IGNORED

Stern John - On Reflection,

Meh

A couple of days ago, I was willing to concede that GJ obviously knows best and perhaps the lazy player i'm seeing has a lot more to offer, but, things are rankling me.

The obvious thing is his lack of involvement. The guy won't move 3 yards towards the ball, he expects it right to his feet. He rarely jumps for a header, instantly giving away possession and you don't win fouls unless you leave the ground at any level. The ref needs to see a genuine challenge being stopped. On Sunday, he won one header; Maynard won three ffs !!

We have our Manager stating you won't see him move much on the pitch, but, he is great around the other lads and the dressing room. Remind you of anybody? Maybe a £1M striker lots of people, at least prior to this week (before the great Stern John love in started) wanted to see start ahead of Stern John.

Trundle has been publicly chastised by GJ for his lack of involvement. Stern it seems, has been given full approval for the same thing!! Trundle, for me, does put in the effort, however, his lack of pace/mobility hampers him as it does Stern. Why one rule for one ageing player and totally different for another?

Prior, to Maynard's recent emergence, many people have questioned GJ in the transfer market. I suggest his latest backing of Stern is due to the now apparent fact that he was here for the season irrespective of how he performed.

The majority on here were baying for SJ to go back to the Saints only last week, so what's changed so quickly?

Apparently his performance at Palarse helped, albeit, I don't see that as he once again didn't move and apart from one or two neat passes all we saw was a poor shot which should have been buried.

The other reason is he has been praised by Ivan and Sproule on the Official Spin site. Firstly, what are they going to say? "yeah, Stern's a lazy ####### so I don't really know why he plays". Get real; players will say what they are expected to say and what they are prompted to say or it is a 1-way ticket to the bench or reserves.

If you take Nicky; I have commented as others have, that it is obvious that the aforementioned Trundle has been very supportive of him; always encouraging, always going over to give a quick word or pat on the head (that's when he can actually get on the pitch). If anybody outwardly appears to be mentoring Maynard, it is LT. However, suddenly, although you see little talking on the pitch between the two, it is Stern that is the one helping the young lad out.

I would suggest, it is a mixture of all the experienced players helping out the young lads i.e Trundle, Adebola, Stern, Carey etc., however, in the week the club announces a relatively unsuccessful loan signing is here for the season; a loan signing that has been questioned by a vocal majority; all we hear is how great he has been.

Sorry, I don't buy it. His performances are not good enough and they are plenty of other players who are good around the dressing room. He should have gone back to the Saints.

The simple fact is we were lead to believe we actually had an option to release in January when we plainly did not, unless GJ was to back-track on a gents agreement that would reflect badly on the club.

Ivan and Nicky are doing their jobs. They would say the same if Trundle was due to leave in January and then decided to stay.

Orr will be another example. If he goes, some player or other will be on the main site stating we can cope, we will bring in a better player etc. If he stays, the same player will be stating how chuffed the squad is !!

Just for a second, forget GJ's approval of Stern not having to work hard for the team (even though he drops Trundle and Noble for that very reason). Forget Nicky and Ivan singing his praises and ask yourself; has he truly done enough to warrant large wages and a regular starting place?

A couple of days ago, I was willing to concede that GJ obviously knows best and perhaps the lazy player i'm seeing has a lot more to offer, but, things are rankling me.

The obvious thing is his lack of involvement. The guy won't move 3 yards towards the ball, he expects it right to his feet. He rarely jumps for a header, instantly giving away possession and you don't win fouls unless you leave the ground at any level. The ref needs to see a genuine challenge being stopped. On Sunday, he won one header; Maynard won three ffs !!

We have our Manager stating you won't see him move much on the pitch, but, he is great around the other lads and the dressing room. Remind you of anybody? Maybe a £1M striker lots of people, at least prior to this week (before the great Stern John love in started) wanted to see start ahead of Stern John.

Trundle has been publicly chastised by GJ for his lack of involvement. Stern it seems, has been given full approval for the same thing!! Trundle, for me, does put in the effort, however, his lack of pace/mobility hampers him as it does Stern. Why one rule for one ageing player and totally different for another?

Prior, to Maynard's recent emergence, many people have questioned GJ in the transfer market. I suggest his latest backing of Stern is due to the now apparent fact that he was here for the season irrespective of how he performed.

