IGNORED

Ipswich Match Thread

petehinton

But when has David Noble been given an opportunity of 5-10 starts in central midfield, and before we get rid of a player, surely we need to play him in his preferred position for a good deal of games before we decide he isn't good enough.

What's the point in getting rid of him without playing him, he's not a right winger, everyone knows that, so do we sell transfer list him as a failed winger, or an untried centre midfielder?

I do not purport to know what goes on in the dressing room or behind the scenes.. i put my faith in the guys who run the team and the club and as a result I do not think playing Noble in the team for 5-10 consec starts will improve the situation... they have had 2 seasons to find out his strengths and weaknesses and if he cannot make the first team by now then one could argue his time might be nearing the end game. We need fresh blood.. that is what everybody on this thread is saying anyway. well, on that premise and bearing in mind City's policy of not having too big and too expensive a squad we need to trim it before we bring in new.

If McIndoe is not good enough we may as well ALL stop supporting. NUTS REMARK.

best player every time i have seen City this season.. at Palace he was far and away the only City player running his heart out. Look at his assists record... if the discussion was less serious your remark would be laughable.

well thats probably the problem if hes our best player, only left winger i know who cant beat his man ever and never gets to the byline and never gets in a decent cross from the flank, apart from that i guess hes ok.

I don't think Gary can do a great deal until january and even then, reading between the lines of SL's remarks recently, he may have little money to buy. I see him needing to bring in good quality loanies.

You could argue however that gary seemed hasty in spending over 2 mil on maynard and blame him. you could equally argue he reads these forums and papers and felt immense pressure to bring a striker in... he really is between a rock and a hard place then right??? True, managers are the fall guys but you need to temper your anger, frustration what ever it is with facts about where we have come from in such a short space of time.

I'll reiterate he has had ample opportunity in the summer and in the season to date to do something about the current situation. Not unsurprisingly (you are not alone) the striker issue is raised and specificaly Maynard. But many including myself have been banging on about the midfield for months. More lines have been written about the central misfield area than any other topic I'll wager. Threads about hoof ball, lack of control, tackling and work ooff the ball as well as creativity and service to the strikersa have been very prevelant and stem from the midfield.

A high percentage of the fan base have been worried about this for some time....its about time the manager was!

Adam Baker ( on radio Bristol ) said Elliot/Skuse centre midfield

reminded him of Tommy Doc/Joe Burnell pairing! :disapointed2se:

This is what Skuse said in a pre-match interview in today's Evening Post when reminiscing about watching Burnell/Doherty as a trainee from the stand:- "People didn't think those 2 could play together, but they did pretty well" :disapointed2se:

Which 5 minutes of which game was that then Cole?

But lets not forget that if the current GJ induced mess goes unchecked then where we have come from will be exactly where we will be heading back to. Ipswich had 24 shots to our 6 tonight. In other words we were f00king awful....again. Unfortunately we are in such a mess that assuming we do amass enough points to maintain Championship status we are going to see around 3K knocked off the season ticket total next season in my view.

High prices + Credit Crunch/Recession + $h1t long ball defensively minded football = many people keeping their cash in their pockets next season.

I will be the first to moan about the long ball.. that policy does sound like a desperate measure.

That aside though i cannot see how a team that reached wembley last season is now relegation fodder.. frankly... that is pants.

The word is CONFIDENCE... it is going to be very hard to bring it back and GJ knows he has one helluva job on his hands. I am sure he knows he has made errors, we all have. But to ask for his head.,, not necessarily you but some,.. is frankly bordering on closet gas head remarks!! He WILL turn it around, of that I am 100% sure. keep the faith, january is around the corner.. lets just prey GJ and SL sit down soon and make an agreement on a transfer kitty... or, better for the books, good loanies until may.

I'll reiterate he has had ample opportunity in the summer and in the season to date to do something about the current situation. Not unsurprisingly (you are not alone) the striker issue is raised and specificaly Maynard. But many including myself have been banging on about the midfield for months. More lines have been written about the central misfield area than any other topic I'll wager. Threads about hoof ball, lack of control, tackling and work ooff the ball as well as creativity and service to the strikersa have been very prevelant and stem from the midfield.

