IGNORED

'this Bunch Of Lads'

Robbored

i think you seriously over play make or break. Can we just get real, we have spent the best part of 20 years in Division 3, yes 20, no actually 30 bar a little interlude. Mid table for us is a blinder, really. How many teams in our league have been in the Prem? Not counted them, but over 3/4 I would guess. We still rely on one man bailing us out. I cannot comprehend anyuone seriously thinking our manager has taken us as far as he can, it is the most ludicrous, ill infomed and non sensical concept. No what we need is some change to the players yes, but January is not the time, any manager will tell you that, the time is the summer, and being in a play off final is a disaster for the teams, both are late to make their deals, well this year we are not, and this year I beleive you will see decisive action. Finally he has biotten the bullet on 'fans' players like Trundle and Noble, the manager finally admitting that the physical side of the game is actually a standard, not optional. Being a party trick pony is not good enough, as a minimum in this game, you need the physical game (go and watch a Prem side live if you doubt it, and this season many Championship sides upped their work rate). What is needed at out club is a dose of reality, we have an awesome manager (not without his faults mind) and that is a huge building block. He needs plenty of time, years maybe, but when fans think this season is a disaster, have a look at the sides in the bottom 6. Look at who the hell they are, look at who has managed those sides and the money spent at all of them. Then take a breath, thank your lucky stars we now have direction, we are building a new ground, have proper training facilities, and have a club going in one direction only. It will take time, we have to change a 30 year history of a crock of poo football, and you cannot do that in 2 seasons, it is an evolution, we do not have money mountains, we do not have a right to expect promotion just because it is there. where we are really lacking is depth, our reserves are poor, we do not have enough cover, or enough competition for places, that is where we need to work, have genuine 2 players for every position, and from what I hear, that is what we will get. That is good enough for me, and , a very huge number of fans.

totally agree,about time somebody talked some sense,

i for one am happy with our season and our view for the future

perhaps with a few adjustments,

maybe next season,or after that.

until then championship football will do me fine,thank you.

Well, here we are 42 games into the season and City are pretty much assured a place in mid-table. Yet an another draw at AG (thats 12 over the seson) and yet another late goal conceded. Thats Brum, Derby, Cardiff, Forest and Ipswich who have all found the City net within the last 7 mins of the game.

Time to look at the season overall and upto xmas City were poor and slipped down to 18th place at one point. Then after xmas a great run of form put City back at the right end of the table but that good form couldn't be maintained and now its just one win in eleven games. This recent loss of form has co-incided with the run in and the fact that the team started to struggle when it really mattered indicates to me that they simply aren't good enough. That view is supported by the league table.

Johnson has repeatedly referred to 'this bunch of lads' and the loyalty that he has shown them. Whilst loyalty is an admirable quality in anyone its not something that should be considered as important in the cut-throat enviroment of the Championship.The bottom line is results and apart from one decent spell in the season City have struggled to really threaten the play-offs and have got nowhere near the automatic places.

Several conversations I've had with other City fans over the last few weeks have led me to realise that some fans are are begining to question Johnsons judgement and ask if he has achieved all he can achieve at City. One argued it was his lack of transfer activity during the Jan window that has cost City since. I'm not sure about that but just to hear voices of discontent is indicative of the unrest that some fans are feeling. I'm not talking about new fans or youngster fans but middle aged experienced City fans who opinions are worth listening to and respecting.They have been following City for decades.

I'm sure that that some Johnson lovers will reply to this and say 'look what he's done at City' and 'remember where we were when Johnson took over' and they are valid comments but they are history. Some one famous once said that 'you are only as good as your last game' and thats so true now.

Its make or break time over the summer. I reckon that more fans will lose faith in Johnson if we don't see some significant changes in the playing personel over the summer. Just ask yourself which players you would be disapointed to see leave City over the summer and you'll probably need less than the fingers on one hand to count them.That says it all in a nutshell.

That appears to only get rolled out when we don't win.

