IGNORED

Realistic Targets In January?

A Horse With No Name

Same old Rovers supporter. More interested in what we are doing than what their own team is doing.

Oh, by the way, how did you get on in the fa.cup today?

When we don't have a game its hard to concentrate on our team without getting arrested for stalking them..... the obvious move is to enjoy your tumble down the table.

Nearly every club has fans who arent happy with what their clubs are doing. Often the manager frustrates, but remember how many other managers would frustrate you even more, and it was always going to be hard for you to challenge again this year.

I'm curious about all these forwards you have. Does Akinde get a look in? Is Maynard a waste of money? You seem to have plenty, but who are the ones to do the business? Seems like a lot of wages for a small combined output. Seems like you could do with an experienced central midfielder who will run the game for you (but since I'm not obsessed that may be a bit innaccurate).

Talk of relegation and spiriling down the league is daft, you know as well as i do a win against Swansea and we will be sitting comfartably again, thats how tight the division is.

One loss and its all doom and bloody gloom on this forum!

We have won once, drawn 4 and lost 3 of our last 8 games; reality. We are far from flying, team spirit is non existant we have lost the edge all over the park.

Major turnaround required, a belief and battling spirit on the pitch to improve our fortunes.

Yes we could win the next 8 but I look at the teams below us and worry.

Craig Mackail Smith, James Dunne (Arsenal), Danny Jones (Oldham), Steve Irwin (Liverpool), Nabel El Zhar (Liverpool)

The last two would be loans, I think Mackail Smith should be top of the list, hugely improving winger/striker who knows where the net is a is terrorising defences in league one, and done the same to us in the cup.

1 - Andrew Driver of Hearts.

Cracking left winger who is imaginative, has bags of pace and plays for a club who struggle to pay their players.

Clearly will be indemand and cost a fair bit, but would be a mjor boost to our 'wing problem' and is a potential future star.

2 - Moustapha Salifou of Aston Villa.

Togolese midfielder who rarely get a game for Villa's first team but is an excellent creative central player with great vision and quality passing.

Has played the odd UEFA cup game but little else, not sure if he'd be availalbe on loan.

3 - Arsenal Kids.

If this 'link-up' with the Gunners is more than just talk then I'd suggest a couple of the young guns there would make interesting additions.

Henri Lansbury, Fran Mérida, Kieran Gibbs & Jay Simpson are all 18-19 year old midfielders/wingers/attacking players who could potetnially add something to any side at our level.

And unless we are gearing up for serious trasfer investment this January we could do much much worse than bringing in a couple to add to our options.

1 - Andrew Driver of Hearts.

Cracking left winger who is imaginative, has bags of pace and plays for a club who struggle to pay their players.

Clearly will be indemand and cost a fair bit, but would be a mjor boost to our 'wing problem' and is a potential future star.

Hearts have already turned down a £500k bid from Burnley so he'd be expensive, but I agree that he'd be a good signing.

I'd also have Bruno Aguiar from Hearts while we're up there. A strong and technical midfielder who isn't afraid to shoot and delivers superb set pieces. He came through the Benfica academy and is a former Portugese U21 international. He's also out of contract next summer.

Hearts have already turned down a £500k bid from Burnley so he'd be expensive, but I agree that he'd be a good signing.

I'd also have Bruno Aguiar from Hearts while we're up there. A strong and technical midfielder who isn't afraid to shoot and delivers superb set pieces. He came through the Benfica academy and is a former Portugese U21 international. He's also out of contract next summer.

He was utterly outstanding against Rangers yesterday and I agree he'd be a great signing (yes, I did spend my whole saturday watching football, as i do every weekend...).

I'm actually off to watch Queen's Park under-19s play Raith Rovers Under19s at lunchtime, so if I see any undiscovered 'gems' I'll get on the blower to Pete J!

the reason he kept getting caught in possesion is because he had no one near to in space to give the ball to and had to do it all himself, perhaps he should play like Lee Johnson and look for the defensive pass to a full back everytime he gets the ball, regardless of what options are in front of him

One so typical episode in the second half of the Preston game was one of the few times we were attacking with a number of players up. The ball came back from Preston, was picked up by Lee J and squared to his left, the ball was carried up the field, centred and came out again to Lee J. This time he changed his tactics and squared the ball to the right.

'nuff said!!

