IGNORED

Keith Millen

kingswood red

What exactly does Keith Millen do?. I understand that, as an ex-defender, he coaches the defence but is that all. As GJ's right hand man, what else does he do?, does he put a friendly arm around GJ's shoulder and say 'look Boss you are making a mistake' or is he just another yes-man. I get the feeling GJ likes those.

What exactly does Keith Millen do?. I understand that, as an ex-defender, he coaches the defence but is that all. As GJ's right hand man, what else does he do?, does he put a friendly arm around GJ's shoulder and say 'look Boss you are making a mistake' or is he just another yes-man. I get the feeling GJ likes those.

You would be better off asking him yourself instead of making wild assumptions.

From what i know KM is an extremely capable and well respected coach, not just at City, but in the English game. He loves the club and puts his all into the job.

What do you mean by hes just another yes man, what makes you say GJ likes those, or are you just fishing? :sleeping:

My guess would be that he's probably heavily involved in coaching the defence, you know, the back four that has kept one of the highest number of clean sheets in our league yet only cost us about £100k in total to assemble.

Still at a time when results are not so good I suppose every sort of theory will see the light of day on here........

Keith Millen is a uefa pro licensed coach and very well respected in the game. Don't really see the need for a dig at him and nobody uninvolved with the day to day running of the club will be able to say what he does or doesn't do.

He's actually rated amongst the elite coaches in the country and regularly gets invited to attend sessions at Lilleshall that are only for the top 20 or so coaches in England.

He's actually rated amongst the elite coaches in the country and regularly gets invited to attend sessions at Lilleshall that are only for the top 20 or so coaches in England.

I have the utmost respect but just saw the funny side " and we still can't score goals"

I think Gary has stated several times that Millen is excellent at doing all the PC stuff, Prozone etc as he himself isn't so good at that stuff.

Anyway, it strikes me that they suit eachother, both good at their own thing.

Funny this thread has cropped up. We were wondering what he actually does at the last game.

He has taken all his coaching badges apparently so he probably knows his stuff. :mafia:

not the BLAME MILLEN THREAD.

soon as it goes a bit wrong, typical.

keith millen is a good coach and well respected by the players, thats that.

lets all move on.

All managers have a number two and thats what Millen is to Johnson. A deputy manager if you like. His job will be similar to Johnson's except that Johnson makes the final decisions.

Number two's have different roles depending on who their manager is. Martin O'Niell for example never takes daily training sessions. Same at Man Utd, Sir Alex never takes the training sessions either and hasn't done for years wheras Johnson likes to be involved in the training at City. Harry Redknap on the other hand takes most of the training sessions at Spurs.

I expect Millen is invoved in preparing reports on upcoming opposition, works closely with Pete Johnson on looking at potential players as well as offering his opinions to Johnson about tactics and the playing squad.

A very fasinating job I reckon. Wish I had the knoweldge/skills/qualifications to do it.

anyone who paid attention would know that Millen also utilises & manages the Pro Zone system for BCFC and is across the performance and coaching as a whole, not just defence.

GJ himself acknowledges the role Millen plays as he in his own words 'can't even turn a computer on'

Millen, as has been stated, is clearly an accomplished coach who is a good foil for GJ, (who seems to base his technique more around motivation and understanding (or not!) the mindset of his players)

As with Lumsden, he may not make the step up to management proper. Jimmy Lumsden is another example of a good coach (now at Everton) but not a good manager.

I rate Millen, and was intrigued by his appointment as asst manager to Tinman at the time, but he has proved that he is his own man and meant that GJ didn't pursue Thompson from Yeovil when he arrived.

anyone who paid attention would know that Millen also utilises & manages the Pro Zone system for BCFC and is across the performance and coaching as a whole, not just defence.

GJ himself acknowledges the role Millen plays as he in his own words 'can't even turn a computer on'

Millen, as has been stated, is clearly an accomplished coach who is a good foil for GJ, (who seems to base his technique more around motivation and understanding (or not!) the mindset of his players)

As with Lumsden, he may not make the step up to management proper. Jimmy Lumsden is another example of a good coach (now at Everton) but not a good manager.

I rate Millen, and was intrigued by his appointment as asst manager to Tinman at the time, but he has proved that he is his own man and meant that GJ didn't pursue Thompson from Yeovil when he arrived.

So in answer to the question I posed, the majority of replies seem to rate Millen very highly for his all round coaching ability and his expertise with the prozone system, so if Millen is as good as you all think he is, does GJ take any notice of his opinion or does he disregard it?.

If, as you all say, Millen does the coaching and GJ concentrates on motivation and understanding players mindsets, then I have to ask two questions.

1.Who is coaching and motivating the midfield and forwards?.

2. Why are players not performing as well this year, as last year?.

Managers and Assistant Managers like the plaudits when things are hunky dory, proudly polishing up their coaching badges, but the time to earn their corn is when things aren't going so well and, lets face it, no matter how we try to gloss it up, things are not rosy at Ashton Gate.

So if Millen is not just a yes man, then he has to take his share of critism when things are going wrong, super duper euro coach or not.

So in answer to the question I posed, the majority of replies seem to rate Millen very highly for his all round coaching ability and his expertise with the prozone system, so if Millen is as good as you all think he is, does GJ take any notice of his opinion or does he disregard it?.

If, as you all say, Millen does the coaching and GJ concentrates on motivation and understanding players mindsets, then I have to ask two questions.

1.Who is coaching and motivating the midfield and forwards?.

2. Why are players not performing as well this year, as last year?.

Managers and Assistant Managers like the plaudits when things are hunky dory, proudly polishing up their coaching badges, but the time to earn their corn is when things aren't going so well and, lets face it, no matter how we try to gloss it up, things are not rosy at Ashton Gate.

