IGNORED

Stay Until The End - Value?

Markman

ANYBODY, including Gary Johnson, Steve Lansdown, Louis Carey and whoever else they want to wheel out, who condones chanting at people for leaving a football ground early is a COMPLETE RETARD - end of story. If that includes you then so be it. I fully understand all the arguments about people having their view blocked (which seems to be a particular problem in the Dolman) and do not condone selfish behaviour by the early leavers either. If you want to leave early then get up and get the f00k out of there as quickly as you can without obstructing the view of others.

I was involved in a "situation" last season where some easily led d1ckhead in the Premier seats and trying to look/sound like some kind of hardcase in front of his missus, fresh after the stupid and thoughtless rantings of a certain Gary Johnson on the subject by the way, decided to give me a bit of verbal when I left a game early. What he didn't know was that my mood was not lifted by the fact that I needed to be at the BRI by a certain time to visit my uncle who had undergone serious life threatening surgery to correct a triple hernia which had been complicated by bowel cancer. The "supporter", once he realised my situation and once he realised his own potential situation, totally f00king $hat himself and must have said sorry about a thousand times. His missus looked pretty embarrassed too.

Perhaps one day you and your easily led mates will proudly chant to some bloke in a similar or worse position to the one I was in. Or perhaps you will chant at a group of semi p1$$ed up lads who have had a guts full and simply want to get down the pub early if the game has been poor. When they come over and knock seven bells out of you and your mates in full view of the players with stewards and police wading in how much psychological inspiration do you think the players will get from that?

Like I said, if people are being selfish when leaving the stand then fine, have your say. Otherwise why don't you just shut the f00k up and let people live their own lives as they see fit.

A bit of an unobjective view of the situation i feel. Firstly, Gary Johnson's comments on the subject were hardly stupid and thoughtless, as all he was trying to do was stop an exodus of what is near as dammit half the Dolman well before the final whistle and the subsequent fact that these people who leave early could surely can't be getting behind the team. That's what supporters are there to do, support, aren't they? Quite a reasonable statement in my opinion.

People are being selfish by leaving the stand, particularly when they block other fans views, so the affected people have every right to air their disappontment and if that were to bring a violent response, then it's a sad old world we live in.

I personally sit in the Dolman and wait until five or so minutes after the game before leaving and i sail out of the ground and home. It took me about 20 minutes from my seat to my door in Portishead on Tuesday night, so where is the argument on having to get away unless you have public transport or work commitments (very few must) to achieve?

And i should imagine it is demoralising for the players watching a mass exodus before the final whistle? How would you feel if you were in their shoes watching the paying public do one with five minutes left whilst yiu were still trying to win a game? hardly inspirational is it?

A bit of an unobjective view of the situation i feel. Firstly, Gary Johnson's comments on the subject were hardly stupid and thoughtless, as all he was trying to do was stop an exodus of what is near as dammit half the Dolman well before the final whistle and the subsequent fact that these people who leave early could surely can't be getting behind the team. That's what supporters are there to do, support, aren't they? Quite a reasonable statement in my opinion.

People are being selfish by leaving the stand, particularly when they block other fans views, so the affected people have every right to air their disappontment and if that were to bring a violent response, then it's a sad old world we live in.

I personally sit in the Dolman and wait until five or so minutes after the game before leaving and i sail out of the ground and home. It took me about 20 minutes from my seat to my door in Portishead on Tuesday night, so where is the argument on having to get away unless you have public transport or work commitments (very few must) to achieve?

And i should imagine it is demoralising for the players watching a mass exodus before the final whistle? How would you feel if you were in their shoes watching the paying public do one with five minutes left whilst yiu were still trying to win a game? hardly inspirational is it?

It's a sad old world we live in when a person can't leave a football ground a few minutes early to visit a relative in hospital who they HOPE is still alive after an operation earlier that afternoon isn't it? Or perhaps I got it all wrong and I was being a selfish koont. But regardless of that what gives you and Gary Johnson the right to be judge and jury? People have many different reasons for going to football and certainly do not have to conform to your definition of how they should behave. Like I said, it is wrong if people are being selfish when leaving the ground but once you have paid your £30 you do have the right to leave a few minutes early if you want to. I think the over-riding problem here is in the Dolman Stand because of it's design. I played football myself in front of much smaller crowds than the extremely well paid professionals of Bristol City FC ply their trade in front of and I can honestly say that I never noticed too much of what was going on outside of the football pitch itself.

Gary Johnson's job is to manage a football team, not divide fans (who will be paying their dosh long after he has ridden off into the sunset) to the point that we have one section chanting at and abusing another section.

The shuffle was shorter in the days of the lairy Blocks A & B of the Dolman because that was before the Lower Dolman was built so people could quickly go straight down the steps in front of the stand and pitchside where they blocked no one's view.

It's always gone on - in the 70's the East End would chant "part -time supporters" at the Dolman early leavers every week.