Surman is a left back or left sided midfilder, primaraly he is a full back thou.
/

WHAT? do you know who the player even is

he's a central midfielder, who can also play on the left, but he is natually a central midfielder and a creative attacking central midfielder, that's where he's played for Southampton and England

a player we should certainly be looking at signing.

You can't go round having a pop at our forwards in my view. People need to start realising that we could have Rooney and Messi up front and we would still score f00k all. We have a manager who is currently terrified of introducing any width into our play and unless he starts earning his dosh again and sorts a few things out the likes of Maynard, Trundle, Adebola and John will still be in single figures, goal wise, in April.

Totally agree. Just before Preston scored their first I commented that we never play the ball across the goal ON THE GROUND. Then Preston do exactly that and score a simple but well-taken strikers goal. Surely this is exactly the sort of service that Nicky Maynard needs. I doubt he scored many of his goals for Crewe in the air.

It's very easy to blame our lack of goals on our strikers but even the best miss 2 or 3 (or more) chances a game. Our strikers are lucky to get 2 or 3 chances a game - between them!

When we don't have a game its hard to concentrate on our team without getting arrested for stalking them..... the obvious move is to enjoy your tumble down the table.

Nearly every club has fans who arent happy with what their clubs are doing. Often the manager frustrates, but remember how many other managers would frustrate you even more, and it was always going to be hard for you to challenge again this year.

I'm curious about all these forwards you have. Does Akinde get a look in? Is Maynard a waste of money? You seem to have plenty, but who are the ones to do the business? Seems like a lot of wages for a small combined output. Seems like you could do with an experienced central midfielder who will run the game for you (but since I'm not obsessed that may be a bit innaccurate).

Your spot on with that comment Mr Gas and it's what we are all crying out for and have been since the start of the season.

but hey.......Gary thinks we don't need one because we have Lee Johnson who has mastered the art of bottling out of tackles, letting players cut inside him and the "defensive pass to a full back, while ignoring any attacking options"

GJ will obviously change personel and tatics, i wouldnt be suprised if he finally gets the message about width aswell.

Swansea have Cardiff tomorow and if they lose that they will hardly be sitting pretty (only 3 points ahead off us) and consdering they are knew to the laague there fans and players could atrt to get a bit concerned.

I think we will win next week and Johnson will have fired up I'm sure...

I bet you thought the same after the likes of Sheffield U, Reading, Forest, Palace, Watford

nothing seems to be changing at the moment

The side doesn't need ripping apart at all, it needs the same couple of quality additions in obvious weak areas that it needed in the summer.

It also needs a style of play that suits our better players which is most certainly not the direct crap we are resorting to every time we lose a little confidence at the moment.

Players we should look at, not all at once...

Fran Merida - CM (loan)

Central Midfielder from Arsenal, originally from Barcelona. Not played much in the first team yet, if at all...

Jack Wilshere - CM (loan)

Self explanitory really, only really appeared in cup games for Arsenal. Regular first team football could do some good for him this season.

Gavin Hoyte - RB (loan)

Younger brother of Justin Hoyte, another Arsenal boy.

Stephen Darby - RB (loan)

20 year old Right Back from Liverpool, don't know much about him if I'm being honest.

Rodrigo Possebon - CM (loan)

Manchester United player, played a few first team games but got injured. Could be worth him getting fit at another team and getting first team football consistently?

Zoran Tošić - RW/LW (loan)

Will be signed for Manchester United in January but I can't see him jumping straight into their team. Would we be able to get him on loan for a bit? No Idea how good he is or anything really...

Federico Macheda - ST (loan)

Another Manchester United boy (we wouldn't be able to get Danny Welbeck), Not played for the first team yet.

Craig Mackail-Smith - RW/ST

Has been mentioned in here a bit earlier, just keeps on improving. Other Championship sides have been looking at him.

Tommy Smith - RW

Again, has been mentioned earlier in this thread. Offer Watford Orr as a part exchange deal.

Jermaine Beckford - ST

Just keeps scoring, should've went for him instead of Maynard really.

:englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf:

I just looked whats below us and see, Donny with Brooker, Norwich with Lita, Forest who we will never beat, Southampton and decided not to look no further just PANIC :w00t:

I totally agree how many points off playoffs pos? What nobody seems to have mentioned is they (Bristol City) are only 9 POINTS AWAY FROM A RELEGATION POSITION. Action needs to be taken sooner than later or I am afraid it will be League 1 next season and thats certain. Remember when they(Bristol City) played Swansea when Tinman was in charge DO WE HAVE TO WAIT FOR ANOTHER SHOCK LIKE THAT BEFORE GJ AND CO REALISE THAT ALLS NOT WELL. I watched a better game yesterday FC TORREVIEJA VETERANS v LIVERPOOL VETERANS it was a 2-2 draw and i saw more commitment from players such as John Wark,Alan Kennedy,Gary Gillespie,Jason McAteer,Michael Thomas etc who were only playing to help our local clubs financies out. So City players get your act together and start playing like you did last season before its too late!!!!!!!!!