The majority on here were baying for SJ to go back to the Saints only last week, so what's changed so quickly?

Apparently his performance at Palarse helped, albeit, I don't see that as he once again didn't move and apart from one or two neat passes all we saw was a poor shot which should have been buried.

The other reason is he has been praised by Ivan and Sproule on the Official Spin site. Firstly, what are they going to say? "yeah, Stern's a lazy ####### so I don't really know why he plays". Get real; players will say what they are expected to say and what they are prompted to say or it is a 1-way ticket to the bench or reserves.

If you take Nicky; I have commented as others have, that it is obvious that the aforementioned Trundle has been very supportive of him; always encouraging, always going over to give a quick word or pat on the head (that's when he can actually get on the pitch). If anybody outwardly appears to be mentoring Maynard, it is LT. However, suddenly, although you see little talking on the pitch between the two, it is Stern that is the one helping the young lad out.

I would suggest, it is a mixture of all the experienced players helping out the young lads i.e Trundle, Adebola, Stern, Carey etc., however, in the week the club announces a relatively unsuccessful loan signing is here for the season; a loan signing that has been questioned by a vocal majority; all we hear is how great he has been.

Sorry, I don't buy it. His performances are not good enough and they are plenty of other players who are good around the dressing room. He should have gone back to the Saints.

The simple fact is we were lead to believe we actually had an option to release in January when we plainly did not, unless GJ was to back-track on a gents agreement that would reflect badly on the club.

Ivan and Nicky are doing their jobs. They would say the same if Trundle was due to leave in January and then decided to stay.

Orr will be another example. If he goes, some player or other will be on the main site stating we can cope, we will bring in a better player etc. If he stays, the same player will be stating how chuffed the squad is !!

Just for a second, forget GJ's approval of Stern not having to work hard for the team (even though he drops Trundle and Noble for that very reason). Forget Nicky and Ivan singing his praises and ask yourself; has he truly done enough to warrant large wages and a regular starting place?

good post with some great points.

The only reason i could think we're playing him is reputation ? Like what he CAN do in some games

And history, 8 goals behing Pele in international football

I'd still have Trundle over him week in week out

has he truly done enough to warrant large wages and a regular starting place?

Not even close in my view. We're paying him an awful lot of money and 2 goals in 8 appearances isn't a good return for it.

It was interesting to note that the balance of opinion on here a week or two back was to send him back but that now it's become clear it was always a season long loan and the club have put some spin on it that balance seems to have shifted.

Completely agree and I've said the same on another thread.

What's good for the goose should be good for the gander, unless that ganders name is Lee Trundle of course. :whistle:

Not even close in my view. We're paying him an awful lot of money and 2 goals in 8 appearances isn't a good return for it.

It was interesting to note that the balance of opinion on here a week or two back was to send him back but that now it's become clear it was always a season long loan and the club have put some spin on it that balance seems to have shifted.

I don't think the balance has necessarily shifted, we're just resigned to the fact Stern is staying so have to make the best of it.

I think there will be huge outpouring of disappointment, even anger, on this forum if this turn of events triggers Trundle's departure.

Trundle and Maynard would be a far more productive partnership IMO., and I still hope we'll see it for a prolonged period.

I don't think the balance has necessarily shifted, we're just resigned to the fact Stern is staying so have to make the best of it.

I think there will be huge outpouring of disappointment, even anger, on this forum if this turn of events triggers Trundle's departure.

Trundle and Maynard would be a far more productive partnership IMO., and I still hope we'll see it for a prolonged period.

Yeah i think John will start more games then not now

Because, as you said, he's here until the end of the season so you may as well make the most of it

No point of extending a loan to put the player on the bench every game

Yeah i think John will start more games then not now

Because, as you said, he's here until the end of the season so you may as well make the most of it

No point of extending a loan to put the player on the bench every game

Just to be clear, we didn't extend his loan.

It was a season long loan from day one. They just didn't tell us that.

Very good post.

I seem to recall Lansdown saying a few years back that we would never sign anyone who's past their best and whilst Stern John is only here on loan he is IMO well past his sell by date.

This club puts out more spin than New Labour.

The "good for the dressing room spirit" being attributed to John's retention is in line with giving Scott Murray a one year deal too. On this basis I reckon we could be paying nigh on £10k per week in wages to our two comedians - could we sign Jack Dee or Frank Skinner for less?