So Noggers tell me about the 70s shuffle was that a kind of dance move down the Dolman in those days?? :innocent06:

It's a sad old world we live in when a person can't leave a football ground a few minutes early to visit a relative in hospital who they HOPE is still alive after an operation earlier that afternoon isn't it? Or perhaps I got it all wrong and I was being a selfish koont. But regardless of that what gives you and Gary Johnson the right to be judge and jury? People have many different reasons for going to football and certainly do not have to conform to your definition of how they should behave. Like I said, it is wrong if people are being selfish when leaving the ground but once you have paid your £30 you do have the right to leave a few minutes early if you want to. I think the over-riding problem here is in the Dolman Stand because of it's design. I played football myself in front of much smaller crowds than the extremely well paid professionals of Bristol City FC ply their trade in front of and I can honestly say that I never noticed too much of what was going on outside of the football pitch itself.

Gary Johnson's job is to manage a football team, not divide fans (who will be paying their dosh long after he has ridden off into the sunset) to the point that we have one section chanting at and abusing another section.

I never once questioned your reason for leaving to visit a sick relative. What gives me the right to be ''judge and jury'' (i think it's more commonly known as an opinion) is the fact that i too pay my season ticket money year after year and i am therefore equally as entitled as anyone to express my feelings on a subject. I don't really know why it's too much to ask for supporters to stay until the end of the game to support the team and not create a distraction which obviously does affect the players, or Johnson wouldn't have said anything about it. The design of the Dolman is the issue, as you don't see anywhere near the level of exodus from the other stands, but it seems to get more ridiculous by the game and i personally can't understand why that number of people do it, outside of the reasons previously mentioned.

Johnsons job is too manage the team but if there is an issue like people leaving early that might be affecting the teams performance he has every right as the manager of the team to mention that situation. And with all due respect the level you played at, as you've admitted, didn't have a couple of thousand people drifing away five minutes from the end, so you weren't likely to notice it.

haha

still going on i see :)

hows about

the eastend sing a couple of songs about our team rather than our fans, rovers, cardiff, rovers and oh our fans?? surely that would help the team more than seeing fans stay behind til the end :innocent06::P

there is nothing anyone CAN do, you cannot stop someone from leaving, that is infact ILLEGAL... false imprisonment!

the only way to make it any better would be to kick people out who wait toward the end of the game, I'm sure the stewards said they were doing that!!! doesnt seem to happen. the stewards can get away with kicking people out... claim for persisitent standing, refusing to take seat etc.. so why don't they spend more time doing there job and protecting people's veiw of the pitch rather than pestering the back row????

the problem of early leavers cannot be stopped, however the problem of veiw blocking can, if the stewarding at ashton gate was not done by day releasers!!!

haha

hows about

the eastend sing a couple of songs about our team rather than our fans, rovers, cardiff, rovers and oh our fans?? surely that would help the team more than seeing fans stay behind til the end :innocent06::P

hows about.. The other three stands just Sing all game and that way the dastardly EE may not be nasty and sing horrible songs to those that leave early?? :whistle:

:sofa: Who will bite first I wonder...

:colder: Geting a bit nippy out aint it!

said the self-appointed spokesman of the anti-eastend-rent-a-mob

Erm...No!

Facts not your strong point flash! I've already said I like the atmosphere the EE brings to the Gate on this very thread! Hardly sounds like anti EE to me.

pity you don't know when to give up

Give up what exactly? If you want to paint me as 'anti-EE' to suit your own agenda then thats your look out.

I just think You need to get your little troops in the EE to focus on supporting the side for 90 minutes rather than abusing fellow fans going about THIER business. Thats my only gripe about the EE and I'll say it again for you very Sloooooowly.

I think the EE is a GOOD thing and adds much need atmosphere to the ground on match day. Just please stop abusing others who choose to go about thing differently than yourselfs. Your no better than any other stand just because you choose to have a different match day experience to others.

That's far more embaressing than someone leaving 2 minutes early.

haha

hows about

there is nothing anyone CAN do, you cannot stop someone from leaving, that is infact ILLEGAL... false imprisonment!

the only way to make it any better would be to kick people out who wait toward the end of the game, I'm sure the stewards said they were doing that!!! doesnt seem to happen. the stewards can get away with kicking people out... claim for persisitent standing, refusing to take seat etc.. so why don't they spend more time doing there job and protecting people's veiw of the pitch rather than pestering the back row????

the problem of early leavers cannot be stopped, however the problem of veiw blocking can, if the stewarding at ashton gate was not done by day releasers!!!

As it happens my and my son's view is obstructed every game by people congregating at the front of the Dolman. They are staying to the end all right, they're just inconsiderate, particularly of kids who can't see. I once asked a steward (with Supervisor on his jacket) to ask people to move, as the Club had said they would. He waved an arm at them vaguely and left it at that. I asked another why stewards did not ask people to move from the gangways as instructed and was advised it wasn't his job to. When I asked what his job was the reply was "To stand here mate". Ho Hum.

