IGNORED

Is It Time To Ditch Gary?

roylegalatyeo

The important opinion is that of SL and I'm sure he is also laughing.

Really? You think he's laughing tonight? I'll wager that he isn't. And I'll also wager that he'll be wondering whether or not GJ is the manager he thought he was. Don't forget that SL got rid of Danny after two consecutive third place finishes.

Really? You think he's laughing tonight? I'll wager that he isn't. And I'll also wager that he'll be wondering whether or not GJ is the manager he thought he was. Don't forget that SL got rid of Danny after two consecutive third place finishes.

Tosh. SL is behind GJ and so he bloody well should be. We are in a better position not (punching at our deserved weight) [unlike Ricky!] floundering around the Forest etc as was predicted at the start of the season

in my humble opinion mr johnson is the best manager out side of the prem i said this at the start of the season and i still belive this we spent so long in the lower divisions then he got us promoted then missed out on the prem then finished 10 th in the championship there are many many fans who would swap places with us ie southampton norwich etc we are financial sound we have a new stadium in the offing and we are becomeing a established championship team the future is bright the future is red granted we need to tweek the team we need to sort the midfield and play to manards strengths he will score plenty of goals next season we need cover in defence as carey is getting no younger fontaine is looking good artus can come back from cheltenham and do a job we have ribero to come back wilson may yet develope into a decent player so in my opinion NO we do not need to get rid of mr johnson AND I WILL LEAVE YOU WITH THIS QUESTION WHO? WHOULD YOU BRING IN THAT WOULD BE BETTER THAN GARY ? I CANT THINK OFF ANY ONE OUT SIDE OF THE PREM so roll on next season and always belive

Out of breath after reading that!

Boring football, dubious signings, dubious tactics all needs sorting. I think we will struggle next season and attendances will be down.

As said elsewhere apart from Carey, Johnson, Maynard anyone else could be gone this close season. :noexpression:

Will be very surprised if more than 2 new faces come in.

Not time to ditch yet but he will come under more pressure as the season goes on; money will be tight even if the likes of Elliott move on, will we find better for the money anyway.

IF City did sack Gary J, who is better AND would want to replace him? There's plenty of managers looking for work, but how many would we want at AG?

Frank O'Farrell was manager of Torquay and was approached by Harry Dolman to become City's manager. Frank had priciples though and turned the offer down as he didn't like the way Fred Ford had been got rid of.

Would a new manager definitely guarantee success? Alan Dicks was manager for 13 years; City ran into problems and sacked him. We then had 7 managers in the next 14 years but didn't get back into the top div.

Boring football, dubious signings, dubious tactics all needs sorting. I think we will struggle next season and attendances will be down.

As said elsewhere apart from Carey, Johnson, Maynard anyone else could be gone this close season. :noexpression:

Not time to ditch yet but he will come under more pressure as the season goes on; money will be tight even if the likes of Elliott move on, will we find better for the money anyway.

I agree. No time to ditch GJ, BUT I would like to see an improvement next season not just in results but in terms of a little more entertainment.

I would like to see the team play with a little more freedom and I would like to see our wigers given the liecence to play out wide instead of just tucking in and hoping for a one nill win.

GJ is a good Manager but he is not as good has some people on this site think he is, I don't belive GJ is the best Manager outsde the Prem, I sure the fans of PNE, Burnley, Swansea, Peterborough and others will have something to say about that.

I would like to point out that part of our success in recent years is been down to the Chairman and I would be more upset if we lost SL, IF Gj did leave he is replaceable no person is bigger than the club I get the filling sometimes that GJ thinks he is.

And some on here reckon we are fickle.

1000+ e-mails demanding sack !!! Up to last month the Blues owner (Sullivan) has revealed that the board have to date recieved over 1000 correspondence calling for the sacking of M'Cliesh.JEEZ what they going to do when he does summat wrong. :dunno:

Wilson was relieved of his duties due to the fact he wouldn't accept that his resources were being cut.

No.

It's time for Gary to re-think some of his approach based on this season though.

We've got as far as hard work and team spirit alone will take us. Now we need quality.

So the real question is.

Do you trust Johnson to make the correct desicions over the summer?

So the real question is.

Do you trust Johnson to make the correct desicions over the summer?

Or: do you trust Johnson to make the correct decisions given that there will be numerous real-world limiting factors restricting the options from which he can chooose?

As Johnson says, we all know who the big-name players are who we'd all love to have in the squad but we're not in a position yet to easily attract the obvious players so Johnson has to be a bit more cute in his dealings. Since he's the man who recommended Parhars to Southampton I'm fairly certain he does know how to recognise a good Premier League standard player, we just have to hope he can attract a few over the Summer.

