IGNORED

Stay Until The End - Value?

Markman

I know we have been down this road before - but watching a lot of football I always see people leaving early - at every ground.

Why they do etc etc is not the point of this post and has been discussed many times.

If people want to make that point (for or against) - then I think on here is the place.

I think the return of the East End has been great - they are I think a credit to the club. I work for a small nationwide outfit so a lot of good banter with supporters of other teams. Twice now (Shef Utd and Plymouth) mates I know supporting those teams have said how funny it is that we bait our own fans. Extending the conversation they have both said they would have thought nothing of it had we ourselves not started the chant.

So my point is - if we are going to convince people to stay we do it here - if they are on the way out they will not stop cos we chant "stay until the end" and chanting that just makes us look divisive and the away support focus on the issue - not helpful?

(I know someone could say leaving early is not helpful but we will never stop it so why draw attention to it in the last five minutes of a game - I have never heard it chanted at any other ground by supporters of the home club against supporters of the home club) :dunno:

So my point is - if we are going to convince people to stay we do it here - if they are on the way out they will not stop cos we chant "stay until the end" and chanting that just makes us look divisive and the away support focus on the issue - not helpful?

( :dunno:

Why do you need to convince people - it's their decision, let them get on with it?

And the chanting from the East Enders, "Stay 'til the end" ....perhaps they should look behind them and see that some of their indigenous tribe are sneaking out - fact!

Why do you need to convince people - it's their decision, let them get on with it?

And the chanting from the East Enders, "Stay 'til the end" ....perhaps they should look behind them and see that some of their indigenous tribe are sneaking out - fact!

You're right it is people decision. It's why I find it so laughable people get so uptight about it. The ONLY people who have a right, and a very valid one, to moan about it are those in the Dullmoan who's view is blocked. I feel desperately sorry for people who's view is obscured near constantly from the 85th minute onwards.

You're right it is people decision. It's why I find it so laughable people get so uptight about it. The ONLY people who have a right, and a very valid one, to moan about it are those in the Dullmoan who's view is blocked. I feel desperately sorry for people who's view is obscured near constantly from the 85th minute onwards.

You're right. I sit in row A upper Dullmoan, and whilst it is a problem, its not too bad for me, but I really feel for the poor suckers in the front rows of the Lower Dullmoan (pitch level) who must be questioning whether they are due a rebate from the 85th minute onwards - as the people leaving early pitch side, shall we say, aren't the fastest exiting the ground.

And Snuffleugulususus, you're right as well. They seem to think that the lights being turned on are a cue for them to leave.

Probably the only thing I would fall out with GJ about. Its all very well him banging on about stay till the end ( if he did say that) But there are lots of people who simply can't. I personally can and do. The other night I wasn't sat in my usual seat and ended up sitting next to a lovely old lady in the Williams. She has been going for 50 years, comes on her own and gets the bus from Pill. Her last bus home is 9.30 and she leaves night games at 9.15. Honestly, brought a lump to my throat.....I'm not saying all early leavers are this dedicated but maybe if those who are keep getting stick we can expect lower gates?

Perhaps thats the plan? then all those superior beings from species ' Eastendus Fanaticus' can continue with their effotrs to ensure that we all believe their mantra that they are the only true supporters of BCFC! :innocent06:

Don't the vast majority actually "stay until the end" though... stood up in the gangways and exits ready for a quick get-a-way on the final whistle?

Maybe the chant needs to be changed to specifically request these people to "remain in their seats until the end".

The other night I wasn't sat in my usual seat and ended up sitting next to a lovely old lady in the Williams. She has been going for 50 years, comes on her own and gets the bus from Pill. Her last bus home is 9.30 and she leaves night games at 9.15.

I'm pretty certain that shes wrong.

Was just looking at timetables, and the buses to Pill from Bristol run a lot later than half past nine.

That one just happens to be the most convienient relating to the time the game finishes, but its by no means the last.

Kind of besides the point but she just might not know theres a later one that means she could see the entire game.

