IGNORED

City Set To Make Statment Today Regarding Meteb

gary cornes

Yeah good point...why does everybody feel City should continuously update the fans? especially given the reaction on here to any kind of comment from the club.

What is the point saying anything until things are confirmed? if they updated all the time then people would moan that the club are telling us things that don't work out at the end of the line.

Basically I know it is hard, but what I am saying is, lets just have a little bit of calm and wait for an official announcement from the club. I am sure we will know in the near future.

now I am going back to bitching and moaning and holding my phone just in case I miss an official text! blimey how did I get to the stage where City can effect my life even out of season!

Why should a football club update it's fans? I suppose you've got a point there. This is 2008 football where the fan is just an inconvenience to be taken for granted and who should just hand over his/her five hundred sheets for the season and shut the **** up whilst the club attends to the real business of acting lapdog to the corporates and paying mediocre players more in a fortnight than most of it's fans earn in a year. The fact that a fan hands over good money for a season ticket whilst his mortgage is two hundred notes a month higher than it was a few months back perhaps and the fact that he scrimps and saves to get his ar$e up to glamourous places like Barnsley, Doncaster and Preston doesn't entitle them to any information whatsoever does it?

Just remember that some people have got longer memories. I would assume that there will be at least 3,500 NEW season ticket holders this season who will be "having a look" and who could easily be lost if things go badly. Remember that there are many people with City World and City Foundation subscriptions who may take the view that if the club cannot be bothered to inform them on matters they consider to be important then they cannot be bothered to throw money at the club. Many supporters like to feel as though they are a valued part of the club. Just a thought.

I can't believe GJ / Bcfc are getting stick over this.

If you paid a fortune for a brand new car and signed the papers etc and you found out that before you picked it up, someone had driven it for a day.....what would you do ????? I would rip up the paperwork as it is no longer the same condition that you signed to buy. It is a matter of princible.

Ask yourself: what would we be saying if he'd broken his leg on Sunday? Please come and join us, even though you were in breach of contract and have knacked your leg? I think not. So why should City behave differently just because he's fit? There are issues here bigger than one player, it's about who's boss, and people doing what they are told / contractually obliged to do - eg you don't get Basso going out on a Saturday at 3pm and deciding he fancies a bit of glory and swapping places with Adebola.

This might all be another conspiracy to "out" a mole !

On the other hand I don't think the idea that GJ & SL are a little apart on how to resolve this is as stupid as it sounds...

They both spent a lot of time chatting to each other in the stand at Hereford on Tues night

Not saying they wouldn't have normally spent a long time chatting anyway - but it was clear they were in deep discussions about "things" BCFC

Well i suppose you have to put yourself in SL, CS and GJs shoes (will GJ's fit? :D ) to try to understand the lack of official news.

Like i said, it can only mean negotions are ongoing with respect to Meteb n Mifsud...we'll know when they know.

One thing you can be certain about is they will be trying to resolve this as quick as possible, if there is anything to resolve of course :shifty:

I don't think they are keeping news from us to spite us, but i can certainly feel like it!

I'm sorry, but this is nonsense! Johnston can only come out of this stronger if he deals with it professionally and takes the player anyway. That would be a sign of strength. Stamping your feet like Captain Mainwaring and cancelling the deal will only make him look weak and rather pathetic.

I can't imagine that Premier League boardrooms are the slightest bit interested in this.

No, I can't imagine Man Utd allowing the present situation to happen. They would not have allowed the situation to arise in the first place - they would probably have had a club official stuck to the player's side from the moment the deal was agreed to the moment he is fully signed up. Make no mistake, it is Bristol City who will come out of this looking stupid. We have the chance to complete one of the most important signings in the club's history, and it is in jeopardy because Gary Johnston cannot manage his way out of a storm in a teacup. All managers have to face this sort of situation, and the answer is not to sack the player. The club needs to grow up very quickly if you ask me.

What planet are you on - kicking the egyption out would make johnson look stronger than Alex Ferguson regarding the Ronaldo fiasco. This guy looks and sounds like another Mido, i'd rather my season ticket money was spent on somebody who cann play for the team.

Isn't he legally our player now? I thought the contract didn't come into effect this Monday - 21st. If that is so it IS OUR FAULT as we didn't make a contract that came into effect Immediately! If we didn't want him to play one last game - the contact should of come into effect last Wednesday not the Monday.

