IGNORED

Chris Weale To Leicester

silverfox

Radio Bristol reporting Leicester's interest in Weale.

Am I alone in thinking it would be madness to let him go? I know Basso's been great for us, but given that Chris is unlikely to stay without the promise of more starts, is it time to consider having him at the top of the pecking order for our keepers to persuade him to stay, especially as Basso is no Spring Chicken?

Thoughts?

Offer them Basso for £400,000, sign Weale to a long term deal.

For that fact, offer everyone Basso for a reasonable price. He,s been a great servant and had an exceptional year last term but this season the error's returned.

Put faith in Weale and Henderson and, if possible, cash in on Basso.

Madness based on what exactly?

Can't say I would be too disappointed seeing him go, he's played half a dozen games for us since he's been here and has made mistakes in nearly all of them, and he is injury prone.

I would be more disappointed seeing Henderson leave.

I'd like to see Weale No.1 for Bristol City next season, not Leicester.

Potentially an excellent goalkeeper for City for many years to come - time for Basso to move on if one has to.

I agree that it would be madness to let Weale go.

Madness based on what exactly?

Can't say I would be too disappointed seeing him go, he's played half a dozen games for us since he's been here and has made mistakes in nearly all of them, and he is injury prone.

I would be more disappointed seeing Henderson leave.

And Basso has never made a mistake. The time is right to get as much money as we can from Basso and move him on. Why not give Weale a run at the NO1 shirt. Perhaps if he had a run and gets some confidence he may suprise all off us.

And Basso has never made a mistake. The time is right to get as much money as we can from Basso and move him on. Why not give Weale a run at the NO1 shirt. Perhaps if he had a run and gets some confidence he may suprise all off us.

Of course he has made mistakes, why is it time to cash in on one of the best keepers we have had in ages to put in place an untried keeper who is injury prone.

I'd like to see Weale No.1 for Bristol City next season, not Leicester.

Potentially an excellent goalkeeper for City for many years to come - time for Basso to move on if one has to.

I agree that it would be madness to let Weale go.

From what I've seen of Weale (in the first team and in the reserves), I have to agree. Whenever he replaced Basso for one reason or another last season, I never felt nervous when he was between the sticks. Genuinely nice bloke as well.

Of course he has made mistakes, why is it time to cash in on one of the best keepers we have had in ages to put in place an untried keeper who is injury prone.

Because he,s getting older, Is not the keeper he was two years ago and if we can make money from him everybody has a price. Example Marv. Would hate to see him go, but if as reported Wolves will offer 3 million for him the greater good of the club has to prevail. You don,t turn down that amount of money. Example Jamie McCombe until he got injured a rock in our defence but look how Fonts has come on since. Basso has been great and I love him, but sometimes you have to move on.

I think you're all missing the point.

Weale is now out of contract so the decision is his, not GJ's.

I can't see that after just 5 league starts in three seasons that he'll hang around for another year.

Basso with Henderson as understudy next year, I think.

I wouldn't like to see Weale go, purely as I don't think we've had our moneys worth out of him!

We took him when he was recovering from a serious injury, nursed him back and then have hardly used him. Agreed it was down to the form of Basso he hasn't featured. Understandably he probably wants regular first team football, shouldn't any footballer desire that? I've seen every home match during the time he has been here, and a few away too, but feel I've hardly seen him.

Saying that, Henderson looked well able recently. We were impressed by his kicking. Is there still room for 3 'keepers?

EDIT: sipowicz has provided the appearance stat above, no wonder I feel I've hardly seen him!

Basso has made a couple of high profile mistakes this season, but i don't think its fair to say from that that hes over the hill. He also makes his fair share of class saves most keepers wouldnt and for me he is still in credit. At 34 he could play another 5 years so i don't think we need to worry about his impending retirement.

I think this will come down to the personal decision of GJ and the coaching staff on how good they think Weale is. If he is as good as some people on here seem to think he is then I'm sure he will get an offer and be seriously challenging for Bassos spot.

If he isnt then i reckon we will let him go.