Was just looking at timetables, and the buses to Pill from Bristol run a lot later than half past nine.

That one just happens to be the most convienient relating to the time the game finishes, but its by no means the last.

Kind of besides the point but she just might not know theres a later one that means she could see the entire game.

........you actually looked up bus timetables............ unbelievable

Because I was trying to help a fellow fan?

It takes about 2 minutes. If shes been going for that long she may well be a pensioner and not have access to a computer.

A kind and thoughtful thing to do actually. I'll get my mate who sits there all the time to tell her. Thanks :winner_third_h4h: Laugh my head if she then turned to him and said " Oh . I knows that, I just can't be arsed to stay till the end!!! :noexpression:

It affects the players, embarrasses other fans, paints a poor reflection of BCFC and despite an imaginative soul on here suggesting it takes forty five minutes to get out of the stand sitting down for a couple of minutes will not wish your life away.

Well - I am not sure I agree with all of that that but if true- then how does chanting "Stay Until the End" at our own fans help the players or paint a good reflection? It simply draws attention to it and helps no-one at all?

My point is none of it helps so no point in doing it?

Because I was trying to help a fellow fan?

It takes about 2 minutes. If shes been going for that long she may well be a pensioner and not have access to a computer.

The buses too Pill go on until 11.30 Dolly but if she misses the the 9.30 she will have to wait until 10.30 for the next not a nice thing to do for anyone especially a pensioner .Having said that the bus actually leaves the bus station at 9.30 now not at 9.20 like it used too so she could probably hang on a bit longer.

Well - I am not sure I agree with all of that that but if true- then how does chanting "Stay Until the End" at our own fans help the players or paint a good reflection? It simply draws attention to it and helps no-one at all?

My point is none of it helps so no point in doing it?

I can't see anything wrong with drawing attention to something that cannot be beneficail to our team but isn't the other line "get behind the team" anyway?

How does hundreds leaving early lift players spirits?

There is a sound coming from the Dolman when the early leavers gather pace and it is nothing uplifting and it looks awful. Managers talk about quietening crowds and some at Ashton Gate must be thinking its taken it's time but their abandoning ship here.

I can't see anything wrong with drawing attention to something that cannot be beneficail to our team but isn't the other line "get behind the team" anyway?

There is a sound coming from the Dolman when the early leavers gather pace and it is nothing uplifting and it looks awful. Managers talk about quietening crowds and some at Ashton Gate must be thinking its taken it's time but their abandoning ship here.

Here we bloody go again. Can we not put these early bird threads in a sub forum?

Have we got to go thro' this after every game, just go have a w*** or something...he shoots, he leaves...

Hmmm - interesting? But can't see it.

The point you seem to make is that leaving early does not help (in your view and that of many others), but chanting at our owns fans (in my view ) certainly does not help in any way shape or form but you think that is allright? If we are both right and neither really help - why do either?

I leave my seat in B block with about 2 mins to go, walk along the back of the Dolman and down the side of A block. I watch the rest of the game from there and on the whistle dash down the stairs and out of AG. I no point do I block anyones view.

Why do I do it? Because I hate queueing up to get out of the Dolman which with only two exits can take 5-10 mins. I also hate having to queque up in traffic to get out onto the LA by-pass. By being nearer the exit at full time I can save a good 30 mins on the journey home. Well worth it imo and I've done it for years.

What a smart arse!

You actually went to the trouble of looking up the time table just to score points on a daft forum. Confirms everything I thought-Well done you :disapointed2se:

If you thought about about it prior to jumping in with both feet you may of realized that possibly she dosen't fancy getting jossled around with thousand of people leaving at the same time in the darkness. So she slips out 10 minutes early and can make her way to the bus stop and get out of dodge hassle free .

Because I was trying to help a fellow fan? If shes been going for that long she may well be a pensioner and not have access to a computer.

Comes across as incredibly patronising!

This thread as been done to death and I'm sick and tired of a certain section of the crowd thinking they've got some kind of right to tell others what to do.

Archived