IGNORED

Late Substitutions

Andrew_V1

I have only one lignering question after that game that is burning away....

What on earth was the point in bringing on marv and Trunds for 1 minute! if we were at 1-0 then I can see the point but not when we're chasing the win after another stupid unprofessional error costing us a goal

I am not impressed one bit with that, completely pointless

On the flip side, I thought it was a good performance, but Adebola bar the assist was terrible, should have buried a header from 1 yard! :disapointed2se:

Lets start experimenting and preparing for next season :fingerscrossed:

I have only one lignering question after that game that is burning away....

What on earth was the point in bringing on marv and Trunds for 1 minute! if we were at 1-0 then I can see the point but not when we're chasing the win after another stupid unprofessional error costing us a goal

I am not impressed one bit with that, completely pointless

On the flip side, I thought it was a good performance, but Adebola bar the assist was terrible, should have buried a header from 1 yard! :disapointed2se:

Lets start experimenting and preparing for next season :fingerscrossed:

Probably something Prozone came up with : )

I must have watched a different game, Adebola didn't give their defenders a break all game, and St Ledger and Mawene are top class CCC defenders. He held the ball up well, some great interplay with Maynard and a deserved Man of the Match.

Agree with the point about the late substitutions, also can't see the point of taking off Sproule and Maynard, two fast players, with the game as stretched as it was in the final minutes.

I must have watched a different game, Adebola didn't give their defenders a break all game, and St Ledger and Mawene are top class CCC defenders. He held the ball up well, some great interplay with Maynard and a deserved Man of the Match.

Agree with the point about the late substitutions, also can't see the point of taking off Sproule and Maynard, two fast players, with the game as stretched as it was in the final minutes.

The beauty of football my friend, game of opinions and views

Maybe I was slightly harsh, but compared to the adebola of a month ago or so, that was a poor showing for him IMHO

Agreed, i thought Adebola was a handfull up untill his assist, i thought he needed bringing off after that, he looked dead on his feet! Subs came an age too late, god only knows what GJ (god!) was thinking. Good game, but another 2 points thrown away, will take a mirracle now. :fingerscrossed:

Conspiracy theory time. Perhaps GJ realises our season is over. Perhaps LT will be departing soon, so this was a way for him to take our applause for onre final time?

At the start of this thread "individual errors" was mentioned. Now every team will have it's sob stories, but in August the entire team switched off and threw away a win v Derby. A month later a missed pen let Forest off with a draw. Last month a handling error gifted Cardiff an equaliser and today an error anyone could make has again led to an equaliser. Those four games have cost / lost City 8 points which would have had us on 67.

Being the eternal optimist, the players now realise what's going to be needed next season.

Conspiracy theory time. Perhaps GJ realises our season is over. Perhaps LT will be departing soon, so this was a way for him to take our applause for onre final time?

WHAT!

GJ won't 'realise' our seasons over till it's not possible, and why on earth would GJ bring him on with a fans fav to hog the appluase? Just an unbelievable and laughable concept. It might be Trunds last season, but would this have been a good send off???? NO!!!!

Thought Sproule was lucky to stay on that long, at his most frustrating today.

Agreed. We know he has pace and can beat people, but his final ball is consistently poor.

Maybe because he was too busy helping out the defence, especially Bradley, all game!

If we are looking at a player who totally failed to turn up, point the finger at Mcindoe who I thought had his worst game in a City shirt to date, and I'm a great fan of his. Itchy feet maybe?

Yet still not as bad as Bradley Orr's. In fact that must have been one of the worst showings I've seen from Orr all season.

Totaly agree, Orr was terrible and yet again his distribution is school boy like at times. I like Orr and still think he is one of the best (if not the best) full back in this league. But his final ball is woeful, he never seems to look up and play it on the floor.

Somebody tell me why Gavin Williams was brought on with only 5 minutes to go????????????

He can change a game! He brings cleverness, awareness, technical ability and a killer pass and that is what we missed all game, and really all season.

Sorrt GJ but substitutions should have been 15 minutes earlier today.

Always Believe :city:

Totaly agree, Orr was terrible and yet again his distribution is school boy like at times. I like Orr and still think he is one of the best (if not the best) full back in this league. But his final ball is woeful, he never seems to look up and play it on the floor.

i thought on the whole we defended poorly today, never seen us look so nervous at times. Also for the goal why have someone on the back post for the corner but nobody on the front??? Anyone know??

Yeah, Orr was very poor today - IMHO hewas to blame for their goal as he 'switched off' and turned away from the time the ball went out for thier cirner untill it was on its' way in to the box. A school boy error.

Combined with a genral lack of creativity, a bad day at the office.

Agreed. We know he has pace and can beat people, but his final ball is consistently poor.

Ivan gets himself into dangerous positions with his pace but his decision making and delivery is as wayward as ever.

So much so that there is little point in him getting into these positions in the first place.