Or: do you trust Johnson to make the correct decisions given that there will be numerous real-world limiting factors restricting the options from which he can chooose?

As Johnson says, we all know who the big-name players are who we'd all love to have in the squad but we're not in a position yet to easily attract the obvious players so Johnson has to be a bit more cute in his dealings. Since he's the man who recommended Parhars to Southampton I'm fairly certain he does know how to recognise a good Premier League standard player, we just have to hope he can attract a few over the Summer.

I understand we cant just go buying anyone we want. I wasnt just talking about buying players, I'm talking about gettin rid of what don't cut it, Team selections etc.

We have spent the money the last two seasons on both fees and wages to compete with most clubs at this level. Our signings have been very much a mixed bag.

Whilst we've done well with signings like McIndoe, Elliot and Fontaine and probably done alright with Maynard if we can give him servicem we've completely had our pants pulled down for players like Sproule, Styvar and Trundle.

We'll need to spend the money very effectively over the summer and I've yet to be convinced GJ recognises where we need to strengthen. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign 3 strikers and a centre half and wonder why we can't score still.

We have spent the money the last two seasons on both fees and wages to compete with most clubs at this level. Our signings have been very much a mixed bag.

Whilst we've done well with signings like McIndoe, Elliot and Fontaine and probably done alright with Maynard if we can give him servicem we've completely had our pants pulled down for players like Sproule, Styvar and Trundle.

We'll need to spend the money very effectively over the summer and I've yet to be convinced GJ recognises where we need to strengthen. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign 3 strikers and a centre half and wonder why we can't score still.

We will more than likely still have Maynard, Styvar and Akinde who is to say that GJ will think thats enough :disapointed2se: with the inclusion of another journey man in the S John mould.

All of those bar Maynard that you have mentioned could be gone by the start of next season :noexpression:

We do not know the restrictions that are put on GJ re buying and selling, there will be no open cheque book, in fact a smaller wage bill and squad is likely.

It is a ridiculous idea to suggest that we should ditch Gary Johnson BUT.....

It is now time for GJ to start earning his large salary. It is clear to all but the most one eyed happy clapping optimist that the current squad HAS literally taken us as far as it can go. For the first time since his early rebuild of the club GJ has some very tough decisions to make if he is going to make progress at this football club. Next season he therefore starts with a clean slate in my eyes and past achievements are literally that......history.

Players like McCombe, Sproule and Trundle have shown that the weaknesses in their games mean they cannot perform consistently at Championship level. Others like Lee Johnson and Jamie McAllister would have to show improvement in the weaker areas of their game in order to stay in the team if they had genuine competition for their places. Youngsters like Ribiero, Wilson, Akinde and Artus have shown promise against league opposition and will be looking to get some games next season. Do we go with Weale and Henderson or Basso and Henderson? Can GJ change the style of play to get the most out of Nicky Maynard and Michael McIndoe? Can he perform miracles and get ANYTHING out of Styvar? Can he attract QUALITY footballers to the club and amend the playing style accordingly? Can GJ get it right when spending significant sums of money on new players?

GJ has had a nice honeymoon period of circa three years at this football club and has done an excellent job, relative to what he inherited and the size and status of our club when he took over, in that period. However the status of our club is now higher than it has been for donkey's years (thanks to Johnson himself) and it is now up to the manager to show his mettle and bring the required quality of player and standard of football in line with our new found status (top third of clubs in the country). Another season of sterile, negative football componded by a failure of the basic managerial tactic of trying to hold onto a 1-0 win every week will not be a success at all next season, in my opinion, and only if we attempt to continue in that vein should we ask the question of whether GJ is a one dimensional manager who has hit the buffers.

i think people our too quick to judge gary he hadn't ever managed at this level before us

and getting into the playoff final last season and a mid table this year isn't that bad or as bad as some are making out

gary isn't a bad manager and the experience he would of got over the last few years in this league I'm sure will help us not hinder us

yes he has made mistakes like we all do but he has also done alot of good things but i can see us getting stronger under gary he now knows what the championship is all about plus he is two years wiser and sacking him would be a bad idea

Sacking GJ now would be completely wrong and a poor reward for taking a team on its way to League 2 and turning them into an above average Championship side. This has been done with positive football and SOME good investments in the transfer market and Gary has given us 4 winning seasons.

This year was particularly disppointing given the position we were in in February, with the great performance at Reading being followed by 6 successive away defeats and only one home win in 6 (P12 W1 D5 L6. Pts 8 ) There seems to be no interest in changing the tactics, no blooding of academy players, and has been very frustrating to watch. Given Gary's overall record it seems reasonable to ignore the last few weeks and it is no time to change the manager now.

