes ago, pigeon said:

Goodness, how MANY times, SL cannot put money into the club, it is something that you may  have heard of - FFP - Steve is obviously a hugely wealthy man , BUT he is not allowed to invest......tiresome having to mention this yet again.

• Flames 1

I said on another post I have backed Pearson so far, but this could be a turning point for me it's just not working. We have no creativity, no goal threat and defend like rank amateurs.

Bakinson & vyner should no where near the first team there an absolute liability, no idea what Pearson see it them....

The worst i expected at this point that we would be a boring team but one that makes it hard to score against and all the players work hard, unfortunately it seems the total opposite at the moment we are easy to score against and the players out there tonight just did not give a shit...

I don't know how this is going to change, the team changes every game we get no consistency and the players looks so far out of there depth its scary, we are slipping further down the table the longer the season goes on.

its not like he's gonna have a pot of money to spend on January the 1st and its all going to be good again, were stuck with this until the end of the season...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

Am I living in some kind of biazrro land compared to the "But Holden!!"ers where we didn't play like absolute shit half of last season with a far bigger and more expensive squad, then lose a load of our first team (including our top scored for the last 3 seasons and record signing) over the summer?

Surely by current thinking, last season was Mark Ashton’s fault too?

Didn't think he deserved the job after last season's efforts and on this season's performances he certainly doesn't seem to be the man to take this club forward shame really as people really wanted him to succeed but just don't think it's working and I really wonder if the players believe in him

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I wouldn’t argue that. I have said, league position wise, this isn’t a disaster at the minute. My concern is the performances and how they are steadily getting worse.

Also the lack of ideas. I am not saying go put our entire bench tonight on the pitch at once. But can we not get say Scott and Bell on the pitch here and there? It isn’t as if Weimann Wells and Martin is this prolific strike force.

I feel like we are regressing and not sure an incomplete squad is enough reason to regress as much as we have. The frustration is our problems are generally the same every game but we persist with the same personnel. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Kibs said:

I really thought that as a minimum, despite the shite he’s inherited, Pearson would make us organised, hard to beat and unpleasant to play against…..but it’s actually the polar opposite. 

This group of players are very average, but they are better than they are currently showing and Pearson is responsible for that. 

This 100%

It is a shambles and with no consequences for failure it will not improve.