IGNORED

Sl Speaks

frenchred

Firstly, why anyone would want to see initial plans of the new stadium is beyond me. As Steve L said, it's only a prototype and by now means finalised so why people are clamouring for pics on here, when it won't end up anything like that, is pointless really.

Personally, I wasn't too impressed with the plans as they are. It looked very similar to the Valley for me and whilst it did look unique, with the architects focusing on the Tobacco Factories style design, I was far from sold.

Ideally, I'd like on Kop style end behind a goal where the roof would be low, create a good atmosphere and be a focal point for the stadium. That was sadly lacking. But, there's plenty of time for this to change and I'm sure it will. Most importantly, it looks like everything's running on time at this moment in time.

Sorry but for the money we are able to spend on this project, what we were shown is about as unique as your going to get.

No East End? Again, they've obviously considered that and there was a similar stand behind the goal. Shallow tiered and with a low roof.

Red bricks I think will look good. As Steve l stated we are in expert hands in terms of design with some of the best architects in the world. They'll certainly look better than the current crop of stadia in this country that look like MFI or B & Q warehouses.

What we were shown were very much DRAFT designs with hardly any detail. They were purely illustrative so let's wait and see.

Impressed with what I saw though, and it seems the vast majority that attended were.

Sorry but how can a open two tier stand with a much higher roof with boxes equal the East End? Not that i think one should be built but what was being shown displayed very little similarity to a traditional end and was dominated by whatever it was splitting the stand in two.

Firstly, why anyone would want to see initial plans of the new stadium is beyond me. As Steve L said, it's only a prototype and by now means finalised so why people are clamouring for pics on here, when it won't end up anything like that, is pointless really.

Personally, I wasn't too impressed with the plans as they are. It looked very similar to the Valley for me and whilst it did look unique, with the architects focusing on the Tobacco Factories style design, I was far from sold.

Ideally, I'd like on Kop style end behind a goal where the roof would be low, create a good atmosphere and be a focal point for the stadium. That was sadly lacking. But, there's plenty of time for this to change and I'm sure it will. Most importantly, it looks like everything's running on time at this moment in time.

Agreed. The design will change a little as time goes on. SL is not going to do this on the cheap, and at the end of it we will have a stadium we can be proud of. Well done once again Mr Lansdown!

All this talk of the stadium - Wasn't the original budget £30m?

Did he definately say 50-60m?

Estimates will continue to rise until contracts have been awarded and final details sorted 4/5 years away at least.

Sorry but how can a open two tier stand with a much higher roof with boxes equal the East End? Not that i think one should be built but what was being shown displayed very little similarity to a traditional end and was dominated by whatever it was splitting the stand in two.

It was a draft design! You are only guessing that the end may have corporate boxes. There's plenty of time to change that. The point is that the club has obviously listened to the fans' feedback so far.

As to saying it looked like The Valley, I think that is a lazy comparison to make.

In fact, other than the fact they both had red seats I'd like to know in architectural terms what the similarities were???

It was a draft design! You are only guessing that the end may have corporate boxes. There's plenty of time to change that. The point is that the club has obviously listened to the fans' feedback so far.

As to saying it looked like The Valley, I think that is a lazy comparison to make.

In fact, other than the fact they both had red seats I'd like to know in architectural terms what the similarities were???

Lazy ... I have not compared it to it to the Valley at all.

You implied that at one end there is a similar stand to the East End and there is obviously not because the East End is a single tier highly enclosed terrace with seats and the design shown yesterday does not share those traits.

Lazy ... I have not compared it to it to the Valley at all.

You implied that at one end there is a similar stand to the East End and there is obviously not because the East End is a single tier highly enclosed terrace with seats and the design shown yesterday does not share those traits.

I was addressing the people that had compared it to The Valley, not you.

I've got news for you...they ain't going to build a stand that is identical to the current East End and they certainly won't be using that same roof design. The proposed stadium did have a stand behind the goal with shallow tiered seating and a low roof - in those respects it was similar to the East End.

Anyway, I maintain that the acoustics in the East End aren't very good. That roof keeps the noise in the stand so that it sounds loud when you're in there. The only reason the East End works in terms of atmosphere is because singers congregate there and are tightly packed in.