Got no problem with people leaving before the end, i am sure they have there reasons. As long as they go asap and don't block the view for the rest of us.

Unfortunately, many don't leave they just loiter at the bottom of the stand.

This debate will no doubt continue untill we move to the new ground.

I just hope access in and out of the new stands are designed in such a way that those who leave early are able to do so without spoiling it for the rest of us!

:disapointed2se:

• Admin

I would have thought that Mansfield (away) on 23/11/02 persuaded everyone to stay until the final whistle.

Plenty of our fans heard the victory on the radio as they headed back, 4-2 down with 3 mins to go, the Tinman hits a penalty on 87 mins, 4-3, Lita equalises in the 90th minute and then Christian Roberts rasps home the winner in injury time. 4-5 what a comeback and the reason not to leave early.

This conversation really does make me laugh, I never have and never will leave a city match before the final whistle. However the bit I don't really get is that when the East end sing to the Dolman stay to the end most people actually are they are just leaving their seat and standing at the fornt in the aisl. I would say that this accounts for 80-90% of those people who get up and walk so the dolman moaners leaving early is sort of blown out the water where as when you see empty seats n the Williams or Ateyo these really are people leaving so I think this is sung at the wrong stand??????

I also have been in the East end this season and people are also leaving there early, I am all for the east end and think it's a positive thing and creates an atmosphere, one thing that some people in their need to realise though is just beacuse they are sat in there does not mean they are anymore of a fan of our club than anyone else, I actually find the song sung at the Dolman embarassing as its often being sung to those people stood in the stand at the fornt watching the game and not the people walking across the winterstoke car park in the 85th min, maybe it should be sung out the back of the stand as opposed to the front of the Dolman!

I would have thought that Mansfield (away) on 23/11/02 persuaded everyone to stay until the final whistle.

Plenty of our fans heard the victory on the radio as they headed back, 4-2 down with 3 mins to go, the Tinman hits a penalty on 87 mins, 4-3, Lita equalises in the 90th minute and then Christian Roberts rasps home the winner in injury time. 4-5 what a comeback and the reason not to leave early.

Or a reason to turn up very late? :noexpression:

Personaly if i stay i stay if i go i go - don't give a crap about what Johnson thinks or says about it or the team for that matter or the chuffing wannabe firm in the EE - which is getting really full these days have you noticed?

So Noggers tell me about the 70s shuffle was that a kind of dance move down the Dolman in those days?? :innocent06:

Not too sure robins, I was in the East End in the 70's - mostly in the open area next to the Enclosure.

The Dolman shufflers in those days were mainly older fans who used to often shuffle out early, much earlier in fact than the 85 minute leavers who are so lambasted on here.

We didn't really shuffle about in The East End, though on a cold day the matchday experienced was enhanced by the sound of thousands of shoes tapping rapidly on the terraces in an attempt to stay warm. :colder:

I actually find the song sung at the Dolman embarassing as its often being sung to those people stood in the stand at the fornt watching the game and not the people walking across the winterstoke car park in the 85th min, maybe it should be sung out the back of the stand as opposed to the front of the Dolman!

I think you'll find its being sung at the hundreds sloping out the side...

the chuffing wannabe firm in the EE - which is getting really full these days have you noticed?

Now that is one of the funniest things I have read on here for a while.

The sarcastic bit about the amount of people may have something to do with the fact the club limited the amount of seaston tickets sold for the EE, and no pay on the day..

I don't. Too much top spin and pace.

Glad I am not the only one thinking it..

Make sure you have got your Gas shirt on so I can recognise you easily and I will blow you a kiss. You big teddy bear you! :icecream:

The whole point of this thread/question was in SUPPORT of the East End and what they bring to Match Day - but the EE are there to support the club and so chanting "stay until the end" to our own supporters just brings the situation more to the forefront and if the players are affected (which I doubt) then it can only make matters worse by singing this song at the end.

Far better for another chorus of Bounce Around The Ground, Come on you Reds, We always Believe or whatever - that has to be more positive for the players to hear than "stay until the end" and if the point is about supporting the team, then surely better not to chant at the early leavers which is nothing other than negative? Let them go, and get on with supporting the team - much more worthwhile?

The whole point of this thread/question was in SUPPORT of the East End and what they bring to Match Day - but the EE are there to support the club and so chanting "stay until the end" to our own supporters just brings the situation more to the forefront and if the players are affected (which I doubt) then it can only make matters worse by singing this song at the end.

Far better for another chorus of Bounce Around The Ground, Come on you Reds, We always Believe or whatever - that has to be more positive for the players to hear than "stay until the end" and if the point is about supporting the team, then surely better not to chant at the early leavers which is nothing other than negative? Let them go, and get on with supporting the team - much more worthwhile?

thanks for your advice

but making fun of a few people in the dolman is an old eastend pastime and has been quite amusing at times

you see it belongs to a sub-category of comedy called "terrace humour" a.k.a "banter"

this can be directed at away fans or people in the dolman stand.

hope that has answered your original question.

Archived