IGNORED

Ipswich Table A Bid For Nicky Maynard ?

redcityman

1.5m for an international and African champions league player, albeit untested in English football, and 2m for a league one player......which one is valued realistically ?

That does show the inflated prices of english football, but one is a safer bet than the other. What I don't quite understand is that it seems to me these 2 are pretty much like for like - ie nippy out and out goal scorers rather than a target man or bag of tricks which we have catered for already. If we spent about 3 million on 2 new strikers you would have thought they would be first choices, but I can imagine that if you were playing sheffield united away on a cold tuesday night then these 2 together with Adebola on the bench wouldnt really be the answer.

Si.

That does show the inflated prices of english football, but one is a safer bet than the other. What I don't quite understand is that it seems to me these 2 are pretty much like for like - ie nippy out and out goal scorers rather than a target man or bag of tricks which we have catered for already. If we spent about 3 million on 2 new strikers you would have thought they would be first choices, but I can imagine that if you were playing sheffield united away on a cold tuesday night then these 2 together with Adebola on the bench wouldnt really be the answer.

Si.

They wouldn't necessarily play straight up the middle though would they? stick one out wider, play another up the middle with trunds / dele maybe? bringing the pair of them in, plus what we have already gives GJ lots of options (for cold, wet tuesdays and near-tropical early / late season saturdays!)

Crewe fans saying that we are close to matching the 2m - not sure how much they know, they probably have their resident "ITK" supporters as well...

Maynard with Crewe on training camp in Bulgaria at the moment so nothing happening soon anyway.

1.5m for an international and African champions league player, albeit untested in English football, and 2m for a league one player......which one is valued realistically ?

About par for the course for the respective markets I would think but you never know the value until you sign a player and see how he performs I suppose. I notice Crewe are looking for £2m plus add-ons, presumably sell on clause, extra payments for appearances, goals, promotion etc. so the real cost could be a lot more in the long term.

That does show the inflated prices of english football, but one is a safer bet than the other.

Si.

On paper maybe but there are no guarantees with any player. Varney for instance scored a lot fewer goals than Bednar, who had not played in English football. Eastwood didn't deliver the goods either despite a good record in League 1. We'll have to wait and see.

I foresee; a slightly improved offer with the old "add ons" could well do the trick; YOUNG GUN lets go for it :fingerscrossed: this has got my attension :sign09:

Was my first choice forward signing at the start of the close season and personally I'm delighted that we are trying to get him.

personally speaking for £2m I would definately go for him.

:noexpression: We agree :o

He'll go for a lot less than £2m. They play the same game with whatever starlet comes off their production line every summer.

Last year it was Varney who, contrary to some opinions on here came 3rd in Charlton's player of the year awards, eventually went for £1.5m with another £1m based on appearances despite Crewe trying to force an auction at the £3m mark. Who could blame such a small club trying to get the best price for their prised asset and they're trying to do the same now.

Fact is, £2m in the current market is a fair price for Maynard. Crewe are desparate for a sale and if this drags on then their financial predicament it will force them to sell at a much more reasonable price.

I for one would pay the money for him now ahead of the Egyptian, Tyson or whoever but that's just going on me rating him the best out of the three having not seen/knowing nothing about the Egyptian.

Maynard bid rejected, City Emad for it?

It is believed that City have had a bid for Crewe hotshot Nicky Maynard rejected, as his club look for a fee of in the region of £2million. Many clubs are battling it out for the signature of the highly rated striker, with Ipswich also reported to have had a bid rejected whilst Hull, Middlesbrough and Stoke have shown an interest...

Maynard bid rejected, City Emad for it?

It is believed that City have had a bid for Crewe hotshot Nicky Maynard rejected, as his club look for a fee of in the region of £2million. Many clubs are battling it out for the signature of the highly rated striker, with Ipswich also reported to have had a bid rejected whilst Hull, Middlesbrough and Stoke have shown an interest...

bit late mate see other thread :farmer:

All of them could certainly do alot worse for a new club. Be good to offer some young ones as loans, though its a far way to travel.

I couldn't think of a better place to loan someone like Plummer or Artus than up there. It's the best school for youngsters in the lower leagues and teaches them how to get the best out of themselves both on and off the pitch. Can only see that benefitting us and JMW travelled further to play for Tranmere last year.

Loan exchange would benefit us but I doubt Crewe would accept it. Also, would we want to loan our players to a club who are more than likely going down, how big of an impact would that be for Artus or Plummer in their first league season?

I'd be tempted to do a straight swap if increased our chances.

As you know we had a bid rejected for him the

other day which is disapointing becuase personally

i think he would be a great addition to the squad!

but i want to know what you think and who would

you play alongside him?

also do you think he would be worth 2million pounds??

:englandsmile4wf:

I think 1.5m with some add ons will get Maynard. I suspect that we have gone in with a cheeky bid to start with. Time will tell.

If we have gone in with a cheeky bid, we'll have to start getting serious soon as with Ipswich bidding, and a host of other clubs interested, I very much doubt that Crewe will accept much less than £2 million.

If we have gone in with a cheeky bid, we'll have to start getting serious soon as with Ipswich bidding, and a host of other clubs interested, I very much doubt that Crewe will accept much less than £2 million.

I really hope we are going to get serious because every one else is and again when signing strikers we seem to be incapable of getting on it with it and getting who we want.

Thoughts? I reckon he'll join Ipswich.

I'd probably go along with that.

Despite our finish last season Ipswich are still above us in the pecking order for signing players.

That said, I wouldn't underestimate GJ's persuasive powers.

Is he related to the Maynard toffee producing company?

if so get him in.

it will only be a mild irritation if turns out to be pants.

we want better food and, yesssssssssssssss, snakkos at the big Gate,. yeahhhhhhhhhh.

Raving bonkers. :tumbleweed:

let me outta this purple room with no doors or windows.

Archived