I would really like to be inspired by our transfer window activity but I feel I won't be.

Really good and thoughtful post. I completely agree on the Trundle vs John issue, and also, on the looking through club 'spin'. I don't particularly blame GJ and BCFC for keeping cards close to their chest; there's no way a club can be 100% honest in public or all havoc would break loose. And for all those who think GJ is immune from criticism, this is not a lack of confidence in him. I believe he is the best manager we've had for over a decade, he is doing a wonderful job, but there is no such thing as the perfect manager, and it is our right as fans to highlight, hopefully for constructive purposes, any problems we might see with how the team/club seems to be run. There needs to be a balance between blind following even when things are going dreadfully and criticism and actually thinking independently.

I am probably in the minority but I think we look a better team and more likely to score a goal when John is in the team. His movement is better than Trundles, has pace and is proven at this level. Not saying Trundle is a bad player because I like him too.

Trundle hasn't worked out and he had plenty of games at the start of last season to cement a place, his cameo appearances like Nobles seem to bring out the best in him, I don't believe he does enough when he starts a game.

We are now finally playing football again and I fully expect to see John score some goals now, especially when it looks like we have a couple of wingers at the club again.

So I'm pleased we got him on board, and for a player that is proven at this level you have to pay the wages.

I am probably in the minority but I think we look a better team and more likely to score a goal when John is in the team. His movement is better than Trundles, has pace and is proven at this level. Not saying Trundle is a bad player because I like him too.

Trundle hasn't worked out and he had plenty of games at the start of last season to cement a place, his cameo appearances like Nobles seem to bring out the best in him, I don't believe he does enough when he starts a game.

We are now finally playing football again and I fully expect to see John score some goals now, especially when it looks like we have a couple of wingers at the club again.

So I'm pleased we got him on board, and for a player that is proven at this level you have to pay the wages.

Agree completely! Everyone I go to games with agrees hes a really good player! Hes improving our team performance and we do look a far more attacking threat when hes on the pitch! I think its crazy how people on here slate him! He's a class act who is proven at this level!!

Some of you need to get of your high horse and realise that we're not the biggest and best team in the league and that we're lucky to have such an experienced proven player like John in our team!!

And yes he does have a lazy style of play but so do alot of good players. If John had alot of energy and was chasing down everything he would be at a bigger club than ours!!

We have the balance right with him and maynard and look like scoring and winning games yet people want him out!! :disapointed2se:

I may be in the minority but I am happy that Stern John is staying. I agree that he can be frustrating at times when he doesnt appear to give his all in a game but at the end of the day, everyone on here will agree that we have been lacking quality up front and he brings us that.

Him and Nicky Maynard have forged a really good partnership and if you don't think it is anything to do with Stern John that Nicky Maynard is scoring goals you are simply wrong.

He may not be the perfect player but is heads and shoulders above Trundle. I really don't see what the big deal with Trundle is, he gets this godly adoration from a lot of fans and he has scored about 6 goals in 60 games for us. Trundle is good to come on for the last 20 mins and frustrate opposition defences but other than that he is useless.

Long may the John/Maynard front two continue. The last two games (Watford, Palace) are the best football we have played for over a year and I would not want to change it for the world at the mo.

Fantastic post agree with virtually everything in there

I posted in a previous thread the similarities between John and Berbatov, please don't think I'm saying John is anywhere near Berbatov but lets not forget he came to us short of games and it's taken him a while to settle in as it would most players, remember we didn't see the best of Trundle until the end of last season.

Not all players should be judged on their work rate but what I have noticed is that Nicky gets a lot more space playing with John. Also some of his performances have been good, he was my man of the match against forest and could have easily score a trick on another day and his first touch is as good as anyone at the club, penalty against Burnley being an example of this.

He doesn't always look the most enthused but he's scored close to 100 league goals and you don't get them without working on being in the right place at the right time.

Give the guy a chance not so long ago Maynard was a waste of money and now he's the toast of the town?!

You don't have to run around like a headless chicken to be a good player. Teddy Sheringham never moved that much but was effective in what he did. Stern John looks lazy but he does make intelligent runs to drag defenders to make room for Maynard which Adebola doesnt do .

I agree that Trundle would do be very effective in the middle of a three man strike force but we don't see what goes on in training. Perhaps GJ has tried it and it didnt look good ??

