IGNORED

Interesting words from NP at press conference re Hull

DT The Optimist

That Wayne Rooney said to him  (NP) after the Derby game that our front three were as good as any in this league…. And that where he’s come from  (Rooney) he should know….

Yet before the season  started NP was hearing we should have new striker etc etc. 

Wonder if that view is shared, I would be delighted if all three stayed fit and start next season, if we have Wells as well we might not be far off being very decent if our frailties  in defending are resolved..

2 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

That Wayne Rooney said to him  (NP) after the Derby game that our front three were as good as any in this league…. And that where he’s come from  (Rooney) he should know….

Yet before the season  started NP was hearing we should have new striker etc etc. 

Wonder if that view is shared, I would be delighted if all three stayed fit and start next season, if we have Wells as well we might not be far off being very decent if our frailties  in defending are resolved..

I would too.

However, Chris Martin will be 34 this year. We will just need to be careful with him I think.

In an ideal world I would shift Nahki, get a decent enough replacement on much lower wages. Then rotate between Martin, Andi, AS and new striker.

Then the likes of Conway in behind when required.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I would too.

However, Chris Martin will be 34 this year. We will just need to be careful with him I think.

In an ideal world I would shift Nahki, get a decent enough replacement on much lower wages. Then rotate between Martin, Andi, AS and new striker.

Then the likes of Conway in behind when required.

Martin has at least two more seasons in him and I can’t see any reason to move him on. He,AS and Weimann have really produced the goods all season and hopefully City can hold on to AS this summer.

Wells is ideal cover and if any of the three main strikers are unavailable then Conway is there as back up. No need whatsoever to change anything.

ideal 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Martin has at least two more seasons in him and I can’t see any reason to move him on. He,AS and Weimann have really produced the goods all season and hopefully City can hold on to AS this summer.

Wells is ideal cover and if any of the three main strikers are unavailable then Conway is there as back up. No need whatsoever to change anything.

ideal 

Well's wages are too high for someone who is purely cover. If you intentionally want someone to only play 10-12 games worth of minutes in a season as he has it can't be one of your higher earners.

In fact it's an ideal place for a youngster who should be the Martin replacement in that year or twos time to start getting up to speed! Save Martin's legs a bit, blood your replacement.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 7

If we have to move Wells on to trim the wage budget, that's fine. A shame, but fine.

No way should we get rid of him for footballing reasons, despite what the experts on here think.

Nahki Wells has had a similar problem to Weimann here. Up until Pearson's tenure, he was usually asked to play wide. 

Pearson realises that both need to be played through the middle. That is not particular praise for Pearson, a moron could see it, but our previous 'managers' didn't.

Weimann has started most (if not all) games this season through the middle. He has got 20 goals.

Given the career scoring records of the two, how many do you think Wells would get, afforded the same chance?

Thankfully, unlike a lot on here, Pearson does seem to like Wells. 

So do I. And I hope we can find a way for him to stay. 

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

ideal 

There’s a need to move Wells on. FFP

• Like 1

I think the thing with Martin, Weimann and Semenyo is that - for what feels like the first time in quite a while - we've got a forward three that really complement each other and who suit each other's game. Take Weimann's goal v Derby - it's an example of all three of them playing to their strengths and, as a result, we scored the kind of fluid team goal that I've far too often envied other teams for when they've done it against us.

There are probably better individual forwards in the division but the three together are more than the sum of their parts - which hasn't always been the case for us in recent seasons.

The question for me with Wells is where he fits within that. I've never doubted his quality but I do want to see how he can start to combine well with the forwards we have and how we get the best out of him and everyone else as a result. Ditto with Bell and Conway - hopefully next season they can start to show how they slot in with our front three as that isn't yet obvious to me. 

I do wonder if we still need another player to cover for Martin, in particular. Earlier in the season, he was often isolated up-front but - with players around him - he does a lot of very clever and unselfish work to create chances for others. I'm not sure we currently have anyone else who can do quite what he does. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

13 hours ago, Superjack said:

If we have to move Wells on to trim the wage budget, that's fine. A shame, but fine.

No way should we get rid of him for footballing reasons, despite what the experts on here think.

Nahki Wells has had a similar problem to Weimann here. Up until Pearson's tenure, he was usually asked to play wide. 

Pearson realises that both need to be played through the middle. That is not particular praise for Pearson, a moron could see it, but our previous 'managers' didn't.

Weimann has started most (if not all) games this season through the middle. He has got 20 goals.

Given the career scoring records of the two, how many do you think Wells would get, afforded the same chance?

Thankfully, unlike a lot on here, Pearson does seem to like Wells. 

So do I. And I hope we can find a way for him to stay. 

Wells, unlike Weimann has played the majority of his career centrally up front, he has never scored 20 league goals in one season. His best season was the season he joined us were he got 18 goals, 5 for us 13 for QPR. 

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

Or sell one of our up and coming youngsters……..HNM will probably be off but hopefully not AS.

Keeping Wells as our back up striker would cost the club a minimum £2m from an accounting perspective. For a club in our financial situation that money could be spent  more effectively imo.

it hasn’t worked out here for Wells. He’s been a model pro but we have not seen value for money in terms of goals/ performances. I can imagine at his age as well he will want to play in as many games as possible. I think it would be best for all parties if he left in the summer.

13 hours ago, IAmNick said:

Well's wages are too high for someone who is purely cover. If you intentionally want someone to only play 10-12 games worth of minutes in a season as he has it can't be one of your higher earners.

In fact it's an ideal place for a youngster who should be the Martin replacement in that year or twos time to start getting up to speed! Save Martin's legs a bit, blood your replacement.

completely agree with this, we definitely need to start succession planning especially with the number of ooc players next summer. This is a key part of Brentford's strategy https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2718752-brentfords-moneyball-way-to-beat-football-teams-with-huge-budgets.amp.html

• Like 4

Excellent interview that reiterated what many of the more sensible posters on here say and think. 

If we are competitive near the top next season that would be ahead of schedule. If we can do it by minimizing spend so much the better, but the god awful clubs in the bag approach to the squad and the clubs money has gone! 

Enjoy watching the development of the ones that will be with us next season and get behind them. Putting one or two posters/pod casters on permanent ignore may be good for blood pressure and the stress of suppressing the urge to choke the shit out of people who desperately need it!

• Thanks 1