They will have seen a lot more of weales ability than we have so i trust the manager to make the right call here, whatever it may be

Radio Bristol reporting Leicester's interest in Weale.

Am I alone in thinking it would be madness to let him go? I know Basso's been great for us, but given that Chris is unlikely to stay without the promise of more starts, is it time to consider having him at the top of the pecking order for our keepers to persuade him to stay, especially as Basso is no Spring Chicken?

Thoughts?

Used to play the second string so why not?

I am not entirely convinced by Weale. hasn't played much but at fault away at Blackpool and Wolves and thats in his pitiful amount of appearances in 2008/09.

Agree with RedM, if anything he owes us!

Blackpool away?

Although he had a bit of a shocker handling outside the area (though the ball was going nowhere anyway), he pulled off one absolutely brilliant save to help win us the three points. And if you have Bristol City World watch back over the highlights because I'm not exaggerating when I say that.

I think you're all missing the point.

Weale is now out of contract so the decision is his, not GJ's.

I can't see that after just 5 league starts in three seasons that he'll hang around for another year.

Basso with Henderson as understudy next year, I think.

Yes of course Weale is out of contract, and if a club come in for him with, what he considers, a better offer then he may well head for pastures new.

Clearly for him to hang around, and this is the course I would pursue, I would offer him a new contract, tell him that the number one jersey is 'his to lose' next season and reassure him that he is both the present and future between the Ashton Gate sticks.

Basso has made a couple of high profile mistakes this season, but i don't think its fair to say from that that hes over the hill. He also makes his fair share of class saves most keepers wouldnt and for me he is still in credit. At 34 he could play another 5 years so i don't think we need to worry about his impending retirement.

I think this will come down to the personal decision of GJ and the coaching staff on how good they think Weale is. If he is as good as some people on here seem to think he is then I'm sure he will get an offer and be seriously challenging for Bassos spot.

If he isnt then i reckon we will let him go.

They will have seen a lot more of weales ability than we have so i trust the manager to make the right call here, whatever it may be

Clearly not good enough, if being out of contact is anything to go by

Yes of course Weale is out of contract, and if a club come in for him with, what he considers, a better offer then he may well head for pastures new.

Clearly for him to hang around, and this is the course I would pursue, I would offer him a new contract, tell him that the number one jersey is 'his to lose' next season and reassure him that he is both the present and future between the Ashton Gate sticks.

Exactly, what we don't want is another Heffernan/Lita situation where City think one player is staying so they let the other one move on. Then a big offer comes in and within weeks both have left the club.

The problem is we have no choice with Weale but if he departs and then an offer comes in for Basso we'll be in trouble.

Basso would likely want to go as he has stated his desire to play at the highest possible level, and time is running out for him.

Then we'd be left with the inexperienced Henderson and no back up.

Is Basso really planning to finish his career at City? I doubt it.

Weale needs to be reassured NOW ( if he hasn't been already ) that GJ considers him to be City's long term No.1 or we could really live to regret it.

Exactly, what we don't want is another Heffernan/Lita situation where City think one player is staying so they let the other one move on. Then a big offer comes in and within weeks both have left the club.

The problem is we have no choice with Weale but if he departs and then an offer comes in for Basso we'll be in trouble.

Basso would likely want to go as he has stated his desire to play at the highest possible level, and time is running out for him.

Then we'd be left with the inexperienced Henderson and no back up.

Is Basso really planning to finish his career at City? I doubt it.

Weale needs to be reassured NOW ( if he hasn't been already ) that GJ considers him to be City's long term No.1 or we could really live to regret it.

But he's out of contract

But he's out of contract

Well the first step to reassuring him is to offer him a new one. I'm assuming he hasn't rejected one, and that his present contract hasn't actually run out as things stand.

Personally I'd also assure him that after three years as understudy, and a successful loan spell at Yeovil, he will start as No.I next season.

Then it's up to him to keep the shirt.

If Basso doesn't like that, well I guess we might only have Weale and Henderson next season, bit I'd be happy enough with that.