I love the East End don't get me wrong but any acoustic engineer will tell you that the design of that stand does not help the noise come onto the pitch.

How lazy? As lazy as your hearing when asking a question that Mr Chairman had already answered for you?

:innocent06:

Is it anything like the mock up that OneCity did in the stadium thread ?

Personally, I didn't think it looked like that. The two grandstands looked like smaller versions of the steep one at Old Trafford, the initial block of seating nearest the pitch was a bowl and the enclosed look of the stadium on the whole appeared a tad like the Valley - but that was just my take on it.

Is it anything like the mock up that OneCity did in the stadium thread ?

I thought it was quite different as the roof structure was of differing levels, there was no single tier stand behind any goal, the gradients on the lower tiers appeared very shallow, roof apart it also had a very uniform whisper it quietly bowl like appearance.

Having just seen some enhanced photos, the concept is certainly unique !

But I wouldn't have thought that would be the final version as it looks unfinished due to the different roof lines - but that is where the additional seating comes in. Literally raising the roof.

As a concept it looks fine to me but I'd hate to end up with something exactly like it.

Can someone please PM or provide a link to somewhere where I can see these pictures?

And me i don't understand why SL is keeping it so secretive.

Caus anytime we have any info, we go over the top with it. People are already complaining there's no east end type kop thing, when it's a preliminary design.

The bigger news and the relevant news which we should be responding to, is the fact it's looking like it's actually going to happen, we'll have a unique and high quality built stadium from top architects. Not the fact that ooh the stands are far back or the stands are one or two tiers at the minute.

I would suggest it looks more like a small Wembley but with low end stands and side roofs a bit like Manchester Utds South stand.

I went there this year for our away game (anybody else go along with the buy tickets at gate ps u will miss the 1st 15 mins as Ambrose scores...)

Bloody impressive ground, pure Premier League. Shame the team and fans are totally toilet.

becuase these are only inital plans so can be changed and is only minor detail. So the EP would say this is it and everyone would moan or like etc.. but all the same it's not the final product!

What is the point in the plans going public? It's the first prototype which will change drastically in time so unless it's the final drawings of what's going to be built then there's no point in them going to press.

Besides, if people were that bothered they should've gone down to see them for theirselves. The main thing is that it's on schedule and the quality of professionals involved in getting it operational.

Did someone say that the lower tier - which I understand is one continuous bowl - is sunken, so that the four stands appear separate from ground level? If so I think this is a superb idea, and one that I've not heard of before. So from the outside it has the benefits of the traditional look and feel of four separate stands, from the inside we have the good combination of fluidity and tradition which were present in OneCity's excellent plans. Cool.

Differing roof heights is, I guess, necessary if we're going to maintain the look of four separate stands. You can't complain about the roofing being differnt heights, but also demand not to have a bowl.

I think that HOK's previous work looks great. Benfica's ground is incredible.

Only initial reaction - but bravo to all involved.

What is the point in the plans going public? It's the first prototype which will change drastically in time so unless it's the final drawings of what's going to be built then there's no point in them going to press.

Besides, if people were that bothered they should've gone down to see them for theirselves. The main thing is that it's on schedule and the quality of professionals involved in getting it operational.

What's the point in showing them then?

And not everyone can make it at that time.

Did someone say that the lower tier - which I understand is one continuous bowl - is sunken, so that the four stands appear separate from ground level? If so I think this is a superb idea, and one that I've not heard of before. So from the outside it has the benefits of the traditional look and feel of four separate stands, from the inside we have the good combination of fluidity and tradition which were present in OneCity's excellent plans. Cool.

That is correct. It will look impressive.

Just to mention as well, Steve L did do a straw poll at the Open Day and 95% of attendees put their hands up (including Mr Tin!) when asked 'do you like it?'

When he asked 'who doesn't?' one bloke did but then couldn't provide a reason for why...

That is correct. It will look impressive.

Just to mention as well, Steve L did do a straw poll at the Open Day and 95% of attendees put their hands up (including Mr Tin!) when asked 'do you like it?'

When he asked 'who doesn't?' one bloke did but then couldn't provide a reason for why...

I tentatively put my hand up. I'm still very much on the fence but recognise the plans will evolved a lot further down the line.

Archived