IGNORED

Realistic Targets In January?

A Horse With No Name

First half we were the better side for the most part and only a monumental lack of judgement from Brian Wilson saw us go in one down at the break. However, the one comment I made to the old man was that despite our good play we do not get anywhere near enough width into our play as the likes of McIndoe and an out of position Noble are instructed to tuck inside and assist the very weak central midfield area.

Second half, I'm afraid was total carnage. Preston played us off the park and should have finished up 6-0 winners but for Basso and some rank bad finishing. We were absolutely woeful and to be honest it was embarrassing at times to watch. Lee Johnson's decision to allow (I would suggest that is a kind description of his "effort") a left footer to cut inside on his left foot was astounding and led directly to the second goal. The substitutions Gary Johnson made had no positive outcome whatsoever and the decision to stick McCombe up front showed me that he had run out of ideas.

The decision to stick Noble on the right hand side is ridiculous I am afraid. I may only be one of these "Championship Managers" that GJ likes to have a pop at but I do know enough to think that constantly sticking square pegs in round holes will catch you out eventually. Noble was in no position to effect the game and the complete lack of width in our team was commented upon by the Sky commentators on no fewer than THREE occasions. Do the Sky commentators have to shut their mouths, trust Gary and not comment until the end of the season as well?

I don't mind seeing us go up to Preston and lose and had the second half performance been anything like remotely respectable I wouldn't have had any real complaints to be honest. Individual mistakes are a part of football, players don't mean to make them and we would have at least been able to take some comfort from the game. However the shambolic second half performance, both tactically and from the players on the pitch gives me cause for concern moving forward and now the ink is dry on both Gary and Keith's contracts it is bloody well time for them to start earning their money again.

Well where does Gary go from here. First half we competed and probably had the better chances and unlucky to go in losing. second half dear oh dear. Looked solid Wilson, Carey, McCombe. Looked average Johnson, Elliot, Basso, McCallister, Adebola. Looked awful Maynard. Bypassed a thousand times, Noble. Jeckyll and Hyde McIndoe. I cannot believe how average we looked in the second half. Preston are not a quality team but sure exposed us on many occasions. When Sproule, Trundle and Fontaine came on how many times did we need someone out on the left wing but instead had four players within ten metres of each other in the centre of the pitch. Poor old David Noble must wonder what he has to do. McIndoe looked totally out of it second half after such a good first half. how can this be?. I have never done this in my life and it hurts to say it but Bristol City you were awful. :fingerscrossed: Please, Please somebody let us have a good run before the end of the season and let us retain our championship status cos at the moment i feel we are in a relagation battle.

You can't go round having a pop at our forwards in my view. People need to start realising that we could have Rooney and Messi up front and we would still score f00k all. We have a manager who is currently terrified of introducing any width into our play and unless he starts earning his dosh again and sorts a few things out the likes of Maynard, Trundle, Adebola and John will still be in single figures, goal wise, in April.

As i said on match thread we have to many average championsip players and if we don't get more quality in then we will struggle

Erm, we are an average Championship side and should be looking to establish ourselves as a Championship side too. I am fed up with people on here thinking we are some sort of 'sleeping giant'. We aren't. We are a mid-sized club who have had a good season and are now in a mid-table place with a mid-strength team.

If we had finished 20th last season - which at the beginning of last season would have been regarded as a survival success, where we are now would have been a treat. Instead, the club over-performed and gave us fans an unexpected treat.

Let us all get a grip on reality, get behind GJ and KM (the best management we have had for decades) and get behind everyone of those chaps in red on the pitch and each other. All we want is three points per game. We didn't get it today but maybe next time, huh?!

Noble is no way on this earth a right winger, his best position by far is centre midfield, this is why Wilson could not make alot of runs with Noble behind covering.

Fans keep ravin on about Trundle but when he gets his chances to play does he produce every game???

Erm, we are an average Championship side and should be looking to establish ourselves as a Championship side too. I am fed up with people on here thinking we are some sort of 'sleeping giant'. We aren't. We are a mid-sized club who have had a good season and are now in a mid-table place with a mid-strength team.

If we had finished 20th last season - which at the beginning of last season would have been regarded as a survival success, where we are now would have been a treat. Instead, the club over-performed and gave us fans an unexpected treat.

Let us all get a grip on reality, get behind GJ and KM (the best management we have had for decades) and get behind everyone of those chaps in red on the pitch and each other. All we want is three points per game. We didn't get it today but maybe next time, huh?!

On CURRENT FORM (our last eight games) we are very much a STRUGGLING Championship side who, come the end of the season, may well be thankful it got off to a semi-reasonable start. I am afraid to say that the only direction I am looking at the moment is behind us and GJ's top 6 by Xmas comment is beginning to look like it should have been written on April 1st.

You can't go round having a pop at our forwards in my view. People need to start realising that we could have Rooney and Messi up front and we would still score f00k all. We have a manager who is currently terrified of introducing any width into our play and unless he starts earning his dosh again and sorts a few things out the likes of Maynard, Trundle, Adebola and John will still be in single figures, goal wise, in April.

you are spot on, this team creates nothing, strikers need crosses from near the goal line not lumped in at them from the half way line.

SL's comments about footballers needing to face the reality of the recession imply that we need to offload players to free up cash to bring in new faces - trouble is that getting rid of players is not always easy, and I can't see that many of our fringe players will attract much attention. Maybe time for a few loanees, and try and have a clearout in the summer.

Yeah, lets just all "believe" that if we all cross our fingers, get behind the team and sing louder that everything will be alright.

