IGNORED

Is Jay DaSilva worth a new contract?

Vidal

We have a history of turning excellent loans into terrible permanent signings, Tomlin being the obvious example. Whilst I wouldn’t put Jay into that category I do not think he has met expectations since signing on a perm. 

With him apparently being offered a new contract, all be it a lower wage, do people think offering him a new contract is the right thing to do? For me, I would release and look for a young hungry aggressive lower league left back to offer competition to Pring.

When COD was released NP said that sometimes a player needs to move on for both them and the club, I thought Jay would be in the same boat, it doesn’t seem to be the case.

What are peoples thoughts? 

I like Jay but with Pring’s recent performances it does beg the question how did he keep his place for so long. Jay is  a decent championship player and we need competition, so more than happy for him to stay on reduced terms.  Believe there’s more to come from Jay & would imagine he wouldn’t be short of suitors but needs more assists and goals as technically very good.

It’s a keep from me. 

• Like 1

It’s all about salary expectations here.

Jay is playing in a position where he doesn’t hold a large number of cards in asking for money. I rate him, think he’s a decent defender but the fact is that he doesn’t really offer huge amounts attacking wise and his height limits the market as it will put people off.

So, left back, non glamorous position. Stats won’t see him as an outlier even though he’s decent.

I don’t see loads wanting him - less than his ability warrants certainly. On that basis as long as he’s affordable I’d be swinging towards keeping him as he may be a good vfm resigning

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vidal said:

We have a history of turning excellent loans into terrible permanent signings, Tomlin being the obvious example. Whilst I wouldn’t put Jay into that category I do not think he has met expectations since signing on a perm. 

With him apparently being offered a new contract, all be it a lower wage, do people think offering him a new contract is the right thing to do? For me, I would release and look for a young hungry aggressive lower league left back to offer competition to Pring.

When COD was released NP said that sometimes a player needs to move on for both them and the club, I thought Jay would be in the same boat, it doesn’t seem to be the case.

What are peoples thoughts? 

Depends what we can get him down too. If we can get him to agree a 3 year deal on £8k a week including any signing on fee then cost of contract over 3 years will ‘only’ be £1.2m.  If we can replace him with a free transfer then fine but not sure we would find much better with paying a fee on that sort of money.  

I think the main question is could you get better in the market?

Ryan Manning (Swansea) is approaching the end of his deal, and is a more physical option. Loves a challenge.

I have two main concerns with Dasilva.

1. He doesn’t offer the attacking threat that we get with Pring. He gets forward and then cuts back onto his right foot, which he never uses and we then lose momentum of the attack.

2. Physical teams target his side of the pitch with target men. We then have to push a centre back across to cover. 

He’s a good championship player, but for me Pring is a better fit for the team in our current set-up. 

I thought Dasilva was brilliant during his loan season, but hasn’t hit the heights (pardon the pun) since.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

.1. He doesn’t offer the attacking threat that we get with Pring. He gets forward and then cuts back onto his right foot, which he never uses and we then lose momentum of the attack.

Or, he takes a shot and someone in Row Z gets to catch the ball!

But, yeah, I agree re keeping him; it depends who might be available and whose wages will be cheaper. 

Not close enough to the academy to know if we’ve got anyone coming through in that position? We’ve more options on the right, so obviously need cover beyond Cam, therefore as others have said, depends on the offer he’ll take vs what’s available in the market (unless academy about to reveal a jewel). 

4 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Not close enough to the academy to know if we’ve got anyone coming through in that position? We’ve more options on the right, so obviously need cover beyond Cam, therefore as others have said, depends on the offer he’ll take vs what’s available in the market (unless academy about to reveal a jewel). 

It’s a very good point on the academy.  I don’t see anyone ready for that position but others may do. Also can Benarous be trained there? 

The whole question of should we renew is impossible to answer really as we don’t have enough information.  We aren’t going to pay a transfer fee for a left wing back in my opinion and without knowing the chances of signing someone on a free who is any better it’s very hard to answer.   I would say, without all the info, best to trust those with the info to make the right decision.  

6 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Would imagine the young lad Morrison would be the replacement in the long term. Only 17 I believe but very highly rated within the club. Had some playing time in the friendly win over Southampton.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Would imagine the young lad Morrison would be the replacement in the long term. Only 17 I believe but very highly rated within the club. Had some playing time in the friendly win over Southampton.

Yes, he can play either side, although I think he may end up in central midfield. Edwards plays left side, are we writing him off?

Pring had his career slowed by DeSilva in my opinion. 

DeSilva was an LJ bauble that cost a fortune and was almost immediately diagnosed with shin splints. Yet another crock that was missed by the medical staff and managed to get themselves paid for not very much. 

Is there anyone out there there that’s better and available to us or do we have anyone coming through is the question.

From what I heard several have been offered contracts and as DeSilva was on the bench I suspect he was one of them. Guess we will know soon enough! 

On reduced terms. Yes, as competition.

He’s been a disappointing signing for me. I thought he was incredible during his loan period. I know he’s had some nasty injuries but has never fulfilled his potential during his time here. I thought the £2million fee was a bargain at the time. What a shame. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Really hard to know who is available for the wages we can afford & what his situation is, so has he made his mind up already to look to move on or is he willing to do a Wells/Weimann & accept reduced terms?

He’s 24, has played 120 Championship games for us so to my mind would be a useful squad option, but all of the stuff above will actually decide it, I think.

I rate Pring as good enough to be one of our 2 LBs in the squad but would want a replacement for JD if he leaves.

55 minutes ago, The Coach said:

On reduced terms. Yes, as competition.

He’s been a disappointing signing for me. I thought he was incredible during his loan period. I know he’s had some nasty injuries but has never fulfilled his potential during his time here. I thought the £2million fee was a bargain at the time. What a shame. 

He was outstanding on loan - been a big disappointment I agree.

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Since Pearson said 3 players have been told they won't have their contracts extended we've seen nothing of JD or Martin....

Dasilva has been on the bench since the restart, so jury out on him. I'd hope we could do better for less investment, but okay as a squard player on the right money.  Chis Martin hasn't made the squad sin cethe restart, and I half expect him to to find another club in the January window.