IGNORED

Is Jay DaSilva worth a new contract?

Vidal

On 02/01/2023 at 17:05, spudski said:

He's the biggest conundrum for me.

He's not the best at defending in a LB position.

He's not a wing back. His distribution as a wing back when passing/ crossing is poor at this level imo.

He is however a talented technical footballer. Close control and short passing excellent.

For me... he's not playing to his strengths.

I see him as a left sided midfielder who plays possession build up football. How Swansea used to play.

In a wing back position for us, I see him weakening that position. Pring far better.

But he is a fantastic footballer used wrongly for us ...imo.

Trouble with him being a left sided midfielder is he isn't the greatest at either shooting or crossing.  

If we had a 5 a side team he'd be brilliant, but we don't so he needs to leave and join a more technical possession based side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I thought he was very good today. Good in possession, dribbling and barely gave the ball away.  Was very good one on one.  Positioned himself well defensively making it hard for his winger.  And Pearson and staff looked delighted with him when he came off.  Great to have that strength in depth

Agreed! Thought he had a great game. Superb ball control and a couple of good flicks and lay-offs too. Had a really good game 

5 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

I just don't see it. He's poor. 

Take the good footwork when he was scythed down on the halfway line today. When he received that pass he had about 20 yards of space, he had a completely open side of the pitch to run into at pace. Instead he puts his foot on the ball, runs into a blind alley and kills a really dangerous attack.

Now, benefit of the doubt could let you say "it's 3-0, he's protecting the lead". But he does it every single time. It's just really poor full back play.

He's too small, he got caught out of position 3 or 4 times in the first half and it was only that Jed Wallace had an absolute nightmare that he wasn't punished. 

He's lethargic in the press, he's languid on the ball. He's the antithesis of what our team is about. We are becoming a powerful countering side, we progress through the thirds quickly. 

Stick him in Swansea's team and he'd look tidy. But for us, no. He's just not the right type of player. 

He's also on a massive wedge and lightyears behind Pring. 

It's the most obvious "release" imaginable. 

If we renewed it would be on less than he’s on now.  I think it entirely depends on what he’d accept as to whether it should be renewed.  Was very good today though and a few more performances like that might prompt an offer from us.  We will need to replace him if he leaves and no guarantee we will get better. Pearson looked delighted with him today 

On reduced terms I think so. Him and Pring are a solid pairing and he seemed very happy in a 433 today, much more effective than in the 532. He thrives passing around in a tight midfield.

Edit: by pairing I mean as LB competition.

Edited by BCFCGav

I’d don’t think he’d accept what we’re prepared to offer in terms of what he’s on now. I bet he’s on 15k. I bet we’d keep him at 8k. 

I’d much sooner keep Pring. And Dasilva is too expensive a back up. 

It’s a release for me. 

Edited by Fordy62
  • Like 5

Still a no from me, even after a good performance today.

He’s a technically gifted, very tidy footballer but has too many limitations for me to consider offering him a new deal, even at significantly reduced terms.

- He’s not an attacking full-back that makes us better offensively (ie Joe Bryan), neither is he a proper solid defensive full-back (ie Bradley Orr).

- he’s ridiculously one footed yet his left foot isn’t even that good when it comes to crossing/shooting.

- he doesn’t score goals.

- he’s very small for a defender so will always be targeted by the opposition in that regard.

- Pring is developing well and offers us more versatility.

• Like 5

He was very good today, no doubt about it……but I hope Pring continues to nail down the position and is first choice. I think his attributes are better suited to how Pearson wants us to play. 

Probably best for all if we part ways at the end of the season. 

21 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’d don’t think he’d accept what we’re prepared to offer in terms of what he’s on now. I bet he’s on 15k. I bet we’d keep him at 8k. 

It’s a release for me. 

I can't put my finger on it, maybe a couple of things he did whilst walking around taking the applause after the match, but I'm wondering if that was the last time we will see him at AG in a City shirt. He seemed to be saying goodbye, maybe?

53 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

I just don't see it. He's poor. 

