IGNORED

Crewe Alexandra

westred1

He's 21, his first time away from home and comfort zone, he has to get used to the higher level of football, get to know his colleagues, he's probably living out of a suitcase, he broke his leg last season, I doubt he was as fit as our boys when he joined (Trundle last season "I've never been so fit" - and that was April/May!), big price tag, pressure from "fans"...list goes on but I'm tired.

Hell let's send him to Cheltenham on loan :rolleyes:

Not sounding smart but he scored 11 in 7 in league one, now whilst I appreciate he is a good player, you wont get that sort of space in our league. He did play okay on Sat but his chances came on counter attacks, Crewe will sit back here and have already marked him out the game. I'm sure the orders were tonight to not give him an inch. End of the day Crewe know his weakness' and know how to get him out the game, and thats what they will do.

I'm not saying he should be dropped, I'm saying he should be subbed as he has no presence in this evenings game, and they are completely putting him out the game.

And a good percentage of our players who did well last season also did well in League 1 (like Basso, Orr, McCallister etc).

I know what you're saying but give the guiy more than 45 minutes on a ground where he did well last season. And isn't he up against League 1 opposition tonight?

you'll get roasted for that !! but I probably agree, Trundle should have played with brooker tonight. Maynard needs to improve or he could me a very costly mistake.

So when you start a new job you perform like you've been there forever do you? Everyone needs time to settle in to a new environment and Maynard is no different. If he hadn't scored or played well then i could understand a wee bit of criticism, but he has proved that he can do the business for us and, in my opinion, he will only get better as the season rolls on and start to produce performances that we desire week in, week out. He had one real opportunity Saturday and had the defender not raced back onto the line to clear, we would have raved about what a great poacher he was.

Give him time and he will shine.

Not sounding smart but he scored 11 in 7 in league one, now whilst I appreciate he is a good player, you wont get that sort of space in our league. He did play okay on Sat but his chances came on counter attacks, Crewe will sit back here and have already marked him out the game. I'm sure the orders were tonight to not give him an inch. End of the day Crewe know his weakness' and know how to get him out the game, and thats what they will do.

I'm not saying he should be dropped, I'm saying he should be subbed as he has no presence in this evenings game, and they are completely putting him out the game.

You are of course right, Trundles goal record outside of league one is fant.....oh, wait, damn..

Brilliant, what a footie genius brain you must have..so, maynard only scores on the odd rebound.. Must re-visit the 3 goals in the friendly, plus all of his Crewe goals to look. Out of interest, and on the basis you are not in Crewe, how many games have you seen him play?

I went to Royal Antwerp, Blackpool, Derby, and I went to Peterborough.

I was working on Saturday for the Sun at Shrewsbury. Plus I work on Racing related issues in the week and only filled in at football last week as a mate who was meant to be there was very ill.

I have been a season ticket holder for 8 years including 5 years living in Reading, plus go to about 15 away games a year.

Oh and the fact I write about sport for a living, I would hazard a guess I would know far more about football than you, plus given I played for 4 years, I think I am entitled to an opinion. If you read my comments, I said I was disappointed by the lad and felt we could have had better options tonight.

I was working on Saturday for the Sun at Shrewsbury. Plus I work on Racing related issues in the week and only filled in at football last week as a mate who was meant to be there was very ill.

I have been a season ticket holder for 8 years including 5 years living in Reading, plus go to about 15 away games a year.

Oh and the fact I write about sport for a living, I would hazard a guess I would know far more about football than you, plus given I played for 4 years, I think I am entitled to an opinion. If you read my comments, I said I was disappointed by the lad and felt we could have had better options tonight.

Does The Sun know? :innocent06:

Well you need a new career path because you're wrong about Maynard.

You are of course right, Trundles goal record outside of league one is fant.....oh, wait, damn..

Thats not what I'm saying, I think Trundle would create more opportunity in a game like this evenings, whilst Maynard relies on service which isn't happening, it's like having a 5th gear on a 30mph zone. It's not needed. You need to respond to what is presented to you. I have no doubt Maynard is a quality player but I just think tonight's game is not going to see him in his best light, and especially when one, nil down chasing the game. There will be very little space and you need players with moments of genius and pure quality. Something McIndoe, Trundle, Brooker and Bradley Orr have. Those players would have been better options pushing forward in this game.