I don't see how he will not be coming to City - 4 Days still no statement from the club. GJ has said he wants 2 strikers. And from what I can gather he was officially a City player from Monday. - I don't see how we can cancell his contract without loosing £1.5million pounds over something that was our fault in the first place. - If he was a City player from Wednesday then his previous club and the player should both be fined. Either way i don't see us chucking away our £1.5 million - the only way we get that back if Metaeb does not get a work permit.

BUT if you liked the car enough I'm sure you would have doubts about leaving it after all the time you had spent looking at it! You'd be angry and rightly so. Id ask for abit of the price off and another service but would not loose intrest! :icecream:

But i would, you call it biting your nose off to spite your face but i call it self respect.

We've been led a merry dance in my view - the agent, player & club have wound us in hook, line & sinker. Loads of free publicity trying to attract a more advantageous offer. Their resolve was probably strengthened by Wigan's payment of megabucks for a season long loan.

As much as I would like to have signed the fella given our desperate need for a quality striker, I think addressing that need is clouding our judgement. Looking at the situation:-

he's had a season long strop and scored 5 goals

he'll have a tantrum if he's not selected or subed

liklihood he won't adjust to our culture

his agents will be touting him around to other clubs as soon as he arrives and sticking their oar in constantly

can't speak the language

.... all adds up to a massive gamble.

Don't think Mifsud is the replacement ... more of an 'upgraded' Carle sub to me. Hopefully, we won't end up with the 3rd/4th choice again and there's a close second that we're lining up!

This has come from my mate how works around the corner from AG. There are rumours that GJ is going to make a statment about Meteb today. rumours saying Mifsud is the replacement for Meteb.

So, was this announcement delayed or was I correct in my initial assumption that when the club are going to make a statement they don't pop around to local businesses in the area and give their staff advanced notice?

Seriously, why do people post with supposed inside knowledge that is based on absolutely nothing.

I want to play devils advocate here now. Right here's the thing i am the number one striker in africa i have the fans of one of the continents (sp) biggest clubs falling at my feet and my club don't really want to sell me i had the chance of prem football last season with boro but something went wrong then btw they wanted to pay 2 mill for me i saw their nice big stadium by the side of the river. 1 year down the line i haer that Gary johnson wants to sign me for Bristol City a team i have not heard of before but their very wealthy chairman and CEO talk up the place and tell me how historically great it is and how they have plans for a new staddium soon and want to get to the premier league this year so i go along and speak to the very nice Mr Johnson and have a look at the facilities at BCFC. the stadium is not whati had expected after seeing the Riverside the town is very nice and does have good historical links but to be honest i don't see them getting 100,000 fans in like at Al Ahly and them all screaming my name and being in love with me so i don't understand english to well and happy to take some pics with them and interview with my interpretor and say if i like to sign i will have to play well and score a lot of goals for City. On the plane home i tell my agent that i don't like Bristol the stadium is very small and also i don't like england maybe so much the same problem as last year in Middlesborough a small club with big ambition and i want to play for big english club like Arsenal or Spurs or maybe a Proper Prem club not a small club because i am the best Striker in Africa.

Nothing more than my thoughts to be honest i think he was too polite to say straight away

I want to play devils advocate here now. Right here's the thing i am the number one striker in africa i have the fans of one of the continents (sp) biggest clubs in africa falling at my feet and my club don't really want to sell me i had the chance of prem football last season with boro but something went wrong then btw they wanted to pay 2 mill for me i saw their nice big stadium by the side of the river. 1 year down the line i haer that Gary johnson wants to sign me for Bristol City a team i have not heard of before but their very wealthy chairman and CEO talk up the place and tell me how historically great it is and how they have plans for a new staddium soon and want to get to the premier league this year so i go along and speak to the very nice Mr Johnson and have a look at the facilities at BCFC. the stadium is not whati had expected after seeing the Riverside the town is very nice and does have good historical links but to be honest i don't see them getting 100,000 fans in like at Al Ahly and them all screaming my name and being in love with me so i don't understand english to well and happy to take some pics with them and interview with my interpretor and say if i like to sign i will have to play well and score a lot of goals for City. On the plane home i tell my agent that i don't like Bristol the stadium is very small and also i don't like england maybe so much the same problem as last year in Middlesborough a small club with big ambition and i want to play for big english club like Arsenal or Spurs or maybe a Proper Prem club not a small club because i am the best Striker in Africa.

