IGNORED

Realistic Targets In January?

A Horse With No Name

I'd like to see us sell Sproule, send back John and Webster and sign one of Yeates or Boyd, Lewington and a young prem central midfielder like Possebon or Merida on loan.

We won't though.

Agree on the departures and not signing Stern. The problem with offloading Ivan is I can't see we'd get much for him at all, probably no more than 100k. and that would have to be a Scottish club because he's shown nothing to suggest he can be successful in England.

I reckon your targets are achievable, Yeates particularly would be an interesting addition, but haven't we been strongly linked with another winger, Hackett of Millwall?

For me Sproule, John, Webster, Brooker, Orr and McIndoe ( I just think he will) to go.

We would then need 2 wingers, so 2 out of 3 from Yeates, Hackett and Mackail-Smith, a left back ( could do alot worse than Lewington), a right back to replace Orr - no idea but must be 'improvers' in the lower divisions, and a central midfielder. Again Merida or another Arsenal youngster on loan would be fine.

Too early for Wilkshere who was fairly anonymous against Burnley and I don't reckon Wenger would consider such a young player would benefit from being loaned out.

The problem with all this is most of the targets would be expensive and there would be nowhere near enough coming in to cover the outlay.

Maybe there will be a surprise sale to raise funds like James Wilson who is said to have drawn interest from Everton in the past.

GJ clearly has to be decisive, not to say ruthless, but may yet stay his hand for fear of how the 4 or 5 new faces might disrupt the apparently fragile team spirit which we so rely on.

it's been coming to be honest, Gary has spent ALOT of money since we have been promoted and like the Carle situation, I think we are going to have to start selling better players to finance new players to bring in,

we can't keep on spending £1m or even £500k+ on players without seeing some leave.

problem is........who?

It's not only a question of seeing some players leave ( to balance the books/wage bill) but SL MUST be wondering why almost all of our biggest money signings - Trundle, Maynard, Sproule, Williams - are struggling to get into the team. That's over £4Million worth of players all of whom could very well be on the bench against Swansea, in fact if John and Dele were both fit then I doubt if any would start.

Add to that that the £500K spent on Carle was - by GJ's own admission - not money well spent and that we were lucky that Colin was dumb enough to pay £1M for him (and now looks like he's regretting it as NC is not a regular 1st teamer).

I think that if all the big money signings were in the team and perfoming in the way that say - Ebanks-Blake does at £1.5M - then I think SL would regard it as strengthening and building for the future. But do you see any of the 4 names able to play at the next level?

I'm not a GJ basher but his achillies IS the transfer market (or is it his brother) which is why he almost always prefers to stick with the current players or find a (cheap) unknown like Elliot, McCoombe, akinde where there is no risk.

Stoke and Hull have shown how important good transfer market judgement is in having to transform their squads almost overnight following promotion from the championship.

CR

Sylvain Ebanks-Blake is cracking value at 1.5 million, but it got me thinking, I wonder what his scoring record was in his first year in the Championship, sort of comparing him to Maynard. I know it is slightly unfair, they have come from different backgrounds, played different leagues etc. but they are the same age pretty much, born 9 months apart so it has some relevance. Anyway, he scored 10 goals in his debut season, 4 of those came in the last 5 games. Not really sure what my point is, but if Nicky develops like Sylvain has in the Championship then we're on to something good. I should mention Plymouth only plaid 200k I think. Little disclaimer, I am in no way criticising anybody here, just wanted to have a look at their respective records!

Talk of relegation and spiriling down the league is daft, you know as well as i do a win against Swansea and we will be sitting comfartably again, thats how tight the division is.

One loss and its all doom and bloody gloom on this forum!

How likely is is that we will actually beat Swansea?

At the moment were playing terribly, we have too many players guaranteed of their places week in week out because there is no competition for places, in most positions.

We have a central midfield partnership without our most creative midfielder, he is being pushed to the right wing to accomodate Lee Johnson, we have tried various commbinations across the team , upront, at the back and in midfield, the only one we have yet to try is a middle of the park pairing without Lee Johnson, go on Gary give it a try, whats the worst that can happen?????

What a horribly depressing thread. Anyone would think we are the only team ever to go on a bad run of form....

I think our main priority at the moment is our left and right wings. How long has it been since we've had a natural pacy winger that would beat his man before crossing in to a striker? Murray in 2003 is the last that springs to mind. Trundle and Maynard are quality strikers but they need the ball played in to their feet!! I'd love to see these two as a regular striking partnership with two new wingers who can cross, and a new right back.

