IGNORED

Who Would You Play Up Front Against Plymouth

miketh2nd

Seeing as most of the rest of the team is pretty much certain to be the same yet up front is somewhere a bit unsettled. Maynard a first starter I'd say but who along side him could this be Styvar's impact game where he see him play for who he is?? or do we go from the second half of wolves where Dele was on fine form in awful conditions? Or John for the so called partnership with maynard? Personally would like to see Maynard and Adebola and think might work well we had that at the start of the season didn't work but now maynard is on fine form and think would work well.

Seeing as most of the rest of the team is pretty much certain to be the same yet up front is somewhere a bit unsettled. Maynard a first starter I'd say but who along side him could this be Styvar's impact game where he see him play for who he is?? or do we go from the second half of wolves where Dele was on fine form in awful conditions? Or John for the so called partnership with maynard? Personally would like to see Maynard and Adebola and think might work well we had that at the start of the season didn't work but now maynard is on fine form and think would work well.

Agree with you. Maynard is certain and Dele in topform. We might see Styvar at left hand side of midfield.

Agree with you. Maynard is certain and Dele in topform. We might see Styvar at left hand side of midfield.

could happen though would be unfair on skuse who has been playing superbly to be risked for styvar who may or may not be adjusted to our game a risk either way.

Maynard is an obvious starter, and I think Dele really earned his place with his performance against Wolves. Looking at the Plymouth back-Line, they look big and strong and a tough team to break down, so Maynard and Dele is what I would expect, with Skuse keeping his place in Midfield.

• Admin

I'd be looking to "job-share" the role of Maynard's strike partner between Adebola & Styvar. A lot has been made about Styvar not being used to the English game and the best way he'll learn is by actually playing it. With this in mind I'd start with Maynard & Styvar (in a 442) and look to bring on Adebola early in the second half when he will be fresh and the opposition defenders will have been running about for 45-60 minutes.

I would go for Styvar and Maynard...

Styvar looks good - the weather suited a big old lump like Dele last Saturday, but longer term, I think the Styvar/Maynard combo is the future!.

Spot on. Adebola will be on the bench and if Styvar is ineffective then he'll get maybe 20mins depending on the game situation. I have a feeling Styvar will score tomorrow - an easy tap-in from 3 yards will do.

Presuming we play 3 up top - well, Sproule in an advanced position with Skuse, Johnson and Elliot tucking in, which id expect us to do, id like to see Maynard and Sproule playing off John.

Styvar and Adebola on the bench to come on if required.

I can't see how anyone wouldn't want Dele starting tonight.

Why? Because he had a good 45 against Wolves in conditions that suited his style?

That was not enough of a convincer to warrent a starting place tonight imo. The problem when Adebola plays is that it encourages the long ball which we all know is a low percentage tactic.Not his fault of course, but using the pace of Sproule and Styvar is likely to be more of a threat to the Argyle defence.No defender likes playing against pace. Maynard is not lightening quick but quick enough to cause problems as well. Being the away side City will spend a significant part of tonights game defending and pace up front is essential for the counter attack.

It has to be Maynard, Styvar and Sproule.

Why? Because he had a good 45 against Wolves in conditions that suited his style?

That was not enough of a convincer to warrent a starting place tonight imo. The problem when Adebola plays is that it encourages the long ball which we all know is a low percentage tactic.Not his fault of course, but using the pace of Sproule and Styvar is likely to be more of a threat to the Argyle defence.No defender likes playing against pace. Maynard is not lightening quick but quick enough to cause problems as well. Being the away side City will spend a significant part of tonights game defending and pace up front is essential for the counter attack.

It has to be Maynard, Styvar and Sproule.

Because he did nothing wrong to get dropped out in the first place (apart from injury) and has done everything right whenever he's come on recently. He was dangerous against Portsmouth and ripped apart the defence of the best team in the league last time out. Styvar has done nothing so far (fair enough he's new) so it has to Adebola. If it isn't then something's seriously wrong.

Because he did nothing wrong to get dropped out in the first place (apart from injury) and has done everything right whenever he's come on recently. He was dangerous against Portsmouth and ripped apart the defence of the best team in the league last time out. Styvar has done nothing so far (fair enough he's new) so it has to Adebola. If it isn't then something's seriously wrong.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then!

It'll be interesting to see tonights line-up.

Why waste dele by starting him? He has had a rest, so he may perform - but chances are he wont.

Need to conserve his energy and use him so he can be effective - preferably against tiring defenders.

Steve also needs the games to adapt and get up to the speed of our game. Thats not going to happen if he is dropped after playing 3 "prem" games.

Start with Styvar, Maynard and Spoule in a 3 prong attacked

Then bring on Dele and Stern as inpact subs if needed!