We can't complain because for the first time in probably 2 years we have a forward line that has got good balance. If SJ plays the majority of the games left this season then i am sure he will score a fair few goals.

I posted in a previous thread the similarities between John and Berbatov, please don't think I'm saying John is anywhere near Berbatov but lets not forget he came to us short of games and it's taken him a while to settle in as it would most players, remember we didn't see the best of Trundle until the end of last season.

Not all players should be judged on their work rate but what I have noticed is that Nicky gets a lot more space playing with John. Also some of his performances have been good, he was my man of the match against forest and could have easily score a trick on another day and his first touch is as good as anyone at the club, penalty against Burnley being an example of this.

He doesn't always look the most enthused but he's scored close to 100 league goals and you don't get them without working on being in the right place at the right time.

Give the guy a chance not so long ago Maynard was a waste of money and now he's the toast of the town?!

He's scored 86 goals in 219 starts and 84 sub appearances over 9 years at this level. That's less than 10 goals and 25 starts per season and those numbers are only going to go down at his age. So when people say proven player, what exactly do they mean?

John is a fairly intelligent player with good vision and can strike a ball well, his touch is nothing special and nor is his movement. He isn't going to be any more effective a partner for Maynard than Trundle would be IF we played the ball on the floor properly IMO.

I tend to agree with you screech. LT had alot of chances last year to become a first team regular but failed to take them imo. Tbh i cant see why all the loving for the bloke, Yea he shows some great skill on ocassions but he doesnt seem to perform week in week out. He does seem to be more of an impact player coming off the bench late on in games.

What i cant understand is everyone slagging off SJ saying he's not worth the money as he's lazy, doesnt track back, cant win headers and he's only scored 2 goals in 8 games. Now if i remember correctly a certain LT who cost £1m and around £10000 p/wk was exactlly the same last season and when he wasn't getting selected all the LT fan club were coming on here complaining. So whats the difference??

I do believe SJ will be a great addition to our squad and in time he will score more goals. He is proven at this level so give him time to settle. Him and NM seem to be striking up a good partnership at the min which is great to see. I also think GJ will try to improve SJ's work rate as he has with LT

I tend to agree with you screech. LT had alot of chances last year to become a first team regular but failed to take them imo. Tbh i cant see why all the loving for the bloke, Yea he shows some great skill on ocassions but he doesnt seem to perform week in week out. He does seem to be more of an impact player coming off the bench late on in games.

What i cant understand is everyone slagging off SJ saying he's not worth the money as he's lazy, doesnt track back, cant win headers and he's only scored 2 goals in 8 games. Now if i remember correctly a certain LT who cost £1m and around £10000 p/wk was exactlly the same last season and when he wasn't getting selected all the LT fan club were coming on here complaining. So whats the difference??

I do believe SJ will be a great addition to our squad and in time he will score more goals. He is proven at this level so give him time to settle. Him and NM seem to be striking up a good partnership at the min which is great to see. I also think GJ will try to improve SJ's work rate as he has with LT

Trundle never had a problem with workrate or movement or tracking back. If you watched him play he worked extremely hard. The problem with him was twofold - we never gave him a chance to form a partnership with another striker and we played hoofball to him instead of giving him the ball to feet, simple as that.

The point is we already had Trundle, Stern John is costing us much more than he is every week and whether you think he's offering more or less it certainly isn't enough more to make it value for money.

Trundle never had a problem with workrate or movement or tracking back. If you watched him play he worked extremely hard. The problem with him was twofold - we never gave him a chance to form a partnership with another striker and we played hoofball to him instead of giving him the ball to feet, simple as that.

The point is we already had Trundle, Stern John is costing us much more than he is every week and whether you think he's offering more or less it certainly isn't enough more to make it value for money.

Thats not what GJ said. Are you questioning his judgement?? :disapointed2se:

The ONLY problem I would have with John being here would be if Styver is signed. In that instance you then have two well paid strikers (not including Trundle and Adebola) competing for one striking role when funds could be allocated elsewhere.

In my opinion John has a fantastic touch, good footballing brain and a pedigree unmatched by any other striker, or player, at the club.

I would also very much doubt that Sproule has been forced to spout some false rhetoric in attempt to win over fans. If you choose not to believe it then fair enough but I somehow fail to believe GJ has forced Sproule to issue an untrue statement.