So if Millen is not just a yes man, then he has to take his share of critism when things are going wrong, super duper euro coach or not.

The final decisions are the managers and he carries the can. It goes with the 5 year contract and nice big wage packet.

Coaching isn't the problem.

:city: I have always thought that when Gary is no longer our manager we have the ideal candidate to replace him in Keith Millen.
I think when Gj does go then we will see KM made manager to ensure stability and it will go tits up and KM will be sacked, So much for the stability hey? But sadly that is the way it almost always turns out for Ass Mans that try there hand at management.

Tinnion should never have been made manager and should be doing what Km is doing now with GJ.

The final decisions are the managers and he carries the can. It goes with the 5 year contract and nice big wage packet.

I haven't heard any criticism of KM but cannot imagine GJ takes any notice whatsoever of his selection views - would an experienced centre half have agreed with our defensive reshuffle at Wembley??

I haven't heard any criticism of KM but cannot imagine GJ takes any notice whatsoever of his selection views - would an experienced centre half have agreed with our defensive reshuffle at Wembley??

Bearing in mind it didn't let any goals in. Probably.

This is the crux of my arguement, I realise GJ carries the can, but exactly what is Millens input into an underperforming team?.

If coaching isn't part of the problem, what the blazes is?.

Bearing in mind it didn't let any goals in. Probably.

So presumably he didn't rate Marvin Elliot as a midfielder, and agreed that Vasko was there just to get a day out in London.

I guess he's been lobbying for ME to take Orr's place if he was that happy about things.

My point being, I believe he's a competent coach and a good no2 but anyone who thinks that anybody but GJ has any say in team selection is daft - that's fair enough I guess.

So presumably he didn't rate Marvin Elliot as a midfielder, and agreed that Vasko was there just to get a day out in London.

I guess he's been lobbying for ME to take Orr's place if he was that happy about things.

My point being, I believe he's a competent coach and a good no2 but anyone who thinks that anybody but GJ has any say in team selection is daft - that's fair enough I guess.

I can't say what he thought, as I don't know.

My guess would be, they weighed up the pros and cons of moving Carey to right back with Vasko in the centre against moving Elliott to right back and keeping our best centre half in his position.

I can't imagine it was an easy call, but with the team requiring a goal, I'd guess they decided getting Lee Johnson on provided us with the best chance of getting back in the game whilst keeping things solid at the back.

Marvin had played the position before, so wasn't much of a gamble in that respect. The day's a bit of a blur now, but I don't recall us coming under much threat in the second half.

Had Carey, McAllister or Fontaine been injured, I have no doubt Vasko would have come on (with Fontaine moving to left back had McAllister been injured).

I can't say what he thought, as I don't know.

My guess would be, they weighed up the pros and cons of moving Carey to right back with Vasko in the centre against moving Elliott to right back and keeping our best centre half in his position.

I can't imagine it was an easy call, but with the team requiring a goal, I'd guess they decided getting Lee Johnson on provided us with the best chance of getting back in the game whilst keeping things solid at the back.

Marvin had played the position before, so wasn't much of a gamble in that respect. The day's a bit of a blur now, but I don't recall us coming under much threat in the second half.

Had Carey, McAllister or Fontaine been injured, I have no doubt Vasko would have come on (with Fontaine moving to left back had McAllister been injured).

Would be interesting to know whether they would have broguht Vasko on had we been a goal up instead? At the time I thought the substition was the right thing but hindsight is a wonderful thing where I've won the lottery and slept with some of the most beautiful women in the world - unfortunately we don't live there. Maybe as we were one goal down he should've gone three at the back and pushed Vasko up front!!

Interesting thread and nice to read (unlike some of the others on here).

Personally i think that KM would make a good manager, but...I wouldnt like to see him replace GJ IF and WHEN he leaves. I think he should apply his experiece/knowledge at a lower division club like Ince, Coleman, Taylor (peter) etc. Hopefully he will be in the hot-seat at Ashton Gate in the future. Who Knows?

Ipswich 1- City 2 COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!!

This is the crux of my arguement, I realise GJ carries the can, but exactly what is Millens input into an underperforming team?.

If coaching isn't part of the problem, what the blazes is?.

I think the problem is constantly changing selections and a style of play that doesn't suit our better players.

I also think that GJ probably listens to KM's advice and then follows it only if it is the same as his own opinion, but that's just a guess based on my impression of the amount of self confidence GJ has.

I think the problem is constantly changing selections and a style of play that doesn't suit our better players.

I also think that GJ probably listens to KM's advice and then follows it only if it is the same as his own opinion, but that's just a guess based on my impression of the amount of self confidence GJ has.

And to be honest, I think that's how you have to be as a manager.

You live or die (professionally) by the decisions you make and, whether you get the sack or succeed, I think it's far better to do so having trusted your own instinct rather than followed the advice of someone else when it goes against what you think is right.

As Brian Clough once said, "If someone disagrees with me, we sit down, talk about it for twenty minutes and then decide I was right."

You live or die (professionally) by the decisions you make and, whether you get the sack or succeed, I think it's far better to do so having trusted your own instinct rather than followed the advice of someone else when it goes against what you think is right.

As Brian Clough once said, "If someone disagrees with me, we sit down, talk about it for twenty minutes and then decide I was right."

Yep, it wasn't a criticism of GJ just a defence of KM.

I'd be amazed if any football manager followed advice contrary to their own opinion.

I think GJ could do with having a fresh look at his reasons for the selections he's made recently though.

As you are using Brian Clough as an example,this perfectly illustrates my initial question.

Peter Taylor wasn't frightened to give his opinion. and him and Clough had some right ding dongs. but what a partnership, Clough valued the input of Taylor, which was huge.

Archived