Nothing more than my thoughts to be honest i think he was too polite to say straight away

You think he needed to come on a 5 hour flight to check us out?.. he could have covered all your points by a few clicks with the mouse. This would / is a good move for the lad. He may be a good or great footballer in africa but he is unproven in europe. BCFC were prepared to take a calculated gamble on him. For 1.5 mill it looked about the right price for both seller and buyer. BCFC are either going up with him aboard or he will be spotted and snapped up. Either way, its a good move.

I think you seriously underestimate the average intelligence of other continents in their knowledge of our domestic game; they knew all about BCFC before during and after the Meteb visit.

If he signs permanently for us, he can play against who he likes.

Not necessarily. When we sold Christian Roberts to Swindon, he was unable to play against us in any competition throughout the remainder of that season. It all depends on what and how the contract and terms of sale are.

I want to play devils advocate here now. Right here's the thing i am the number one striker in africa i have the fans of one of the continents (sp) biggest clubs falling at my feet and my club don't really want to sell me i had the chance of prem football last season with boro but something went wrong then btw they wanted to pay 2 mill for me i saw their nice big stadium by the side of the river. 1 year down the line i haer that Gary johnson wants to sign me for Bristol City a team i have not heard of before but their very wealthy chairman and CEO talk up the place and tell me how historically great it is and how they have plans for a new staddium soon and want to get to the premier league this year so i go along and speak to the very nice Mr Johnson and have a look at the facilities at BCFC. the stadium is not whati had expected after seeing the Riverside the town is very nice and does have good historical links but to be honest i don't see them getting 100,000 fans in like at Al Ahly and them all screaming my name and being in love with me so i don't understand english to well and happy to take some pics with them and interview with my interpretor and say if i like to sign i will have to play well and score a lot of goals for City. On the plane home i tell my agent that i don't like Bristol the stadium is very small and also i don't like england maybe so much the same problem as last year in Middlesborough a small club with big ambition and i want to play for big english club like Arsenal or Spurs or maybe a Proper Prem club not a small club because i am the best Striker in Africa.

All well and good - but would you buy the car that everyone is trying to sell or swap it for 5 of Meteb's camels, because he won't need them if he moves to England!

You would if you were spending £1.5m on it ;)

Take your point, but.....if I was spending that much on a car it would be cos it was some amazing machine that was so rare and hard to get hold of that I wouldn't walk away, after years of searching, just cos it had 50 more miles on it! And that's what I don't understand about this situation. Why would GJ and the club go to all the trouble, all the expense, all the hassle that they've had over the summer if this wasn't a player that he felt could really do a job for us. And if that's the case why would we just walk away from it.

Not necessarily. When we sold Christian Roberts to Swindon, he was unable to play against us in any competition throughout the remainder of that season. It all depends on what and how the contract and terms of sale are.

Yeah but there is a difference between signing somebody midway through the season and before it starts, would seem really odd to have it in the contract if you sign at this stage. Though I guess its a pointless debate at this stage as the fine details of any contract are pure guess work.

I seriously doubt that the Club will be making any announcement on Emad in the near future and have probably been advised not to by their legal people.

Having read countless posts on the subject I am still not sure what contracts were signed with whom and by whom.

There appears to be one between us and the player (including a no-play clause), which he broke (either by intention or by mis-communication) but was there any such contract or clause with his current employers and if there was not , could the player refuse to play if asked.

I don't think he will be joining us and I don't think City want to be the first to publicly make that decision.

Should Mifsud sign (and I would be delighted) then I don't think any mention of Emad will be made in the same announcement, so as to make it clear that the two transactions are not linked.

This is more than about the two clubs and the players, as a lot of people would have gone to great pains and expense to get this far and legal claims running into many thousands may be made against whoever is held to be at fault.

Yeah good point...why does everybody feel City should continuously update the fans? especially given the reaction on here to any kind of comment from the club.

What is the point saying anything until things are confirmed? if they updated all the time then people would moan that the club are telling us things that don't work out at the end of the line.

Basically I know it is hard, but what I am saying is, lets just have a little bit of calm and wait for an official announcement from the club. I am sure we will know in the near future.

now I am going back to bitching and moaning and holding my phone just in case I miss an official text! blimey how did I get to the stage where City can effect my life even out of season!