Hopefully the close season will see a big change in the staff. I would like to see the overrated Adebola (48 + 8 apps 16 goals) move on, Maynard has no chance while he is the main strike partner. I'm assuming no money will be wasted on Stern John, If Elliott goes it will be a shame but injuries have sevely restricted his contribution this year. I would shed no tears if McCalister, Sproule, Williams, G Johnson were to leave, all ok players in the own right, but nothing special at championship level.

I would like to see Artus and Jackson be given a chance to see what they can do, The money spent on our academy should produce players of championship standard - recently it seems to have been a production line for Cheltenham. If any management changes are needed it here rather than at first team level.

Changes over the summer will be needed to improve the team, If we continue the way we are we will finish nearer the bottom than the top next year. Now is a challenging time for GJ, he needs to make major changes to the playing style and personnel if we are to get anywhere near the playoffs. So far he hasnt let us down lets hope he is successful again next season.

CJ

always make me angry when this comes up, it's alright saying we should replace GJ but who the hell better could we attract down here better than GJ? - no one!

be pleased with what we've got - I am!

Stupid, stupid, stupid thread. Johnson MUST stay. Most clubs in the Championship would love to have Gary Johnson as manager. What he has achieved in less than 4 seasons at the club is fantastic.

It's not just money though, it's the prestige to be able to attract the better players. Given an offer of similar contracts a player is still going to choose a Sheffield Utd, Wolves or even Preston over City... or at least that was the case when we first came up and to a lesser extent last year. It should be less of a factor now.

I think you're being harsh on the players that have been signed, too. We still haven't seen enough of Styvar to judge, Sproule has been good in fits and starts and certainly better than Scott Murray would have been, so an improvement on the position, whilst Trundle had his market value distorted by other deals that Summer and I'm not sure we could have really done better at the time.

We definitely do need to strengthen in key positions but I have faith in GJ to make the best signings he can wherever possible. I'm not going to read too much into what he says, I shall wait and see what he does, and I don't want him spending money for the sake of it so if the right player's not availalbe it's best to make do with what we have, which is at least good enough to stay in the division.

Johnsons done agreat job over the last 3 seasons , but maybe its time to replace him now rather than wait until we are struggling next season.Our recent run since we beat Coventry on March 10th ,has been nothing short of relegation form,not forgetting the run we had before xmas,that saw us fall down to 18th inthe table.

Can't even believe this question has been asked!!

* Bottom of the league when he came, just missed out on playoffs at the end of that season.

* Promotion to Championship as runners up in his second season.

* Losing playoff finalists in our first season in the championship.

* Finished 10th in our second season in the championship.

.....and you want to start from scratch, on the basis of a run of no wins in the last 8 games? :rofl2br:

Johnsons done agreat job over the last 3 seasons , but maybe its time to replace him now rather than wait until we are struggling next season.Our recent run since we beat Coventry on March 10th ,has been nothing short of relegation form,not forgetting the run we had before xmas,that saw us fall down to 18th inthe table.

Moderators should take this post down.

censorship is good when such utter tosh is espoused.

Guest chefunk

i can only say this seasons football at home has been hard to watch anyone who disagrees must be another relative of gj,s and if i hear the phrase :more quality in the final third: my head will explode.

if gary thinks we are making progress perhaps he should try and watch games from the terraces having forked out 25 to 30 quid. as far as i can tell we are progressing back to div 1 where gary belongs and is most comfy

i say lets ditch gary, there is no room for sentiment, ambition to get into the premier league should not be shouted down by blind loyalists of gj. last time i looked it was BCFC not GJFC . GJ has taken club as far as he can !

(don't forget players and managers are very well paid and thats why we the city fan deserve better)

i can only say this seasons football at home has been hard to watch anyone who disagrees must be another relative of gj,s and if i hear the phrase :more quality in the final third: my head will explode.

if gary thinks we are making progress perhaps he should try and watch games from the terraces having forked out 25 to 30 quid. as far as i can tell we are progressing back to div 1 where gary belongs and is most comfy

i say lets ditch gary, there is no room for sentiment, ambition to get into the premier league should not be shouted down by blind loyalists of gj. last time i looked it was BCFC not GJFC . GJ has taken club as far as he can !

(don't forget players and managers are very well paid and thats why we the city fan deserve better)

sir alex was close to being sacked and then started a dynasty , patience is required , look where we are and look where we were 3 years ago

:gasmask::gasmask::gasmask::gasmask::gasmask::gasmask::gasmask::gasmask::gasmask::gasmask::gasmask::gasmask::gasmask::gasmask::gasmask::gasmask::gasmask::gasmask:

Guest chefunk

[quote name='chefunk' date='May 4 2009, 6:46 PM' post=he is not alex ferguson , he and landsdown targeted a top 2 finish at the start of the season perhaps they meant top 12

Archived