IGNORED

Izzy Iriekpen?

cityseb

We all said that about Marvin

Not really. Marvin was younger, had championship experience and was leaving his club due to wanting to move back up to the championship not because he couldn't get a game. I don't recall much negativity about his signing at all, most were very open minded for those reasons. Iriekpen might turn out great but looks far less likely to IMO due to his record. Not a big risk though so no bother.

Not really. Marvin was younger, had championship experience and was leaving his club due to wanting to move back up to the championship not because he couldn't get a game. I don't recall much negativity about his signing at all, most were very open minded for those reasons. Iriekpen might turn out great but looks far less likely to IMO due to his record. Not a big risk though so no bother.

Thoroughly underwhelmed to be honest!! Would have preferred a young player like a Cork or a Mancienne or a Johnny Evans(when Manure let him out on loan). Hungry for league experience rather than a journeyman.

He might be a reasonable defender, but will he do anything to take the Club forward? Our academy costs half a million a year to run, but as soon as we have any risk of a couple of injuries, we make a short-term signing. I don't know how bad Wilson's injury is, but we look unlikely to go up or down, but if fit, let's give him a go. The best way for a Club like ours to move forward is developing young players, (Academy, PL rejects or lower-league signings), together with a number of good signings in key positions. Assembling a large squad of journeymen will get us nowhere.

Johnson hasn't actually signed this bloke yet and with the suggestion about him being 'complex character' I doubt he will sign him. The last thing the squad needs is a disruptive influence as Johnson likes a happy bunch of lads playing for each other. Team spirit is essential.

I can't comment on Iriekpen's abilty as I've only seen him once but the Scunny boys didn't rate him - not that would know a good player when they saw one.

If he does sign then he would be one of very few players to play for BCFC starting with the letter "I". I can only think of Craig Ireland though sure there are one or two more - but not many.

And as his first name* also begins with I then it's extra special.

Also to be fair to the guy - he is only 26. He may well improve in the next few years. Not sure I would have considered a 26 year old Louis Carey as being capable of being one of the best players in a team to finish 4th in the Championship...but a few years later he was just that.

From WDP, so he will be playing in a rearranged reserve game later today.

"We've rearranged a reserve team game so we can assess his fitness and, if he comes through that okay, then we'll probably sort something out.

"He hasn't played for several weeks and I need to know whether he can join in with the first team in a few days or a few weeks. If it's a few days, I'm interested."

Johnson added: "We're short of central defensive cover and have been for most of the season. I'm looking to get someone for the short term and a deal until the end of the season is the most I can offer right now."

So as we thought, it's just like another loan, if he does Ok he may get offered contract in the Summer, but will he get a chance to impress on the field, not many I would think.

He might be a reasonable defender, but will he do anything to take the Club forward? Our academy costs half a million a year to run, but as soon as we have any risk of a couple of injuries, we make a short-term signing. I don't know how bad Wilson's injury is, but we look unlikely to go up or down, but if fit, let's give him a go. The best way for a Club like ours to move forward is developing young players, (Academy, PL rejects or lower-league signings), together with a number of good signings in key positions. Assembling a large squad of journeymen will get us nowhere.

It got us into the Championship. :noexpression:

As we lack pace i think he will be ok as a no-risk signing.

Meh.

Rather see an improvement on what we have. Isn't that one of GJ's things, signing players better than what we have. Or golf clubs. But not back up golf clubs.

To me it makes some sense. McCombe is the only genuine "1st ball defender" we have & he is prone to shin splints as well as equally likley as anyone else to get another unrelated injury. I was amazed Wolves didn't bring Iwelumo on as he would have been diffiuclt for Carey & Fonts to contain.

Irekipen isn't an exciting signing but at least he may offer an alternative when McCombe can't play & the opposition have a "monster" forward.

I am concerned about Fallon tonight - for some reason he always seems to do well against us & I'd feel a lot more confident if big Mc was marking him.

To me it makes some sense. McCombe is the only genuine "1st ball defender" we have & he is prone to shin splints as well as equally likley as anyone else to get another unrelated injury. I was amazed Wolves didn't bring Iwelumo on as he would have been diffiuclt for Carey & Fonts to contain.

Irekipen isn't an exciting signing but at least he may offer an alternative when McCombe can't play & the opposition have a "monster" forward.

I am concerned about Fallon tonight - for some reason he always seems to do well against us & I'd feel a lot more confident if big Mc was marking him.

It makes sense. Bur IMO it doesn't improve us. Which is what i was hoping for and believe we need in that area.

So let's get this straight?

We are set to sign somebody, released from League One S****horpe, and who wasn't even good enough to be a regular in their team who came straight back down in 2nd bottom. Would seem a strange signing and possibly a waste of resources.

But on the other hand, we turn down a Brazilian born Hungary international left back and a prospect for Ghana centre back. Surely Irekpen can't be better than either of them? :noexpression:

It makes sense. Bur IMO it doesn't improve us. Which is what i was hoping for and believe we need in that area.