Take the good footwork when he was scythed down on the halfway line today. When he received that pass he had about 20 yards of space, he had a completely open side of the pitch to run into at pace. Instead he puts his foot on the ball, runs into a blind alley and kills a really dangerous attack.

Now, benefit of the doubt could let you say "it's 3-0, he's protecting the lead". But he does it every single time. It's just really poor full back play.

He's too small, he got caught out of position 3 or 4 times in the first half and it was only that Jed Wallace had an absolute nightmare that he wasn't punished. 

He's lethargic in the press, he's languid on the ball. He's the antithesis of what our team is about. We are becoming a powerful countering side, we progress through the thirds quickly. 

Stick him in Swansea's team and he'd look tidy. But for us, no. He's just not the right type of player. 

He's also on a massive wedge and lightyears behind Pring. 

It's the most obvious "release" imaginable. 

Perfect summary (unfortunately)

20 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Not sure why you don’t think he was good today. Maybe a blind spot with him ? 

Had a good game today.  More thoughts below ⬇️⬇️⬇️

20 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

He’s a technically gifted, very tidy footballer but has too many limitations for me to consider offering him a new deal, even at significantly reduced terms.

- He’s not an attacking full-back that makes us better offensively (ie Joe Bryan), neither is he a proper solid defensive full-back (ie Bradley Orr).

- he’s ridiculously one footed yet his left foot isn’t even that good when it comes to crossing/shooting.

- he’s very small for a defender so will always be targeted by the opposition in that regard.

I am a long time Jay fan, and most will acknowledge he’s very good technically.  I’m one (of a small number) who thinks he’s decent defensively, plus he uses his body well aerially.

I don’t think he’s been quite the same player since last season’s shin splints issue, but…

…I’ve always said I don’t think he’s suite to playing WB.  He needs the play in front of him, he likes to move forward, face side on or forward, not facing back.

Today he was a conventional LB in a back four, and I think that’s his best position.  If we continue to play a back four then there’s a lot more of a grey area as to whether extend his contract or not, especially if wage is reduced significantly.

32 minutes ago, Kibs said:

He was very good today, no doubt about it……but I hope Pring continues to nail down the position and is first choice. I think his attributes are better suited to how Pearson wants us to play. 

Probably best for all if we part ways at the end of the season. 

Problem is though that we need 2 left backs. If we can get him to agree to a wage drop he may be the best option we can find as a back up to Pring

39 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

He's also probably towards the top end of our wage bill as well I would imagine.

33 minutes ago, RedM said:

I can't put my finger on it, maybe a couple of things he did whilst walking around taking the applause after the match, but I'm wondering if that was the last time we will see him at AG in a City shirt. He seemed to be saying goodbye, maybe?

Oooh. Do I recall a rumour that Birmingham were sniffing? To be fair I may have made that up. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

It’s a release for me. 

Exactly this. When you consider his status in the team now after the emergence of Pring, he is probably on about 3x what we would want someone in that role to be on.

Is he going to accept something less than half of his current salary? I am doubtful.

Edited by marcofisher

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Had a good game today.  More thoughts below ⬇️⬇️⬇️

I am a long time Jay fan, and most will acknowledge he’s very good technically.  I’m one (of a small number) who thinks he’s decent defensively, plus he uses his body well aerially.

I don’t think he’s been quite the same player since last season’s shin splints issue, but…

…I’ve always said I don’t think he’s suite to playing WB.  He needs the play in front of him, he likes to move forward, face side on or forward, not facing back.

Today he was a conventional LB in a back four, and I think that’s his best position.  If we continue to play a back four then there’s a lot more of a grey area as to whether extend his contract or not, especially if wage is reduced significantly.

I have suggested before that in a 4-4-2 the best option on the left might be Dasilva at left back and Pring at left midfield. However I don’t think Nige is going to play that formation and if Jay is only a back up left back then unless he is willing to take a considerable cut in wages, then I think we will be going our separate ways. I like him as a player and I think he is a more than capable left full back at this level, but his 2019 contract is just not affordable in 2023 unless you are a club with parachute payments.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Agree that the way he went around the ground at the end suggests he knows that was his last game for us and he is on his way out.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1