Recent history is entirely relevant. I was interested to hear an interview with Roy Hodgson recently, in which he pointed out that he had come in and saved Fulham from almost certain relegation last season, before building them into a top 10 side this season. But he had little doubt that the success would come back to haunt him if Fulham get off to a bad start next season, as football fans have memories equivalent to those of goldfish, sadly.

This bunch of lads has definitely taken us as far as it can - the manager needs to recognise that.

We should spend the last few games playing primarily the players GJ is unsure about for next season, that means the youngsters and fringe players. Recall Akinde and Artus and play them. Put Wilson and Ribeiro in when they're fit. Keep Iriekpen in the side. Play Trundle. Start Styvar and see if there really is a footballer in there.

Then at the end of the season cut the players who don't make the grade and bring in 5 or 6 first team players over the summer - we'll have that many leaving I'm sure so we just have to make sure that we add to the top of the squad in the right positions. Also, we need to pick a system and bring in players to fit it and impose it on the opposition. Not pick the players and then try and find a system to accommodate them.

GJ has done a great job for the club but I think he's going to have to adapt a bit more to take us further - the game isn't the same all the way up the pyramid. I think we've now proved that hard work and great team mentality get you this far, the fringes of promotion, but no further. We need to add some real quality to get beyond that.

Agree; these players for the future should be playing for us now while we have a couple of free games; send the old boys on holidays

Should City struggle or get relegated next season, will you point to last season and say ' ah well, Johnson did get us to the play-off final two seasons ago?

A lot of good that will do.

A lot of good it will do to speculate on what I might say in a situation that hasn't happened? I see...

In any case, I doubt he'd survive that long with friends like yours who apparently deserve respect for questioning if Johnson should leave now, while we're in 9th position.

I seem to remember Norwich fans saying a similar thing about Nigel Worthington when Norwich finished 9th and hounding him out after a few games of the following season. That change has certainly helped them no end, and was a decision doubtless supported by similar 'respected' fans to the ones you refer.

You really think Vokes and Keogh are any better than John? Have a look at his record in the Championship.

Edit: Also Akinde and Vokes have come from a similar level with similar goalscoring records.

Absolute b*llocks.Vokes came from Bournemouth as an established League 1 player, Akinde from Ebbsfleet a Conference side.

I don't think Vokes and Keogh are better than John, I know they are!!!! Forget history look at this season

Absolute b*llocks.Vokes came from Bournemouth as an established League 1 player, Akinde from Ebbsfleet a Conference side.

I don't think Vokes and Keogh are better than John, I know they are!!!! Forget history look at this season

Akinde doesn't seem to be doing too bad at the top of league 2 though does he. I reckon if he'd played as many games as Vokes he'd have a similar amount of goals.

With John, I only have to look back to last season where he scored 20 goals in a struggling side. So if you're going to convince me that we aren't challenging Wolves because of a lack of depth up front then I'm afraid I think its you chatting b*llocks. The real problem is a total lack of supply from midfield.

Now if you want to compare Kightly and Jarvis v McIndoe and Sproule then you might be on to something.

It made me laugh when at the final whistle, walking down the steps of the Atyeo, 2 "fans" were saying, "maybe Johnson going to Portsmouth end of season wouldn't be such a bad thing after all".

What short-sighted fans, and who said GJ was going there anyway?!

CTID :city:

WELL WE LOVE YOU JOHNSON

FAIT IN THE MAN HE IS GOD

We will find it much tougher next season for sure and GJ will need everything hes got and some more :noexpression:

In any case, I doubt he'd survive that long with friends like yours who apparently deserve respect for questioning if Johnson should leave now, while we're in 9th position.

Where did I say that they were questioning whether Johnson should leave now? Read the thread again if you didn't get it first time.

When we had our best run of the season, we were playing 433 (or a version of that), we changed back to a 442/451 when we picked up injuries.......that was the mistake that cost us a play off place IMO, we should have stuck with a winning formation, just replace a player with another.

