IGNORED

Lee Trundle Or Stern John

Whites

I would rather have Trundle in the squad as well. Neat player who entertains and has the ability to change a game at a second. Yes he needs the ball and space, but I hate the way people criticise Trundle, saying he's had his chance and all that. People comment that the improvement came when John arrived, it didn't. The improvement came with a fit Elliot and a team playing with width opening up gaps for the midfielders and the attackers, something which would have brought the best out of Trundle.

Stern John does have a useful first touch and ability to play consistently at this level. But for a manager that likes work rate, I am amazed Johnson rates John. He may be Mr Morale off the pitch, but for me apart from the odd good pass and ability of vision, he offers little. A poor finish from what I've seen. No urgency in his attacking, no cleverness on the ball, and basically a very lethargic attitude.

Trundle gets my vote 11 times out of 10.

Can anyone tell me what scouting is about?

Scouts do actually have a tough job.

There are so many guidelines to stick to. The general scout will research players maybe known to be unhappy at a club, or research lower divisions for quality players who they maybe able to bribe away from a club. Some clubs employ international scouts to watch certain foreign leagues.

A scout will have on record details of the contracts of every player in the football league, I'm not talking wages, but durations. It's their job to shortlist players and maybe notify managers if a players contract is coming to the end and maybe worth a look at.

Most Scouts also befriend journalists, whilst an agent will put a players name in the window if he wants a move, a scout may approach a journo suggesting a club is interested in a certain player if they think the mention in the media will hold the player back in signing a new contract, giving a club an opportunity to come in with an offer whilst the other club starts to worry that the player may go on a free at the end of the season.

A scout has a opportunity to view any match they desire, however if attending you have to report to the said club and inform them of any players you may wish to view. If a big manager or scout is attending a live game on TV this is usually how the camera's pick them up, as someone at the club has notified the TV camera's. If it's an unsettled player it will be the club wanting to buy, however if its a player that could lead to a big money transfer its normally the selling club.

Many Scouts like to get in touch with agents behind the players and clubs backs, researching a bit more about an interested player, these findings are passed on discreetly to the manager, it gives him some way of being inside the players mind when trying to sell the club to them, it's a naughty trick but it works.

A scout will often research a lot of players and could present a manager / chairman with plenty of findings, so its then down to the management to decide if they are going to follow up any of the scouts recommendations. You may not hear a lot of the scouts ideas on players, because the management for one reason or another didn't like the player, but that doesn't mean the scout wasn't putting the players name forward.

I know when I played I had 3 or 4 scouts looking at me from league 1 and 2, yet only one offer came of it, which was accepted. The fact is, fans of the other three clubs, had I done well may have been saying on forums, god our scouting network is rubbish, how did we miss him, how did they sign him over us. Normally that is more down to the management, as it could be the case and it often is, a scout likes a player and gives his opinion to the manager, but the fact is a manager and his chairman make the decisions on the players they want to bring in, so a scout could think he's seen the next Ronaldo, but if the manager doesn't want to pursue it then there isn't a lot the scout can do about it.

Trundle is a good player who is more than capable of performing at League 1 - he's proved that.

Trundle clearly is to {some} Leeds fans what John is to {some} City fans - lazy, here for the wages etc;

I hope the irony isnt lost.

Trundle is a good player who is more than capable of performing at League 1 - he's proved that.

Trundle clearly is to {some} Leeds fans what John is to {some} City fans - lazy, here for the wages etc;

I hope the irony isnt lost.

IMO I do not think that LT is in GJ plans and ST is just a (poor) squad stopgap.

Get rid of both, hopefully get some money for LT and move on better strikers.

No criticism of GJ for going for LT but time to move on

Seems to me the leeds fans are saying exactly what some of us non LT lovers here were saying about him. He appears to have the ability and is on the verge of being a threat or doing something, but actually rarely does....and thats in league one. There is an overwhelming dissapointment with his attitude by the looks of it which is a shame, however many have wrongly (IMO) had similar things to say about SJ so i will take it with a pinch of salt. They certainly are far from won over by LT though, so its not surprising that he is not near getting in our squad.

Seems to me the Leeds fans are as fickle as City fans.

Two games ago, they wanted a deal done to sign him permanently and thought he was the second coming.

Same as many fans here, they illogically expect him to do the business every game or he is not good enough for this level, even though that thought process doesn't apply to any other player.

One last point, Stern John IS proven at this level, but, history counts for jack all when you get to the point when you don't score. I have witnessed 3 one on ones in the last few weeks, none of which converted. Trundle missed one and was instantly out of the team. Weird.

Archived