The frustration of this regular and predictable anti climax now outweighs the (ever lessening) excitement of the possibility that meaningful action will result from the spring heeled bursts that achieved these potentially advantageous positions.

Or, in a nutshell: crossing and shooting substandard.

Like the ball he floated perfectly onto Adebola's head a yard from goal? Or the clever pull-back for Maynard who should've scored?

Sproule should be walking away from that game with 2 assists and fans off his back about no end product.

Like the ball he floated perfectly onto Adebola's head a yard from goal? Or the clever pull-back for Maynard who should've scored?

Sproule should be walking away from that game with 2 assists and fans off his back about no end product.

Have to agree here, i thought Ivan actually put a few good crosses in today and we never capitalised on it, imo we only deserved a point at best today, as soon as we went 1-0 up we looked nervous and started to sit deep and inevitably it ended up costing us.

He did exactly the right thing to square the ball for Nicky to shoot.

I thought the cross for Dele was too hard and too high though. It should have been a simple tap in. Like too many of our crosses they were too high or generally mis-directed.

Maybe GJ is turning him into a full back! He defended very well at times using his pace. Can't fault his work rate.

Hear hear, agree 100%, instead of having a pop at sprouley who set up 2 diamond opportunities, you should be having a pop at a 6'3 "target man" who couldn't nod in from 1 yard!!!

Maynard however was unlucky as it was a tricky chance, but a good chance none the less

I think today Ivan was back to what we have been generally used to. He had a decent spell a few weeks back and was looking consistently dangerous, but now he's back to performing part of the game. I think we've got to be using him as an impact player for the last twenty minutes or so, but not the full game.

As for the title of this thread, you can usually guess roughly who GJ is going to bring on and when, but I couldn't believe the subs today. The second half in particular was crying out for more bite in midfield and some creativity going forward. We left it very late for GW and as for bringing on LT and ME in added on time ........ unbelievable!

As we all know, a draw was absolutely no use to us today and I really think we needed to shake things up with Marve in the middle and see if Trunds could have worked a bit of magic. All I can think is GJ accepts the current squad is not up to the battle for the play-offs and has accepted that, which could be why we didn't go for the throat right from the KO, or bring people on early enough to have a chance to effect the game.

To be honest, I thought it looked like two fairly ordinary teams out there today and I don't think there will be any Premier League teams quaking in their boots if they watched on the box. Things could be a bit different when Captain Marvel comes back in, as we really missed him today, but we are still missing that bit of quality that the top sides always have.

Still, I'm more than happy to see we can look forward to CCC football again next year and have my season ticket in the bag. IMHO though, today was final proof that we don't have what it takes to hit the PO's this year.

Subs should have came on sooner I thought after about 70-75mins Adebola was blowing a bit, I thought the two late subs were just to get an extra minute on the clock at the end.

...or has GJ gone mad? - did he believe so much today that he actually thought it was a Cup Final & the subs would be warming up for a minute before competing 30mins extra time?? :noexpression:

(still I wouldnt mind a penny for SL's thoughts about the late subs - how much cash did that minute or so cost him/the club/us in appearance fees?.. :disapointed2se: )

Think there should be a 'no tactical substitution rule' after say 80mins except for injuries.. it always appears to me to be for legalised timewasting reasons or suchlike, little more than frustrating gamesmanship. Its so rare that a late sub can really make a difference except for the very occasional injury time fluke goal which results in the managers being held up as some kind of tactical genius (as if they knew it was going to happen -yeah right.)

A minute added or a minute lost either way its wasted time.

If your going to make a substitution make it a telling one, one that shakes things up a bit & give the sub a decent amount of minutes to achieve something.

Unforced late late substitutions just add to club costs, frustrated fans, & are usually to no avail anyway -except for timewasting, imo.

Hear hear, agree 100%, instead of having a pop at sprouley who set up 2 diamond opportunities, you should be having a pop at a 6'3 "target man" who couldn't nod in from 1 yard!!!

Maynard however was unlucky as it was a tricky chance, but a good chance none the less

the ball was played in at a great height and the pace would of been hard to control and direct into the net i feel

Maynard should of scored from there, any good connection and its a goal, but his connection was poor and thats what dragged it wide with no pace.

I did come away feeling annoyed at the substitutions i must admit. The first thing i thought when i heard the bench was what a strong bench it was. As soon as we went 1 up we started to drop deep and you could almost see the equaliser coming. I can understand at that point though why he didnt change it. Once they got there goal though for me that was the time to make changes. Especially considering the quality on the bench.

Instead we waited until 81mins (i think) to bring on Williams by which time the whole atmosphere in the ground had changed. Even then though a 3 man change would have given us half a chance of getting a winner. Marv was stood up and ready to come on then but GJ and KM seemed to spend the rest of the 90 mins in disscussion about who they were going to bring off. To bring them on in injury time for me was a joke!

I am always reluctant to critisise GJ but today i felt he got that wrong. Still what do i know! :icecream:

Archived