IGNORED

Could it be LJ "unfinished business"

Waconda

At first I thought I'd be pissed off. But then I realised it would be the most "us" thing ever.

Then I started to realise that we haven't actually been as high in the league as we were under LJ. To think, we were annoyed that we were knocking on the door of the playoffs but not getting in?! 

Edit: to clarify, I definitely think it would be a super dumb idea

Edited by YGBjammy

1 minute ago, Tin Soldier said:

There would be a massive drop in ST sales if he came back. But it is the sort of mistake SL would make (again).

Hmmm not sure about that myself, with the already highly advertised relegation battle and the prospect of another season of this, they will be haemorrhaging ST sales as it is now. 

Not saying it would be a good idea but disagree on lower ST sales as a reason.

12 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

At first I thought I'd be pissed off. But then I realised it would be the most "us" thing ever.

Then I started to realise that we haven't actually been as high in the league as we were under LJ. To think, we were annoyed that we were knocking on the door of the playoffs but not getting in?! 

Edit: to clarify, I definitely think it would be a super dumb idea

5 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Watched some highlights of us in 2018/19 the other day

Night and day better than any of the shit served up since he left

Those years are criminally underrated by some.

Clearly the club has been left in the shit and I don’t think that’s all Lees fault, but on the pitch we overachieved compared to our recent history (eg last 40 years). He just couldn’t get us over the line.

We also put in some very, very good performances for a couple of years. The peak probably being the 2 semi final legs

• Like 1

I think he would be a good coach working under a manager like NP, NP would manage him and cut out most of his bullshit but we would also get the benefits of his efforts.

Would be interesting how he coached players that weren't so weak minded.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Waconda said:

Hmmm not sure about that myself, with the already highly advertised relegation battle and the prospect of another season of this, they will be haemorrhaging ST sales as it is now. 

Not saying it would be a good idea but disagree on lower ST sales as a reason.

100% lower season ticket sales. 

God no !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pezo said:

I think he would be a good coach working under a manager like NP, NP would manage him and cut out most of his bullshit but we would also get the benefits of his efforts.

Would be interesting how he coached players that weren't so weak minded.

LJ was weak minded and weak with his players. 

Listen to the Wilbo interview!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tin said:

LJ had three years left on the deal he signed in 2019 when he left us, happily took a seven-figure pay-off after playing a huge role in dismantling Cotts’ squad and increasing costs with his clubs-in-the-bag approach.

He should never have got the job in the first place, a second time would be suicidal for the club. Assistant coach, fine. Head coach, no. 

Another crock of shit from Waconda / VT etc

Please don’t insult the resident pro

010BF1CD-684C-454D-9EF7-04F7AB7D6F0A.gif

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Waconda said:

They wouldn't, would they ?

SL - Hello Lee, we made a mistake, fancy coming back?

LJ - Sure, what’s my budget?

SL - nothing sorry mate, we’re skint…hello, Lee are you still there?…Lee?…

SL sobs….

5 minutes ago, tin said:

LJ had three years left on the deal he signed in 2019 when he left us, happily took a seven-figure pay-off after playing a huge role in dismantling Cotts’ squad and increasing costs with his clubs-in-the-bag approach.

He should never have got the job in the first place, a second time would be suicidal for the club. Assistant coach, fine. Head coach, no. 

Another crock of shit from Waconda / VT etc

How dare Lee Johnson dismantle Cotts squad that was heading towards relegation, and build a squad that challanged at the top end of the Championship, our best finishes in 40 years. At the same time making large transfer profits.  Terrible manager.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 1

I actually had this conversation with a colleague in work earlier this week. 

We were discussing where we currently are as a club, and what would happen if Nige were to leave/be sacked. 

We highlighted our own opinions as to who we would like to take over, and the many factors that would play a part in that appointment (finances being the main one).

I would personally like to see us go down the route that MK Dons have gone, where a young manager with a clear style of play is appointed, with a recruitment policy in place. MK Dons have had an excellent season, and a large contributing factor is that they sign talented young players, whose contracts have expired and are signed for small compensation fees. Scott Twine being the stand out example. Kane Wilson (Forest Green - Right Back) would be an example of who would be available this upcoming summer window. Combined with this are players promoted from the academy, something we are well stocked with as the likes of Scott, Pring, Bell and Conway have shown. 

However, we agreed that this type of appointment is unlikely to happen under SL and JL's leadership. Instead they are likely to revert to Johnson as he is out of work, and we have been on the decline since he has left. 

NOW BY NO MEANS DO I WANT THAT TO HAPPEN!!...  but it does seem like a decision Steve and Jon would be likely to make. 

Luton and Peterborough are examples of clubs that have reverted to previous managers that fit the ownerships wants/needs. 

Luton being the positive example, a hugely successful season, positive football that has been embedded over a number of seasons, and has seen them develop at a rapid rate. 

Peterborough being the other, and more likely mirroring where we currently are as a club. 

SL and JL have both proved over their tenure to enjoy 'comfort'. Minimal risk, and a manager who is aligned to their way of thinking, and likely to follow the way that they want the club to run.

Now history shows during his previous tenure, that Johnson likes to spend excessive amounts of money. Was Mark Ashton a driving force in this? Was Johnson on board with all signings? (Chelsea loaners etc.). I would certainly be interested to see him work on minimal/no spend. 

Yet, during his time at Barnsley and Oldham, LJ developed a reputation for developing talent, and securing bargains that represented future value. 

There's no doubting that towards the end of his time with us, the football on show was utter dross. We were struggling to show any attacking intent, and the fighting spirit we once showed was gone. 

For years rumours have circulated that SL is not keen on signing former players. Albert Adomah, Cole Skuse, and many others have been rumoured to be close to re-signing for the club, but SL has reportedly blocked the moves. Would the same apply for a former manager? 

We know that the SL has spoken publicly of how well he gets on with Gary and Lee Johnson. I can't help but get the feeling that we will be seeing LJ return at some point in the future. 

• Like 2

Idk part of me would like to see LJ with no MA. LJ was more the Szmodics, Brownhill and Webster signings it felt. Whereas Ashton was the Palmer, Wells and Dasilva signings. 

Then I think of how much I grew to hate listening to him after every game. How fast our form could go from promotion level to relegation level. And mostly how rough the ending was. 

There could be a time where LJ can come back but think it is too soon to really consider that.