Then I think we'd be a decent squad that could finish in the top half before addressing our squad agai in the summer.

Cmon guys, Johnson got us through a 9 match losing run and turned us into a decent squad. He's brought some decent players to the squad before. Lets stop being a bunch of moaners just because we arent having things our own way at the moment. We are just five points off the playoffs, and nine above the relegation zone yet people are talking about the drop. Unbelievable.

We are just five points off the playoffs, and nine above the relegation zone yet people are talking about the drop. Unbelievable.

It's not moaning to say we look a far more disjointed team this season and the way City are playing we are more likely to go down the table than up.

Fans are right to be concerned that if we don't get a settled team that plays to it's potential and gathers points quickly, then the spectre of City getting embroiled in a relegation battle in the New Year is very real indeed.

haha, cheese you know the score with strikers and Brzzle City... no chances = no goals

another story for a million threads that have been and gone?

meh

on the subject

hypothetically

OUT

Brooker £100k

Mccombe £500k

Mcindoe £750k-£1mil

Johnson £300k

Sproule £300k

was toying with letting liam go for a illion to lower end prem... but he is valuable asset to the side, a defender who is good on the ball and isnt too slow!

the rest are all about money making

so from those we have about £2million... plus maybe £750k - £1million from SL, if he wants to be generous! :D

and to the big business!

IN

Nabil El Zhar(L'pool)- Loan, right side mid

Jack Wilshere(Arse)- Loan, Left side mid

Jonny Howson(leeds)- £1million tops.. centre mid, ball carrying attacking mid

Marcus Williams(s****)/Dean Lewington(mkdon) £200k-£400k LEFT BACK!

Ettiene Esajas(shefW) £300-500k? swapping with wilshere

Lewis Mcgugan(notfo) £750k

a cheap centre back

thats what i'd do

300k for sproule?

It's not moaning to say we look a far more disjointed team this season and the way City are playing we are more likely to go down the table than up.

Fans are right to be concerned that if we don't get a settled team that plays to it's potential and gathers points quickly, then the spectre of City getting embroiled in a relegation battle in the New Year is very real indeed.

Exactly correct, the team hasn't looked right for a while, and to be honest I don't think we've performed well in a game since Charlton away, which was mid oct (??) since then we have seriously struggled but have managed to scrape a couple of wins, despite possibly not deserving them, we have also been totally outplayed and well beaten in a few games, with Sheffield, Reading and Palace being utterly dreadful performances alround, with Preston not being far behind, we've been drawing games all season against teams we really should have beaten, QPR & Derby could and probably should have resulted in 3 points each, and the less said about the dropped points against Strugglers such as Forest and Watford the better.

It's easy to say, Gary has turned us around before and will do it again and we all hope a VITAL win will come soon, however when the manager is publically saying he doesn't know where the next win is going to come from, whether it is a phyiscologic trick towards the players or not......Many are VERY understandably concerned.

With 3 tough games coming up in the next 9 days....I'm concerned about where we will be after those games and I'm sure I'm not the only one, however a win against Swansea will go someway to improving morale alround, from fans, to players and to the manager....

I'd like to see us sell Sproule, send back John and Webster and sign one of Yeates or Boyd, Lewington and a young prem central midfielder like Possebon or Merida on loan.

We won't though.

Lewington is a quality full back and to be honest, I find it amazing that he is still at MK, that said he's been there a while now and with MK carrying on their form from last season since promotion, I'd be surpised if he would want to leave as he's possibly going to be at this levle next season, possibly stand a chance if they have fallen away a bit in late jan.

Alot is made of the Arsenal youngsters and many will be great players, but for many of them they are still VERY young and not giong to be right for first team week in week out football just yet and also importantly with some of the players at that age, I'd be unsure if Arsene would be keen on loaning out the real younger ones as they are still just kids.....Fran Merida is however one of the olders ones (still only 18 though) so possibly could be the one worth moving for.....if we can.

big loss i know... infact, I'm not sure many teams would pay that! I'm not sure which side your questioning it?

i think we might get something from a scottish prem side, or maybe a poor championship club

As I said earlier, my guess is we wouldn't get more than 100k for Ivan.

Extremely doubtful another Championship club would take him on based on his performances at this level.

Once in a blue moon he looks to have something exceptional but there is no consistency and his crossing is abysmal.

He could go back to Hibs but the fee would surely be so reduced that it would basically be just to free up our wage bill.

Great shame as he appeared to be a very exciting signing.

Archived