IGNORED

Anyone Doing Anything For St Georges Day?

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Guest WillsbridgeRed

My local's having a theme night, with a band, lots of flag waving and a competition. We're all wearing our England shirts and I've looked forward to it all week!

Anyone doing anything to recognise the one day it's PC to be English?

I will be drinking a few beers. Probably alone as it's hardly important in this country is it?

Not like St Patricks Day when all the english with 1/16th Irish blood suddenly drink Guiness and sing Wild Rover all night is it? :D

Note: this is not knocking the Irish in any way; most of my friends are Irish. It is a dig at the people who would rather make a night of it celebrating another countries patron saint.

I shall of course be buying a bunch of red roses, one to wear and the others to give away and in addition will be sending out around 300 emails to contacts all over the world to remind them that the 23rd is THE day for the ENGLISH and no politically correct prat will stop me flying the flag of St.George ( whatever his connections to, or not to, the English) from my home and from my office.

Our local church is having a proms night and have asked everyone to wear red, white & blue. I asked why the blue and was told St George is Patron Saint of Great Britain. :D I did correct the fellow. Ishall attend wearing a red shirt with a red & white scarf round my neck.

I've placed a large cross of St George in the rear window of my car ready for the morning. On my work PC I have set up a Word document with a red cross of St George in the centre. Above the cross the slogan reads "British by birth" and below the cross it reads "English by the grace of God!".

Tech point; at school the English teacher was adamant that you cannot have a Patron Saint of an inanimate object. Therefore St George is Patron Saint not of England, but of the English people.

Religious point for those who argue he did not exist. Just as there are several St Johns, there are four saints named George. Our Patron is the one who was a member of the Roman army and was put to death for his Christian beliefs in the 4th century.

2 flags of St. George hanging out my front windows all day. Same when England are playing.

If you're going through Southville, you may well spot the abode of Nogbad.

Mind you i'd like to think you wouldn't be able to because there will be hundreds of other houses adorned in the same way.... :D

Note to Neo - yes, it is important and i am very proud that my son will be the flag bearer at a big St. George's Day scout parade on Sunday.

Guest Kojak

glad to see the PC brigade aren't as loud as they are up the M4 in Swindon (that's Swinedown for you wurzels).

Apparantley we aren't aloud to celebrate St Georges day at work because we might offend someone, even though we have no ethnics in the office :@ . Fortunatley it is a dress down day so I will be wearing the England shirt with pride and taking my desktop England flag in to show my pride. :D:P

Anyway HAPPY ST GEORGES DAY to you all :D:dunno:

whos cares if you have ethnics in your office, it is a day for england to celebrate why should haveing foreign peopel in your office make a difference. This country is becoming stupid, we can't do anything. St Patricks day is celebrated all over the world with one of the biggest party's being in New York but St Georges day is just another day top a lot of people

Guest lydneyred

Work have "generously" allowed us to have a casual day with a theme of red, white and blue. Still trying to work out where the blue comes from.

So to teach these rugby-loving geeks here in Gloucester, I have decided to wear my City Shirt which is the proper two colours of St George, with a little bit of blue in the badge if anyone dares comment, though I will point out to them the fact that St George was England and that means red and white.

Tonight, we are planning a BBQ with plenty of English beer, well Thatchers, but its still English.

Though St George was rumoured to be Turkish..............was reading it on ITV this morning.

St George was not Turkish, he was Greek. In those days the Turkic people were Steppe nomads from Asia who were migrating west. What we know today as Turkey was then part of the east Roman or Byzantine Empire and it spoke Greek and had Greek culture.

It wasn't until 1071 that at the battle of Manzikert that the Turks moved into modern Turkey but the area wasn't fully conquered until the 1320s when the Byzantines fell apart.

By then of course George was the English people's patron saint.

Guest LeicesterRed
I shall of course be buying a bunch of red roses, one to wear and the others to give away and in addition will be sending out around 300 emails to contacts all over the world to remind them that the 23rd is THE day for the ENGLISH  and no politically correct prat will stop me flying the flag of St.George ( whatever his connections to, or not to, the English) from my home and from my office.

My sentiments exactly.

My flag is flying and the booze will be flowing later, and hopefully tomorrow night after we`ve whupped Brighton.

For St George and Bristol City!!!

Guest weqprarebetterthanu

Will be in central Sydney wearing the victorious England Rugby jersey and having a couple of beers at circular quay .

Then home in the evening to tune in to the live footie commentarys which start a t midnight here as we are 9 hours ahead!

The dream is still on , that Engalnd win the RWC ,Euro 2004 and QPR go up all in the space of 9 months.