So far he has grabbed one, and anyone could have scored it.

Kevin Phillips hasn't had a kick for Birmingham this year asides from the three goals that he scored and anyone could've scored them. Fact is, if you aren't providing chances you won't score and if Phillips was in this side I bet he'd be on the same amount as Maynard after three games.

Give the boy a chance.

Does The Sun know? :innocent06:

I would like to think so, given they sanctioned it !!

As for a new career path, nah think I'm quite capable of my job. If people read they will see I'm NOT doubting MAYNARD'S ability, I'm just doubting whether he is the right player for this game and at the moment he really isn't getting into it, which doesn't suggest I'm wrong.

Guest bigboydolman

Don't rise to them, they a "bully" boys who have never kicked a ball.

Anyone who doesn't agree with them thy gang up on, you are entittled to your opinion and to be honest anyone with a brain can understand your point although it is early days.

Maynard for the record in my opinion will be ok, he was overpriced and was very poor against Peterboro and Derby.

and if we are having to justify ourselves I have been a guest on HTV soccer twice with Alan Walsh, Sid Lawrence, Tommy Hutchinson, Jed Pitman et al, that doesn't make my opinion worth any more or less but does I hope qualify it in some way.

I have also managed against GJ or more than one occasion but never lost !

the jury is out on Maynard but it is early days. I would have played Trundle tonight because he is quality and would have benefitted from 60 mins against crewe.

fingers crossed for a win.

Well you need a new career path because you're wrong about Maynard.

I think he is spot on, but, obviously time will tell.

Probably is too early, however, many performances like Derby (minus the goal) and many will be saying it.

£2.25M is a lot of money for a player who clearly lacks the ability to make things happen for himself or cannot collect the ball just 10 yards deeper without being knocked off of it every single time.

As for a new career path, nah think I'm quite capable of my job. If people read they will see I'm NOT doubting MAYNARD'S ability, I'm just doubting whether he is the right player for this game and at the moment he really isn't getting into it, which doesn't suggest I'm wrong.

In Kachina we trust

:tumbleweed:

and if we are having to justify ourselves I have been a guest on HTV soccer twice with Alan Walsh, Sid Lawrence, Tommy Hutchinson, Jed Pitman et al, that doesn't make my opinion worth any more or less but does I hope qualify it in some way.

I have also managed against GJ or more than one occasion but never lost !

Iffy is that you? :rofl2br:

Kevin Phillips hasn't had a kick for Birmingham this year asides from the three goals that he scored and anyone could've scored them. Fact is, if you aren't providing chances you won't score and if Phillips was in this side I bet he'd be on the same amount as Maynard after three games.

Give the boy a chance.

One of Phillips' was with his back to goal and pure quality strike, there is a difference between Maynard and Phillips and that is Phillips has alot of strength and can work very well with little space. He also comes forward and hangs back and is involved in build ups. If Maynard was coming off the bench I would quite agree but he is playing 90 minutes and creating minimal effect.

I just think we could be a stronger team without him tonight, where we can get players who will get stuck in and try and create something out of nothing. At the moment Adebola is our only presence and that is because of his strength and arial ability and ability to hold the ball.

Now Adebola has been subbed, I feel a little confused, he shouldn't be subbed when he is our best player on the pitch so far.

My apologies. I read back through the posts again and i realised the point you were trying to make.

I would still disagree with taking him off as it may be harmful to his confidence if he is substituted at his former club. It might not be the greatest reason to keep him on, but i'm sure Johnson will be aware of that scenario. Plus of course that he will have a great desire to score against his fromer team and therefore remains a threat.

I think he is spot on, but, obviously time will tell.

Probably is too early, however, many performances like Derby (minus the goal) and many will be saying it.

£2.25M is a lot of money for a player who clearly lacks the ability to make things happen for himself or cannot collect the ball just 10 yards deeper without being knocked off of it every single time.

I just thnk its a bit much to buy a player (a very young one at that) and expect him to hit the ground running because of the price. Just think Bergkamp, Henry etc. If he isnt looked after and given time to adjust, it will shoot his confidence.

We need him on the pitch because he is the best striker we have and he could change the game. He has been unlucky with his tally so far.

(Bet he scores now)

Archived