This thread is based on the assumption that we will bring players in in January. Apart from a right back (and I suppose possibly Stern John, assuming he is not injured or otherwise unavailable) has Gary suggested he is looking to do so? As far as I can recall he has talked about shipping some out but not about bringing some in and said again recently he intended to stand by the current squad. With Steve talking about controlling the wage bill as well, can we even afford to bring players in? I'm not inclined to hold my breath.

WHAT THE ****!

the reason he kept getting caught in possesion is because he had no one near to in space to give the ball to and had to do it all himself, perhaps he should play like Lee Johnson and look for the defensive pass to a full back everytime he gets the ball, regardless of what options are in front of him

Sounds like a good idea - give the ball to someone in the same team to keep possession rather than run around in circles and eventually lose the ball.

This thread is based on the assumption that we will bring players in in January. Apart from a right back (and I suppose possibly Stern John, assuming he is not injured or otherwise unavailable) has Gary suggested he is looking to do so? As far as I can recall he has talked about shipping some out but not about bringing some in and said again recently he intended to stand by the current squad. With Steve talking about controlling the wage bill as well, can we even afford to bring players in? I'm not inclined to hold my breath.

Unfortunately, past history suggests you are absolutely right. I hope not, but I think you are. Errors were made in the close season that left us as a weaker squad, coupled with the Orr situation, it could take until the next close season before this is addressed. As we have found, to our cost, it is one thing needing players and another thing getting them.

Sounds like a good idea - give the ball to someone in the same team to keep possession rather than run around in circles and eventually lose the ball.

I remember one instance during the preston game when LJ passed sideways to, our playmaker, McCome to hoof it straight upfield to a preston player. For him (LJ) it was pass completed.

that's the problem though, everyone is just going........on say, don't worry......we will the next game, right now, Swansea are doing very well and look a good team who are high on confiedence, much like us last season

We haven't been able to beat the likes of Watford and Forest recently at home who are terrible teams, so I'm not personally too confident right now about the Swansea game at the moment.

We not in a relegation battle yet, however with Swansea, Sheffield Wed and Ipswich coming up over 8 days, if we don't win at least one of them (which right now I'm not confident on) we will be getting pulled into a relegation battle,

Right now, confidence on the pitch is in tatters and something needs to happen QUICK to arrest that, because these problems have been ongoing since the reading game and we haven't recovered since.

You also say.....it's only one loss......um......we have won, ONE IN THE LAST EIGHT, that is RELEGATION form.

Crikey, how negative do you want to be.

I remember one instance during the preston game when LJ passed sideways to, our playmaker, McCome to hoof it straight upfield to a preston player. For him (LJ) it was pass completed.

So now Johnson is responsible for others being unable to pass the ball - incredible.

So now Johnson is responsible for others being unable to pass the ball - incredible.

I was referring to your post No 78, about passing to your own player to keep possession. Unfortunately McCome is the wrong player to pass to, to keep possession, because like his headers, all his passes go to the opposition. Thats what I find -----incredible ;)

I was referring to your post No 78, about passing to your own player to keep possession. Unfortunately McCome is the wrong player to pass to, to keep possession, because like his headers, all his passes go to the opposition. Thats what I find -----incredible ;)

So your instructions to the team before they take the field of play would be to not pass to McCombe cos he can't pass the ball! Amazing.

So your instructions to the team before they take the field of play would be to not pass to McCombe cos he can't pass the ball! Amazing.

I think the instruction would be, to allow the 'best passer' to play out of defence if he has the ball, if not what the **** is he doing there?. Not allow McCome to hoof it up to the opposition, which he does far too often- Amazingly. :D

+ he always goes on about in January players being over valued!!

I think he'll live with the squad except for adding an attacking / creative midfielder :fingerscrossed:

Who will be played on the right :tumbleweed:

I think we need to persevere with sproule, GJ said he's low on confidence but he ain't going to find it on the touchlines need to have faith and give him a couple of starts on the trot - can't remember when we last did.

Archived