Or, do we face up to reality and understand that if all you set your sights on is mid to low table mediocrity then more often than not you'll end up in a relegation battle?

I for one feel that we are facing a very real and serious threat of losing our championship status. If GJ and everyone else involved in the club doesn't face up to this ASAP and be prepared to take real and decisive action to reverse our downward spiral then we will be in trouble.

Time for the ostriches to get their heads out of the sand.

Yeah, lets just all "believe" that if we all cross our fingers, get behind the team and sing louder that everything will be alright.

Or, do we face up to reality and understand that if all you set your sights on is mid to low table mediocrity then more often than not you'll end up in a relegation battle?

I for one feel that we are facing a very real and serious threat of losing our championship status. If GJ and everyone else involved in the club doesn't face up to this ASAP and be prepared to take real and decisive action to reverse our downward spiral then we will be in trouble.

Time for the ostriches to get their heads out of the sand.

Talk of relegation and spiriling down the league is daft, you know as well as i do a win against Swansea and we will be sitting comfartably again, thats how tight the division is.

One loss and its all doom and bloody gloom on this forum!

Exactly the point i made in other threads. Football is a team game that rewards the group of players that play as a team. We are not playing as a team and as soon as we have a midfield that plays midfield and supply the necessary passing, crossing and tackling that a team requires then our forwards will not score goals. Our forwards are good players that seem to sit to deep and get no service. You could go on and pick holes all night but it will not change the fact that we (BRISTOL CITY) need changes to make things happen. we have been outclassed to many times this season and to survive we must improve.

Talk of relegation and spiriling down the league is daft, you know as well as i do a win against Swansea and we will be sitting comfartably again, thats how tight the division is.

One loss and its all doom and bloody gloom on this forum!

that's the problem though, everyone is just going........on say, don't worry......we will the next game, right now, Swansea are doing very well and look a good team who are high on confiedence, much like us last season

We haven't been able to beat the likes of Watford and Forest recently at home who are terrible teams, so I'm not personally too confident right now about the Swansea game at the moment.

We not in a relegation battle yet, however with Swansea, Sheffield Wed and Ipswich coming up over 8 days, if we don't win at least one of them (which right now I'm not confident on) we will be getting pulled into a relegation battle,

Right now, confidence on the pitch is in tatters and something needs to happen QUICK to arrest that, because these problems have been ongoing since the reading game and we haven't recovered since.

You also say.....it's only one loss......um......we have won, ONE IN THE LAST EIGHT, that is RELEGATION form.

WHAT THE ****!

the reason he kept getting caught in possesion is because he had no one near to in space to give the ball to and had to do it all himself, perhaps he should play like Lee Johnson and look for the defensive pass to a full back everytime he gets the ball, regardless of what options are in front of him

Well said i agree with that....good post

that's the problem though, everyone is just going........on say, don't worry......we will the next game, right now, Swansea are doing very well and look a good team who are high on confiedence, much like us last season

We haven't been able to beat the likes of Watford and Forest recently at home who are terrible teams, so I'm not personally too confident right now about the Swansea game at the moment.

We not in a relegation battle yet, however with Swansea, Sheffield Wed and Ipswich coming up over 8 days, if we don't win at least one of them (which right now I'm not confident on) we will be getting pulled into a relegation battle,

Right now, confidence on the pitch is in tatters and something needs to happen QUICK to arrest that, because these problems have been ongoing since the reading game and we haven't recovered since.

You also say.....it's only one loss......um......we have won, ONE IN THE LAST EIGHT, that is RELEGATION form.

[/quote/]

GJ will obviously change personel and tatics, i wouldnt be suprised if he finally gets the message about width aswell.

Swansea have Cardiff tomorow and if they lose that they will hardly be sitting pretty (only 3 points ahead off us) and consdering they are knew to the laague there fans and players could atrt to get a bit concerned.

I think we will win next week and Johnson will have fired up I'm sure...

Guest wheres your caravan??
Possibly as i get a feeling Orr will be going to Watford.......

Watever way you look at it a RB is a must in january.

I cant see it.

Orr is one of these big time charlie types.

He thinks hes good enough for the prem. Wan*er!!

I cant see it.

Orr is one of these big time charlie types.

He thinks hes good enough for the prem. Wan*er!!

He was linked with Watford in the summer, if you remember GJ publicly said they had recieved intrest from them so i wouldnt be suprised.

Surman for me would be a great signing but would probably cost a small fortune, he is probably Southamptons only decent player left and they would want big money for him.

Guest wheres your caravan??
He was linked with Watford in the summer, if you remember GJ publicly said they had recieved intrest from them so i wouldnt be suprised.

Surman for me would be a great signing but would probably cost a small fortune, he is probably Southamptons only decent player left and they would want big money for him.

Yes, but i don't think he would wish to go there!

it not about ripping the core of the team up, its more about improving the elements on the side of the spine.

people like skuse, sproule need to go and Trundle and Noble (if they are not in Gjs plans) also need to either shape up or ship out

Skuse isnt good enough,i kno he didnt play today but for my money we need to get some money for him, get him off wage bill and bring in a new centre mid to give decent competition to both Elliot and Lee J. I'm not saying drop Lee J , i just think be good to ahve a proper centre midfielder who is good enuf to step in/stay in the team should they play well ahead of Elliot or Lee J. don't bring up Nick Carle, because I'm not sure he was good enuf to be honest, hardly setting world on fire at Palace.

Sproule-theres just no point him being in our squad really,lets get some consitancy and balance with a sensible right winger.

I have excused Williams from the list as I'm prepared to give him the same sort of time iv given SKuse and Sporule

Archived