IMO, we aren't far off having a squad capable of a consistant top 6 finish, 3 or 4 players in important positions (CB/AM,LB), the trouble is our tactics have to change if we are to consistantly challenge for promotion.

Next season I would go 433 (which can turn into a 451 if needed away from home BUT not at home)

Basso/Weale

Orr---New CB---Fontaine---McAllister/New LB

Elliott (if still here)---Williams---Skuse/Johnson

McIndoe---Adebola---Maynard

Subs:

Weale/Basso/Henderson

Carey/McCombe/James Wilson

Sproule/Johnson

Styvar

Akinde

McCombe- not mobile enough

Carey- positionally poor and has por concentration levels

Trundle- League 1 player

Noble- not fit enough for CCC

BCAGFC

Carey's getting old but that is wrong. Noble isn't unfit for CCC at all.

I do agree though we should have kept the 4-3-3

..Basso

Orr..Carey...Fonts...McAllister

....Marv....Williams... Skuse

..Sproule..............Maynard

......John.....

That's the team that got us from 18th to 4th so why stop it?

Akinde doesn't seem to be doing too bad at the top of league 2 though does he. I reckon if he'd played as many games as Vokes he'd have a similar amount of goals.

With John, I only have to look back to last season where he scored 20 goals in a struggling side. So if you're going to convince me that we aren't challenging Wolves because of a lack of depth up front then I'm afraid I think its you chatting b*llocks. The real problem is a total lack of supply from midfield.

Now if you want to compare Kightly and Jarvis v McIndoe and Sproule then you might be on to something.

I wouldn't disagree about Kightlly and Jarvis vs Sproule and McIndoe, but you made the comparison about strikers and I believe that 99.9% would take SEB/Iwelumo/Keogh and Vokes ahead of Maynard/Adebola/John and Akinde based on this season. Ironically I would take Elliott and Williams over Henry and Jones as a central midfield pairing (provided that they stayed fit!!) and Carey and Fonts over Craddock and Berra in the centre of defence.

Where did I say that they were questioning whether Johnson should leave now? Read the thread again if you didn't get it first time.

I got it fine, thanks.

You said:

Several conversations I've had with other City fans over the last few weeks have led me to realise that some fans are are begining to question Johnsons judgement and ask if he has achieved all he can achieve at City.

If he's achieved all he can achieve at City, why would they want him to stay?

I wouldn't disagree about Kightlly and Jarvis vs Sproule and McIndoe, but you made the comparison about strikers and I believe that 99.9% would take SEB/Iwelumo/Keogh and Vokes ahead of Maynard/Adebola/John and Akinde based on this season. Ironically I would take Elliott and Williams over Henry and Jones as a central midfield pairing (provided that they stayed fit!!) and Carey and Fonts over Craddock and Berra in the centre of defence.

For me the main reason Wolves' strikeforce stands out is due to Blake, all the others are much of a muchness imo. So we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Unfortunately we will never get to witness a central midfield pairing of Elliot and Williams!

Firstly, just being a city fan for many years doesnt automatically earn you respect and suggest that your opinion is any more relevant or better formed than younger fans. Personally I find that thought quite rediclous to be honest. It may just mean they ahve been moaning for many more years than others. Quite how mid table (above in fact) can be seen as a reason to question GJ's ability to take us further over the next couple of years is frankly ludicrous. Of the teams who get promoted into the championship, how many have adapted as quickly as we have in recent years? How many have gone one game from the Prem and been amongst the play off/promotion race in BOTH of their first two seasons since promotion from league one?

In context we have had two fantastic seasons. In many ways for GJ and the team, it would have been far better had the two seasons been reversed as they would appear more logical to the idea of progress. I doubt we would be seeing any such madness had we finished 9th in our first season and then had the play off final in the second. The facts are, people have been blessed with TOO much too soon (last season) and it has blurred all logical expectations of what a promoted side from league one should achieve in the CCC and how quickly they should achieve it.

