IGNORED

Izzy Iriekpen?

cityseb

My Swansea supporting mate tells me that Iriekpen is one of the poorest centre backs they've had in years, just has pace and nothing else. Please, let's not sign him!! :noexpression:

Centre back with pace! when was the last time we had one of those?

I don't think a 6 month deal would hurt. If Gary thinks he will add something to the squad then I will go with his judgement as he hasn't done to badly so far.

yeah, 6 months as cover, can't really hurt, especially for someone who is a free agent,

generally his long term perm signings have been good, but his short term contracts (andy smith and savage) and loan deals can leave alot to be desired!

its on skysports as championship top story now too.

got to admit suprised i suppose at the just the fact he hasnt really doen alot recently, not got the greatest record

but hopefully as others have said if true, will be a good short term back up , and who knows could turn into a very good player for us .

:englandsmile4wf:

just seen some extended comments from Hamilton manager on sky sports, got to be honest, the bold comments are the sort of things that Gary normally says, considering these and how he left Swansea and Scunny......find it odd that he would bring someone like this in?

Former S****horpe defender Izzy Iriekpen looks set to snub SPL side Hamilton and join Bristol City.

Hamilton boss Billy Reid believes that former S****horpe defender is heading for Ashton Gate after a deal fell through.

Reid revealed Iriekpen had not spoken to him to tell him of his change of mind but that he now believed the defender was due at Bristol City.

"He phoned me and told me would sign for Hamilton Accies but he has gone back on his word, which is disappointing," he said.

"But we don't want a football player like that at our club so we will move on. We are frustrated but we will add a few players before the window shuts.

"I got word on Saturday. His agent didn't know anything about it and his agent heard last night at 11 o'clock.

"I think he's going to sign for Bristol City."

i remember another player who's fans ( can you call Millwall supporters fans ), said he was lazy and not interested when it appeared there was interest from us, also it seems he had fallen out with his manager as well .....

Marvin i think his first name was. :innocent06:

anyone care to comment on how he's doing now ? :icecream:

:englandsmile4wf:

Back to Iriekpen, with Jamie McCombe having had an injury interrupted season, Louis Carey now 32 and having missed a fair few games himself in 2008, GJ obviously sees an experienced 27 year old defender (who I believe can also play left back), as useful cover.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but let's see how he gets on.

i think its a sensible signing, low wages, no transfer fee for an experienced player in a position where we need short term cover as in the long term we have the likes of ribeiro and wilson.

leaves the rest of GJ's budget to spend on the goalscoring, goal creating, left and right footed, attacking midfielder every one has been crying out for :innocent06:

My gut feel is that if we need cover we should get someone on loan instead of offering a perm contract to somebody who doesn't improve on what we have.

Loan till the end of the season or short term contract till end of the season?

What's the difference?

Not an improvement IMO, but with mccombe out and cover, needs must et all, if it's till the end of season I can understand, does anyone have any idea of the length of contract he turning down, to come here, if true?

And if true why would someone turn down a contract to come here for 5 months? does'nt make sense, unless he's signing till beyond the summer! That's if it true.

Loan till the end of the season or short term contract till end of the season?

What's the difference?

Seems unlikely to me that a free agent with other offers on the table will take a short term contract. If we're offering him a perm deal my guess is it will be 30 months minimum, which is why I'd prefer a loan.

Seems unlikely to me that a free agent with other offers on the table will take a short term contract.

I'd have to agree - and as a free agent, his own agent should be seeking a higher wage in view of transfer fee savings.

Seems really odd if true

I think Iriekpen would be a good signing and if it doesn't work out what have we lost? This must be the favour that Johnson owns Iriekpen after Iriekpen stood up for Johnson after Johnsons crunch tackle :laugh:!! I actually thought we might have signed him when we first got promoted.

I have only seen him play against us in our promotion season and he didn't give our attack a kick. Big, Quick, mean Centre Back fits the bill perfectly. Has championship experience as well seem a clever buy to me if it happens that is.

I'd have to agree - and as a free agent, his own agent should be seeking a higher wage in view of transfer fee savings.

Seems really odd if true

looking at the hamilton info, they were only offering him a deal till the end of the season.

I'm sure he'd rather have a 6month contract in the championship than the Scots Prem, both in terms of standard of football and salary.

If he's a 6month deal, then can't really have many complaints, any longer then it's an odd one, as I don't think he's going to be any better than what we already have, in terms of Carey, McCombe and Fontaine

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/sport/Brist...il/article.html

sounds like he's actually training with us at the moment and could join until end of season.

also note thier quote....

Although former West Ham United trainee Iriekpen has yet to play in the Championship, he boasts an impressive record in the lower leagues, having made 121 appearances for Swansea between 2003 and 2007 and helping the Welsh club achieve promotion from both League Two and League One.

hmmmm......what a bunch of idiots!!! really should do their research properly......so he left in 2007? but played a part in their 2008 promotion? and obviously he played in the championship for Scunny.....seriously....what a bunch of muppets!

looking at the hamilton info, they were only offering him a deal till the end of the season.

I'm sure he'd rather have a 6month contract in the championship than the Scots Prem, both in terms of standard of football and salary.

If he's a 6month deal, then can't really have many complaints, any longer then it's an odd one, as I don't think he's going to be any better than what we already have, in terms of Carey, McCombe and Fontaine

If it is a 6 month deal then I won't be bothered at all, it will be a good signing because it's low financial risk and if he's great we can always offer him a new deal.

also note thier quote....

Although former West Ham United trainee Iriekpen has yet to play in the Championship, he boasts an impressive record in the lower leagues, having made 121 appearances for Swansea between 2003 and 2007 and helping the Welsh club achieve promotion from both League Two and League One.

Oh dear!!!

hmmmm......what a bunch of idiots!!! really should do their research properly......so he left in 2007? but played a part in their 2008 promotion? and obviously he played in the championship for Scunny.....seriously....what a bunch of muppets!

Presumably that's Andy "I always check my facts" Stockhausen, again?

17 games in the Championship last season for Iriekpen, actually.

Mind you he also said West Brom "bounced straight back to the Premier League" when I could have sworn I saw them lose the play off final the year before they went up..........

If Hamilton offered him a deal, he would be mad to turn it down just for a trial with us.

it seems crazy, especially given the way he turned them down after he'd given his word he would join them.

seems even his agent was in the dark about it.....very odd.

I have seen him 3 times and he has been awful on all 3 occasions and one of those was against the might of Wrexham/Newport Couny...........I think Welsh Cup!!!!!!!!

Just emailed an ex colleague (Swansea season ticket holder), who referred to him as god awful, but with pace!!!!!!

His attitude is supposed to be less than positive and he "switches off" during games, sounds perfect!

Lets hope that Mr Johnson can get the best out of him and his attitude problem (if he has one) is a thing of the past.

The least we can do is give him a chance.

Archived