Hmm, an official announcement along the lines of....`Meteb is now a City player...`, oh hang on, we`ve had that one already.

PDG

Hmm, an official announcement along the lines of....`Meteb is now a City player...`, oh hang on, we`ve had that one already.

PDG

...but give it another day or two and the people paying 25p a text for the SMS service can pay again for the same message and it will be new news. It's all a part of Colin's masterplan and how we are now paying the transfer fee in two installments. :whistle:

If Meteb and Mifsud both become BCFC players tomorrow I will be a very happpy man ! :fingerscrossed:

Totally agree with you there.

Also, I am going by that no announcement means nothing to say. The fact it's now almost Friday and the game was 5, almost 6 days ago that Emad Meteb will become a City player still.

If the club now announce otherwise, I for one will be furious it's taken so long to announce this fact when it's been in the press half way around the world and here in the UK that we have dropped the signing.

MM

If city sign him now then it would send mixed messages in to our dressing room and could upset or

disrupt a tight nit squad who are drilled on discipline and it will test GJ discipline stance if an exception

is made on signing a player who has disobeyed orders before he has even kicked a ball for us, what else

will he disobey once he gets here? is it worth taking a risk on one player upsetting 20 odd others by getting ''the

special one'' treatment??? he may well be a great player but if he can't take orders it will pee off the rest of the squad

who up till now have not been allowed to take the piss, this transfer has not felt right from the start and i'm not sure we'll

sign him, purley on GJ's Discipline record and him never backing down on the Discipline score ie: stewart, phillips,

this will test that record for sure...

i'd say thanks but no thanks.

• Admin

Personally the Ronaldo transfer was doing my head in, everytime you put on Sky sports or Talk Sport it seemed to be discussed finally that all died down and down we have our own soap opera that we can't escape !

One thing that people should remember is this Sunday is the open day where Steve Lansdown is having an open forum, knowing how honest Steve is in these situations I am sure that some more info will come out on Sunday (if not before), even if we get a "sorry can't discuss this because . . . . . . . "

IF anyone gets the chance and is going down remember to ask the question to end all this nonsense PLEASE !

Personally the Ronaldo transfer was doing my head in, everytime you put on Sky sports or Talk Sport it seemed to be discussed finally that all died down and down we have our own soap opera that we can't escape !

One thing that people should remember is this Sunday is the open day where Steve Lansdown is having an open forum, knowing how honest Steve is in these situations I am sure that some more info will come out on Sunday (if not before), even if we get a "sorry can't discuss this because . . . . . . . "

IF anyone gets the chance and is going down remember to ask the question to end all this nonsense PLEASE !

don't worry i'm sure there will be many wanting to know me included :bruce_h4h:

According to good old Arny on another forum the Meteb deal is over and Mifsud will sign today

He also says price is 700k made up of lots of stuff - 300k up front and rest add ons

Seems a very good price to me with plenty left over in bank for other signings .... if any more plates are spinning!

If this is the case then it would mean we would able to sign both players but the fees you have quoted seem a little to good to be true consiering the figure banded about in the press is £1.5m.

I agree el ahly take part of the blame but how you can say Meteb is the innocent party in all of this is wrong. Meteb agreed with Johnson not to play on Sunday, no one held a gun to his head and it appears from the reports coming out of Egypt that Meteb was more than happy to make one final appearance.

I'm sorry but Meteb has to take equal resposibility with el ahly, he's a grown man and knew what he was doing was the complete oposite of what he'd agreed with Lansdown and Johnson.

There was a story about Zaki who recently signed for Wigan which said " the chairmen had his bodyguards advance on me in a threatening manner and i was fearfull of what they may do." He said this when the deal appeared to fall through but was then resurected.

What many fail to see is they have very powerful rich poeple who run these clubs and rule with an iron fist that quite frankly would make GJ's rules look like a nice comforatble stroll in the park.

So if the chairmen of Al Ahly says your going to play then he would have little choice and we shouldnt lay the blame at the players door.

BTW the story of Zaki was run nationally and on the BBC website.

The money agreed for the player in my opinion was never going to a major sticking point once the player made it clear he wanted to leave to futher his career.

I don't see how everyone keeps saying the Metaeb deal is dead. There has been NO official statement, just speculation from newspapers. I only believe stuff from BCFC and all they have told us is that he is a Bristol City player, nothing else.

I will definatley be one of them!

Archived