Yes, we are a few players short of getting into the play offs, yes we are not good enough to have made an other push for the prem but my god, listen to yourselves some of you.....How is that a bad thing to be saying at the end of two years at this level? The majority of sides who come up into the division end up saying 'we were few players short of surviving in this division'.....so for me we have made fantastic progress. To be talking about additions that can make us 'stronger' play off contenders is testament to that.

I think Johnson is at a crossroads in his tenure at City.

The 'Johnson is God' brigade won't hear a bad word against him and it seems any criticism levelled at him is automatically translated as 'sack him' and the comments are countered with words along the lines of "you've never had it so good, what are you complaining about?" "bunch of moaners" and "look what he's done for us".

My greatest disappointment this season is not that we finished mid-table - I'm happy with that, and expected it. For me, what is frustrating is that we, as a team, have not improved over the season. The team now, is no better than the one that lost the play-off final last May.

That is the most damning thing about Johnson's season.

Yes, we might have brought in a few players who, on paper, may be better than what we had, but we haven't performed any better as a team or become more consistant. We still don't know which team is going to turn up on the day. We still make schoolboy errors and we still don't have anyone who can take a decent corner kick 7 out of 10 times.

I said at the beginning of my post that Johnson is at a crossroads. He's shown his 'loyalty to the lads' and they've come up short - not in terms of our final position in the table but in their general play and consistency.

In my opinion, the 'loyalty to the lads' is now out of the window and he MUST make some sweeping changes to the team as a small percentage of his squad isn't good enough for this league and a larger percentage can only just hold their own. There are only five or six players in his entire squad that I would rate as good enough to move us forward and challenge for the top six next season.

The 'Johnson is God' brigade won't hear a bad word against him and it seems any criticism levelled at him is automatically translated as 'sack him' and the comments are countered with words along the lines of "you've never had it so good, what are you complaining about?" "bunch of moaners" and "look what he's done for us".

My greatest disappointment this season is not that we finished mid-table - I'm happy with that, and expected it. For me, what is frustrating is that we, as a team, have not improved over the season. The team now, is no better than the one that lost the play-off final last May.

Yes, we might have brought in a few players who, on paper, may be better than what we had, but we haven't performed any better as a team or become more consistant. We still don't know which team is going to turn up on the day. We still make schoolboy errors and we still don't have anyone who can take a decent corner kick 7 out of 10 times.

I said at the beginning of my post that Johnson is at a crossroads. He's shown his 'loyalty to the lads' and they've come up short - not in terms of our final position in the table but in their general play and consistency.

In my opinion, the 'loyalty to the lads' is now out of the window and he MUST make some sweeping changes to the team as a small percentage of his squad isn't good enough for this league and a larger percentage can only just hold their own. There are only five or six players in his entire squad that I would rate as good enough to move us forward and challenge for the top six next season.

Spot on.

I'd add that it's a real pity that there are an increasing number of city fans using this forum who can't seem to take part in a debate without completely polarising it by means of straw man arguments.

I said at the start of the season that i'd be happy with 10th or better and we have achieved this. The fustrating thing is when you get fans like the one who was walking down the steps of block a of the dolman behind me who was shouting rubbish such as Johnson you are a **** and why don't you **** off and manage the gas :noexpression: this is **** football and i have had enough" WHAT A PRIZE PRAT and we are better off without fans like him.

In regards to the opinion that we should get rid of players such as Mcindoe, Sproule Orr etc and replace them with players of a standard such as Ebanks Blake or Knightly you have to remember that we have a buget and players such as the two mentioned do not fit into our budget. I believe that Mcindoe is as good as we are going to get for our buget. If rumur is correct and that we are getting Paul Ince's son on loan from Liverpool next season then this would give Mcindoe some competition.

For me the problem this year has been our shape. We don't seem to have any IMO. Mcindoe comes in narrow all of the time, Sproule imo should be up top in a front 3, he is NOT a midfielder, Gavin Williams is a central midfielder NOT a right sided player.

