IGNORED

Roberto Merino

jambodinho

As explained above, it is ludicrous to suggest that a professional athlete capable of 90 minutes against other pros even at a reserve level, supported by coaches, physios and doctors, with all day every day to train, would take 3 months to get fit enough to take part in the Championship.

Trundle never had a fitness problem, where that has come from I've no idea.

The trouble with conspiracy theories is that they fall apart when you start to examine the alternatives.

Tell me Nibor, what other explanation do you propose for not signing this guy? Does it matter anyway? Why would GJ lie? If he has lied then what would his motive be? Why do you consider it ludicrous that it would take 3 months? Do you know the level of fitness the guy was at? Do you know how fit he would need to be? Do you know/have a plan that would allow him to bridge the gap?

The trouble with conspiracy theories is that they fall apart when you start to examine the alternatives.

Tell me Nibor, what other explanation do you propose for not signing this guy? Does it matter anyway? Why would GJ lie? If he has lied then what would his motive be? Why do you consider it ludicrous that it would take 3 months? Do you know the level of fitness the guy was at? Do you know how fit he would need to be? Do you know/have a plan that would allow him to bridge the gap?

Then why did he sighn Carle in almost exact circumstances, and give him 10 games to get up to fitness?

Agreed - just a bit surprised he even got a trial, but I guess he must have a brilliant agent!

Look, a lot of people on here want to sign him based just on his YooToob clips. The agent sends a video and asks for a trial - you watch the video (compiled from YooToob) and think - ah, what the hell - we need a midfielder and the lad might have something- what do we lose having him here for a game. We just pay for him to stay and RestAWhile B&B in North Street and jobs done.

Look, a lot of people on here want to sign him based just on his YooToob clips. The agent sends a video and asks for a trial - you watch the video (compiled from YooToob) and think - ah, what the hell - we need a midfielder and the lad might have something- what do we lose having him here for a game. We just pay for him to stay and RestAWhile B&B in North Street and jobs done.

What's your point ? - are City going to give a trial to every no mark who sends in a You tube clip and pay his X's?

Agree that its daft people want the man signed on that basis, but they are usually those who ALWAYS BELIEVE so think that by giving such a player a trial, he has undergone an exhaustive analysis by GJ's crack scouting network before entering the city boundary.

this is getting way out of hand, it appears that we give a lot of trials, it doesnt cost us much, and if they arent any good, then fine. If GJ says he doesnt fancy them for whatever reason then fine, we will keep looking for the next one. I think we are down to bare bones now with Marvin injured, but I aint screaming conspiracy theory, and who ever we get in isnt going to be as good as Marv anyway (based on people on here saying he is worth 5 million, which we wont be spending) so we will have to make do. this time last year I was going potty about not signing a forward, but this year I think we will survive but not make the play offs so there isnt as much pressure.

Tell me Nibor, what other explanation do you propose for not signing this guy?

Stubbornness? Fear brought on by Nick Carle not being what he wanted? I don't know. I don't really care about him not signing this particular player, I care that he seems to be very reluctant to strengthen what I and many other fans consider to be a weak area of the team. Don't you find the reasoning given for not bringing in a midfielder a little strange at least?

Does it matter anyway? Why would GJ lie? If he has lied then what would his motive be? Why do you consider it ludicrous that it would take 3 months? Do you know the level of fitness the guy was at? Do you know how fit he would need to be? Do you know/have a plan that would allow him to bridge the gap?

I know that _I_ can train up to a level where I can run as far in 90 minutes as a pro does in significantly less than 3 months without any help from a physio or coach and I'm a long, long way from a professional athlete. The lad just did 90 minutes against professionals, how can he possibly need 3 months to get fit enough to play a part in the Championship? I'm not suggesting he'd be fit enough to play flat out next week and make last ditch sprints in the 89th minute but the suggestion he's that far out doesn't ring true for me.

He has been here a couple of weeks and has signed, hence why he has been named. Will be annouced tomorrow.

No doubt there are others like me who read this post, believed it, and then were unable to get back on the computer for a few hours.

I assume you're not a gashead so have little reason to pee off your fellow City fans by making things up.

Don't bother next time, it's not funny.

Stubbornness? Fear brought on by Nick Carle not being what he wanted? I don't know. I don't really care about him not signing this particular player, I care that he seems to be very reluctant to strengthen what I and many other fans consider to be a weak area of the team. Don't you find the reasoning given for not bringing in a midfielder a little strange at least?