If John scores 2 in the next 3 games he will be the new darling. Let us not forget that until recently Maynard was a 'waste of money' and en masse fans were packing Sproule's bags in anticipation of January.

If that's what he said then yes, I think he got it wrong. I don't think he said it though.

Are you suggesting GJ has never been wrong?

What are you basing your opinions of Trundle on?

Yes that is what he said regarding LT

I'm not suggesting GJ is never wrong but on this ocassion i believe him to be right and you to be wrong.

My opinions of LT are based on watching him play obviously. Ive watched him alot in the last year and a half and tend to agree with GJ

Just to be clear, we didn't extend his loan.

It was a season long loan from day one. They just didn't tell us that.

Are you sure of that?

According to the PFA website:

"Striker John, who joined the Robins in October, originally signed until the end of the year. But Johnson revealed he had an informal agreement with Southampton counterpart Jan Poortvliet to keep the Trinidad and Tobago star for longer if the move worked out."

I would suggest that if either side was unhappy then he would not have been kept on till the end of the season.

No different in principle to a loan with a view to a permanent transfer.

Are you sure of that?

According to the PFA website:

"Striker John, who joined the Robins in October, originally signed until the end of the year. But Johnson revealed he had an informal agreement with Southampton counterpart Jan Poortvliet to keep the Trinidad and Tobago star for longer if the move worked out."

I would suggest that if either side was unhappy then he would not have been kept on till the end of the season.

No different in principle to a loan with a view to a permanent transfer.

The Southampton chairman said at their AGM that the loan was always a season long one, I'm sure there was a get out though, anything else would be madness.

Yes that is what he said regarding LT

I'm not suggesting GJ is never wrong but on this ocassion i believe him to be right and you to be wrong.

My opinions of LT are based on watching him play obviously. Ive watched him alot in the last year and a half and tend to agree with GJ

You have a link to the manager saying that because I read most if not all of his interviews and I've never heard or read him say it?

So in all the times you've watched LT you've never noticed that he plays very well when we give him the ball to feet facing goal and doesn't when we don't?

And you think he has a lack of workrate when he's frequently found running the channels wide and deep to try and make himself available?

Strange point of view but each to their own.

To be honest I just don't see the point in get going against John we have him for the season Maynard's and Sproule's form happen to improve in recent. Then Sproule makes big praise of him. BUt yes I'm sure we would rather he hadn't of come the other two players still not be on the best form possibly Maynard may have picked up anyway . But as for sproule he hasn't that form since buying him. Personally I think John will come good and in a few months you'll be saying he just took a while to settle in just like maynard. Anyway thats just my point of view oh and didn't John get the assist of the only goal to maynard? seriously guys I think for some it's a bitter pill to swallow which I suppose it is people see him not as talented as trundle and work effort not as much yet he is doing the job.

I couldn't agree more - excellent post.

We play better football with John in the team and he appears a very good foil for Nicky Maynard.

Whilst I think Trundle is a great personailty and love to watch his cameos (second half agains Plymouth was sensational) he simply doesn't have it in his locker to do it consistently at this level. Given the choice between Trundle and John, I have no doubt that John gives more to the team and will score (and create) more goals. There simply isn't a place for Lee Trundle in our side. Unfortunately he is a bit of a luxury player at this level.

So in all the times you've watched LT you've never noticed that he plays very well when we give him the ball to feet facing goal and doesn't when we don't?

And you think he has a lack of workrate when he's frequently found running the channels wide and deep to try and make himself available?

What does Stern offer that LT doesnt is the question then?

Well i suppose he plays more with his back to goal whereas LT likes to be facing his man. SJ isnt particularly good at it though.

His apparent work rate is worse and his tracking back is non exsistant.

I would imagine his goals to game rate is similar BUT at a higher level.

I should imagine that LT is asking himself the same questions.

Stern seems to be a player that the manager will make allowances for that he wouldnt make for others. Also we are hitting a bit of form with him in the team in a 4-3-3 which in a managers eyes will be the best reason to select him.

Re his wages; surely we will be paying a % ? If not then an element of getting our moneys worth comes into it?

MY opinion of him hasnt changed at all.

Good player, good touch, wins pens, decent record at this level BUT very frustrating to watch.imho.

Archived