IGNORED

Styvar

The Man In Black

It appears, from listening to the fans around me, that if you don't play a stunner in the first 30 minutes of your first home league game on foreign soil you are undeniably s**t.

"When has Johnson ever made a decent signing?" etc. etc.

So lets just sell him now and cut our losses. It would make some of the fans happy.

It appears, from listening to the fans around me, that if you don't play a stunner in the first 30 minutes of your first home league game on foreign soil you are undeniably s**t.

So lets just sell him now and cut our losses. It would make some of the fans happy.

I agree.

Give him a break!

It took Ronaldo two seasons to settle into the Premier League and he is now the best player in the world.

He is in a new country with a entirely different culture. A different team where he won't know everyone nor will he be able to speak to them that well as i doubt his english will be that good.

He is playing in a different league which is much better than the slovenian leagues and i think he is more of a winger than a striker.

Now with the two week break Johnson can have a proper look at him and find his best position.

The conditions were tough for him to make an impression today and i think he simply needs more time to adjust to the pace of the English game as he has stated that he finds the pace ''frightening''. He'll come good and the whingers will always need something to whinge about!

It annoys me when fans never give players the chance :ranting: After 3 or 4 games fans were calling for the head of Maynard and he now looks to be a very good signing. People often forget the Johnson signings for less amounts of money e.g: McAlister, McCombe, Fontaine, Elliot, adebola ect.

ALWAYS BELIEVE :city:

Pompey away - out of position, beautiful pass to sproule (fairly good game)

Pompey home - In correct position but vs Campbell and Distin so unlucky! Didn't do anything wrong

Wolves home - upfront on his own, struggled due to good defending and poor conditions and replaced by Adebola who was outstanding

don't JUDGE HIM ON THIS

first 2 games against a prem club then a game against top of the league, not exactly easy

I was always sure maynard would do well, but he was written off on here!

To be fair I think some of the people where I sit would moan if we signed Kaka and he didn't score within 15 minutes. They're in a world of their own sometimes.

It's a mentality thing. The bloke is in a catch 22 situation at the moment and he aint going to get used to the English game without playing, therefore fans need to cut him some slack. It's the same scenario as with Maynard and him adjusting from League One to the Championship, and look what a player he is becoming.

I was always sure maynard would do well, but he was written off on here!

Of course, but sadly that's always been the case and probably always will be. I said when we signed Styvar that within 3 games people would be writing him off if he wasn't an instant success. The factors that might contribute to his performance (new country, league, style of football etc) don't seem to register with these people.

It's a mentality thing. The bloke is in a catch 22 situation at the moment and he aint going to get used to the English game without playing, therefore fans need to cut him some slack. It's the same scenario as with Maynard and him adjusting from League One to the Championship, and look what a player he is becoming.

Exactly, the guy has said how fast the pace of the English game is. I am sure we will be singing his prases next season. :fingerscrossed:

I agree.

Give him a break!

It took Ronaldo two seasons to settle into the Premier League and he is now the best player in the world.

He is in a new country with a entirely different culture. A different team where he won't know everyone nor will he be able to speak to them that well as i doubt his english will be that good.

He is playing in a different league which is much better than the slovenian leagues and i think he is more of a winger than a striker.

Now with the two week break Johnson can have a proper look at him and find his best position.

I thought i read somewhere that he was an out 'n' out striker. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

To be fair I think some of the people where I sit would moan if we signed Kaka and he didn't score within 15 minutes. They're in a world of their own sometimes.

Where exactly do you sit out of cureosity?(sp?)

Johnson (Gary) got the first 55 minutes totally wrong in my view. He has asked too much of Styvar too soon and the result was that he put in a truly awful 45 minutes that resulted in him being binned after 45 minutes. How that is going to help the lad adjust to English football is beyond me - he probably feels lower than a snakes belly tonight. Styvar needs a sensible introduction to English football over the remainder of the season with a mixture of substitute and carefully selected starting appearances thrown in until he makes the necessary adjustments to his game - throwing him in at the deep end and potentially destroying the lads confidence for a few weeks after three games strikes me as being unecessary and an error of judgement by GJ.

Tactically Johnson and the players made a complete pigs ear of the first half. Yes, we had the wind but to try and use the wind instead of playing football undone much of the good attacking work of the previous five matches. My message to GJ is please forget you ever met John Beck and consign his dinosaur Route 1 tactics to the darkest corner of the football museum where they belong. What was even more galling in the end is that when we started playing football (with Adebola on the field of play and when we were facing the worst of the conditions by the way) we stretched Wolves back four all over the shop and we could have easily walked away with three points.

Having said all of the above the last half hour was absolutely fantastic to watch and more than made up for what went on before it. I would like to think, however, that GJ is slightly disappointed that we didn't take all three points tonight rather than being elated that we got a single point against a Wolves side that we were capable of turning over.

FFS! Give the guy a chance. He's played less than 2.5 games, two against PL defenders and the rest in dreadfull conditions.He's new to England, unused to our style of play and probably a bit lonely and homesick.

Judge him after a dozen games or so not when he's hardly had time to unpack.

Same block as you. I registered the first bone of discontent on about 21 minutes and constantly calls for his substitution from 28 minutes.