I know that _I_ can train up to a level where I can run as far in 90 minutes as a pro does in significantly less than 3 months without any help from a physio or coach and I'm a long, long way from a professional athlete. The lad just did 90 minutes against professionals, how can he possibly need 3 months to get fit enough to play a part in the Championship? I'm not suggesting he'd be fit enough to play flat out next week and make last ditch sprints in the 89th minute but the suggestion he's that far out doesn't ring true for me.

The fact that you find it hard to believe does not, in itself, make it not true. What are the reasons for lying and what alternative explanations are there? You still can't give a credible response to those questions and, until you can, I can't see anything wrong with what GJ has said or done.

The fact that you find it hard to believe does not, in itself, make it not true. What are the reasons for lying and what alternative explanations are there?

You still can't give a credible response to those questions and, until you can, I can't see anything wrong with what GJ has said or done.

So to be discussed everything has to be proved now does it? You seem to have missed the point of a forum where people discuss opinions. It seems ludicrous to me for the reasons I've outlined several times. Do you have an opinion on that or are you just interested in generally disagreeing?

I don't know why GJ has said the things he has said, I'm not really that interested in why, the end result is one which concerns me. We are going to end up not strengthening the area of the team I and many fans consider to be the weakest. I think that's a problem and I think it's worthy of discussion. If you'd like to take part feel free!

So to be discussed everything has to be proved now does it? You seem to have missed the point of a forum where people discuss opinions. It seems ludicrous to me for the reasons I've outlined several times. Do you have an opinion on that or are you just interested in generally disagreeing?

I don't know why GJ has said the things he has said, I'm not really that interested in why, the end result is one which concerns me. We are going to end up not strengthening the area of the team I and many fans consider to be the weakest. I think that's a problem and I think it's worthy of discussion. If you'd like to take part feel free!

So let's assume Gary is happy with the midfield players he has and you, and others, are not. That would be a difference of opinion, fair enough. What puzzles me is why we have to go from that to suggesting Gary has ulterior motives for having the opinion he has. It doesn't seem to follow, any more than suggesting any given poster has suspicious motives for having the view he or she has.

The end result is that in a little over 3 years Johnson has:

- Saved us from relegation

- Won the promotion that eluded 6 other managers in the previous 8 years

- Taken us to within 1 game of the Premier League

- Built a solid Championship side

I think that's enough to earn him a little credit and for us to maybe accept that either a signing is in the pipeline or the right player isn't available. It's both arrogant and insulting to take the view that Johnson and his staff can't (or even worse, won't) strengthen the team in the right areas.

I have no problem with discussion and for what it's worth I agree with you that we need to strengthen central midfield if we're to win promotion. However I am happy for the moment to accept that Johnson knows what he's doing and is trying his hardest to do what's right.

So let's assume Gary is happy with the midfield players he has and you, and others, are not. That would be a difference of opinion, fair enough. What puzzles me is why we have to go from that to suggesting Gary has ulterior motives for having the opinion he has. It doesn't seem to follow, any more than suggesting any given poster has suspicious motives for having the view he or she has.

I would hope there are no ulterior motives but to me it seems so completely at odds with what I see on the pitch I find it hard to believe it's as simple as that. And it doesn't explain the inconsistency in what he has said.

The end result is that in a little over 3 years Johnson has:

- Saved us from relegation

- Won the promotion that eluded 6 other managers in the previous 8 years

- Taken us to within 1 game of the Premier League

- Built a solid Championship side

I think that's enough to earn him a little credit and for us to maybe accept that either a signing is in the pipeline or the right player isn't available. It's both arrogant and insulting to take the view that Johnson and his staff can't (or even worse, won't) strengthen the team in the right areas.

I have no problem with discussion and for what it's worth I agree with you that we need to strengthen central midfield if we're to win promotion. However I am happy for the moment to accept that Johnson knows what he's doing and is trying his hardest to do what's right.

I think I should add a signature that says something like "Yes GJ has done a great job overall and just because I disagree with a particular decision doesn't mean I don't think so".

I think the problem with the accepting too much on faith is that you only question things when they've gone far far wrong. I think it's worth looking at each decision on it's merits and being able to separate that from an overall view. In this case I think he's totally wrong. That doesn't mean I'm readying a Johnson Out placard, far from it.