For next year i would get rid of McCombe who has been terrible and since he came back into the team we have had a poor run. Irekapen looks much better and has Pace. We need Left handed cover desperatly and Jenson M- Williams is not the answer and should go, Noble will go, Trundle will go as will John, so we need a striker although i really do believe that Styyver will come good.

We are not good enough to play 4-4-2, it doesn't suit the players we have got so we need to either get players in to suit or keep to a 4-3-3 formation.

Also remember last season. Cardiff drew a lot of home games and they tweaked their team over the summer and look how they have done this year so i don't see us as having massive problems just needs a tweak.

For me, what is frustrating is that we, as a team, have not improved over the season. The team now, is no better than the one that lost the play-off final last May.

Good post and an accurate summary of what I've heard being discussed during various conversations over the past few weeks. I have my fingers crossed that Johnson has realised that changes in the squad are required if City are to be threat next season.Hopefully he'll already have feelers out and identified players he'd like to sign over the summer.

In regards to the opinion that we should get rid of players such as Mcindoe, Sproule Orr etc and replace them with players of a standard such as Ebanks Blake or Knightly you have to remember that we have a buget and players such as the two mentioned do not fit into our budget. I believe that Mcindoe is as good as we are going to get for our buget.

What is our budget? - i'm not aware of it being publicised.

I said at the start of the season that i'd be happy with 10th or better and we have achieved this. The fustrating thing is when you get fans like the one who was walking down the steps of block a of the dolman behind me who was shouting rubbish such as Johnson you are a **** and why don't you **** off and manage the gas :noexpression: this is **** football and i have had enough" WHAT A PRIZE PRAT and we are better off without fans like him.

In regards to the opinion that we should get rid of players such as Mcindoe, Sproule Orr etc and replace them with players of a standard such as Ebanks Blake or Knightly you have to remember that we have a buget and players such as the two mentioned do not fit into our budget. I believe that Mcindoe is as good as we are going to get for our buget. If rumur is correct and that we are getting Paul Ince's son on loan from Liverpool next season then this would give Mcindoe some competition.

For me the problem this year has been our shape. We don't seem to have any IMO. Mcindoe comes in narrow all of the time, Sproule imo should be up top in a front 3, he is NOT a midfielder, Gavin Williams is a central midfielder NOT a right sided player.

For next year i would get rid of McCombe who has been terrible and since he came back into the team we have had a poor run. Irekapen looks much better and has Pace. We need Left handed cover desperatly and Jenson M- Williams is not the answer and should go, Noble will go, Trundle will go as will John, so we need a striker although i really do believe that Styyver will come good.

We are not good enough to play 4-4-2, it doesn't suit the players we have got so we need to either get players in to suit or keep to a 4-3-3 formation.

Also remember last season. Cardiff drew a lot of home games and they tweaked their team over the summer and look how they have done this year so i don't see us as having massive problems just needs a tweak.

Couldn't of put it better. :clapping:

It is published. Didn't we lose 2 million or something like that last year so we can't go and spend 3 or 4 million on a player and pay him £ 20,000 per week, that was my point

I was just curious.

Some clubs budget on running at a loss - that's why I wanted to know what our budget was, if it precluded us from bidding for good players.

I'm not sure we are so stingy on players wages anyway - take your point about £20k per week of course but I don't think we pay peanuts either.

Several conversations I've had with other City fans over the last few weeks have led me to realise that some fans are are begining to question Johnsons judgement and ask if he has achieved all he can achieve at City. ...... I'm not talking about new fans or youngster fans but middle aged experienced City fans who opinions are worth listening to and respecting.They have been following City for decades.

I've been following City for 40 years, which I guess is decades, as have some of my mates.

Some of Johnson's decisions are questioned for sure.

I question the inclusion of certain players, the exclusion of others, ocassionally tactics, substitutions, and the apparent lack of faith in younger players.