I can see a goal each from Nicky and Styvar!

Remember so far Styvar has played against a prem team and the best team in the league!

I'm with Robbored/Riaz/Danzinio on this one. On previous evidence, Adebola tires after, say, an hour. He is much more effective coming off the bench, using his fresh legs, against a tiring defence. Remember the Wolves back 4 had been playing into a hefty breeze for 45 mins, which would also have tired them out faster, and then big strong Dele comes on and knocks them all round the park!

Why waste dele by starting him? He has had a rest, so he may perform - but chances are he wont.

Need to conserve his energy and use him so he can be effective - preferably against tiring defenders.

Steve also needs the games to adapt and get up to the speed of our game. Thats not going to happen if he is dropped after playing 3 "prem" games.

Why waste Dele by starting him? Why waste half the match by not starting him?! So many first halves have been poor this season because we've not started the best team. Can't we just for once forget about what we might need to do when we're 2-0 again (like we were against Plymouth at home) and actually start with the best players so we might actually be 2-0 at half time for once?

Fair point about Styvar but I don't think it's really us dropping him. Just a case of not playing him all of the time just because he's new!

Why waste Dele by starting him? Why waste half the match by not starting him?! So many first halves have been poor this season because we've not started the best team. Can't we just for once forget about what we might need to do when we're 2-0 again (like we were against Plymouth at home) and actually start with the best players so we might actually be 2-0 at half time for once?

Fair point about Styvar but I don't think it's really us dropping him. Just a case of not playing him all of the time just because he's new!

Dele has rarely been effective from the start. Against fresh defenders and has not got 90 minutes in him at this level.

We've seen the best of dele, when he has come on as sub (as I predicted :innocent06: )

We should use him when chasing a game or trying to win one.....

Not have him half effective for a whole game and take him off (cos he's tired) at a time when he is more useful!!

My vote is for Adebola and Maynard. Maynard is an obvious choice given his current form and goalscoring. Dele has come off the bench in the last three games and has been more of a threat/handful than either John or Styvar. Against Wolves I thought he was outstanding.

I hear the arguments of using him as an impact sub but do you think he'd be happy with that? I would hope he's desperate to start and if he doesn't start tonight he'll be asking himself what he has to do to get selected. Personally I think he has more to offer than just being a bit part player and hope he's not content with that either as we need players with a real appetite for the game, as well as ability, to progress as a club.

Dele has rarely been effective from the start. Against fresh defenders and has not got 90 minutes in him at this level.

We've seen the best of dele, when he has come on as sub (as I predicted :innocent06: )

We should use him when chasing a game or trying to win one.....

Not have him half effective for a whole game and take him off (cos he's tired) at a time when he is more useful!!

Although I don't agree with you I do respect your opinion. But can you just let me know what you feel Styvar offers that's better than Dele at this particular moment? Like I said before, I just really don't see the point of waiting until we're behind before we bring our best players on. It just doesn't make any sense to me!

Although I don't agree with you I do respect your opinion. But can you just let me know what you feel Styvar offers that's better than Dele at this particular moment? Like I said before, I just really don't see the point of waiting until we're behind before we bring our best players on. It just doesn't make any sense to me!

Well, he could'nt have 3 harder games to start could he. He obviously hasnt been great, a bit off the pace, but decent in the air and flashes of quality - But as I said before, taking him out now is not going to help him get up to speed.

The reason I think Styvar will be a good signing is because of what Johnson said when he signed him.....

He said he could not turn down such a good player, despite having a full quota of forwards. Of course, you have to trust GJ judgement - and certainly do. But even if Steve does not start I would still not start Dele, purely because I fell although he works hard he is ineffective, but awesome when coming on as a sub - he can put all his energy into a smaller amount of time.

I hear the arguments of using him as an impact sub but do you think he'd be happy with that? I would hope he's desperate to start and if he doesn't start tonight he'll be asking himself what he has to do to get selected. Personally I think he has more to offer than just being a bit part player and hope he's not content with that either as we need players with a real appetite for the game, as well as ability, to progress as a club.

Dele's coming to the end of his career and will have to accept it.

Maynard / Styvar to start, Dele to come on at around the hour mark .......

I'm not sure Dele has it in him to do a full 90 mins at maximum effort now ...... but a pumped up Dele coming on with 30/40 mins left is not what any tired defender is going to want to see.

:tumbleweed:

I'd be looking to "job-share" the role of Maynard's strike partner between Adebola & Styvar. A lot has been made about Styvar not being used to the English game and the best way he'll learn is by actually playing it. With this in mind I'd start with Maynard & Styvar (in a 442) and look to bring on Adebola early in the second half when he will be fresh and the opposition defenders will have been running about for 45-60 minutes.

Gets my vote Madger.

Archived