Yeah thought so, many fickle fans in that block.

A mate of mine who i fit with moaned about him for last two home games.

Despite my best efforts to tell him about the languague barrier, style of play, and the huge difference in the standard of leagues; he still gets on his back.

I think it's unbelieveable. :disapointed2se:

What row are you in btw?

I think OP is missing the point - The big question is why Styvar is starting ahead of John or Adebola. John may not have played well lately, but seems to bring the best out of Maynard. Dele has played well on his substitute appearances, and yet they get pushed back for a guy who, quite frankly, looks lost. He will need time to adjust, but that would be better by starting as a substitute, and being eased in gradually. I don't think that anyone is judging Styvar as rubbish, just wondering why he is starting when he is clearly struggling to adapt to the English game.

FFS! Give the guy a chance. He's played less than 2.5 games, two against PL defenders and the rest in dreadfull conditions.He's new to England, unused to our style of play and probably a bit lonely and homesick.

Judge him after a dozen games or so not when he's hardly had time to unpack.

Agree with all of that. Which makes the decision to start him tonight over Adebola or John all the more bizarre.

I think OP is missing the point - The big question is why Styvar is starting ahead of John or Adebola. John may not have played well lately, but seems to bring the best out of Maynard. Dele has played well on his substitute appearances, and yet they get pushed back for a guy who, quite frankly, looks lost. He will need time to adjust, but that would be better by starting as a substitute, and being eased in gradually. I don't think that anyone is judging Styvar as rubbish, just wondering why he is starting when he is clearly struggling to adapt to the English game.

Agree, I'm suprised GJ has thrown him in at the deep end so quickly, as you said bringing him on as a sub to ease him in would be the best option IMO.

Yeah thought so, many fickle fans in that block.

A mate of mine who i fit with moaned about him for last two home games.

Despite my best efforts to tell him about the languague barrier, style of play, and the huge difference in the standard of leagues; he still gets on his back.

I think it's unbelieveable. :disapointed2se:

What row are you in btw?

Row Y. Not far from the bloke who yells 'challenge' every time the opposition team get the ball.

Johnson (Gary) got the first 55 minutes totally wrong in my view. He has asked too much of Styvar too soon and the result was that he put in a truly awful 45 minutes that resulted in him being binned after 45 minutes. How that is going to help the lad adjust to English football is beyond me - he probably feels lower than a snakes belly tonight. Styvar needs a sensible introduction to English football over the remainder of the season with a mixture of substitute and carefully selected starting appearances thrown in until he makes the necessary adjustments to his game - throwing him in at the deep end and potentially destroying the lads confidence for a few weeks after three games strikes me as being unecessary and an error of judgement by GJ.

Tactically Johnson and the players made a complete pigs ear of the first half. Yes, we had the wind but to try and use the wind instead of playing football undone much of the good attacking work of the previous five matches. My message to GJ is please forget you ever met John Beck and consign his dinosaur Route 1 tactics to the darkest corner of the football museum where they belong. What was even more galling in the end is that when we started playing football (with Adebola on the field of play and when we were facing the worst of the conditions by the way) we stretched Wolves back four all over the shop and we could have easily walked away with three points.

Having said all of the above the last half hour was absolutely fantastic to watch and more than made up for what went on before it. I would like to think, however, that GJ is slightly disappointed that we didn't take all three points tonight rather than being elated that we got a single point against a Wolves side that we were capable of turning over.

Well said Greebo, sums up what I wanted to say but in a much better way I'm sure. Styvar/Deep End springs to mind.

I thought the Wolves were going to be better than they performed today and if we hadn't gifted them a couple of goals we would have taken the three points.

The performance gives me hope that we can push on and do well from now on.

ps That - due to Mr Daniels taking effect - took about 10 mins to post. :wacko:

Gary Johnson can't win really. He signs Styvar and plays him and a portion of fans (and I will admit to being of that opinion) thinks he should should be broken in gently by starting out on the bench and getting aclimatised to the pace of the game over here and learning the language a little. On the other hand if GJ brought him over and played him from the bench a larger proportion (or is that a more vocal proportion?) would be clogging up this forum with "spending money on a forward to warm the bench why did he bother" So I can see why he has started all 3 game so far. All I can say is I'm glad I'm not the manager because you can please some of the fans some of the time but you'll never please all the fans all of the time and as we know you'll never please certain fans at all.

i was quite encouraged by Styvar today. His first instinct was to try knock the ball into Nicky's path, don't get me wrong, he failed in his efforts a few times, but that is promising wouldn't you agree?

if Nick and Pete sort out a decent understanding over the next few games, and Pete gets those little flicks and passes right it will result in more chances for Nicky, something that has unsuprisingly been a problem for the larger majority of this season.

Feed the Nick and he will score! =]

and Adebola as an impact player also looks promising, ball at his feet, he is still one of the most powerful and direct strikers in the country and definatly a BIG asset for the club

Guest wheres your caravan??
Yeah, not to far from me aswell then.

He must shout it atleast 15 times a game.

'Get into them' is another personal favourite of his aswell. :shutup:

Out of interset where do you sit?

Archived