IGNORED

Keep Bradley At Ashton Gate

richie1

Loyalty and commitment in spades?! So loyal and committed that he refuses to sign a new contract after being offered the same deal as the rest of the squad who signed.

All this from a man who was so stupid he could have ruined his own career had it not been for LOYAL and COMMITTED manager and chairman who stood by him when others would have thrown the book at him.

Do you honestly think that the manager and chairman would have stood by him if they hadn't needed him? They were quick enough to get rid of Partridge and Scott Brown because they weren't part of their plans but Orr and Brooker stayed purely because they were needed in the squad at the time, nothing to do with loyalty or commitment.

Out of interest, how do you know what contract Orr has been offered? I was under the impression that it wasn't anything to do with money.

The worry for me is that we have for a long time had a problem scoring goals, that in itself was not such a massive issue as our defence was pretty solid. By transfer listing Orr, GJ has now created himself a further issue, both of which are pretty fundamental, the need to score goals, but now the need to prevent goals.

SL has already stated that he is not going to spend big in the coming months (or something like that) so where does the money go, to a defender to replace Orr, or our midfield/attack?

I'm all for ensuring that wages do not spiral out of control, but sometimes you do not realise what you have until it has gone and I fear the latter could come home to roost with the Orr situation, and for what the sake of a grand a week.............not worth the aggro involved in upsetting what is a good defence and the time spent not concentrating on our attacking options.

That would be up to how the powers that be sell the club to the player, but he is the sort of proven player to take City to the next level and less of a gamble of bringing in someone from lower league football.

I agree to a point - he has proven ability - so would be a good aquisition. But don't forget GJ found Marvin Elliott who came from League one.

But can you name more? I ask because people keep saying that Orr is EASILY replaceable and that there are plenty of right backs.

I agree to a point - he has proven ability - so would be a good aquisition. But don't forget GJ found Marvin Elliott who came from League one.

But can you name more? I ask because people keep saying that Orr is EASILY replaceable and that there are plenty of right backs.

Of course he's easily replaceable. It's not hard to find a right back that can defend, the real trick is to find one who can improve the squad, and that is where the problem is. Such a player would not come cheap.

The point is that Orr is an average player and by that very definition it means that finding another average player to replace him will be easy enough, but as Moomin and I both indicated, this a good chance to Johnson to get in a better player than Orr thereby strengthening the squad.

Who knows - maybe Skuse could become a regular at right back. He certainly has the pace and can defend well. He also has a good engine and if he does settle there that means Johnson can strengthen in other area's using the dosh that Orr's departure will release

Ex Stoke now West Brom squad player, best right back i saw last season.

And his wages would be far higher than any other defender at the club, plus a biggish transfer fee no doubt.

He'd be worth it, but would GJ then upset his favoured players who are supposedly paid withing a tight structure, and would he be worth so much more than Bradley Orr over say a 3 year period?

I think our priorities are a little further up the pitch to be honest but I don't think we will strengthen there.

And his wages would be far higher than any other defender at the club, plus a biggish transfer fee no doubt.

He'd be worth it, but would GJ then upset his favoured players who are supposedly paid withing a tight structure, and would he be worth so much more than Bradley Orr over say a 3 year period?

I think our priorities are a little further up the pitch to be honest but I don't think we will strengthen there.

I agree with you about our priorities and would prefer us to strengthen the midfield as the management should of done in the summer. As regards Hoefkens i was replying to better right backs then Orr who we might have a chance of getting and its that sort of quality player (in all positions) we need to progress, now whether Mr Lansdown is prepared to fund such players is another question.

Personally, I think we need to invest in a player who can be relied upon to distribute the ball accurately on most occasions(as well as the defensive qualities, of course), something that even the most ardent BO fan could not claim was Bradleys forte.

The point is that Orr is an average player and by that very definition it means that finding another average player to replace him will be easy enough, but as Moomin and I both indicated, this a good chance to Johnson to get in a better player than Orr thereby strengthening the squad.

Average? Right back of the year in his first season in the championship - I would say that makes him above average.

Personally, I think we need to invest in a player who can be relied upon to distribute the ball accurately on most occasions(as well as the defensive qualities, of course), something that even the most ardent BO fan could not claim was Bradleys forte.

Wouldn't argue that Bradley isn't the very best passer of a ball, but my point is, he has been good for us, and as funds are tight (I think) we have other areas that probably need attention sooner.

Average? Right back of the year in his first season in the championship - I would say that makes him above average.

Agreed!

When you're voted to be the BEST right back in the division by your fellow pro's it's a bit harsh to call him average and start suggesting that rights backs of his quality are two a penny (which simply isn't true!).

Sure Orr has some deficiancy's, but he played for two whole seasons in a very successful side and scored some vital, memorable goals along the way whilst doing his main job of defending brilliantly well for most of the time.

I still think he's an idiot mind.

I have a feeling GJ will stick with B. Wilson/Skuse/J. Wilson/Riberio/Elliott(!) as cover for that position anyway...

