IGNORED

Chris Weale To Leicester

silverfox

I agree with you about the need to keep Weale.

But would Johnson let his contract run out if he wanted to keep him at the club?

Basso is class and more like 24. Henderson is the perfect back up. At 27 it's time for Weale to move on. Stand in at Walker stadium or first choice at Huish Park doesn't matter to me. Good luck anyway.

Blackpool away?

Although he had a bit of a shocker handling outside the area (though the ball was going nowhere anyway), he pulled off one absolutely brilliant save to help win us the three points. And if you have Bristol City World watch back over the highlights because I'm not exaggerating when I say that.

Deliberate handball outside the area, I felt he was lucky to stay on the pitch. To make matters worse he almost repeated the incident minutes later.

Derby at home? Weak hand to that goal as well.

Wolves away? Howler from a free kick out wide.

Just what is it that makes a minority think that Weale is so flippin' brilliant? Please, somebody tell me.

Remember seeing him at Swindon in a friendly when he first joined City and he was dropping crosses for fun.

Nothing against the man, but quite what he's done to make some think he should be City's no. 1 next season???!!! ###### knows.

Deliberate handball outside the area, I felt he was lucky to stay on the pitch. To make matters worse he almost repeated the incident minutes later.

Just what is it that makes a minority think that Weale is so flippin' brilliant? Please, somebody tell me.

Remember seeing him at Swindon in a friendly when he first joined City and he was dropping crosses for fun.

Nothing against the man, but quite what he's done to make some think he should be City's no. 1 next season???!!! ###### knows.

:chant6ez:

I doubt there is one person on here who has watched him more than a dozen times in his career, and yet somehow know he is a brilliant keeper.

And after watching Basso for the past 3 years they want him replaced, Basso is the best keeper at the club by a country mile from what I have seen, and is still regarded as one of the best keepers outside of the premier league. Lets get rid of him then. :noexpression:

From your post you seem to be trying to make the argument that actually Weale isn't very good at all and certainly not up to Championship standard. That's a different argument altogether, but I'd say he is and Leicester for one would seem to agree.

You could make a list of errors against any goalkeeper, and Basso is certainly no exception. It's particularly difficult for a goalie who only comes in for the odd appearance where the scrutiny is that much greater, and the important understanding with the defence is not forged.

No one's saying Basso is no good, or City should 'get rid of him', it's simply a matter of deciding how City would be best served in the goalkeeping position fot the next 5-10 years, rather than just the next couple when Basso will be a candidate.

I wasn't saying Weale is brilliant, just making the point that he far from had a shocker at Blackpool.

And just because he handled it outside the area, why should that be a straight red? It was in the corner of the penalty area and he certainly didn't deny a goalscoring opportunity from that angle and with defenders covering.

I think Basso started to believe his own hype after our success last season, but hopefully he realises now that he'll never play for Brazil (or England) and will knuckle down. I wouldn't lose any sleep if he went, but I think he's got another one or two seasons left in him.

Evening Post - 'Bristol City chairman Steve Lansdown fears the prospect of regular first-team football may persuade goalkeeper Chris Weale to end his three-year stay at Ashton Gate this summer.'

Is it just me, or when SL or GJ fear the prospect of something, it usually means the writing is on the wall?

Good luck Chris.

I wasn't saying Weale is brilliant, just making the point that he far from had a shocker at Blackpool.

And just because he handled it outside the area, why should that be a straight red? It was in the corner of the penalty area and he certainly didn't deny a goalscoring opportunity from that angle and with defenders covering.

Becuase the rules of the games dictate that if a goal keeper handles outside of the 18 yard area its a straight red card, nothing to do with goal scoring oportunitities.

The only exception I can think of was an Anfield in 94 when Grobbelar deliberately handled outside of the area clearly preventing a goal scoring oppoertuniting (all be it to Junior Bent) and was only awarded a yellow to disamy of the massed ranks of Cidereds :disapointed2se:

Let him go

Far too many mistakes in the games he's played, look at wolves away for example.

I think we should let weale go and step Henderson to number 2 and then bring in another young keeper

Seen a few good ones like Rhys Taylor of Chelsea only 17 (i think) and is playing for wales under 18s

Worth a shout...?

bit of a shame he is one of many players under GJ not really given a fair chance - definitely a good keeper that he will prove more next season. If henderson didn't look as good as he does i would be a little dissappointed but with basso and SH we have little to worry about

On balance I am not too upset that Weale has left although I would not have been disappointed to see him stay either!! Basso is clearly a proven Championship standard goalkeeper and from what limited action I have seen of Henderson we need not worry if Basso's form dips or he gets a serious injury rather than a bruise which forces him off the pitch!! Weale still has it all to prove in my view that he can last the pace and put in forty odd Championship standard performances over a long hard season. So perhaps it was inevitable that Basso would be the one retained. We certainly didn't require three goalkeepers within the context that the Guardian have us down as one of the lower end payers in the league and our squad needs bolstering with quality in other areas. The saving on Weale's wages will undoubtedly help in that regard.

My feeling is that Basso will be the Number 1 for next season, Henderson will be pushing him hard the following season and then Henderson should be about right to take over with Basso as cover perhaps. We will then need another keeper to challenge Henderson properly.

Disappointed but far from a disaster.

Basso isnt getting any younger and, despite being an outstanding shot stopper, is overrated due to a fantastic debut Championship season.

This decision speaks more for how highly Johnson rates Henderson than Basso.

That being said Weale was a free agent and, without assurances in regard to first team opportunities, was always likely to take the Leicester number one shirt rather than occupy the Bristol City bench.

Weale is an ok keeper but Henderson looks to be a great prospect. Henderson won't want to be 3rd choice now he has had a taste of the action so we either lose a young good prospect or an out of contract injury prone half decent keeper.......no brainer really but good luck to CW and i hope you have a stinker against us (:

Weale is an ok keeper but Henderson looks to be a great prospect. Henderson won't want to be 3rd choice now he has had a taste of the action so we either lose a young good prospect or an out of contract injury prone half decent keeper.......no brainer really but good luck to CW and i hope you have a stinker against us (:

Leicester have already signed 4 players - almost makes a nonsense of all the talk about targets taking a long time to acquire...

He was injured and unavailable for most of the time. He had his chances, but in the end, was deemed not as good as a fit Basso (which I agree with), does not make him a bad keeper though, far from it, fit and injury free, sure he can do a job in the Championship. With Hendo showing promise, it is logical we let him go. You can get a keeper on loan pretty easily anyway. We need all the money we can spent on some quality outfield players, much as we all , and the boss agree with.

Agree with much of what you say but not that bit. When Basso was injured and Weale got a game, it was only ever a game or two, he was dropped as soon as Basso was fit again, so he never got the chance of a decent run in the side. Weale did have injuries but so does Basso, and players in the first team regularly tend to become hardier and shake off injury better.

Right now Basso is better (even though IMO overrated) but he is 34 and even for a keeper that is near the end of a career - he is only going to decline now especially since much of his game is agility and reflexes over positioning, strength and presence. We would be better off in the medium term with Weale and Henderson over Basso and Henderson IMO, I think with a run in an side Weale will develop in leaps and bounds and has the potential to be significantly better than Basso.

Henderson showing promise - yes - in a single sub appearance. And you know that if Basso is injured for any length of time GJ will loan in a keeper who will play instead of Henderson.

Archived