IGNORED

Next Seasons Expectations

Gloworm

Now that this season is pretty much over for us, what would your expectation for our final position next season?

I, personally, was expecting us to finish between 7th and 10th this season (exactly what happened). I occasionally read posts saying things like "I'm dissappointed we haven't been challenging for promotion this year" etc, etc, clearly showing your expectations for this season.

Remember to consider that:

GJ will make changes and transfers in the close season, we won't have the same team,

West Brom and 2 of Middlesborough/Newcastle/Sunderland/Hull/Portsmouth/Stoke will come down,

Wolves and 2 of Birmingham/Reading/Sheff Utd/Cardiff/Burnley/Preston/Swansea will go up,

Charlton and 2 of Southampton/Forest/Barnsley/Norwich will go down,

Leicester, Peterborough and Millwall/MK Dons/Leeds/Tranmere/S****horpe will come up,

there will still be, with respect, not so great clubs such as Doncaster and Blackpool in the championship,

clubs like Derby and Watford will surely be much improved and

there could be many players moving away from good clubs like Reading, Sheff Utd and Birmingham, should they fail to win promotion.

My personal expectation would be in or around the play-offs. If the right changes are made, I couldn't see us finishing any lower than we did this year, and probably in the play-offs. The handicap of 'second season syndrome' will be gone as well.

Now that this season is pretty much over for us, what would your expectation for our final position next season?

I, personally, was expecting us to finish between 7th and 10th this season (exactly what happened). I occasionally read posts saying things like "I'm dissappointed we haven't been challenging for promotion this year" etc, etc, clearly showing your expectations for this season.

Remember to consider that:

GJ will make changes and transfers in the close season, we won't have the same team,

West Brom and 2 of Middlesborough/Newcastle/Sunderland/Hull/Portsmouth/Stoke will come down,

Wolves and 2 of Birmingham/Reading/Sheff Utd/Cardiff/Burnley/Preston/Swansea will go up,

Charlton and 2 of Southampton/Forest/Barnsley/Norwich will go down,

Leicester, Peterborough and Millwall/MK Dons/Leeds/Tranmere/S****horpe will come up,

there will still be, with respect, not so great clubs such as Doncaster and Blackpool in the championship,

clubs like Derby and Watford will surely be much improved and

there could be many players moving away from good clubs like Reading, Sheff Utd and Birmingham, should they fail to win promotion.

My personal expectation would be in or around the play-offs. If the right changes are made, I couldn't see us finishing any lower than we did this year, and probably in the play-offs. The handicap of 'second season syndrome' will be gone as well.

Prior to the start of this season many predicted that the likes of Charlton and Southampton would improve. It didn`t happen, dramatically so.

Personally, as it stands, i`d say another finish around 10th would be reasonable. I think it`s far too early to be trying to make any reasoned expectation with so much close season business yet to unfold. Ask the question again towards the end of June when we`ll have a better idea of how the squad looks after all the summer transfers.

Regarding the summer transfers bit. I just read that through and just to clarify, i meant transfers throughout the CCC, not just ours, i`m not expecting a mass influx of players. :D

PDG

Anything other than top spot would be ridiculous IMO. Also Lee J should have netted at LEAST 20 by x-mas other wise he should be the first out the door come Jan 2010.

On a more serious note i would again be happy with top 10, lets be honest we wernt far off this year. With a few extra quality players and if we can keep hold of Elliot and possibly Fontaine i think we will again be there or there abouts come May 2010.

I predicted a tenth placed finish this time round. And I would settle for tenth next time out on the basis that:-

1) we bring some quality into the club

2) we adopt a more attacking approach with a bit of flair and passing football rather than heavy reliance on workrate, dogged defending and a direct style of play on the counter attack

Hopefully that is not unreasonable or unrealistic. I am more than happy to be patient in our quest to move up a level - I would just like to see the football improve year on year.

I reckon the summer will see more cut from the team than added; Trunds, John, Nobes and possibly Boom and Dele will be out, GJ will go for a large target player or a jobbing midfielder but I have a bad feeling we are going to get burned for it a lot sooner than last year- Bottom half around mid-october/early november, Things will pick up around Christmas again but GJ will finally snap out of it and ask Steve to spread eight figures for up to three players- and we are going to need them by 2nd-week January. Settling time aside the playoff race will jump-start the first week of March and City will have a more solid shot at the POs- we'll be expected to reach third but I reckon if we don't screw up in January as badly then we can get fifth behind Brom, Cardiff, Reading and this season's beaten PO-runners up.

I don't expect us to get promotion, although we have the potential with a few quality signings (which won't come BTW) to make the play offs but the main priority for me is to be entertained because at the moment I AM NOT.

SAY NO TO NEGATIVE, BORING, PREDICTABLE, DEFENSIVE TACTICS.

BCAGFC

I've been trawling the Beeb away from GJ's gumyapping, and I found THIS regarding a team that seems to face a similar dilemma.

"In the summer transfer market I see Chelsea, Liverpool and co spending millions to buy new players to build a stronger team, but when I look at my club they are spending almost nothing on new players and letting some key players go.