However, thats just expressing an opinion as to how results could be improved to an even better extent that they have been over the past 3 and a half seasons. That's what people do, on the pub or on here - just discuss and debate.

However I don't think anybody can seriously question Johnson's record, and I don't know any sane person who are questioning whether we are likely to be able to replace him with anyone better.

If we are in a relegation fight next season, or even bumbling along in mid-table, then you might have a point, but give him a chance, its never going to be a straight line upwards.

I agree on the hole with what you have said, however i do not believe the 'loyalty to the lads' should go out the window. GJ gets players playing for him based on the fact that they know if they do he will give them that loyalty. That is VERY important, just as mush now when we need to sign players as it is when we have a team together. Some who have been given that loyalty need to move on, but personally I think the bulk of the team should remain. For a player to consider coming to City, I firmly believe the consistency of GJ and his loyalty is something that they will take great consideration over, and they would see themselves as the player/s that can improve on his 'current' team not become part of totally new one. I think if 'wholesale' changes were made, this side of GJ's attraction to perspective players would dissapear, and personally I don't feel the team is 'bad' enough to warrent losing that attraction.

For me, I think we are 2 or 3 quality players adrift of having a side capable of making the play offs next season. Whilst a player of his quality would be extremely hard to aquire, Ross Mcormack of late has been that level of quality that has propelled Cardiff above all the others, and a player in his 'mould' is what imo we have missed all season. He can and has changed games, won games, and earnt Cardiff points this season. We also require a gifted and goal scoring/assisting MF. Despite having alot of time for LJ and I will always defend his effort, for me he is not the type of player who will win us games from nowhere, that said, i don't feel any of our MF are. We don't carry a threat from MF and on ocaasions when strikers and wingers are played out of a game, it is from the MF that the winning goals can make the difference. Defensively I think we are sound and have enough decent cover, Fonts has been our most improved player this year IMO and has come on leaps and bounds. Carey has been as solid as ever and there is no reason to think he will be anything but the same next season. Both Orr and Mcalister are good honest players and though JM needs to work on his distribution(as does Orr tbh) neither of them are a major concern or priority. I believe NM will have a very good season next year, I think he has been finding his feet this year and now almost has. Adebola will do an other good job if he stays and akinde may be there or near enough come the start of next year, Styvar it appears may have a bit to do but we can't be sure. If the right player became available up front, I would sign them but it would not be my main target. For me we MUST have a game changing MF for next season 'if' we are to launch a bid for the play offs, if we don't get one I think we will remain on the periphery relying on having to perform 100% in every game to be up there, and that is tall order in the championship. For me the current squad can beat the good teams on their day, but that is when they are playing slightly above their actual standard, and that is not sustainable over a whole season. Sometimes, to be in the play off fold, you need to be able to win games at 75%, and that will only happen with some real match winning 'quality'.

Do I believe GJ can do this? Yes. Will it be next year? I don't know. Should we expect it to be next year? I don't think so.

Finding these players will not be easy, everyone is looking for them. So we should not simply expect that GJ can just magically find them. We have been solid this season and for me it has had its positives, we have found out where, when effort does not compensate, where we are weak. We now have to address that IF we can. I don't believe that will be easy as improving on our current team will not be simple. Next season, of course the aim HAS to be to push for and make the play offs, but it CANT be the be all and 'narrow' sole aim. We have to be patient if need be and continue to build season on season to find the quality to make the next step. I think we are two steps ahead of where i expected us to be at this point, so for me, patience from here should not be a problem. We are in a good position to build on a solid side that is now competing very well in this league. I don't believe for one second that we should throw away that foundation and make massive changes. We do need some quality, we need some more depth, but we have a good grounding and a good platform to take things from here. Add one or two this season and make a better fight of it next year, but we have no right to make the PO's next season, many teams will be and feel they are in the same position as us and will also be looking to achieve the 'next step'. If we can get the right players NOW, then great, if not, we must continue to build.

Archived