IGNORED

Is Jay DaSilva worth a new contract?

Vidal

He's the biggest conundrum for me.

He's not the best at defending in a LB position.

He's not a wing back. His distribution as a wing back when passing/ crossing is poor at this level imo.

He is however a talented technical footballer. Close control and short passing excellent.

For me... he's not playing to his strengths.

I see him as a left sided midfielder who plays possession build up football. How Swansea used to play.

In a wing back position for us, I see him weakening that position. Pring far better.

But he is a fantastic footballer used wrongly for us ...imo.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He hasn't been offered a new contract.

Know this as a fact?

I believe that his size and the fact that he can't use his right foot, lets him down. Not strong enough as a left back and not creative enough as a wing back. I would prefer someone a harder as a defender and creative as an attacker.

• Like 3

Of all the players out of contract, I think he is the hardest to call both in terms of what I want to happen and what I think will happen.

I think he is better than some give him credit for but he’s not so far delivered on his potential and, if he weren’t here already, I don’t really see him as a signing Pearson would make.

Others have said this but I think it ultimately comes down to what alternatives there are. I’d not offer him a contract now and would be prepared to run the risk of another club coming in but - depending on his demands - I’d not be adverse to us offering him something at the end of the season if the other options are more expensive or less effective.

• Like 2

A big factor in all of this is that this squad is not winning enough games, and we need new players.

We have a lot of high earners in the squad, who simply aren’t doing enough to get results. That’s the brutal truth.

We need to bring in players with the bit between their teeth, to help us progress forward, but cannot do that if we choose to extend the contracts of certain players.

There is a big opportunity this summer, to free up wages, whilst also freshening up the squad. 

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I feel their is better value available this summer.

I would release. 

13 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Most definitely, but like with all things now, as long as the finances make sense. & that probably means a fair % drop for Jay, maybe on a longer term? He won’t struggle to find a club if he leaves, that’s for sure! COYR 

Agreed with everything said here. 

52 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

A big factor in all of this is that this squad is not winning enough games, and we need new players.

We have a lot of high earners in the squad, who simply aren’t doing enough to get results. That’s the brutal truth.

We need to bring in players with the bit between their teeth, to help us progress forward, but cannot do that if we choose to extend the contracts of certain players.

There is a big opportunity this summer, to free up wages, whilst also freshening up the squad. 

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I feel their is better value available this summer.

I would release. 

Totally agree, dasilva might be a tidy player but offers not a lot,,, he should be released, along with quite a few others… what a shame though with the money we have lost on all these players!

5 hours ago, Vidal said:

We have a history of turning excellent loans into terrible permanent signings, Tomlin being the obvious example. Whilst I wouldn’t put Jay into that category I do not think he has met expectations since signing on a perm. 

With him apparently being offered a new contract, all be it a lower wage, do people think offering him a new contract is the right thing to do? For me, I would release and look for a young hungry aggressive lower league left back to offer competition to Pring.

When COD was released NP said that sometimes a player needs to move on for both them and the club, I thought Jay would be in the same boat, it doesn’t seem to be the case.

What are peoples thoughts? 

Firstly, a good thought provoking post, and lots of good responses, all with various merits.  This is what OTIB is about.  Before I pick off several responses to you and respond myself…there are quite a few unknowns that make it a tough one to call.

5 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I think the main question is could you get better in the market?

Ryan Manning (Swansea) is approaching the end of his deal, and is a more physical option. Loves a challenge.

I have two main concerns with Dasilva.

1. He doesn’t offer the attacking threat that we get with Pring. He gets forward and then cuts back onto his right foot, which he never uses and we then lose momentum of the attack.

2. Physical teams target his side of the pitch with target men. We then have to push a centre back across to cover. 

He’s a good championship player, but for me Pring is a better fit for the team in our current set-up. 

I thought Dasilva was brilliant during his loan season, but hasn’t hit the heights (pardon the pun) since.

Yes, with any re-contract we should be thinking two ways…can we get better, are we blocking pathway.

Ideally, we shouldn’t be letting players go OOC, we should be selling them before the time comes, but we couldn’t do that with the squad size / depth and the current market.

So we are in a position where we are in a bit of a corner, offering him a decreased deal to stay.  Pring has massively complicate the situation.  In a good way!!!

4 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Would imagine the young lad Morrison would be the replacement in the long term. Only 17 I believe but very highly rated within the club. Had some playing time in the friendly win over Southampton.

Yes, certainly being groomed to get an early opportunity.  He might influence what sort of age player we might look at.  I know it’s a bit strange to note, but Dasilva is 3 months younger than Pring!!!

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes, he can play either side, although I think he may end up in central midfield. Edwards plays left side, are we writing him off?

Sounds like he’s (Morrison) gonna be one of those players who can play anywhere down the left hand side, and possibly elsewhere too.

Edwards is 22 in April, gonna need a big summer I think.  Would not surprise me if he doesn’t quite fulfil the promise here

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He hasn't been offered a new contract.

Well, that effing changes everything.  Do you know / can you say whether that’s a point blank, wasn’t offered a contract, because we don’t want him, or wasn’t offered a contract because poles apart in what he wanted and club willing to offer?  I heard that he was in talks…but that doesn’t mean we got to a stage where close enough in negotiations.

It seemed Nige had got Dasilva back onside from a poor situation last season.

1 hour ago, tin said:

I’d imagine Towler will be in the first-team fold next season and could cover for Pring, as could Tanner.