A high percentage of the fan base have been worried about this for some time....its about time the manager was!

Midfield activity in the close season was carle out and williams in and GJ saying the latter was NOT his replacement... I believe that remains the case and this part of the field is his PRIME position for filling... however, he is not going to bring somebody who is over budget or has the wrong attitude... sorry but i tend to agree with him on that front.

In short, I agree he has had ample time and, with respect, he has known about this problem long before you. He simply has not found the right man at the right price. You wanna chip in and help?

3 goals in 7 minutes and we didn't trouble Ipswich so much, even after they went down to 10 men. :disapointed2se:

Fortunately the Bottom 3 all lost last night but we are slipping ever closer to the dogfight and ever further from the playoffs.

And worse than that, taking this game out of it, we should have 8 points more at least:

1) Conceded v Watford a minute after going ahead

2) Missed a penalty in the last minute v Forest. We get precious few penalties as it is. 2 this season, whereas I think Cardiff have been awarded 11 so far.

3) Swansea, robbed of a win when the ball crossed the line.

4) Sheffield United, 0-0 but denied a clear penalty, but never mind that because Trundle missed a relatively simple chance which would have won it.

Happy days! The big problem may be that we won't be able to find Clubs willing to take our surplus players, to free up funds for new players to come in. When GJ arrived, he was touted as a man who would bring in young players who were keen to move up the League, and yet most of our buys have been experienced players, most of whom have little sell-on value, and we don't have the balance of youth and experience that most top sides have. I think that changing Manager now would be a disater, and I think it's a case of making the best of what we have (Through necessity and financial reality), trying to add a few loanees, and looking at things in the summer. What really worries me is that GJ seems to only want a certain type of player, and I don't think that you can limit your options so much at this level. It will be interesting to see what happens with Stern John, I would not sign him permanently, simply due to age and wages (Especially if we go down), but he would be useful on loan for the rest of the season.

As for Beck, lets not forget that he took an unfashionable Club to the edge of the top division, and then it all fell apart........ But Histon seem to be doing OK since they employed him!

Midfield activity in the close season was carle out and williams in and GJ saying the latter was NOT his replacement... I believe that remains the case and this part of the field is his PRIME position for filling... however, he is not going to bring somebody who is over budget or has the wrong attitude... sorry but i tend to agree with him on that front.

In short, I agree he has had ample time and, with respect, he has known about this problem long before you. He simply has not found the right man at the right price. You wanna chip in and help?

Wrong attitude? It is impossible at the high levels of the game to fill your entire squad with yes men and whilst GJ persists with this apparent policy we are going to stand still or, even worse, go backwards to where we arrived from in the first place. He is paid good money to MANAGE a squad of footballers and if making progress means that one or two he brings in have ego's that he has to massage then he should bloody well earn his money and do it.

keep the faith, january is around the corner.. lets just prey GJ and SL sit down soon and make an agreement on a transfer kitty... or, better for the books, good loanies until may.

Don't hold out much hope for the transfer window, GJ won't bring anyone in at the start of the window he never does, he'll wait untill a couple of days before it shuts ship a couple out and then tell us we had some deals lined up but for what ever reason they didn't go through. Heard it all before.

I will be the first to moan about the long ball.. that policy does sound like a desperate measure.

That aside though i cannot see how a team that reached wembley last season is now relegation fodder.. frankly... that is pants.

The only mystery is how we got to Wembley to be honest.

Our league form last season until January - P24 W12 D7 L5 or 1.79 points per game, near automatic.

Our league form last season from January was mediocre at best. P21 W8 D6 L7... 1.43 points per game, mid table.

Our league form this season is worse still. P22 W6 D9 L7... 1.22 points per game - relegation battle.

That's a worrying trend.

Wrong attitude? It is impossible at the high levels of the game to fill your entire squad with yes men and whilst GJ persists with this apparent policy we are going to stand still or, even worse, go backwards to where we arrived from in the first place. He is paid good money to MANAGE a squad of footballers and if making progress means that one or two he brings in have ego's that he has to massage then he should bloody well earn his money and do it.

Oh I think you will find there are, already, plenty of egos in that dressing room.

I do and here it is....