Come on England Come on you Rs

Guest LeicesterRed

Apparantley we aren't aloud to celebrate St Georges day at work because we might offend someone, even though we have no ethnics in the office :

Anyway HAPPY ST GEORGES DAY to you all  :dunno:  :D

A pub up here applied for a licence extension for St Georges day and it was turned down because of the nature of the celebration.

The same pub was allowed an extension for St Patircks day though.

This is utter madness. This is our day, everyone else can have there`s so should we ENGLISH!!

I`M ENGLISH AND PROUD!!!!

Well what do you expect when we're in the grip of stupid people who to all intents and purposes are traitors? Their daft trendy left wing claptrap is in reality anti-English racism and they should be reported to the authorities, but I doubt anything would get done.

Guest weqprarebetterthanu

I am very anti racist but am also very proud to be English and wear the cross of St George.

During the last world cup English people of every colour and religion and background could be seen flying the flag of St George and proud to do so.

This flag belongs to everybody English not just the racists and by decent people proudy displaying we are claiming it back from those who have discraced it home and abroad.

Nobody should mistake respect for others as being un patriotic.

I am very anti racist but am also very proud to be English and wear the cross of St George.

During the last world cup English people of every colour and religion and background could be seen flying the flag of St George and proud to do so.

This flag belongs to everybody English not just the racists and by decent people proudy displaying we are claiming it back from those who have discraced it home and abroad.

How dare you come on this site and say something reasonable that I completely and 100% agree with!

Now bugger off and lose to Plymouth, there's a good boy :D

Guest bristolbred

I recken thet the Bistol City home shirt should be redesigned to incorperate the cross of St. George into it so we can be doubley proud all year round!!!. ^_^

My local pub, up here in Derby has 10 real ales on sale with a St. Georges flavour, so it's great that i am rostered nights this week!!

Touch and go if i make the game tomorrow because of work commitments! :(

But i won't care,

so long as we beat the Brighton!!, and score more than two goals for a change!! ;)

COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!!!.

:D:dunno::D:(;):ph34r::cool::cool::cool::sub::sub:

I have a German mum, an Irish granddad and a French brother in law! and I have fond regard for all those country's and many others to boot, I even like the welsh - god bless them all!

BUT I was born and bred in Bristol and am ENGLISH and proud of it!!

Will have the flags out later!

as has been said before, loving your own country does not mean in any shape or form mean you do not respect or even like others!!

Guest Kojak

That's a fair point you make there QPR. My personal views on race/immigration etc are slightly more complex than that, but that is a debate for another day and another time.

I would like to say however that it has been a product of the media's imagination and the "left-wing trendies" that have contributed to the image that if you are a proud Englishman/woman then you must be a racist. Personally I believe that irrispective of your political views, and indeed ethnic origin, if you can rightfully call yourself an Englishman/woman then it is your duty to celebrate this national day.

Anyway, have good one everyone.....

Guest Fortescue
I'll be returning to my uni in Wales, where I shall hang a St George's cross from my window, and wear my England shirt, cap and trainers with pride all day.
ROFL, good luck mate.

just bought the new england shirt and have been driving through london with my free jjb sports england flag flying out the side of my renault clio with the national anthm blaring... then it cuts to the darkness "thing called love" - the joy of subs...

no-one else seems up for st georges day - besides he wasnt english. robin hood should be patron saint and land of hope and glory the NA.. cue RedGoblin...

God Bless this Land

Simply THE best Country in the World..

I recken thet the Bistol City home shirt should be redesigned to incorperate the cross of St. George into it so we can be doubley proud all year round!!!. :D

Just checked my City shirt. It does have a St George's Cross on it with the legend Season 2003-04 on it.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

"robin hood should be patron saint and land of hope"

Rather than a fraud like him we could have:

Francis Drake

Wellington

lord Nelson

go on www.google.co.uk for something special

Guest LeicesterRed
"robin hood should be patron saint and land of hope"

Rather than a fraud like him we could have:

Francis Drake

Wellington

lord Nelson

How about Isambard Kingdom Brunel??

He`d fit in well with our beloved club.

I`ve been amazed how many folk are displaying the sacred crosss of St George today. It certainly makes one proud, and I don`t care what anyone says, we`re still the greatest country in the world(apart from Blair that is)

Guest Southville Red

My local pub, up here in Derby has 10 real ales on sale with a St. Georges flavour

What flavour would that be? Another of those new trendy ones I guess.

If the "ethnics" are deemed to be citizens of this fair island then they too should be making an effort to integrate and celebrate along with the rest of us.Somehow I doubt that will happen.Just wait until the next test match against their country of origin and see who they support

My point is therefore,who gives a stuff about PC, wear your colours with pride and cobblers to the do gooder cretins who attempt to make us ashamed of our nationality.

:Party27: :Party27: :dunno::D

Archived