I see this completely differently.

We have a very good, proven Championship goalkeeper, who at 34 is a decent age for a keeper (is 5 years younger then England's no.1) and doesn't appear to be attacting Prem clubs' interest, has been described by GJ regularly as "the best signing he's ever made" and who will in all likelihood, be staying.

Then a very good, fairly experienced deputy who is understandably disappointed at playing so few games for us, so will move on now, no matter what sort of contract he's offered.

Plus a highly promising 21 year old who looks happy to move up to the second keeper slot and on the 2 occasions he's been needed so far has let no-one down. I also think he's far too good to stay here as a third keeper now, by the way.

I'll bet anyone very good money that next season sees Basso playing for us again as first choice and Henderson backing him up on the bench with Weale moving elsewhere.

We have a very good, proven Championship goalkeeper, who at 34 is a decent age for a keeper (is 5 years younger then England's no.1) and doesn't appear to be attacting Prem clubs' interest, has been described by GJ regularly as "the best signing he's ever made" and who will in all likelihood, be staying.

Then a very good, fairly experienced deputy who is understandably disappointed at playing so few games for us, so will move on now, no matter what sort of contract he's offered.

Plus a highly promising 21 year old who looks happy to move up to the second keeper slot and on the 2 occasions he's been needed so far has let no-one down. I also think he's far too good to stay here as a third keeper now, by the way.

I'll bet anyone very good money that next season sees Basso playing for us again as first choice and Henderson backing him up on the bench with Weale moving elsewhere.

You may well be right about this - but IMO that will only be down to circumstances, not what's best for the development of the team. Simply, if Weale is out of contract and someone wants him, GJ can let him go - short-term problem sorted. If no-one wants to pay money for Basso we're stuck in the present position!

Weale has been offered a new contract so its up to him apparently. I'd be amazed if he elects to sign for another term - although I would very much like him to do so.

Sipowicz;

I certainly would not take that bet as I completely agree with you. I too believe that next season Basso will be the number one, backed up by Henderson.

However I would attempt to cash in on Basso who, in my opinion, is overrated, massively by some, and put faith in Weale.

Yep, there's certainly 2 ways of looking at this.

Basso's a very good keeper whose popularity amongst the fans and occasionally exaggerated saves can create a good atmosphere. He's good for the club, I'd say, but not necessarily in terms of our overall goalkeeping situation.

I don't think he'll stay at City for the rest of his career and it's not clear that he welcomes genuine competition to his No. 1 slot. If he loses his place through injury ( quite likely going by past events ) and a deputy comes in and does well he may still feel he should immediately return when fit, and if he doesn't there may be problems.

With 3 such competent keepers, this can't be right and although you say Henderson would be a capable deputy if Weale left it's not impossible that both will tire of Basso's untouchable status and be tempted by first team football elsewhere.

34 isn't that young for a keeper who often relies on his reactions and I believe Weale is better than you give him credit for and would thrive as City's first choice given an extended opportunity.

Weale and Henderson could cover City's goalkeeping position for the next 8-10 years, Basso I feel will probably only be at the Gate for another 2 years at the most. If in the meantime the others have moved on through understandable frustration we could be in the unenviable position of scratching around trying to find another first choice keeper when we had 2 excellent replacements in the first place.

Weale's contract situation brings matters to a head and it will be interesting just how highly GJ rates him and what assurances he has been given with the offer of a new one.

I agree it's most likely Basso will stay, but I don't believe that is the best long term option for the club.

Well the first step to reassuring him is to offer him a new one. I'm assuming he hasn't rejected one, and that his present contract hasn't actually run out as things stand.

Personally I'd also assure him that after three years as understudy, and a successful loan spell at Yeovil, he will start as No.I next season.

Then it's up to him to keep the shirt.

If Basso doesn't like that, well I guess we might only have Weale and Henderson next season, bit I'd be happy enough with that.

I agree with you about the need to keep Weale.

But would Johnson let his contract run out if he wanted to keep him at the club?

Archived