Is he really a LB?  I know he played a couple of times for us there.  He’s having a good loan at Wimbledon but still think he might want another loan season…at Lg1.

Back to the OP…assuming he has been offered a contract, it really has to be on a sensible wage…and then hope he gets back to the form we saw pre-injury, which might be debatable.

• Like 1

I like him a lot and rate him highly but probably wouldn't offer him a new contract. I don't think he's what we need right now.

Ball at his feet, in tight spaces, quick passing, he's about as good as any in the squad I think. He's technically excellent and I really enjoy watching him play. I think players like Scott are probably enhanced by having a few like Jay around them.

I said earlier in the season I'd like to see him tried in midfield, but I get why we haven't.

I could see him going elsewhere, playing slightly different football, and doing very well - and I hope he does. Easy to forget how young he is too... Real shame we won't get anything for him.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 1

On 02/01/2023 at 12:44, Vidal said:

We have a history of turning excellent loans into terrible permanent signings, Tomlin being the obvious example. Whilst I wouldn’t put Jay into that category I do not think he has met expectations since signing on a perm. 

With him apparently being offered a new contract, all be it a lower wage, do people think offering him a new contract is the right thing to do? For me, I would release and look for a young hungry aggressive lower league left back to offer competition to Pring.

When COD was released NP said that sometimes a player needs to move on for both them and the club, I thought Jay would be in the same boat, it doesn’t seem to be the case.

IMO Get rid............he is not worth his salary...........and often flatters to deceive.   It is hard to believe that he is a product of the Chelsea Academy?

On 02/01/2023 at 12:44, Vidal said:

Very simple. No. He can't beat his man, can't cross and is a liability in the air. Much better value available for far less salary

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Simon79 said:

Most definitely, but like with all things now, as long as the finances make sense. & that probably means a fair % drop for Jay, maybe on a longer term? He won’t struggle to find a club if he leaves, that’s for sure! COYR 

Not so sure about him finding a new club as he gets targeted by juts about every team we play.

I've never believed he's a Pearson type player - just look at the teams he's built.

To pick the obvious example, his Leicester team who won the Championship - imo he sees Cam Pring as Paul Konchesky, having similar attributes - good physique, doesn't shirk a tackle, decent in the air, defensively sound but got a good engine, good left peg and can do a bit going forward. And he can fill in at LCB in an emergency. That's a far more rounded player than Dasilva.

(George Tanner has all the same attributes to play the same role on the Right hand side, just needs to improve going forward or, perhaps, become more confident doing so at this level. Then he'll be Ritchie de Laet. As we already have Matty James, we'll then only need a Michael Keane, a Wes Morgan, a Danny Drinkwater, a Ben Marshall (who he?), an Anthony Knockaert, a David Nugent and a Chris Wood.)   

And don't forget this from the fan Q&A which was not long after the Millwall home defeat:

Q: "Nige, why do we always struggle against big, physical teams?"

A: "Because they're bigger and more physical than us"

Q: "OK, do you want a big, physical team?"

A: "Yes"

So there's your answer. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

On 02/01/2023 at 17:06, cidered abroad said:

Know this as a fact?

I believe that his size and the fact that he can't use his right foot, lets him down. Not strong enough as a left back and not creative enough as a wing back. I would prefer someone a harder as a defender and creative as an attacker.

Scott golbourne part 2

Wouldnt say he's been a flop but compared to his loan spell hasn't hit those heights. I remember at the time we were laughing getting 15m for Kelly and buying JD for around 2-3m? I think it was. Both of them were battling it out for the left back spot and I think most of us agreed JD won that fight, but we all knew Kelly would become a CB in time. It felt back then we'd done so well getting a big chunk for Kelly and seemingly replacing him with a much better option. Think we gave Chelsea 15 million that summer for Palmer, Kalas and Dasilva... can't say we've got anywhere near value for money. Another Ashton masterclass.. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Malago said:

No player can give 100%, 100% of the time.  The problem with Jay is, you’re lucky if you get 70/80% effort 50% of the time.  Nige talked about players coasting through games.  For me Dasilva is a prime example of that.

In my opinion he has never been the same since he has had all of the shin splint issues. 

• Like 2

On 03/01/2023 at 16:23, Merrick's Marvels said:

I've never believed he's a Pearson type player - just look at the teams he's built.

To pick the obvious example, his Leicester team who won the Championship - imo he sees Cam Pring as Paul Konchesky, having similar attributes - good physique, doesn't shirk a tackle, decent in the air, defensively sound but got a good engine, good left peg and can do a bit going forward. And he can fill in at LCB in an emergency. That's a far more rounded player than Dasilva.

(George Tanner has all the same attributes to play the same role on the Right hand side, just needs to improve going forward or, perhaps, become more confident doing so at this level. Then he'll be Ritchie de Laet. As we already have Matty James, we'll then only need a Michael Keane, a Wes Morgan, a Danny Drinkwater, a Ben Marshall (who he?), an Anthony Knockaert, a David Nugent and a Chris Wood.)   

And don't forget this from the fan Q&A which was not long after the Millwall home defeat:

Q: "Nige, why do we always struggle against big, physical teams?"

A: "Because they're bigger and more physical than us"

Q: "OK, do you want a big, physical team?"

A: "Yes"

So there's your answer. 

Hmm wasn't that a straightish 4-4-2 side?

Unsure a side wins this League or usually gets up with that set-up these days.