No point in going out and spending money on a panic buy when this guy is free and adequate for cover as well as probably willing to take a short contract with the intention of working socks off to obtain a perm one

bring him in and do the magic on him GJ & Keep the money in the pocket until right one comes along I say

(you never know - he might become the right one - stranger things have happened)

No point in going out and spending money on a panic buy when this guy is free and adequate for cover as well as probably willing to take a short contract with the intention of working socks off to obtain a perm one

bring him in and do the magic on him GJ & Keep the money in the pocket until right one comes along I say

(you never know - he might become the right one - stranger things have happened)

Is he adequate?

And why haven't we with our great scouting network found one centre half who we like, can afford and is willing to come to us? This isn't just for this season either. We didn't want Vasko so effectively we've been searching for a centre back for a year and a half and we've found none who fit the criteria. Very very strange.

And we're only looking at this guy, we're not sure. He was released on the 16th. It took ten days to sort this out? Seems unplanned to me.

Is he adequate?

And why haven't we with our great scouting network found one centre half who we like, can afford and is willing to come to us? This isn't just for this season either. We didn't want Vasko so effectively we've been searching for a centre back for a year and a half and we've found none who fit the criteria. Very very strange.

And we're only looking at this guy, we're not sure. He was released on the 16th. It took ten days to sort this out? Seems unplanned to me.

Gary has made it clear he wants somebody short term, possibly because he sees James Wilson (currently injured) as the long term solution. I'll leave it to him to decide if he is adequate as cover but we don't seem to be looking for a permanent centre half to go straight into the team.

Gary has made it clear he wants somebody short term, possibly because he sees James Wilson (currently injured) as the long term solution. I'll leave it to him to decide if he is adequate as cover but we don't seem to be looking for a permanent centre half to go straight into the team.

But Gary hasn't made it clear whether he thinks we need to improve in that position. And obviously won't due to squad morale and general professionalism.

Which if a) he doesn't, i think that's a crap decision.

b) He does, why the hell haven't we been able to?

Either way it doesn't look good to me in this regard. I'm not bothered about Izzy because likely he'll just be another Webster and not play much.

But Gary hasn't made it clear whether he thinks we need to improve in that position. And obviously won't due to squad morale and general professionalism.

Which if a) he doesn't, i think that's a crap decision.

b) He does, why the hell haven't we been able to?

Either way it doesn't look good to me in this regard. I'm not bothered about Izzy because likely he'll just be another Webster and not play much.

I'm making the assumption that if we are not looking for a permanent centre half he is happy with Carey, Fontaine, McCombe and Wilson as his options, when all are fit. From what little we know he seems to want another left back, which seems to be higher priority given that we have only one natural left back. We shall see, though not necessarily in this window.

Is he adequate?

Good point that. We didn't want Vasko because he wasn't good enough, leave it vacant so we get this player? Is this player even as good as Vasko? I'm not sure he is...

Good point that. We didn't want Vasko because he wasn't good enough, leave it vacant so we get this player? Is this player even as good as Vasko? I'm not sure he is...

On the BBC 606 website a Hungarian City follower said that Vasko is currently on loan to a second division Italian club. he also alluded to the idea that he seemed to be using the loan system and football generally of a way of getting some world travel in for free while he was young. He said there were a few players in the old "eastern Bloc" who did the same thing. Play some football, see the world, make a couple of Euros, go somewhere else, make a few mates and so on. Seems a good idea if you can pull it off, but some people will see through you quicker than others, GJ seemed to make his mind up within a half a season.

On the BBC 606 website a Hungarian City follower said that Vasko is currently on loan to a second division Italian club. he also alluded to the idea that he seemed to be using the loan system and football generally of a way of getting some world travel in for free while he was young. He said there were a few players in the old "eastern Bloc" who did the same thing. Play some football, see the world, make a couple of Euros, go somewhere else, make a few mates and so on. Seems a good idea if you can pull it off, but some people will see through you quicker than others, GJ seemed to make his mind up within a half a season.

I take your point. I very recently looked up the details of a player, and he seemed to be doing a one man tour of Europe, only staying at the most 2 years in any one place!

I suppose it works both ways. Clubs can save some money by getting a cheaper 'product'.

Some players can even add 'International' to their cv. How much would an England player be, and the more pressing question, would we attract him anyway!

I take your point. I very recently looked up the details of a player, and he seemed to be doing a one man tour of Europe, only staying at the most 2 years in any one place!

I suppose it works both ways. Clubs can save some money by getting a cheaper 'product'.

Some players can even add 'International' to their cv. How much would an England player be, and the more pressing question, would we attract him anyway!

True enough M, although we were apparently within an ace of getting Mancienne in on loan and he is an U21 England player. I only posted this because I often wondered what GJ saw that made him send Vasko back. This seems to be as close to a good reason as I have come across.

True enough M, although we were apparently within an ace of getting Mancienne in on loan and he is an U21 England player. I only posted this because I often wondered what GJ saw that made him send Vasko back. This seems to be as close to a good reason as I have come across.

Strange how we *almost* sign these good young players isn't it? How come we've yet to *actually* sign a good young player?

I always find it odd that people talk about panic buying in this window.Gary and his management team have had over 3 months to look for players they might want.If they sign someone it should be someone they have done their homework on.The fact that yet again all we looking at is a host of trialists suggests to me that GJ has not done much homework or doesn't want too sign anyone.

Archived