When you're voted to be the BEST right back in the division by your fellow pro's it's a bit harsh to call him average and start suggesting that rights backs of his quality are two a penny (which simply isn't true!).

Thats very misleading. Players don't necessarily vote the most gifted player. They often vote for the most whole hearted and often the one they dislike playing against most. I certainly wouldn't like playing against Orr if I were a winger even if I knew I could beat him for pace. He'd be in yer face and niggling all game but that doesn't make him the best player. It makes him the biggest pain in the arse to play against.

Thats very misleading. Players don't necessarily vote the most gifted player. They often vote for the most whole hearted and often the one they dislike playing against most. I certainly wouldn't like playing against Orr if I were a winger even if I knew I could beat him for pace. He'd be in yer face and niggling all game but that doesn't make him the best player. It makes him the biggest pain in the arse to play against.

It's probably also a bit of a pain in the arse when that player scores against you, like Orr did 5 times last season.

Hmm - GJ basically tells us that we should leave football stuff to the people who do it for a living - when those who play football for a living express the view that Bradley Orr was the best right back in the CCC last year, all of a sudden, their professional views are somehow discredited - what makes the 'best' defender anyway , surely it's the one you hate playing against, and that's generally because they stop you scoring.

Don't get me wrong, if Bradley Orr goes then so be it, but I cannot see the logic of not playing him whilst he's here .

Hmm - GJ basically tells us that we should leave football stuff to the people who do it for a living - when those who play football for a living express the view that Bradley Orr was the best right back in the CCC last year, all of a sudden, their professional views are somehow discredited - what makes the 'best' defender anyway , surely it's the one you hate playing against, and that's generally because they stop you scoring.

Don't get me wrong, if Bradley Orr goes then so be it, but I cannot see the logic of not playing him whilst he's here .

From what ive seen so far THIS season, as in the season that counts, i bet he would not even make the top 10 of championship right backs.

Nobody wants to lose their better players, Orr was offered a decent contract as i understand and decided not to sign it.

Now from GJ & SL's point of view its easy to see why we need to move the matter along swiftly.

Its not just the money, its about the team spirit and commitment, This is GJ mantra guys! by not signing an extension hes simply not committed enough, and you cant have that in the dressing room if you want progress. We cant let one player grind the team to a halt, no matter who it is and what they've done.

The club looked after Orr after his 'incident' and hes come back a better player for it, its a shame some players think only in £ signs and consider not the bigger picture.

Nobody wants to lose their better players, Orr was offered a decent contract as i understand and decided not to sign it.

Now from GJ & SL's point of view its easy to see why we need to move the matter along swiftly.

Its not just the money, its about the team spirit and commitment, This is GJ mantra guys! by not signing an extension hes simply not committed enough, and you cant have that in the dressing room if you want progress. We cant let one player grind the team to a halt, no matter who it is and what they've done.

The club looked after Orr after his 'incident' and hes come back a better player for it, its a shame some players think only in £ signs and consider not the bigger picture.

To take the club further we need a right back with pace and technique. Not Sunday league Bradley Orr.

so why does he still travel with the first team then? if that was the case he would be kept away from the team, but it's not the case, so he obviously isn't a problem in the dressing, so why not play him while he's here?

so why does he still travel with the first team then? if that was the case he would be kept away from the team, but it's not the case, so he obviously isn't a problem in the dressing, so why not play him while he's here?

Sigh..... because if he fails to make a tackle, or he doesn't put his body on the line to prevent a goal-scoring opportunity then fingers will be pointed and people will say - he could've stopped that goal but he's off so he don't care.

Sigh..... because if he fails to make a tackle, or he doesn't put his body on the line to prevent a goal-scoring opportunity then fingers will be pointed and people will say - he could've stopped that goal but he's off so he don't care.

Because when he travels with the team, as opposed to playing, he doesn't have to block shots, make tackles or take part in the game at all. Can I suggest you re-read what I said?

Because when he travels with the team, as opposed to playing, he doesn't have to block shots, make tackles or take part in the game at all. Can I suggest you re-read what I said?

I read what you said, but it's not relevant.

my point is why take a player to away game half way across the country, who's not going to be involved in the slightest and according to some, only likely to be a negative influence in the dressing room due to his allegend desperation to leave.

I read what you said, but it's not relevant.

my point is why take a player to away game half way across the country, who's not going to be involved in the slightest

To let him know whose boss? If he is indeed made to go travel to away games the worst thing for Orr must be not being involved on the pitch. It must be a a bummer having to travel to away games sometimes staying overnight with the full knowledge that you won't even be warming up. That must be an irritation/frustration for him. Johnson will know that and he's sending out a clear message to any player who might be tempted to the same thing as Orr in the future.

But... its Orr's choice not so sign a new deal at City.

Apart from the leaving bit, it doesn't sound like Bradley at all, but It does remind me of someone else, who is not leaving.

Archived