I'm not asking you to prove anything - you have said your opinion - all I ask is for you to justify that opinion - you never know, that justification may just make me change your mind. Or do you believe that discussion can take place around wild and unjustified claims. To help you answer - here's an example. I just don't believe you are a Bristol City supporter. I just find it incredulous that you could be.

Tell me how that's different to the incredulity with which you view GJ's comments?

I would hope there are no ulterior motives but to me it seems so completely at odds with what I see on the pitch I find it hard to believe it's as simple as that. And it doesn't explain the inconsistency in what he has said.

I think I should add a signature that says something like "Yes GJ has done a great job overall and just because I disagree with a particular decision doesn't mean I don't think so".

I think the problem with the accepting too much on faith is that you only question things when they've gone far far wrong. I think it's worth looking at each decision on it's merits and being able to separate that from an overall view. In this case I think he's totally wrong. That doesn't mean I'm readying a Johnson Out placard, far from it.

I do largely agree with that but I also think that it's going too far to criticise him for not signing a midfield player right now. Aside from the fact that the transfer window isn't closed yet it's also fair to say that there might be a better one around in the Summer and that it makes sense to wait. If nobody is signed by next August I will almost certainly join you in your concerns. Right now it's too early to jump to any conclusions.

The one thing that particularly baffles me about this whole situation is the veiled comments by 'yessir' and 'edson.'

Both in their way had insinuated that something was happening in regard to a midfielder. For them to do so would require a 'source', which in turn begs the question, did said 'source' massively over-exaggerate the potential of Merino and as such the possibility of him signing?

Because if they (the source) did not I cannot for the life of me understand what would lead two 'trusted' members of this forum to give a pretty sturdy prod in the direction of 'yes, we'll be signing a new midfielder.'

If Merino is 3 months away from being match fit, and I'm certainly not one for conspiracy theories, then surely the club were aware of this likelihood and as such why would a 'source' release information above the normal 'we're giving a trial to someone' which would lead said forum members to insinuate what they did.

Unless of course there is another midfielder, however I did ask this question and was, very fairly and quite understandably, ignored.

But he may not share your opinion, or mine for that matter, and that may be all there is to it. The fact that you find it hard to believe it's as simple as that implies that you do indeed have suspicions. That's what puzzles me in the midst of your invariably well expressed opinions.

I'm not asking you to prove anything - you have said your opinion - all I ask is for you to justify that opinion - you never know, that justification may just make me change your mind. Or do you believe that discussion can take place around wild and unjustified claims. To help you answer - here's an example. I just don't believe you are a Bristol City supporter. I just find it incredulous that you could be.

Tell me how that's different to the incredulity with which you view GJ's comments?

It's different because I've explained quite clearly the reasons for my view several times and asked several questions that nobody who disagrees with me has yet offered what looks like a decent explanation for. You on the other hand are just basically sniping without actually giving a view or the reasons for it. It's not really that interesting.

If nobody is signed by next August I will almost certainly join you in your concerns. Right now it's too early to jump to any conclusions.

Next August? :o

You think it is reasonable to wait over a year for Carle's replacement?

You must be one of the most patient football fans around.

But he may not share your opinion, or mine for that matter, and that may be all there is to it. The fact that you find it hard to believe it's as simple as that implies that you do indeed have suspicions. That's what puzzles me in the midst of your invariably well expressed opinions.

Perfectly happy to accept differences of opinion, of course the manager will not have the same view as everyone else. It's just that in this case his view appears, from his comments publicly and actions, to be so very far from what I see that I find it hard to credit. And I do think he's contradicted himself as I've mentioned so that in combination alarms me.

You think it is reasonable to wait over a year for Carle's replacement?

It should be noted that GJ is not obliged to sign a replacement. He may have said he wanted a replacement - he may have had a replacement in mind and has'nt managed to sign that player - but he isnt obliged to sign a replacement, so I'd stop waiting if I was you!!

Can't believe that you've managed to turn another thread into, yet another, dig at Lee Trundle!

its not a dig - is what i see and what Lee Trundle admitted!

It should be noted that GJ is not obliged to sign a replacement. He may have said he wanted a replacement - he may have had a replacement in mind and has'nt managed to sign that player - but he isnt obliged to sign a replacement, so I'd stop waiting if I was you!!

Oh. :wacko::sad26: :sad26: :o

Archived