Steve L is NOT a Gordon Brown or Alastair Darlingless; some people understand the necessity of balancing the books and it is not those last two chaps.

Well if thats the case, you reap what you sew. Lack of ambition just to balance the books.... Sorry for me that is a lame choice when we are now having to spend more on a player that may not be as good.

The only mystery is how we got to Wembley to be honest.

Our league form last season until January - P24 W12 D7 L5 or 1.79 points per game, near automatic.

Our league form last season from January was mediocre at best. P21 W8 D6 L7... 1.43 points per game, mid table.

Our league form this season is worse still. P22 W6 D9 L7... 1.22 points per game - relegation battle.

That's a worrying trend.

well, i cannot see how its a mystery over 46 games.. gary did a superb job last season. he was the driver of the success. the table does not lie.

as for this season.. there i would agree obviously, worrying yes, but i will continue to keep the faith for a long while yet.

Well you assume he knows about this problem becuase his actions and team selection seem to paint another picture dependant on your view point. He plays two of the current squad Noble and Williams on the right side of midfield when both clearly want a central midfield role. And that before we discuss whether they are consistently good enough.

He sold a player (Carle) who he belatedy payed in his preferred posistion once his son became injured. If I accept the transfer was to good to turn down fair enough but to sell without a replacement and still no replacement is negligent in my view. He has tucked in both our wide player for most of the season to date to support a light weight Lee Johnson, depriving us of width an out let and option when in possession of the ball and attacking flair (hense hoof ball). We ae unable to tackle and break up play high enough up the pitch and have been over run in midfield in several games to date

All of the above has been obvious especially at home in the majority of matches to date.

You are right though he does and should know more than the likes of me, except I'm offering my views for free he takes high wages and has the securtiy of a 5 year deal. He is also in the same position as all of his contempories with regard the transfer market but in my view is not a particulalry good exponenet of the art. The club are paying for pan-european trips for the chief scout, we most all hope that we see the fruits of these trips in January.

Incidentally, just saw the line ups and:

1) Why was Fontaine at left back and not Mcallister?

2) Why was Skuse in Central Midfield and not Noble?

3) Maynard and John does not strike me as a partnership that will usually succeed up front. Trundle and Maynard seems like it would be better, that said John did score, so you can never tell.

Selling Carle I thought was a bad move at the time and going on results this year maybe it was.

Well if thats the case, you reap what you sew. Lack of ambition just to balance the books.... Sorry for me that is a lame choice when we are now having to spend more on a player that may not be as good.

totally agree about reaping what you sew but if you think this business, and a business it is whether you like it or not, can spend more than it makes then probably best you do not run your own business.. or, if you do.. i should get out now before it goes tits up.

Well you assume he knows about this problem becuase his actions and team selection seem to paint another picture dependant on your view point. He plays two of the current squad Noble and Williams on the right side of midfield when both clearly want a central midfield role. And that before we discuss whether they are consistently good enough.

He sold a player (Carle) who he belatedy payed in his preferred posistion once his son became injured. If I accept the transfer was to good to turn down fair enough but to sell without a replacement and still no replacement is negligent in my view. He has tucked in both our wide player for most of the season to date to support a light weight Lee Johnson, depriving us of width an out let and option when in possession of the ball and attacking flair (hense hoof ball). We ae unable to tackle and break up play high enough up the pitch and have been over run in midfield in several games to date

All of the above has been obvious especially at home in the majority of matches to date.

You are right though he does and should know more than the likes of me, except I'm offering my views for free he takes high wages and has the securtiy of a 5 year deal. He is also in the same position as all of his contempories with regard the transfer market but in my view is not a particulalry good exponenet of the art. The club are paying for pan-european trips for the chief scout, we most all hope that we see the fruits of these trips in January.

I share your hope for Pete Johnson to pull a few hats out the bag.... we could do with a bit of luck...

sorry.... maybe i should have said rabbits out of the hat!!! that would be preferable :)

Have you not spotted the credit crunch? Football seems to be ignoring it, but it is coming! And we lost £2 million last year despite getting to Wembley, so imagine what our loss is likely to be this year!

And 'reap what you sow' - As evidenced by Leeds, Southampton etc.

Archived