"Now the young players are growing very fast, showing great attitude and great character on the pitch, but they are still missing experience.

"It seems they've got back the routine they had last year, but you can't afford to be very good for six months and then average for three months when you want to win things.

"You have to be good from the beginning until the end but you can't learn that without experience. Yet, in turn, experience is very rare and expensive because it's like a good wine - you have to give it to develop and gain knowledge."

source.

couple of good signings should net us a top half finish and solid base to build on

couple of bad signings then prob bottom half finish

don't think promotion or relegation though.

Part of me would take a slightly lower finish if it meant getting our passing game back, so we are a better footballing side the season afer and can start to consistently challenge for promotion agian by the time the Ashton Vale Superdome is ready!

Well, I've been reading what Big P, Seend Red and a few others have had to say and I reckon we'll be lucky to avoid finishing bottom. Hope they're wrong though.

Cheese - having read Seend's post it sounds like you were a little presumptious.

I think we will finish lower than this season unless we replace a number of players with people of long term CCC quality and/or use the loan market effectively.

If we do that, then we should be mounting a serious challenge.

Up to GJ as it should be of course.

Guest bigcheese
I'll settle to be entertained, get my £425 worth and stay in the CCC.

Not much to ask is it.

Same here, wanna see some decent football get played and keep a place

in the CCC, anything else is a bonus

Expect the unexpected, top or bottom neither would surprise me;don't think there will be many millions spent and if not to much damage is done in close season we will prob be about mid- table.

Well, I've been reading what Big P, Seend Red and a few others have had to say and I reckon we'll be lucky to avoid finishing bottom. Hope they're wrong though.

Rather than slate what others opinions are (as per), why don't you offer your expectations, based on the football you've seen this season and the current squad?

I think we'll click more next season, Williams will have the whole year to improve our passing, and we'll get more of the rub of the green, but have better teams up against us.

I'd like to still be in the promotion shake-up on the last day, and see two out of Akinde, Ribeiro, Artus, Weale, and Wilson becoming regular first-teamers with the others still in and around the squad. I think that's realistic.

I'd be satisfied with top half again - getting ourselves established as a team to be feared in the division.

I would expect to finish anywhere from 14th to 9th next season if the squad is kept virtually the same. As a team, our workrate will always mean that we grind out enough points to hold our own but in quality we lack and this needs to be sorted. Sooner rather than later but I'll be happy no matter when the players are brought in so long as they actually come to us. Not say they are coming, then for the gaffer to send them back.

I predicted a tenth placed finish this time round. And I would settle for tenth next time out on the basis that:-

1) we bring some quality into the club

2) we adopt a more attacking approach with a bit of flair and passing football rather than heavy reliance on workrate, dogged defending and a direct style of play on the counter attack

Hopefully that is not unreasonable or unrealistic. I am more than happy to be patient in our quest to move up a level - I would just like to see the football improve year on year.

My thoughts too. There would appear to be a very fine line between relative success and failure in the CCC. My main concern is that we have had two lengthy spells this season (we're in one now) where our form has been relegation material. Thankfully our one spell of promotion form, that started with Watford away and finished with Reading away, has seen us safe. We can't afford too many patches like we're going through now next season. Hopefully our home form will improve next year on the back of a more positive approach.

Mid-table at best. The nucleus of the team has been together for a while, and has run out of momentum. I can't see that we can afford the quality to get promoted, so I hope that we will bring in a mix of experienced journeymen and youngsters, so that we can remain in the CCC, and look to mount a challenge in a year or two. He should be looking at Ribiero, Wilson, Akinde and Artus as part of he sqaud, and regulars on the bench as a minimum, and having a smaller, but stronger squad of experienced players. What happens with Stuyvar will be interesting, as to date, he has looked more of a turkey than the entire Bernard Matthews empire. With credit crunching, moving on the likes of Trundle, Noble, McCoombe, Sprout etc might be difficult to move on.... And if any of those 4 are out of contract, excuse my ignorance.

What about Myrie-thingy? Is he out of contract, or does he have another 12 Months of loans to look forward to?

My expectations start before the start of next season. I expect Johnson to trim the current squad and bring in some new players over the summer. That done I would expect City to be more of threat than this season by playing some consistant 'on the deck' football. That just hasn't been possible this season with the curent squad of players. Apart from the injury prone Williams City have no creative midfielders and a bunch of defenders that hoof the ball far too often.

If Johnson gets stubborn and continues to stick with 'this bunch of lads' then I would expect City to stuggle.

Back in August I looked at the other CCC teams and worked out 14 were stronger than City, so as we are higher than 15th, that's a bonus to me.

OK City let 8 points slip; the home draws v Derby, Forest, Cardiff & PNE could (and should?) have been wins, but presumably every team has a similar sob story. But even with 8 more points we'd still be outside the play offs, so hopefully GJ & the team will absorb the experience and shut the moaners up in 12 months time.

For anyone who thinks we've really failed what must Palce fans be thinking? Play offs last year to be followed by lower mid table mediocrity this.

Archived